'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jeff Goodman. The dedicated lover.  (Read 16813 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Jeff Goodman. The dedicated lover.
« on: September 13, 2014, 11:48:58 AM »

Williams creating buzz at Virginia Tech
September, 12, 2014

Buzz Williams left an established program in Marquette to build Virginia Tech into a contender.
When the rumblings began that Buzz Williams was leaving Marquette -- a program with a storied history that includes three Final Four appearances and a national championship -- for Virginia Tech, just about everyone associated with college hoops wondered whether Buzz hadn’t lost more than just the hair on his noggin.

What in the heck was he thinking?

There’s one school of thought that says Williams was concerned about the direction of the program at Marquette. If he stayed, you're dealing with the transition from the old Big East to the new Big East where the exposure is a mere shell of what it once was. Williams was worried about lofty expectations, in which his own success was as much to blame as anything, and saw the writing on the wall when he looked at the projected roster for this season. Marquette’s talent level was mediocre.

Then there’s the administration. Williams and the previous athletic director, Larry Williams, hadn’t seen eye-to-eye -- and even though Larry Williams had resigned (many will claim Buzz had something to do with that), Buzz was worried about who would be his next boss.

The options just weren’t there for Buzz -- the self-described hick from Texas who also happened to boast one of the most coveted rollover contracts in all of college basketball at Marquette. Rick Barnes is back on solid footing after a tremendous season in Austin. Billy Kennedy wasn’t reassigned, as some anticipated would be the case. Cuonzo Martin got Tennessee to the NCAA tourney, and didn’t appear to be in any danger of being fired (he later left for California).

So, Williams left for Blacksburg on March 21 -- and proceeded to floor the college basketball community.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=4040
SS Marquette

Groin_pull

• All American
Re: Jeff Goodman. The dedicated lover.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »
Yup. Nice to see he's still shoveling for his good ol' buddy, Brent.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »
Whatever problems/obstacles Bumstead had at MU, were created, in one way or another, by, and only by, Bumstead. He is one strange ass mf'er, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »
Basically I read this as Buzz was too scared to keep at a program where expectations were high so he quit and took a job where people could continue to feed his ego. About right?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 12:09:57 PM »
He panicked and bailed. Took the first gig that bought his chit and would pay him. Wanted Auburn, but they wisely hired Pearl instead.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 12:32:10 PM »
America loves their underdogs.

Always be the underdog...
SS Marquette

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 12:34:26 PM »
First of all, the title of Goodman's article has nothing to do with the content of the article. A more accurate title would be "Why Williams buzzed out of Milwaukee". Buzz and Goodman must really see how dumb this move was, as there are still articles being pumped out nearly 6 months later justifying why he left.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
First of all, the title of Goodman's article has nothing to do with the content of the article. A more accurate title would be "Why Williams buzzed out of Milwaukee". Buzz and Goodman must really see how dumb this move was, as there are still articles being pumped out nearly 6 months later justifying why he left.

Indeed.  Buzz doth protest too much, methinks.   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

jpvegas

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 01:14:29 PM »
I appreciated Buzz for all he did here in his tenure, but one line that got to me from the article "Marquette’s talent level was mediocre" for next year.  Buzz had been here 6 years and the talent level was mediocre, so I would guess that Buzz is to blame for that occurring.  Not only that, if Buzz had stayed, 2 or maybe 3 of the returnees were rumored to be leaving, so the talent would have been more diluted.

I guess Buzz saw the writing on the wall, a 17-15 season followed by a potential losing season and his star would be dimmed.  He took the first job that came calling and made it out of town while he was still a "hot" rising coach.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 01:25:07 PM »
Indeed.  Buzz doth protest too much, methinks.   ;)

+1

source?

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »
I appreciated Buzz for all he did here in his tenure, but one line that got to me from the article "Marquette’s talent level was mediocre" for next year.  Buzz had been here 6 years and the talent level was mediocre, so I would guess that Buzz is to blame for that occurring.  Not only that, if Buzz had stayed, 2 or maybe 3 of the returnees were rumored to be leaving, so the talent would have been more diluted.

