'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New ESPN Top 100  (Read 11681 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
New ESPN Top 100
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:41:01 AM »
Ellenson moves up to #4. Stone drops to #6.

#69 for Noskowiak
#79 for Cheatham

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
Re: New ESPN Top 100
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »
Ellenson moves up to #4. Stone drops to #6.

#69 for Noskowiak
#79 for Cheatham

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

Pretty amazing for Wisconsin to have #4 and #6 players. I'm relatively young but I don't remember Wisconsin ever having two recruits so high on these types of lists. Any of the old-timers remember a year when Wisconsin had as strong a class at the top?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 08:59:38 AM »
Y'all got wood?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:05:08 AM »
Amazing that they have Heldt downgraded slightly from 81 to 80 when all the other services have him moving up.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 09:24:51 AM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 09:46:53 AM »
Other notables:

Levan Alston: #85
Davon Dillard: #93
Brant Crawford: #100

I too am surprised by Heldt's downgrade.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
*Sees ESPN has Ellenson the highest of any source and Noskowiak and Cheatham on the high end of rankings for them*  Clearly ESPN has the most knowledgeable high school basketball scouts and the most accurate rankings.

*Sees Heldt isn't even ranked, as opposed to just about every other service*  ESPN's high school scouting is embarrassing.  They need to put more time and effort into this or just not do it at all.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 10:00:30 AM »
*Sees ESPN has Ellenson the highest of any source and Noskowiak and Cheatham on the high end of rankings for them*  Clearly ESPN has the most knowledgeable high school basketball scouts and the most accurate rankings.

*Sees Heldt isn't even ranked, as opposed to just about every other service*  ESPN's high school scouting is embarrassing.  They need to put more time and effort into this or just not do it at all.

+1

That's how I look at fantasy football rankings for my team too, which is why I suck

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 10:08:39 AM »
Pretty amazing for Wisconsin to have #4 and #6 players. I'm relatively young but I don't remember Wisconsin ever having two recruits so high on these types of lists. Any of the old-timers remember a year when Wisconsin had as strong a class at the top?
Washington High School had two very highly rated players. I think one was named Mills and I do not remember where he ended up. Grades may have been an issue for him. The other was a 5'9" point guard who went to Kansas.

brandx

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »
Washington High School had two very highly rated players. I think one was named Mills and I do not remember where he ended up. Grades may have been an issue for him. The other was a 5'9" point guard who went to Kansas.

Calvin Rayford.

Both ranked pretty high but not top 10.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 10:24:01 AM »
Brunson 4 star??

starting5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »
Calvin Rayford.

Both ranked pretty high but not top 10.

Calvin Rayford and Silas Mills from Washington.  I beleive they lost to Tosa East in a Regional Final.  Silas went to a Juco out west and was supposed to go to Utah with Majerus but ended up at Utah St.  That 1990 class was a very good class in WI. Ric Cobb had an AAU team that did very well nationally before you had national tournaments every weekend
Damon Key
Jimmy Mac
Logtermann
Ty Evans
Kevin Rankin 6'11 kid that went to Northwestern and beat MUHS in the WISAA finals on the final shot ever taken by DePere Abbot Pennings.  Was on the sophomore team at MUHS at the time and I am still in shock over that shot.  Not sure when the last time a WISAA or WIAA tournament had 3 high major centers 6'9+ in the field.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 10:42:17 AM »
My overriding pessimism keeps telling me we will finish second on Ellenson, but I sure hope I'm wrong.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 10:43:52 AM »
My overriding pessimism keeps telling me we will finish second on Ellenson, but I sure hope I'm wrong.

I feel ya just somthing about Kentucky

brandx

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »

Calvin Rayford and Silas Mills from Washington.  I beleive they lost to Tosa East in a Regional Final.  Silas went to a Juco out west and was supposed to go to Utah with Majerus but ended up at Utah St.  That 1990 class was a very good class in WI. Ric Cobb had an AAU team that did very well nationally before you had national tournaments every weekend
Damon Key
Jimmy Mac
Logtermann
Ty Evans
Kevin Rankin 6'11 kid that went to Northwestern and beat MUHS in the WISAA finals on the final shot ever taken by DePere Abbot Pennings.  Was on the sophomore team at MUHS at the time and I am still in shock over that shot.  Not sure when the last time a WISAA or WIAA tournament had 3 high major centers 6'9+ in the field.

Good post, Starting 5.

