collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: BBC Report on Iraq  (Read 10372 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
BBC Report on Iraq
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:25:23 PM »
I believe it was Merritt's Moustache who accused me of embellishing the truth of what is happening in the Middle East. If what happened to Mr. Foley did not alter his perspective then perhaps this report from the BBC might give him pause to reconsider.

When one lives a comfortable middle class suburban American existence it is difficult to comprehend the horrors of life elsewhere. Americans become enraged about traffic issues; imagine if your entire family was butchered before your eyes in Diyala or al Anbar? Outrage is relative.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29013275

Death on call

brandx

Re: BBC Report on Iraq
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:08:30 AM »
We opened Pandora's box and the contents are still spilling out.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:28:00 AM »
Pandora's box had been open: U.S.S.  Cole, Bombing in Kenya...

brandx

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 12:34:15 AM »
Pandora's box had been open: U.S.S.  Cole, Bombing in Kenya...

Don't know what that even means. Those were done by al-Queda. The article was about Iraq.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 01:06:16 PM »
Think globally or at least Middle East. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 01:09:17 PM »
Think globally or at least Middle East. 

No see that's the problem.  Iraq and AQ aren't the same thing.  Stop linking the two.  That's what got us bogged down over there in the first place.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »

No see that's the problem.  Iraq and AQ aren't the same thing.  Stop linking the two.  That's what got us bogged down over there in the first place.

Exactamundo. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 01:43:02 PM »
We opened Pandora's box and the contents are still spilling out.

For about a decade in the 90s, we gave peace a chance... and now we're missing two buildings in Manhattan.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brandx

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 03:08:02 PM »

That was my point. Obviously, he doesn't understand the dynamics and religious divides in the Middle East. It much easier to link all muslims as being the one and the same.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 03:15:30 PM »
For about a decade in the 90s, we gave peace a chance... and now we're missing two buildings in Manhattan.

Oh man is his a bunch of revisionist history.

Remember that AQ started to become more anti-American due to our large troop presence in Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War and our enforcement of the no-fly zones over Iraq.

And then don't get me started on our unquestioned support of Israel for no strategic reason whatsoever.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 03:27:59 PM »

Exactly! Let's drop some nukes ... take out the whole effen Middle East!!

OK, so we'd be taking out Israel, too; chalk it up as a cost of our own survival.

And the nuclear fallout will hit Europe, but that's all right because the towelheads are taking over that continent, too.

And why stop there?

Hey, Putin: Incoming!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 07:14:47 PM »
We're seeing what putting our heads in the sand accomplishes now. As for Israel having no strategic purpose, that is revisionist thinking

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »
what would Jesus do??
don't...don't don't don't don't

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 09:47:38 PM »
Exactamundo. 

There was AQ in Iraq, whether it was the levels that were talked about leading up to it, who knows.

We can argue all we want about getting into that part of the world, but pulling out the last few years was predicted to be horrific....and it has come true.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »
There was AQ in Iraq, whether it was the levels that were talked about leading up to it, who knows.

We can argue all we want about getting into that part of the world, but pulling out the last few years was predicted to be horrific....and it has come true.

What has transpired in Iraq is precisely due to the lack of a coherent exit strategy. The American military is a maneuver force and not a police agency. What is happening there today is on the politicians from both sides of the aisle.

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 11:31:58 PM »
Bad exit, worse entrance (politically, not militarily).  Plenty of blame to go around.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 11:40:10 PM »
Bad exit, worse entrance (politically, not militarily).  Plenty of blame to go around.

I cannot not argue the matter of entrance. I will say that behind closed doors many serving officers questioned both the why and the what of OIF.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 11:41:21 PM »
What has transpired in Iraq is precisely due to the lack of a coherent exit strategy. The American military is a maneuver force and not a police agency. What is happening there today is on the politicians from both sides of the aisle.

I don't disagree with you, but what is happening today was predicted very clearly and very easily a few years ago.  The fact that anyone is surprised by what is transpiring today would have to have their heads examined.  A massive power vacuum created, who did they think was going to step in.

And I don't think Leon Panetta, Obama's Defense Secretary, could have said it any better:   “The reason you guys are here is because on 9/11 the United States got attacked. And 3,000 Americans — 3,000 not just Americans, 3,000 human beings, innocent human beings — got killed because of al-Qaeda. And we’ve been fighting as a result of that.”

brandx

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 11:46:04 PM »
Equating Iraq & Al queda. Cheney would be proud.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 11:49:30 PM »
We entered Iraq d/t 9/11 and AQ? I thought it was Saddam and his WMDs?

Once we were there the exit and results were absolutely predictable and a terrible situation.

The politics of the entire situation, from beginning to end, are a joke. Unfortunate for those innocents caught in the crossfire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 11:50:23 PM »

I would have preferred if the previous guy had pulled the trigger, but he admitted that he couldn't stomach it.  What might have been.  History can be crazy.  20/20 vision to the past, of course, but one wonders what might have been. 

http://time.com/3070889/bill-clinton-bin-laden/

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 12:08:32 AM »
I would have preferred if the previous guy had pulled the trigger, but he admitted that he couldn't stomach it.  What might have been.  History can be crazy.  20/20 vision to the past, of course, but one wonders what might have been. 

http://time.com/3070889/bill-clinton-bin-laden/

Careful there.  It is more likely that pulling that trigger would have bred a dozen more Bin Laden's and not stopped a thing in regards to 9/11.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 12:11:19 AM »
Careful there.  It is more likely that pulling that trigger would have bred a dozen more Bin Laden's and not stopped a thing in regards to 9/11.

One will never know, but if that is the case, you can make the argument about any organization...why bother going after ISIS\ISIL leadership.   I don't buy into that argument, cut off the snake's head.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 12:14:05 AM »
We entered Iraq d/t 9/11 and AQ? I thought it was Saddam and his WMDs?

Once we were there the exit and results were absolutely predictable and a terrible situation.

The politics of the entire situation, from beginning to end, are a joke. Unfortunate for those innocents caught in the crossfire

You'd have to tell me about those results.  Once the surge was completed....the one predicted by the left that wouldn't work I might add....things were in much better shape.  Perfect?  Hell no, but much better shape.

Of course, I've heard the last 12 months we only have to deal with the JV now.....oops.  Can't wait to see what's streaming across our borders right now...one can only hope we aren't hit again.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 12:43:04 AM »
You'd have to tell me about those results.  Once the surge was completed....the one predicted by the left that wouldn't work I might add....things were in much better shape.  Perfect?  Hell no, but much better shape.

Of course, I've heard the last 12 months we only have to deal with the JV now.....oops.  Can't wait to see what's streaming across our borders right now...one can only hope we aren't hit again.

I was referring to what you already talked about. The current situation and the massive power vacuum that was left behind once we left.