I guess Buzz saw the writing on the wall, a 17-15 season followed by a potential losing season and his star would be dimmed.  He took the first job that came calling and made it out of town while he was still a "hot" rising coach.

Yeah, I thought that was funny too. "When I saw the house was burning down, I figured I should grab my gasoline and lighter and get the hell out of there."

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 01:50:19 PM »
If that article doesn't motivate Wojo and the team, nothing will.  It will be interesting to see if Virginia Tech remains a doormat in the ACC and if Marquette continues to be a BB power.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »
Umm thats what coaches do... As soon as the rose is off the bloom n they fear termnation or the lack of a rollover extension they bail for a new honeymoon period and a new rollover.  Guys like tubby, alford, buzz and others do it all the time.  You really cannot blame yhem if they think its the case.  In their shoes would u rather possibly get fired or a new opportunity else where.  Is it that hard of a decision when ur in ur 40s, or 50's n still want to be a head coach at a big time institution?  Something Crean might want to consider right about now

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »
Since Indiana is supposed to be an elite location, what excuse could Crean give for bailing?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »
I really believe MU didn't want Buzz anymore and he knew it.  I'm hearing more about this being the case, plain and simple.  I think pretty damning evidence of this is a) he took a bad college basketball job for LESS money, and b) I've never heard or read anything in the months of aftermath of his departure about MU making any toward of a play to try to change his mind, sweeten his deal at MU, get the fat cat alumni donors together to offer him something to stay, etc.   Those two circumstances don't collide unless you have a coach who knows he's not wanted anymore by his employer.  

He is a weird guy and maybe he didn't like the new Big East, but those two things do not drive a man to less money at a terrible men's basketball program. Especially when he could have had much better jobs before VT.  You look at the timing of all of this, and it just points to Buzz knowing full well the MU community was tired of his sleazy act.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:30:22 PM by HutchwasClutch »

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »
Here's the screen grab from the ACTUAL title and subtitle (See pic).

"Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:34:36 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 02:37:23 PM »
Basically I read this as Buzz was too scared to keep at a program where expectations were high so he quit and took a job where people could continue to feed his ego. About right?

And anyone who buys the crapola of his leaving being due to high expectations surrounding the program is really gullible.  That theory is a total crock.  Expectations have always been very high at MU, and when he took over, he was taking over a team and program dominated by a senior class, had been to three consecutive NCAA's, was only 5 years removed from a Final Four, will forever live in the McGuire era shadow, etc..  We've always expected big things of this program and consistency.  

(chitownwarrior, I know you were only trying to paraphrase the article, my comments are not directed at you.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:43:52 PM by HutchwasClutch »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 02:42:24 PM »
I'm not as convinced as others that Goodman is totally in the bag for Buzz (which frankly I could care less if he is) as much as ESPN loves ACC basketball almost as much as they love the Yankees and Red Sox.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 02:43:06 PM »
Goodman was in the bag for Buzz when he was at MU too.  It just didn't annoy us then.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 02:49:03 PM »
Anyone care to share the comments to the article? I'm interested in seeing what the general public has to say about the article.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »
I predict that in five years that Buzz will have a more checkered post MU career than KO. He caught lightning in a bottle here and glad he did. That said, it is hard to do that again. Three years ago the school tired of him and he knew it. He will be a guy making lateral or backwards career choices from here out.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 02:56:15 PM »
Since Indiana is supposed to be an elite location, what excuse could Crean give for bailing?

