[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: ESPN's Take On Haanif  (Read 11909 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
ESPN's Take On Haanif
« on: September 10, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=11534

I don't know if this has been posted or not. Apologies if it has.

Mostly stuff we already knew but I found two things interesting. One, they list Haanif as a point guard and compare his style to Michael Carter-Williams. Two, the article says "Cheatham joins two other four-star prospects in ESPN 100 PG Nick Noskowiak and C Matt Heldt." It could be a typo, but I know the next ESPN 100 is due to be released this week. I'm hoping this means that Mr. Heldt is going to be included in the next set of rankings.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: ESPN's Take On Haanif
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 01:29:08 PM »
Here's the article's text.

Shooting guard Haanif Cheatham, No. 78 in the ESPN 100, has committed to Marquette over California and Georgetown.

Check out what Cheatham brings to the Golden Eagles' program.

Why he committed: "Coach [Steve] Wojciechowski showed me love ever since he saw me play and I felt most comfortable with the campus life ,coaches and players. I feel I can get better as a person and player on and off the court," Cheatham said.

What he brings: Cheatham possesses excellent length and skill and brings great versatility to the perimeter,where he has the ability to excel at all three perimeter positions. He can make plays for himself and teammates with his unselfish approach and high basketball IQ. He is a glue guy who not only knows his job but the players he is on the court with.

Haanif Cheatham
Point guard
Committed: Marquette

Pos Rk   Stars   Grade   Hometown
85   Fort Lauderdale, FL

How he fits: Cheatham will have the luxury to play and defend multiple positions with his great versatility. He will be a tough matchup as well due to his size and skill set. Expect Cheatham to excel and make excellent decisions on the fast break and be a terrific fit in the spread offensive motion style. He will fit well on defense, too, because he will be able to switch on to all three perimeter positions and still apply excellent pressure.

Who he reminds us of: Cheatham's game has a number of similarities to Michael Carter-Williams on whom he models his game. Both are extremely versatile, calm and under control throughout the game regardless of the situation.

How the class is shaping up: Cheatham joins two other four-star prospects in ESPN 100 PG Nick Noskowiak and C Matt Heldt to give the Golden Eagles an excellent foundation to build upon.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »
Sounds like a Buzz Williams switchable recruit, except for the high basketball IQ part.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »
Sounds like a Buzz Williams switchable recruit, except for the high basketball IQ part.

Looks like he can shoot, too.  Another key differentiator.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »
Can anyone type out the phonetic spelling of his name?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
hah-NEEF CHEET-um

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 03:34:17 PM »
Sounds like Trent Lockett

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »

Making excellent decisions on the break wasn't Lockett's forte. He was strong in the half-court offense to be sure. The versatility and decision making is spot-on, though.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »
I'll go with the Carter-Williams comparison.  If Haanif turns out to be anywhere near that good......

brandx

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 04:09:57 PM »
Thanks for the post TAMU.

brandx

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 04:10:38 PM »
I'll go with the Carter-Williams comparison.  If Haanif turns out to be anywhere near that good......

As long as he is a better shooter than MCW....

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 04:13:17 PM »
He is also a good student.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 04:16:12 PM »

What language you talkin' Bro? 'Splain to me how "hah-Neef Cheet-um" sounds like Lockett.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mumagz84

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 09:22:31 AM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/post?id=11534

I don't know if this has been posted or not. Apologies if it has.

Mostly stuff we already knew but I found two things interesting. One, they list Haanif as a point guard and compare his style to Michael Carter-Williams. Two, the article says "Cheatham joins two other four-star prospects in ESPN 100 PG Nick Noskowiak and C Matt Heldt." It could be a typo, but I know the next ESPN 100 is due to be released this week. I'm hoping this means that Mr. Heldt is going to be included in the next set of rankings.

I think the article was simply referencing that Cheatham was joining two other four-star recruits.  Although Heldt didn't make it in today's updated ESPN100 list, I do believe he still has a good chance of making in there later this year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »

Buzz players didn't have a high basketball IQ?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »

Buzz players didn't have a high basketball IQ?

