Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Haanif Cheatham picks Marquette  (Read 33768 times)

murphmurphy

• Walk-On
Re: Haanif Cheatham picks Marquette
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »
There must be some sort of mistake here.  These top 100 players can't really be coming to Marquette.  Buzz said he left because the New Big East TV package was garbage and it was not possible to recruit top players to the New Big East.  Could it be that Buzz if full of something that smells bad?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
There must be some sort of mistake here.  These top 100 players can't really be coming to Marquette.  Buzz said he left because the New Big East TV package was garbage and it was not possible to recruit top players to the New Big East.  Could it be that Buzz if full of something that smells bad?

Haha well done.

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
Unexpected this is (welcome it is)    :o

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 03:32:13 PM »
Welcome to Marquette University, one of the greatest basketball schools in the country!

Fixed.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Cheatham picks Marquette
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 03:32:41 PM »
Well put, but it could be the highest RANKED class we have ever got.

If you include transfers, Kevin O'Neill's 6 recruit first class (1990) would probably win out, although Ellenson would be the highest ranked player in either class, and highest ranked recruit since Doc Rivers (1980) or Bernard Toone (1975).
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »
His name sounds like it came out of the Hunger Games Trilogy. Perhaps we should change our mascot from the Golden Eagles to the Mockingjays!

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 03:46:06 PM »
His name sounds like it came out of the Hunger Games Trilogy. Perhaps we should change our mascot from the Golden Eagles to the Mockingjays!
Golden Eagles to Warriors!

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 03:54:29 PM »
Golden Eagles to Warriors!

Maybe Golden Warriors !!
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 05:20:26 PM »
Alright, alright, alright!

Four-star shooting guard Haanif Cheatham committed to Marquette over Baylor, California, Florida State, Georgetown and Georgia during an announcement at Pembroke Pines Charter high school Friday afternoon.

The 6-foot-5, 180-pound prospect took three official visits -- Alabama, California and Marquette -- plus an unofficial visit to Georgetown before making his decision. In the end, it was the relationship he built with Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski that won things over for the Golden Eagles.

"Coach Wojo keeps in contact with me," Cheatham told Rivals.com in June. "I can tell he's being a real honest person and not candy coating a lot of things. He seems like a very nice guy. He has a lot of basketball experience, he's knows what he's talking about and that's what makes him stand out."

Accompanied by his mother, Cheatham visited Marquette Aug. 29-31. According to Pembroke Pines Charter head coach Dave Roca, the visit was very valuable for Cheatham's decision-making process.

"Hanni was able to get a better understanding of the academic offerings MU has to offer," said Roca via text message. "That said, he was also able to meet with Wojo and get better insight regarding the program's positioning today and future. [It] was very productive."

Cheatham is the No. 68 ranked overall prospect in the Rivals Top150 for the class of 2014.

Little preview:

Haanif Cheatham and Cheick Diallo made a nice duo for their team on Friday. A 6-foot-5 wing, Cheatham does a little bit of everything. He handles, he passes, he defends and he makes just enough shots from deep to keep defenders honest. He is a utility wing who makes smart decisions and will help win a lot of ballgames in college.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2014, 07:42:58 PM »
If you include transfers, Kevin O'Neill's 6 recruit first class (1990) would probably win out, although Ellenson would be the highest ranked player in either class, and highest ranked recruit since Doc Rivers (1980) or Bernard Toone (1975).

Easy to overlook Levin and Wally E. as really part of next year's recruiting class too, even though their additions won't be considered in the class of 2015 rankings when all is said and done next spring.   Levin's already played very well as just a freshman, Wally's got the size and athleticism that can't be taught, he just didn't get the opportunity for minutes at Minnesota (although we'll find out if there's a reason why he didn't).   But these two can be the icing on the cake for the 2015 class. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:15:33 PM by HutchwasClutch »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »
The high level of this recruiting class, especially if Henry finishes it off, I think goes a long way to debunking the notion that the Big East is quickly sinking to the ranks of mid- major status.  We'll have to see what the others do too, but if just three or four of schools like Georgetown, 'Nova, St. John's, Butler, maybe Creighton hopefully can pull in natinally ranked hauls as well (just not as good as ours hopefully)  ;), that will be huge for a conference trying to establish a brand and indentity nationally.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:13:33 PM by HutchwasClutch »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2014, 08:43:45 PM »
The high level of this recruiting class, especially if Henry finishes it off, I think goes a long way to debunking the notion that the Big East is quickly sinking to the ranks of mid- major status.  We'll have to see what the others do too, but if just three or four of schools like Georgetown, 'Nova, St. John's, Butler, maybe Creighton hopefully can pull in natinally ranked hauls as well (just not as good as ours hopefully)  ;), that will be huge for a conference trying to establish a brand and indentity nationally.