Well i guess i can translate for u.  If crean thinks he may be fired he can do what many coaches do and that is take a new say 7 year deal at another bcs institution.  Instead of getting fired in a year or two and being an assistant somewhere or taking a job at a lesser institution.  Happens all the time alford to nm, tubby to minny n again to tt, buzz to vt.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »
Buzz wasn't going to get fired.  Not anytime soon at least.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 03:09:44 PM »
Is there that much interest in buzz or virginia tech that this story keeps getting re-told over and over without revealing any new info?  If not affiliated with mu or vt, why would anyone care?  And since no one at vt cares about basketball during football season, it's more difficult to understand why this story is being rehashed once again.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »

Wanting a bigger challenge.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 06:35:42 PM »
Is there that much interest in buzz or virginia tech that this story keeps getting re-told over and over without revealing any new info?  If not affiliated with mu or vt, why would anyone care?  And since no one at vt cares about basketball during football season, it's more difficult to understand why this story is being rehashed once again.

If I had to guess Buzz called his buddy Goodman to do some PR damage control to try and convince everyone this was a good move. If he truly thought they were gonna be successful, he would just shut his mouth and let the team do the talking. None of this BS about the new big East can't recruit. (Which is a total lie see Jaylen Brunson and MU soon to be top 5 recruiting class)

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »
Here's the screen grab from the ACTUAL title and subtitle (See pic).

"Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Buzz setup for success at Virginia Tech?  I guess that's what running off almost all of the talent that was there gets you.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 06:43:06 PM »
I'm not as convinced as others that Goodman is totally in the bag for Buzz (which frankly I could care less if he is) as much as ESPN loves ACC basketball almost as much as they love the Yankees and Red Sox.

Buzz has had a rough going this first year of recruiting for Virginia Tech.  He's still in the running for three top 100 guys, but he doesn't lead for any of them.  I don't think that its out there to suggest that Goodman is trying to help him out on the recruiting front.  Check out the article's subtitle: "Buzz Williams is setup for success.  It could come sooner than expected."

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 06:59:51 PM »
Here's the rest of the article, it should make the headline become more understandable...

Now the question becomes whether Williams -- who led Marquette to the NCAA tournament in each of his first five seasons and took the program to an Elite Eight and a pair of Sweet 16s -- can make Virginia Tech nationally relevant again.

Yes, again.

My colleague Seth Greenberg (aka Mr. Bubble) had the program in the conversation just about every year. He took Virginia Tech to one NCAA tourney and was on the verge of going on a half-dozen occasions within an eight-year span after the Hokies entered the ACC. In a five-year stretch from 2007 to 2011, the program finished in the top four every year except for one -- and racked up 45 victories in one of the most powerful leagues in America.

Williams, 42, is regarded as one of the top young coaches in the country. He’s a blue-collar guy who has achieved notoriety, particularly within the industry, because more often than not his players go harder than those on the other side of the court.

• Enlarge

AP Photo/Timothy D. Easley
Louisville star Montrezl Harrell was set to go to Virginia Tech prior to Seth Greenberg's firing in 2012.
Williams inherited a Virginia Tech roster that ranks among the worst in the league after James Johnson was unable to keep Dorian Finney-Smith and signee Montrezl Harrell when he took over for Greenberg in 2012. Johnson lasted just two seasons and won only six ACC contests.

But there is hope. Williams now has an athletic director in Whit Babcock who he trusts and who will do whatever it takes to make certain the program can compete with most programs in the league. Babcock was at Cincinnati and Bearcats coach Mick Cronin was critical in helping to unite the two in Blacksburg.

“Whit understands how to help a coach, fiscally and mentally,” Cronin said. “His background as the son of a coach gives him a tremendous understanding of what coaches go through -- when to help and when to listen are great attributes of a leader and he has those skills.”

“He has a real vision and a commitment to giving Buzz the resources to be competitive,” Greenberg said of Babcock.

Check Virginia Tech’s schedule. Buzz Williams is able to essentially buy victories by bringing in lackluster teams to Blacksburg in exchange for a nice paycheck. The nonconference schedule for this season is laughable, which makes sense given the roster, and includes home contests against the likes of Alabama A&M, Citadel, Presbyterian, Radford, VMI and Maryland-Eastern Shore. Not to mention two more home dates at Cassell Coliseum as part of the Cancun Challenge against Liberty and Appalachian State. As Dickie V would say, "It’s cupcake city, baby!"

