[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cloud storage exposed?  (Read 17288 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Cloud storage exposed?
« on: September 01, 2014, 07:08:11 PM »
With all the hacked/leaked celebrity photos in the last 24 hours (thank you Justin Verlander), what's the prevailing mentality going to be on cloud storage? These were mere photos, not important documents or other files. Apparently, they were relatively easy to obtain. I'm guessing Apple also has some 'splaining to do.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Cloud storage exposed?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 07:18:20 PM »
I sure hope all the naked pictures I took of myself as selfies don't get out there.

Not much to see, of course.... :D    I feel bad for the hacks as it is a matter of security, but what the hell is with everyone taking pictures of themselves in the nude?  What a f'd up society we live in.  Are they taking them for posterity sake so they can check themselves out in 20 years?

The one of Jason Verlander that a buddy of mine sent to me today....truly, I don't need to see it and warn me before I open that crap up.  LOL.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »
Not for sure we'd have such an entertainin', investigative Labor Day if not for JL, KU, and the Cloud. Spent all day on the Internet tryin' to get to the bottom of all this.
BeeJay, what you say on AAPL tomorrow, Bro?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:35:57 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 08:46:27 PM »
With all the hacked/leaked celebrity photos in the last 24 hours (thank you Justin Verlander), what's the prevailing mentality going to be on cloud storage? These were mere photos, not important documents or other files. Apparently, they were relatively easy to obtain. I'm guessing Apple also has some 'splaining to do.

I would take storage security for what it's worth. The raison d'etre of back-end cloud services is about computing power and data aggregation. People storing files there is not what the Cloud is all about.

Death on call

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:53:11 PM »
I would take storage security for what it's worth. The raison d'etre of back-end cloud services is about computing power and data aggregation. People storing files there is not what the Cloud is all about.

Keefe, actually it is what many view the future as being.  Where the Cloud will be the storage location.  I myself despise that idea.

The problem with data security, is that it is inherently limited in its security.  Since by nature it is software driven, there are always holes/exploits.  Because of that these cloud storage ideas cannot be secure.  Given that it aggregates large quantities of information, it then becomes a huge target.  As more people/institutions shift to cloud storage we can expect this to continue…similarly, as we consolidate many businesses leading to a few corporations having most of the info/data we will see increasing vulnerability.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 10:14:26 PM »
Not for sure we'd have such an entertainin', investigative Labor Day if not for JL, KU, and the Cloud. Spent all day on the Internet tryin' to get to the bottom of all this.
BeeJay, what you say on AAPL tomorrow, Bro?

Tomorrow? Dunno, may present a buying opportunity for those wanting to get in before the upcoming product/services announcement. Sitting near their high.

For me, not a big story as of yet. If some nerdbaits "guessed" the passwords of celebs, well tough. It's a good lesson (another one) for people re: password complexity.

I only use one password, but at least it's complex: $cHe1n.2Geth3r
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 11:20:24 PM »
Keefe, actually it is what many view the future as being.  Where the Cloud will be the storage location.  I myself despise that idea.

The problem with data security, is that it is inherently limited in its security.  Since by nature it is software driven, there are always holes/exploits.  Because of that these cloud storage ideas cannot be secure.  Given that it aggregates large quantities of information, it then becomes a huge target.  As more people/institutions shift to cloud storage we can expect this to continue…similarly, as we consolidate many businesses leading to a few corporations having most of the info/data we will see increasing vulnerability.

JB

I am the COO of a Microsoft-funded enterprise developing platforms for the Azure stack. We are deploying our first Health Care pilot with a major cancer research center, two regional health care facilities and underserved clinics in the PNW. 

Obviously, patient privacy and security are central to the delivery and we have a significantly improved security protocols based on emergent stream architectures that are parameter-defined. This is an innovative way to provide significantly heightened security around huge amounts of data.

I understand what you are saying about ongoing security issues but the Cloud is far more secure than storing on an individual box.  And the point of the Cloud isn't storage but, rather, computing power. As we aggregate EMRs we can have 50,000 servers slewed to a query in seconds with the end result being the harmonization of records and the democratization of patient care.

Big Data has been a reality for decades but only now is the infrastructure enabling its incredible potential. 

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:21:59 AM »
JB

I am the COO of a Microsoft-funded enterprise developing platforms for the Azure stack. We are deploying our first Health Care pilot with a major cancer research center, two regional health care facilities and underserved clinics in the PNW. 

Obviously, patient privacy and security are central to the delivery and we have a significantly improved security protocols based on emergent stream architectures that are parameter-defined. This is an innovative way to provide significantly heightened security around huge amounts of data.

I understand what you are saying about ongoing security issues but the Cloud is far more secure than storing on an individual box.  And the point of the Cloud isn't storage but, rather, computing power. As we aggregate EMRs we can have 50,000 servers slewed to a query in seconds with the end result being the harmonization of records and the democratization of patient care.

Big Data has been a reality for decades but only now is the infrastructure enabling its incredible potential. 