The Hall hasn't done too badly either.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2014, 08:44:58 PM »
i was thinking the same thing, we need other schools beside GT Nova to be getting recruits, other than GT MU Nova Xavier no ones got naything happening.Maybe Seton hall can have an amazing turnaround by grabbing whitehead.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2014, 08:49:08 PM »
Shooting guard Haanif Cheatham just verbally committed to Marquette. He’s wearing the blue and gold hat now at Pembroke Pines Charter HS. If we get Henry Ellenson, I would argue that this class will be MU’s greatest recruiting class. Ever.
Ellenson (5 ESPN; 6 Scout; 9 CBS Sports)
Noskowiak (49 ESPN; 89 Scout; 68 CBS Sports)
Cheatham (78 ESPN; 80 Scout; 61 CBS Sports)
Heldt (Unranked on ESPN, but #17 center and #15 center is 89 overall; 56 Scout; 94 CBS Sports)

Thank-you Haanif for helping my attention divert from the arse whooping the Pack took last night and the Brewers nine game skid!  This class will just be so stellar if we get Henry, and I think we're getting him, I'm putting it 85/15 he's a Warrior come November signing period.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »
i was thinking the same thing, we need other schools beside GT Nova to be getting recruits, other than GT MU Nova Xavier no ones got naything happening.Maybe Seton hall can have an amazing turnaround by grabbing whitehead.

Seton Hall has an excellent class coming in and it's not at all just Whitehead. Delgado and Nzei would = no rebounds for the opponent.

Providence has Alex Owens (another rebounding stud) and Ryan Fazekas in 2015.. and PC and Lindsey this year. Really good recruiting.

Plus I often hear DePaul is a sleeping giant.

I think St. John's will come through as well.

Plenty of talent coming into the Big East.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »
I would argue that we should wait to see how this class does before we - as Denny Green would say - crown their ass.

For example, I have no idea what the 2000 class of Dwyane Wade and Scott Merritt (and Terry Sanders) was ranked, but the mere presence of Wade ended up making it superior. I mean, is this current class going to have a future Hall of Famer and a guy who averaged 10 ppg for a Final Four team? We'll see.

I'm guessing the same could be said about several of Al's recruiting classes, given that he sent numerous players to the NBA.

Make no mistake, I already am absolutely thrilled with Wojo's first recruiting class and will be even happier if Ellenson is a Warrior. But I would argue that there is a big difference between rankings on paper and production.

Let's let the kids play a few minutes - let alone a few seasons - before we anoint them, no?

Obviously Al's classes were great, but based on the "future nba" player criteria, over the past few years we've had more former mu players in the nba at once that Al ever did
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2014, 09:19:31 PM »
Seton Hall has an excellent class coming in and it's not at all just Whitehead. Delgado and Nzei would = no rebounds for the opponent.

Providence has Alex Owens (another rebounding stud) and Ryan Fazekas in 2015.. and PC and Lindsey this year. Really good recruiting.

Plus I often hear DePaul is a sleeping giant.

I think St. John's will come through as well.

Plenty of talent coming into the Big East.
yes, but can they all stay consistent(SH,PROV,STJ) and continue to bring in good talent.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »
Obviously Al's classes were great, but based on the "future nba" player criteria, over the past few years we've had more former mu players in the nba at once that Al ever did

OK, I'll accept this challenge.

From the McGuire Era:

Brunkhorst, Thomas, Allie, Lackey, Thompson, Meminger, McNeill, Toone, Tatum, Lee, Ellis, Walton, Chones, Lucas, Whitehead.

That's 15 of Al's recruits who went on to play in either the NBA, ABA or both.

I'm not sure how you define "over the past few years," but I'll give you a nice long stretch and say all players recruited by either Crean or Buzz (who were at Marquette a combined 15 years, compared to 13 for Al):

Diener, Hayward, Wade, Novak, Matthews, DJO, Crowder, Buycks, Butler, Blue.

That's 10.

Even if you reach back to every Warrior who played at least one NBA game in this millennium - which would bring Tony Smith, McIlvaine, McCaskill and Crawford into the mix - that's 14.

Source was Sports Reference.com - http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/colleges.cgi?college=marquette

I know this list doesn't include McNeal; I guess they only count guys who actually played in an NBA game, not just on a roster. Maybe there was a guy or two like that in Al's era, too?

My larger point was (and is) that we can't know yet how good this class is until ... well ... the players actually do something! The Wade-Merritt class accomplished something, as did lots of Al's classes.

I'm excited about this class' potential and thrilled with Wojo's recruiting efforts. As with all things potential-related, however, the operative two-word statement is: WE'LL SEE.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2014, 10:29:25 PM »
Awesome get, makes me feel more confident that Henry is also on his way. I don't think you could script a better start for Wojo.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 11:09:29 PM »
That's correct. Too bad there were plenty of people that never could spell Davante's name correctly after four years.

Or Dwayne's.

Quote from: bamamarquettefan

And that includes the Al years when the ABA was still around.
SS Marquette

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2014, 12:40:44 AM »
Or Dwayne's.

And that includes the Al years when the ABA was still around.
Including reporters because that is how and why I misspelled it a couple times. Especially Wade's. Some spelled it Dwyane instead of Dwayne.

They are to blame when they have typo's that go uncorrected for long periods of time and many times players themselves change the spelling or pronunication of their name as well.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2014, 01:48:44 AM »
Haanif, welcome to Marquette! You will make a mighty Warrior.

In unrelated recruiting news, Malik Beasley committed to Florida St. He had Brent Tech as one of his finalists.

Makes Haanif's commitment that much sweeter.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2014, 05:52:47 AM »

Not certain that's accurate.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2014, 07:07:34 AM »

Not certain that's accurate.

IT ISN'T! Please see my post just 5 above yours.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2014, 07:13:32 AM »
Question: In the Al era, there were many guys who made the league but did MU ever have three players competing at as high a level as Wade, Wes and JFB?

feedback