'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A New Stadium For The 2017 Season?  (Read 113451 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: A New Stadium For The 2017 Season?
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »
Not necessarily 100% accurate. If I go to a Bucks game, it's not necessarily in lieu of going to the Marcus or the zoo. Basketball interests me so on a night when I might otherwise stay in, grab a netflix/redbox, and MAYBE spend $5 on a sub I'm instead spending $20 on a ticket (nosebleeds, still in college), $15 on parking, and $40 at the bars afterwards. Frankly, if I don't spend that money there it's going into my savings (probably the wiser choice anyway, but that's a different topic).

Yes and no.

People have an expendable/entertainment income threshold. In the short run, yes, you'd save some money without the Bucks. In the long run, you'd find another hobby to occupy your time. That's the way it works.

AND, if you did save a lot of $ by not going to Bucks games, maybe you'd buy a boat this summer, or a snowmobile, or whatever.

People aren't likely to become shut-ins. (with huge savings accounts).

HOWEVER, without the Bucks, it's hard to predict where some of those dollars will go (maybe they won't be spent in Milwaukee), and that's where the city will feel the loss.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:29:03 PM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #151 on: September 12, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »
East side is waaaay safer than downtown. I got jumped by 3 guys at 10:30 in the morning while walking down Wisconsin Ave. Anywhere you live in a city is going to have crime. BTW, I don't know how much experience you have with firearms, but I've heard people set off firecrackers and other fireworks fairly often over here (I live right by UWM). They have slightly different sounds. Not saying you're wrong, but it is uncommon for a shooting to happen on the east side.

Drunk college kids is a minor inconvenience. Don't involve yourself and you won't usually have a problem.

I have enough experience with firearms to be able to tell the difference (worked at a gun club/firing range for a few years in highschool and early college). I wouldn't bet a kidney, but I'm 99.9% sure it was a semi-automatic handgun with a small caliber round. That, coupled with the things that I heard the people involved saying through my window make me supremely confident that it was gunfire, but the lack of screaming suggests nobody was hit.

I guess maybe I've let myself get sidetracked but my point is this: There are very good reasons *not* to live downtown or the Eastside. Crime is one of those reasons.

Count me as skeptical that a stadium development with residential property associated with it will be a success.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #152 on: September 12, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »
Old fart here who just moved from The Quon to The City. Livin' the dream.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2014, 07:55:18 AM »
I have enough experience with firearms to be able to tell the difference (worked at a gun club/firing range for a few years in highschool and early college). I wouldn't bet a kidney, but I'm 99.9% sure it was a semi-automatic handgun with a small caliber round. That, coupled with the things that I heard the people involved saying through my window make me supremely confident that it was gunfire, but the lack of screaming suggests nobody was hit.

I guess maybe I've let myself get sidetracked but my point is this: There are very good reasons *not* to live downtown or the Eastside. Crime is one of those reasons.

Count me as skeptical that a stadium development with residential property associated with it will be a success.

Bumping this thread.  I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences so far, and I hope things get better for you.  As an Eastsider, I would disagree strongly that it is some kind of hell-hole, however.  Along with the downtown area, it's actually one of the safest parts of the city.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2014, 08:13:51 AM »
Well technically I haven't been the victim of any crime so far; I've just witnessed it. My sample size is admittedly rather small as well, so I could just be seeing a couple outliers.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2014, 08:15:51 AM »
Also, heard on the radio yesterday that the new plan is to "tear down the Boston Store, put the new stadium there, and attach it to the Grand Ave." Anyone else hearing this?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2014, 08:28:59 AM »
Also, heard on the radio yesterday that the new plan is to "tear down the Boston Store, put the new stadium there, and attach it to the Grand Ave." Anyone else hearing this?

I could be wrong, but I think Zilber put that out there on their own hoping to make it the main options (and thus benefiting from it). It's a cool idea with some major hurdles. I think other companies are pushing North of the BC. Everyone has there own agenda and it won't matter until the owners actually decide.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2014, 08:36:06 AM »
Here's a similar example for you from Hartford, CT unfolding right now.   The owner of AA New Britain Rock Cats (Twins affiliate) planned to move to Massachusetts somewhere, however very quietly along the way the city of Hartford secretly negotiated with him to build a downtown AA Baseball stadium in an area called Downtown North that Hartford has been trying to redevelop for 30 years.  (And to keep them in state.)  They announced a "$60mil stadium only" with hopes that redevelopment would follow.  Residents went bonkers with many of the arguments I've read in this thread so the city put the DoNo redevelopment out for bid for the entire area so that private money could enter into the development right from the beginning.
They got three interesting submissions with the one chosen one that includes:
* the new stadium
* movement of the Thomas Hooker Brewery downtown including a beer garden overlooking the field
* a Little League Field
* a downtown grocery store (two grocery stores committed however that shakes out as the city has been trying for 25years to bring just one downtown)
* 300 apartments next to the stadium

The argument being made now is without the stadium none of this other development will happen.  They're still working out the final details but it sounds like it's going to happen.

that's a real shame ... the Rock Cats (and MiLB baseball) has been very successful in New Britain for decades.  Stinks they'll lose the team despite consistently good attendance, community involvement and a solid facility.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2014, 08:58:28 AM »
that's a real shame ... the Rock Cats (and MiLB baseball) has been very successful in New Britain for decades.  Stinks they'll lose the team despite consistently good attendance, community involvement and a solid facility.

All true.

FWIW "the reasons" ownership wants to move is:
* They supposedly average the most MiLB rainouts per season due to the dugouts flooding.
* There is another smaller baseball field and a separate track stadium next to the current stadium and the Hardware City is spending money to "upgrade" both facilities, but will not be fixing the drainage issue at the RockCats park.
* Lastly, there is absolutely nothing near the stadium other than the highway exit and a car dealership and ownership wants to be in the midst of other amenities.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2014, 09:24:07 AM »

Here's the article in case you're interested (with conceptual sketches):
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/zilber-floats-idea-for-new-arena-on-w-wisconsin-ave-b99350191z1-275025161.html

It's certainly an interesting idea, but three of the four concepts would tear down the Boston Store Lofts building (owned by Wispark).  It would still be a small site for an arena, even if this were done.  I photoshopped the Bobcats' arena onto an aerial of the site, to get a better idea, and will try to share when I get it online.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2014, 09:44:11 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/zilber-floats-idea-for-new-arena-on-w-wisconsin-ave-b99350191z1-275025161.html

It's certainly an interesting idea, but three of the four concepts would tear down the Boston Store Lofts building (owned by Wispark).  It would still be a small site for an arena, even if this were done.  I photoshopped the Bobcats' arena onto an aerial of the site, to get a better idea, and will try to share when I get it online.

Interesting concept.

Could create a cool entertainment district/option indoors and Grand Ave for pre and post game.

However, I'd really be interested in how they would backfill the old neighborhood. Nothing around the BC is irreplaceable, but taking it out of there would create a hole in the middle of the city. Need something down there to keep activity and $ up, otherwise they are just going to create a no mans land, which will create some problems.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »

It's certainly an interesting idea, but three of the four concepts would tear down the Boston Store Lofts building (owned by Wispark).  It would still be a small site for an arena, even if this were done.  I photoshopped the Bobcats' arena onto an aerial of the site, to get a better idea, and will try to share when I get it online.
This would be a big plus for MU. Very close to being on campus.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:08:24 AM by Texas Western Ellenson »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2014, 10:34:33 AM »
That would be extremely interesting because the Bon-Ton HQ is in that building. That comprises Boston Store, Bergner's, Carson's, Herberger's and Younkers. I thought they owned that building, too.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #163 on: September 16, 2014, 10:47:34 AM »
That would be extremely interesting because the Bon-Ton HQ is in that building. That comprises Boston Store, Bergner's, Carson's, Herberger's and Younkers. I thought they owned that building, too.

Yeah and the city just begged/bribed BonTon to stay in that facility for a few more years too.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #164 on: September 16, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »

Current BC footprint in that location.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2014, 10:53:54 AM »
Interesting concept.

Could create a cool entertainment district/option indoors and Grand Ave for pre and post game.

However, I'd really be interested in how they would backfill the old neighborhood. Nothing around the BC is irreplaceable, but taking it out of there would create a hole in the middle of the city. Need something down there to keep activity and $ up, otherwise they are just going to create a no mans land, which will create some problems.

How about a park?

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »
Here's my mockup with Time Warner Cable Arena as an example.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2014, 10:58:41 AM »

I'd love to see a good stadium engineering firm like HNTB or AECOM take on this challenge.

As a Civil and stadium nerd, neither of those would be on my short list as a 'good stadium firm'.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2014, 11:01:43 AM »
How about a park?

Nobody uses parks.  ::)

Truthfully, it's right in the middle of the city, and it would be large empty property. I guess sky's the limit.

Soccer stadium? (MLS, MU and UWM could use it, right?)

Theme park?
Urban farm?
Driving range?
Go-kart track?

I honestly have no idea. I guess it would be a big opportunity to do something innovative, so I think it could be a good idea to move the basketball arena over to Wisco. ave if they have a big idea for the space that it vacates.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »
Nobody uses parks.  ::)

Truthfully, it's right in the middle of the city, and it would be large empty property. I guess sky's the limit.

Theme park?
Urban farm?
Driving range?
Go-kart track?

I honestly have no idea. I guess it would be a big opportunity to do something innovative, so I think it could be a good idea to move the basketball arena over to Wisco. ave if they have a big idea for the space that it vacates.

Ideally, you'd like to attach that 'new' open area with the Pabst recovery project as well.

I'm actually giddy about this Grand Avenue idea. Park, drink a lot, eat some food, go to the game, drink until my eye bleeds, get a room at the Courtyard, wake up, puke and then get in my car and go home. All without going outside in Winter? Sign me up.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »

I'm on board with moving for an MLS team... of course it will never happen. But a shared facility between MU and UWM wouldn't be a bad idea.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2014, 11:10:06 AM »
Ideally, you'd like to attach that 'new' open area with the Pabst recovery project as well.

I'm actually giddy about this Grand Avenue idea. Park, drink a lot, eat some food, go to the game, drink until my eye bleeds, get a room at the Courtyard, wake up, puke and then get in my car and go home. All without going outside in Winter? Sign me up.

LOL...someone should forward this to the city.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2014, 11:10:54 AM »
Perfect spot for the Crean endowed soccer stadium, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2014, 11:12:43 AM »

Right, it's actually a really cool idea.

I'd just be concerned for the old neighborhood.

IF they can figure out how to make the big picture work, then I could get on board.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »

Theme park?
Urban farm?
Driving range?
Go-kart track?

Condos.
Office buildings.
Expansion of MATC and/or MSOE.
Target.
Have some patience, FFS.