Considering that basketball IQ isn't correlated with regular IQ, I'd say yes... Buzz recruited a bunch of guys who had talent, and who may have been intelligent, but did not have very good BIQs.

The greatest indication of low BIQ is having a ridiculous amount of raw, athletic talent that yields results much lower than commensurate with said talent (Vander) or vice versa (Davante).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »
Considering that basketball IQ isn't correlated with regular IQ, I'd say yes... Buzz recruited a bunch of guys who had talent, and who may have been intelligent, but did not have very good BIQs.

The greatest indication of low BIQ is having a ridiculous amount of raw, athletic talent that yields results much lower than commensurate with said talent (Vander) or vice versa (Davante).

I'm not going to get into a debate about the BIQ level of each player, but I think the blanket statement that Buzz's players didn't have a high BIQ is a false one.  Some did.  Some didn't.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:34 AM »

I'm not going to get into a debate about the BIQ level of each player, but I think the blanket statement that Buzz's players didn't have a high BIQ is a false one.  Some did.  Some didn't.
It seemed like his JC players had a good BIQ. Many of his top 100 recruits did not. They could not play, because they never knew where to be on the court. Eric Williams was a good example of this.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 08:48:42 PM »

What language you talkin' Bro? 'Splain to me how "hah-Neef Cheet-um" sounds like Lockett.

This made me laugh.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 09:16:59 AM »

Why he committed: "Coach [Steve] Wojciechowski showed me love ever since he saw me play and I felt most comfortable with the campus life ,coaches and players. I feel I can get better as a person and player on and off the court," Cheatham said.

I wonder how many kids after committing to MU under Al talked about how much "love" he showed them during the recruiting process?  ;)   I don't doubt that Al did love his guys, but I don't think it manifested in how he interacted with them much based on everything I've read and heard about him. 

I'm not saying anything negative about Cheatham, seems like a good guy and character, but all of this "love" and adulation many kids seem to crave, it seems to be such a repetitive theme you hear from them, and I don't think it serves them well as they move on in life.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 09:27:16 AM »

I think of guys like Jimmy Butler and Crowder, I think those guys truly understood the game of basketball and making the right decision on the court came natural for them.

Then I remember Cadougan as one of the worst decision makers I've ever seen play PG, not only for MU, but period.  So I tend to agree, it was hit and miss.  They weren't basketball Einstein's for sure.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 12:55:05 AM »
I think of guys like Jimmy Butler and Crowder, I think those guys truly understood the game of basketball and making the right decision on the court came natural for them.

Then I remember Cadougan as one of the worst decision makers I've ever seen play PG, not only for MU, but period.  So I tend to agree, it was hit and miss.  They weren't basketball Einstein's for sure.
You dont know what the heck you are talking about. Junior was ONE OF THE BEST DESION-MAKERS here.

I don't know what in the world are you were looking at!? What are you talking/typing about? Seriously. . . explain that to me.

You have to be out of your mind. Junior was as smart a player here as they come, second only to Deiner. I would really like to know what you mean by that?

Give me examples. They just did not have anyone who could score off his feeds on his teams. Factor in the system and the team around him.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 12:58:25 AM »

What are you talking about. Don't start ripping the players now that they are gone! Come on now. THEY WON!

And they won games when many thought they couldn't. Close games where you had to execute and know how to play.

How many OT games did MU win in the last 3 years or games decided by 5 or fewer points? Don't give me this. Don't trash them.

They won over 20 games all those years except last year in the Big East no less   

Rudy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 06:49:56 AM »
Hutch was Clutch, I don't know what team you were watching. Junior was a great decision maker. The ball made it to the right spot when it had to...not just the right person, but the right person in the right spot. They won a lot of games due to Junior making good decisions.

What really surprises me is that someone with such a great nickname that recognized how clutch Aaron Hutchins was, could come up with such a stinker of a statement. Too bad Hutch was hurt as a senior (and Lovette was not playing).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 10:17:10 AM »
What was the order of point guards at that time, who came first to last?  I think it was Tony Miller, Aaron Hutchins, and then Cordell Henry.  Was Henry the one who did the "collar tug" when he'd hit a big 3?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter