'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A New Stadium For The 2017 Season?  (Read 112639 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: A New Stadium For The 2017 Season?
« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2014, 09:51:20 AM »
I do have a question for this new proposal...

If they are tearing down both the BC and the MECCA/Cell/Panther Arena to make way for the new arena, where do the Bucks and MU play during construction?

Would the new arena occupy the entire location where both stand or just the location for one of the arenas?  If just one, then I would assume the tear down of the BC, for example, would come only after the new arena is operational.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2014, 09:56:27 AM »
Consolidate three outdated hogs into one, great idea.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #277 on: September 26, 2014, 09:57:06 AM »
We went to the Milwaukee Theater last week during Open Doors Milwaukee (which is awesome..)

I've been there for events, but wow, that is a fantastic building, great venue.  Largest theater in Wisconsin. 

Seems like tearing that down would be a travesty.
It's too bad it has to go, but the location makes to much sense for a much higher use building not to take it down.

As for where we play during construction, if this proposal takes off... my guess is that the BC remains standing until the new area is complete.  The new one will be built over the Mecca and over State street but just up to the BC.  The BC comes down after the new arena is built and the BC is replaced with the entertainment venues, hotel, condos, etc.

If not, we play at the Al, which would be a financial hit unless they jack ticket prices up for one year by a factor of 2. The Bucks?  Madison?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #278 on: September 26, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »
We went to the Milwaukee Theater last week during Open Doors Milwaukee (which is awesome..)

I've been there for events, but wow, that is a fantastic building, great venue.  Largest theater in Wisconsin.  

That's why I want to see a real long-term plan and vision.

I'd like to keep the theater because of it's historic elements and value, but that needs to be evaluated against the long term urban plan.

If they can keep the theater, then that's awesome. If they have a great long-term plan and the theater has to go, then I guess it'll have to go. But, the vision/plan is the important factor. Don't just tear down a theater to plop in a new arena that will need to be replaced in 25 years. This needs to be a long term infrastructure solution (think 50 years ahead), that has some flexibility to evolve.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #279 on: September 26, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »

I've been there for events, but wow, that is a fantastic building, great venue.  Largest theater in Wisconsin. 

The place is really nice, but the travesty was putting all that money into the Theatre in the first place.  The place is only used a few times per year, and there were already plenty of other competing theater options that weren't publicly funded, like the Riverside, PAC, Pabst, Rep, etc.

bork

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2014, 11:09:16 AM »
The place is really nice, but the travesty was putting all that money into the Theatre in the first place.  The place is only used a few times per year, and there were already plenty of other competing theater options that weren't publicly funded, like the Riverside, PAC, Pabst, Rep, etc.

Exactly.  They spent $45 million to convert the auditorium into the theatre and I think $20 million over the years updating the arena.  Meanwhile, they complain that they can't get any conventions because the convention center is too small.  That money would have put a good dent in a convention center expansion.    How does Franky keep his job with his track record?  Oh, that's right.  He isn't elected.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #281 on: September 26, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »
I wish there was a way they could keep the BC around so the Admirals could stay there.  Then the new facility could focus on basketball without having to compromise for hockey.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #282 on: September 26, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »
I wish there was a way they could keep the BC around so the Admirals could stay there.  Then the new facility could focus on basketball without having to compromise for hockey.

Unfortunately, anything that is going to have the backing of multiple parties (including the taxpayers) is going to have to be multipurpose.  And multipurpose arenas suck when it comes to basketball.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #283 on: September 26, 2014, 11:26:16 AM »
We can all blame Riverdance for this Milwaukee Theatre bullcrap.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #284 on: September 26, 2014, 11:28:25 AM »
I was looking at the seating charts for Bankers Life in Indy and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and it's interesting to see how they accommodate hockey.  They extend the ice all the way into one end, so there's no lower level seats behind one end of the rink.  That way they can focus the sight lines on basketball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2014, 11:28:57 AM »
Unfortunately, anything that is going to have the backing of multiple parties (including the taxpayers) is going to have to be multipurpose.  And multipurpose arenas suck when it comes to basketball.

Kohl Center is a great arena for both basketball and hockey.  Bradley Center was simply built a decade too early and there have been all sorts of better examples of how to build multi-purpose arenas since then.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2014, 11:32:26 AM »

I was thinking the same thing until I checked their schedule and realized the traveling Broadway shows run there too. Although there wasn't a single event in September there are 5 in October and the Lion King is there everyday from 11/11 til 12/7.

Maybe they could save the MKE Theater but tear down the Arena and BC and still have enough room if they build on State St.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #287 on: September 29, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »
Twitter tracker for you dunguses.

https://twitter.com/preslovell/status/516675368007507968
@PresLovell: Just had great meeting with Mark and Wes from the Bucks. Looking forward to strengthening our partnership in the future.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2014, 09:51:42 PM »
I was thinking the same thing until I checked their schedule and realized the traveling Broadway shows run there too. Although there wasn't a single event in September there are 5 in October and the Lion King is there everyday from 11/11 til 12/7.

Maybe they could save the MKE Theater but tear down the Arena and BC and still have enough room if they build on State St.

Tear the whole fricking thing down.

Stop being so Milwaukee and recognize the existing facilities have to come down if they build a new place.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #289 on: September 30, 2014, 12:27:26 AM »
That's why I want to see a real long-term plan and vision.

I'd like to keep the theater because of it's historic elements and value, but that needs to be evaluated against the long term urban plan.

If they can keep the theater, then that's awesome. If they have a great long-term plan and the theater has to go, then I guess it'll have to go. But, the vision/plan is the important factor. Don't just tear down a theater to plop in a new arena that will need to be replaced in 25 years. This needs to be a long term infrastructure solution (think 50 years ahead), that has some flexibility to evolve.