Williams can also sell comparable facilities, and he has far more access to the use of a private plane -- which is huge nowadays for recruiting purposes -- than his predecessors had. His assistants are also being compensated at a level which falls in line with fellow ACC programs, after they were getting far less under both Johnson and Greenberg.

There’s finally true support behind the basketball program.

Expect Virginia Tech to finish toward the cellar of the ACC this season. Realistically, the only teams it should be able to beat are Boston College, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech and Clemson.

However, Williams needs time and patience. It’s difficult to get elite-level recruits to Blacksburg, but Williams has proven he doesn’t necessarily need those guys in order to win. He works better with grinders, guys who are passed over for one reason or another. He helped develop Lazar Hayward into a first-round pick, took unknowns like Jae Crowder and Jimmy Butler into the NBA and won plenty of games with a rotund big man in Davante Gardner and another in Chris Otule who was blind in one eye.

Williams can evaluate. He’ll have to rely on that gift even more at Virginia Tech. He didn’t have the luxury of being able to sift through an abundance of local talent while at Marquette, and he’ll have more areas to cultivate nowadays: Virginia, North Carolina, Baltimore and even Atlanta and northern Florida. Greenberg landed Dorenzo Hudson, J.T. Thompson and Harrell out of North Carolina. He got Finney-Smith out of Virginia.

There isn’t much in the cupboard. He’ll have a couple of freshmen that could be high-level ACC players, and he landed one of the biggest prizes of the transfer season in ex-Maryland guard Seth Allen.

Williams wasted no time making a name for himself in his second stint as a head coach (he spent one season at New Orleans), but inherited a group of hard-nosed, veteran guards (Wes Matthews, Dominic James and Jerel McNeal) at Marquette and took them to the NCAA tourney in his first season after Tom Crean left for Bloomington.

This time it’s not going to happen fast -- but it’ll happen.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 07:01:06 PM »
And here are the comments.....

Brian Mulligan
"Exposure a mere shell of what it was" By my count Marquette will appear on national television at least 25 times. How many times will the Hokies, especially with that non-conference schedule, make appearances on ANY TV? Marquette's doing just fine with Coach Wojciechowski having already signed 3 4-star recruits to go along with two highly regarded transfers and the likely signing of ESPN's #4 ranked player. It will be interesting to see what Coach Wojciechowski can do with the "mediocre" talent Buzz left behind (interesting that the roster has 7 players who were ranked in top 100 of their respective classes; 6 of those being frosh & sophs). So all the best to Buzz but Marquette's going to be just fine without him.
Yesterday at 11:29am
3 people

Mack Ashley Potter
I think Marquette will be just fine also. But you're not getting Henry Ellenson or Diamond Stone. Stone probably ends up at Wisconsin and Calipari will get Ellenson if he wants him bad enough.
Yesterday at 8:13pm · Like

Randy Lukomski
Whose fault is it that he had an established program with mediocre players? Buzzcentric!
Yesterday at 10:40am
3 people

Scott Zoeller
Goodman - we already know you get half your "inside" recruiting information from Buzz so I understand having to pay him back someway. However, but do you really feel it's necessary to continue writing articles about a guy who's team will be so bad for at least two years that other ACC teams are going to complain about their RPI taking a hit after beating them.
Yesterday at 12:50pm

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 08:49:38 PM »
I would not be surprised if VT loses to at least one of those cupcakes.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:17 PM »
Whatever problems/obstacles Bumstead had at MU, were created, in one way or another, by, and only by, Bumstead. He is one strange ass mf'er, hey?

He sure was. Most Uncomfortable speech of his I heard was that one Marquette banquet when he told white Burke he was the worst player on the team and one of the worst he coached. Somehow led to an inspirational talk about how he overcame his lack of talent to produce, but it was so bad my friend was going to fake a heart attack to make it stop.  We laughed about it, but Buzz sure had an unusual way of motivating has players.