Let's just hope that patient's health records are secure, which scares a lot of people.  Ultimately, is it secure from someone that has legit access and wants to put it out there anyway?  A political candidate, for example.  A celebrity, etc. 

Back to the iCloud stuff.  I guess people are naive.  If you are storing photos, music, etc on the iCloud from your iPhone, I've always looked at it as a temporary holding queue more than anything.  Yes, it's storage, but if it is something really important, that's not where it's going.  Then again, I don't understand the fascination of taking selfies in a bathroom mirror like all these goofballs, so I don't fit the profile.  I think it sucks someone stole their stuff, but if someone doesn't want naked photos of themselves floating around, don't take naked photos.  Or keep them in a safe \ safety deposit box.  It is things like this that sometimes make me wonder how much of this stuff is there to drive PR, much like so many having a sex tape and so many of them magically being stolen.  Cynical, I know.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 05:03:09 AM »
news flash-kim kardashian and miley cyrus may be a couple of the "celebrities" who had nude pics of themselves stolen and put out there for all to see?  well stop the bus beevis, now this has really gone too far...are you kidding me?  i haven't really seen the whole list of those involved, but most of these people have been seen nude or very near nude already.  yes, there are some who really didn't ask for this when they signed up to become public figures.  then, as most would say, either keep your damn clothes on or don't be storing the crap anywhere but in a lock box :o this isn't that difficult
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 08:29:26 AM »
Easy enough to figure out now why Justin Verlander is havin' such a chitty season. Poor guy doesn't have the energy to pitch.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »
I sure hope all the naked pictures I took of myself as selfies don't get out there.

Not much to see, of course.... :D    I feel bad for the hacks as it is a matter of security, but what the hell is with everyone taking pictures of themselves in the nude?  What a f'd up society we live in.  Are they taking them for posterity sake so they can check themselves out in 20 years?

You know, I've never heard anyone respond to financial hacking by saying, Just don't use online banking. That's what you get for using credit cards.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:00:15 PM »
Think healthcare records secure? - see the latest healthcare breach:   http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/18/technology/security/hospital-chs-hack/

Been in healthcare IT industry for years - security in healthcare lagging -  http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/20/us-cybersecurity-healthcare-fbi-idUSKBN0GK24U20140820

But now that Keefe is in healthcare, I am sure we will learn all about it...

Let's just hope that patient's health records are secure, which scares a lot of people.  Ultimately, is it secure from someone that has legit access and wants to put it out there anyway?  A political candidate, for example.  A celebrity, etc. 

Back to the iCloud stuff.  I guess people are naive.  If you are storing photos, music, etc on the iCloud from your iPhone, I've always looked at it as a temporary holding queue more than anything.  Yes, it's storage, but if it is something really important, that's not where it's going.  Then again, I don't understand the fascination of taking selfies in a bathroom mirror like all these goofballs, so I don't fit the profile.  I think it sucks someone stole their stuff, but if someone doesn't want naked photos of themselves floating around, don't take naked photos.  Or keep them in a safe \ safety deposit box.  It is things like this that sometimes make me wonder how much of this stuff is there to drive PR, much like so many having a sex tape and so many of them magically being stolen.  Cynical, I know.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »
This just may bring back the Polaroid camera....
Have some patience, FFS.

brandx

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
You know, I've never heard anyone respond to financial hacking by saying, Just don't use online banking. That's what you get for using credit cards.

Credit cards are protected from hacking - it's debit cards that are not.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »

That kind of breach can be limited - probably never prevented - by healthcare providers that have strict policies for breaches.  I am aware of quite a few that are moving to immediate termination for any breaches that can't be properly explained as an innocent mistake.  And the education is being beefed up to make "innocent mistakes" harder to come by.

But if someone wants to make a quick buck by selling a high-profile patient's records to People, even knowing it puts their job at risk, that's hard to prevent altogether.

brandx

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
That kind of breach can be limited - probably never prevented - by healthcare providers that have strict policies for breaches.  I am aware of quite a few that are moving to immediate termination for any breaches that can't be properly explained as an innocent mistake.  And the education is being beefed up to make "innocent mistakes" harder to come by.

But if someone wants to make a quick buck by selling a high-profile patient's records to People, even knowing it puts their job at risk, that's hard to prevent altogether.

Always after the fact, though.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 08:00:06 PM »

Understood, but I don't equate those at all.  For my online banking, I have a pin, a password, and a keysite I have to recognize....three level security and it's encrypted.  The bank is also under government regulatory requirements around that data as it is an essential part of the banking system and every day commerce.

Why are people taking nude selfies of themselves?  That's question one.  Question two, if you are that concerned about them, why wouldn't you put them somewhere that requires multiple levels of security AND they are encrypted.   At the end of the day, seems to me that 99% of us have to bank to function in this world, whether we choose to do it online is another matter.  I don't see where we all need to take nude photos of ourselves for reasons to function.  It seems to be a pure vanity play, but that's what a lot of these folks are.  I feel bad for them, but on the other hand if you don't want naked photos of yourself getting around, then don't take naked photos of yourself.  If your money is stolen from the bank, insurance covers it....you don't get your naked photos back.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »
Think healthcare records secure? - see the latest healthcare breach:   http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/18/technology/security/hospital-chs-hack/

Been in healthcare IT industry for years - security in healthcare lagging -  http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/20/us-cybersecurity-healthcare-fbi-idUSKBN0GK24U20140820

But now that Keefe is in healthcare, I am sure we will learn all about it...