Agree wholeheartedly. Isn't it wild though that these old structures that may have to go to make way for new, modern arenas, are 100+ years old? And we think looking 50 years into the future is bold. I realize buildings like the Milwaukee Theater will have to constantly be updated, it's just a shame that building a great new facility while preserving Milwaukee's historic buildings probably won't both happen.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #290 on: September 30, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »

Kohl Center is a great arena for both basketball and hockey.  Bradley Center was simply built a decade too early and there have been all sorts of better examples of how to build multi-purpose arenas since then.

Let's clarify.  You are talking only about the flexibility and site lines at the Kohl Center for both sports and not talking about the arena itself.  I am not impressed with a lot of the Kohl Center outside of the flexibility aspect.

The more I look into the new arena, the more I think it should be placed north of the Bradley Center and be the design focal point as you enter the north part of downtown.  There is open space and more flexibility than anywhere else right now and IMHO, it's still close enough to be part of the convention center, especially if you continue the skywalk system.  Hire Populous and let them make it something that jumpstarts the downtown.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #291 on: September 30, 2014, 08:00:01 AM »
Agree wholeheartedly. Isn't it wild though that these old structures that may have to go to make way for new, modern arenas, are 100+ years old? And we think looking 50 years into the future is bold. I realize buildings like the Milwaukee Theater will have to constantly be updated, it's just a shame that building a great new facility while preserving Milwaukee's historic buildings probably won't both happen.

That's just the thing though.  We shouldn't be tearing down historic structures when there is a perfect plot of land just north of the Bradley Center that would only require the demolition of two very small, non-historic maintenance structures.  Milwaukee has done a much better job than most cities of comparable size of preserving its history in the downtown core.  It would be a shame to start to move in the wrong direction.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #292 on: September 30, 2014, 08:02:08 AM »
Let's clarify.  You are talking only about the flexibility and site lines at the Kohl Center for both sports and not talking about the arena itself.  I am not impressed with a lot of the Kohl Center outside of the flexibility aspect.

Yes.  Exactly.  The Bradley Center is a nicer arena outside of the bowl.  But the Kohl Center is better for a viewing experience.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #293 on: September 30, 2014, 08:21:59 AM »
That's just the thing though.  We shouldn't be tearing down historic structures when there is a perfect plot of land just north of the Bradley Center that would only require the demolition of two very small, non-historic maintenance structures.  Milwaukee has done a much better job than most cities of comparable size of preserving its history in the downtown core.  It would be a shame to start to move in the wrong direction.

In the grand scheme of the word 'historic' either the Arena nor the Theatre really qualify.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #294 on: September 30, 2014, 09:11:26 AM »

Yes and no.

I love historic buildings and I think it's important to preserve them.

However, in this case, if there is a good long-term vision/urban plan that can help Milwaukee, then I would be okay tearing down some historical buildings.

But, just plopping down a shiny new building is not an long term urban re-development plan. Look at what we have now. If we're being honest, the BC is a failure in that aspect. There isn't significant development, and it's out of date in under 30 years.

A new arena needs to be apart of a bigger vision.

OR

Just revamp the BC and see if you can incentivize some more growth north and west of the arena (Park East, Pabst, etc.).

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #295 on: September 30, 2014, 09:48:52 AM »
If a new arena is built I bet that the NBA will host the All Star game there and Milwaukee will put in a bid to get the Final Four or maybe even the Sweet 16 & Elite 8 rather than the first weekend of the tournament.

I know that's only 2 weekends, but that would be good for the city.
Bring back FFP!!!

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #296 on: September 30, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »
But, just plopping down a shiny new building is not an long term urban re-development plan. Look at what we have now. If we're being honest, the BC is a failure in that aspect. There isn't significant development, and it's out of date in under 30 years.

A new arena needs to be apart of a bigger vision.

OR

Just revamp the BC and see if you can incentivize some more growth north and west of the arena (Park East, Pabst, etc.).

Definitely.  I think we've both been on the same page in terms of the need for a comprehensive plan and for economic benefits to be clearly measured and defined.  I'm much more skeptical than most at this point, but we'll see what happens when there is a more solid plan in place.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #297 on: September 30, 2014, 10:06:48 AM »
If a new arena is built I bet that the NBA will host the All Star game there and Milwaukee will put in a bid to get the Final Four or maybe even the Sweet 16 & Elite 8 rather than the first weekend of the tournament.

I know that's only 2 weekends, but that would be good for the city.

well the FF is a no-go unless held at Miller Park

🏀

• All American
« Reply #298 on: September 30, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
Final Fours will never be held in a NBA arena again. There is a 60,000 seat requirement.

Milwaukee also doesn't meet the 10,000 full-service hotel room requirement either.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #299 on: September 30, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »

The more I look into the new arena, the more I think it should be placed north of the Bradley Center and be the design focal point as you enter the north part of downtown.  There is open space and more flexibility than anywhere else right now and IMHO, it's still close enough to be part of the convention center, especially if you continue the skywalk system.  Hire Populous and let them make it something that jumpstarts the downtown.

Cost is the factor there...dirty little secret(pun intended) is the amount remediation that will be required to get that land up and viable for use for an arena is very significant.

The Cell has to go, the Milwaukee Theater, if it can be incorporated successfully with the new build would be fine but by no means should it stand in the way of a great new arena.

Frank Gimbel is probably the most responsible for the mess that is downtown Milwaukee and how hamstrung city planning is generally.....I want to know where he keeps the pictures on all these officials.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

feedback