His character revealed schtick was ironic to say the least.  I appreciate the wins he brought us, but I feel better with the new coach in tow... Much better fit for our University
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

royceda5 9

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 11:21:39 PM »
Buzz it's going to be great flying coach! Recruits love that $h!t!

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 11:06:21 AM »
It's always funny to me when these articles refer to the returning talent as mediocre, lackluster, average. Even if it was/is, who is responsible for that talent?

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »
It's always funny to me when these articles refer to the returning talent as mediocre, lackluster, average. Even if it was/is, who is responsible for that talent?

Yup.

That's why this dude left the comment:

"Randy Lukomski
Whose fault is it that he had an established program with mediocre players? Buzzcentric!"
SS Marquette

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »
If Buzz had simply left for another job and turned the page, while his mouthpieces went quiet until he'd achieved some success at his next stop, I wouldn't care how he did at his next school. But the countless articles we've read like this one actually kind of make me want to see him fail.
No Finish Line

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2014, 05:11:54 PM »
If Buzz had simply left for another job and turned the page, while his mouthpieces went quiet until he'd achieved some success at his next stop, I wouldn't care how he did at his next school. But the countless articles we've read like this one actually kind of make me want to see him fail.
Exactly, what a cheap way to leave.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »
You've never been so right. It's actually getting weird. Why is this story still being told?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2014, 09:35:47 PM »

Character revealed

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »
a) he took a bad college basketball job for LESS money, bs before VT.
Quit repeating this lie. First, given the terms of his contract, the money is more guaranteed money. Second, if you look at the terms of the contract, he can basically get unlimited money from outside sources for Team Buzz Williams that is outside the control of the University. It is a unique clause in college athletics. And it wide open to abuse.
And I bet that Team Buzz Williams coffers are overflowing at the moment.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2014, 11:31:17 PM »
Quit repeating this lie. First, given the terms of his contract, the money is more guaranteed money. Second, if you look at the terms of the contract, he can basically get unlimited money from outside sources for Team Buzz Williams that is outside the control of the University. It is a unique clause in college athletics. And it wide open to abuse.
And I bet that Team Buzz Williams coffers are overflowing at the moment.

But he was two years away from $4 million/year at MU.  At best the money was the same, and probably worse.  If it was more, it was marginally more.

Problem is we will never know as Team Buzz terrm's and MU's numbers (private university) are not released.

Oh, and the VT plane is worse than the MU plane.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2014, 11:35:14 PM »
But he was two years away from $4 million/year at MU.  At best the money was the same, and probably worse.  If it was more, it was marginally more.

Problem is we will never know as Team Buzz terrm's and MU's numbers (private university) are not released.

Oh, and the VT plane is worse than the MU plane.
Do they have a jet at vt? MUs is hella nice.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2014, 12:49:09 AM »
Do they have a jet at vt? MUs is hella nice.

I wonder how the state will monitor and scrutinize its use since VT is a public university.

At least with MU, lots of those figures don't have to be published.
SS Marquette

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2014, 07:19:26 AM »
VT's plane

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N69VT

Note that Buzz is nottheonly one that uses it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
I wonder how the state will monitor and scrutinize its use since VT is a public university.

At least with MU, lots of those figures don't have to be published.

Note that the jet isn't owned by the state, but by the Virginia Tech Foundation - a private entity. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2014, 11:08:38 AM »

Note that the jet isn't owned by the state, but by the Virginia Tech Foundation - a private entity. 

but their football coach has 1st dibs on it

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »
Buzz is a true wildcard.

VT isn't the first weird decision he's made. He's got a track record.

When he was winning for MU, we loved the quirks. Winning = Likable.

Now that he's gone, we criticize his quirks.

The truth is, he's the same guy he always was. He has a very specific viewpoint on the world. That makes him interesting, but also a bit scary (because he's so different).

I think he'll always thrive in an underdog role, but his personality makes it tough for him to accept high expectations and criticism. He burns hot, and while I think he'll be successful, I don't know that he's destined to coach for a long time. He just runs too hot, and I think it's almost impossible to keep that up for a long time.