I don't think they are secure, and I'm mostly worried about people playing politics with the data, which invariably will happen.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
Understood, but I don't equate those at all.  For my online banking, I have a pin, a password, and a keysite I have to recognize....three level security and it's encrypted.  The bank is also under government regulatory requirements around that data as it is an essential part of the banking system and every day commerce.

Why are people taking nude selfies of themselves?  That's question one.  Question two, if you are that concerned about them, why wouldn't you put them somewhere that requires multiple levels of security AND they are encrypted.   At the end of the day, seems to me that 99% of us have to bank to function in this world, whether we choose to do it online is another matter.  I don't see where we all need to take nude photos of ourselves for reasons to function.  It seems to be a pure vanity play, but that's what a lot of these folks are.  I feel bad for them, but on the other hand if you don't want naked photos of yourself getting around, then don't take naked photos of yourself.  If your money is stolen from the bank, insurance covers it....you don't get your naked photos back.

Well yeah I don't equate them 100%, I just don't think the moral hand-wringing has any place in this at all. It's a complete invasion of privacy and goes to an even deeper, grosser level than just stealing someone's bank info. It's not as simple as just guessing passwords, this is a pretty sick level.

It doesn't matter if YOU see no reason to take nudes. No one needs to do A LOT of things to function. But we still have fun doing them. And, no offense, no one wants yours (or mine). This problem just always targets and shames women, instead of the f'ing creepers who thinks it is okay to do this. We should be judging the people who stole this and the people who went to look for them.

What if people started hacking others' search and browsing history?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 09:20:40 PM »
Some people like to take them to send to their significant other. It's a form of eroticism, which goes way, WAY back in history be it letters, paintings, poems, pictures, whatever.

Sure, some of these people might feel violated, but everyone has to know it's a possiblity that they'll come out someday. Especially when you're a high-profile celebrity. Do I think most of these people care? Probably not - it'll be a fleeting headline for a few weeks. And for some of the lesser known people, they might enjoy their time in the spotlight. Honestly, no press is bad press, right?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 09:21:06 PM »
Well yeah I don't equate them 100%, I just don't think the moral hand-wringing has any place in this at all. It's a complete invasion of privacy and goes to an even deeper, grosser level than just stealing someone's bank info. It's not as simple as just guessing passwords, this is a pretty sick level.

It doesn't matter if YOU see no reason to take nudes. No one needs to do A LOT of things to function. But we still have fun doing them. And, no offense, no one wants yours (or mine). This problem just always targets and shames women, instead of the f'ing creepers who thinks it is okay to do this. We should be judging the people who stole this and the people who went to look for them.

Who says they don't (or couldn't)?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »

Not a morality play at all.  I'm curious why people take naked photos of themselves....are they that vane?  I'm trying to understand the point of doing it.    Secondly, if it is something that makes someone that upset, then don't do it or be far smarter where you put them.

I guess one day people wake up or they get out of the shower or they're taking a piss and they have their camera there..."hey, it would be a great idea to take a few photos of me naked right now so I can look at myself".   

Whatever floats their boat, but since some of these celebs have done this stuff in the past and purposely leaked it to get pub, I'm not exactly heartbroken over their situation.   If you would have told me someone took pictures of someone not knowing they were being taken (Erin Andrews) and put them out there, then I have a hell of a lot more sympathy for their plight.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »
Some people like to take them to send to their significant other. It's a form of eroticism, which goes way, WAY back in history be it letters, paintings, poems, pictures, whatever.

Sure, some of these people might feel violated, but everyone has to know it's a possiblity that they'll come out someday. Especially when you're a high-profile celebrity. Do I think most of these people care? Probably not - it'll be a fleeting headline for a few weeks. And for some of the lesser known people, they might enjoy their time in the spotlight. Honestly, no press is bad press, right?

I suppose, just seems really stupid.  In today's day and age, you take a photo of yourself or someone else in that type of situation, bad things seem to follow.  Digital destruction.  Appreciate the response. 

My wife and I have had this conversation with our kids many times.  You take photos like this, guaranteed someone is saving it for later, or sending it to a buddy, or whatever.  It will come back on you, guaranteed.  Don't take the photo.  Period.

brandx

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »

Already been done.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 10:26:51 PM »
I suppose, just seems really stupid.  In today's day and age, you take a photo of yourself or someone else in that type of situation, bad things seem to follow.  Digital destruction.  Appreciate the response. 

My wife and I have had this conversation with our kids many times.  You take photos like this, guaranteed someone is saving it for later, or sending it to a buddy, or whatever.  It will come back on you, guaranteed.  Don't take the photo.  Period.

I don't disagree. I'm just giving you the "why" that you asked for.

Good advice for anyone, not just kids.

feedback