Majerus did recruit MIlls who never actually played for him. If I recall, he went to several JCs and ended up playing for that respected leader of men, Larry Eustachy who manges to make Bruce Pearl look like the pope. Could have been a great Utah team though, with Mills and Keith Van Horne.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 11:19:37 AM »

I feel ya just somthing about Kentucky

Agreed, but Kentucky has to make him a priority before we have to worry. Ellenson is about number 14 on their priority list. We should have him locked up before then.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
Amazing that they have Heldt downgraded slightly from 81 to 80 when all the other services have him moving up.
Heldt's 80 rating has him pretty much tied with #94 - #100, yet he is not an ESPN 100 player. Don't know what parameters they used to distinguish the players with 80 rankings. No worries though. I've seen them all play except Cheatham and if we get Ellingsen, this will be one epic class. Wish we still had McKay (and Juan would have been the one to leave, or re-leave). Excited nonetheless.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 02:07:02 PM »
Heldt's 80 rating has him pretty much tied with #94 - #100, yet he is not an ESPN 100 player. Don't know what parameters they used to distinguish the players with 80 rankings. No worries though. I've seen them all play except Cheatham and if we get Ellingsen, this will be one epic class. Wish we still had McKay (and Juan would have been the one to leave, or re-leave). Excited nonetheless.

The hell is Ellingsen?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »
The hell is Ellingsen?

I think he might be related to Devante.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »
The hell is Ellingsen?
I have done this so many times I must have a mental block. Working with a guy with the same name and spelling does not help.

brandx

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 02:25:12 PM »
I have done this so many times I must have a mental block. Working with a guy with the same name and spelling does not help.

Certainly think you are credible enough on this board to get away with it.

brandx

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 02:28:35 PM »

Rating feels about right to me..

Heldt reminds me of when we would be in the NCAAs and would play a mid-major with a 6'11" center who could shoot and averaged about 15/8.

I'd always think (especially the years that we lacked size) why couldn't we get guys like this. I think he will be a solid guy in the rotation and possible a stater in his last two years for us.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 03:13:24 PM »
Heldt reminds me of when we would be in the NCAAs and would play a mid-major with a 6'11" center who could shoot and averaged about 15/8.
Exactly. But I would say Heldt looks like that guy right now -- a coordinated big with a little softness to his frame. Once he gets in the weight room, he is going to a beast by junior year. IMO both Fischer and Heldt will make huge strides once their bodies get D1 strength. Davante was a great scorer, and Otule served us pretty well on D, but our new bigs will have solid skills on both sides of the court. That will be a welcome change to the sub in and out all game because Davante couldn't guard anyone and Otule had no post game. This is just a guess, but I think we will see a much more even flow to the games with Wojo. In my world, volume scorers like JJJ, Duane and Deonte will come out when they are gassed, not every few minutes. Derrick will come in to "hold the fort down" while the point gets rest -- he will play great D, limit mistakes and run the show. It will be an interesting year, especially being so undersized to start the season, but I am optimistic that we are building something very special. Looking forward to the Ellensen (I can spell it right) commitment.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »
The hell is Ellingsen?

You've never heard of Duke Ellingsen?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »
Exactly. But I would say Heldt looks like that guy right now -- a coordinated big with a little softness to his frame. Once he gets in the weight room, he is going to a beast by junior year. IMO both Fischer and Heldt will make huge strides once their bodies get D1 strength. Davante was a great scorer, and Otule served us pretty well on D, but our new bigs will have solid skills on both sides of the court. That will be a welcome change to the sub in and out all game because Davante couldn't guard anyone and Otule had no post game. This is just a guess, but I think we will see a much more even flow to the games with Wojo. In my world, volume scorers like JJJ, Duane and Deonte will come out when they are gassed, not every few minutes. Derrick will come in to "hold the fort down" while the point gets rest -- he will play great D, limit mistakes and run the show. It will be an interesting year, especially being so undersized to start the season, but I am optimistic that we are building something very special. Looking forward to the Ellensen (I can spell it right) commitment.

Ellenson...

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »
Ellenson...
I punished myself with a name change

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »

Ha!  Everyone should change their username to include "Ellenson" until he commits.

Wade-A-Minute

• Walk-On
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 05:28:52 PM »
Any of the old-timers remember a year when Wisconsin had as strong a class at the top?

Maybe not as strong as 2015 at the top but 1976 was special...

6'10" Jeff Wolf kohler - UNC
6'10" Kurt Nimphius So Milw. - ASU
6'9" Bill Butrym MUHS - Creighton
6'7" Joe Chrnelich Pius - UW
6'7" Dick Miller Thom Moore - Toledo
6'7" Charlie Brown Whitefish Bay - Cornell
6'7" Jeff Goldstein W.A. Central - Cincinnati/Concordia
6'5" Tom Warda MUHS - Ole Miss/St. Mary's
6'5" Jim Smallins Whitefish Bay - Princeton

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 08:46:15 PM »

New name is great!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:50:33 PM by Heavy Gear »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2014, 04:07:51 PM »
Everyone realizes that if Henry Sugar changes his name, it'll just be Henry Ellenson,right>
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.