Honestly, the guy needs a legit hobby and some weekly meditation time. Would make him a better person and a better coach. (my outsiders opinion).

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »
Buzz is a true wildcard.

The truth is, he's the same guy he always was. He has a very specific viewpoint on the world. That makes him interesting, but also a bit scary (because he's so different).

I think he'll always thrive in an underdog role, but his personality makes it tough for him to accept high expectations and criticism. He burns hot, and while I think he'll be successful, I don't know that he's destined to coach for a long time. He just runs too hot, and I think it's almost impossible to keep that up for a long time.

Honestly, the guy needs a legit hobby and some weekly meditation time. Would make him a better person and a better coach. (my outsiders opinion).

Fair analysis. Generally agree.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2014, 12:10:06 PM »
Buzz is a true wildcard.

I think the "Buzz is different" trope has rocketed to mythological status. Brent Williams is a classic country person with an anti-rich kid hangup that permeates his entire being. His passion happens to be a lucrative way to make a living and as a result has been "granted" admittance into a rich world not only beyond his imagination but beyond the imaginations of 91% of the citizens in our country.

Few assimilate. Most don't. No shock Buzz has had those problems. As a result, it's much more comforting to go back to what is "home" and for Buzz that's a low expectation, no hope, backwater progrum deep in the heart with "his" people. His choice to decimate the MU athletics hierarchy before deserting the program in the middle of the night should never have surprised a Marquette supporter.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2014, 12:33:36 PM »
I think the "Buzz is different" trope has rocketed to mythological status. Brent Williams is a classic country person with an anti-rich kid hangup that permeates his entire being. His passion happens to be a lucrative way to make a living and as a result has been "granted" admittance into a rich world not only beyond his imagination but beyond the imaginations of 91% of the citizens in our country.

Few assimilate. Most don't. No shock Buzz has had those problems. As a result, it's much more comforting to go back to what is "home" and for Buzz that's a low expectation, no hope, backwater progrum deep in the heart with "his" people. His choice to decimate the MU athletics hierarchy before deserting the program in the middle of the night should never have surprised a Marquette supporter.

My "Buzz is different" viewpoint comes from his career decisions and work-style, not just his southern ways. Now, as far as his whole underdog persona and comfort level, I believe you are correct with that. But, as far as his professional decisions and approach, I think he's just a wildcard.

- Left a HC job to take an ASST. job at MU. (Obviously it worked out, but that was viewed as a radical move at the time)
- Wrote hundreds/thousands of letters to coaches each month
- Tried to get an asst. job by sitting in a lobby at the final 4 and talking to every coach he could find
- When asked about free throws, always said "Just be tough enough to make a free throw". Never said anything about players practicing on their own time, etc.
- Used unknown metrics like "paint touches" to develop an offensive and defensive philosophy
- Started guys for 3min per half, and then would never put them back in (Juan, Erik Williams)

When Buzz was winning, we didn't cry much about the wildcard decisions. He's just eccentric.

Now that Buzz is gone, there is some clarity (the guy is indeed weird), but also some sour grapes (THAT GUY IS TOO WEIRD! I'M GLAD HE'S GONE *shakes fist*)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 12:37:16 PM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »

Too much over analyzing about the guy's personality.

He did some good, wasn't entirely on the up and up, a lot more thin skinned than we thought, more talk than a true leader, and we are moving forward in a good direction now.  That should be really all there is to say about it.  Boggles my mind how guys get paid to write about Buzz Williams.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2014, 12:40:32 PM »
The truth is, like with pretty much everyone else, Buzz wasn't quite as positive as he was portrayed when things were going good.  And he isn't as negative as he is being portrayed now on Scoop. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2014, 12:44:59 PM »
The truth is, like with pretty much everyone else, Buzz wasn't quite as positive as he was portrayed when things were going good.  And he isn't as negative as he is being portrayed now on Scoop. 

Agreed, and absence can bring objectivity (if we let it).