collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by Viper
[Today at 07:44:25 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 07:39:53 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 07:13:08 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 07:13:05 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 college football thread  (Read 36343 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2014-15 college football thread
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 01:45:55 AM »
Absolutely scathing commentary by Bacon. And for the record - the author has impeccable Wolverine credentials so the poignancy of his pathos will not be lost on the Michigan faithful. Hiring Brandon was an intriguing decision that raised eyebrows but was cautiously applauded for its audacity. His tenure has proven that there is a profound difference between peddling a commodity and stewarding a patrician pedigree. He doesn't seem to fathom that one cannot inveigle without lessening the intrinsic value.

If Jim Harbaugh becomes your coach, do you have a plan?  What are you going to do Colonel?  What are you going to do?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2014, 02:12:32 AM »
If Jim Harbaugh becomes your coach, do you have a plan?  What are you going to do Colonel?  What are you going to do?

I know it's vogue to project Jim Harbaugh to Michigan in 2015 but I don't see him leaving the NFL or Michigan offering. It would be somewhat more likely that John would get an offer and that he would accept. While hiring Jim would be problematic having John take over would be welcomed, I should think.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2014, 07:54:22 AM »
I have to mention this story in the Scoop college football thread - the 100th anniversary of the Yale Bowl was celebrated over the weekend with Yale hosting Army and incredibly pulling the upset.  (Army missed a field goal at the end of regulation and another one in OT.)  Yale spent 10 years working to get Army their longtime rival, whom they haven't played in 30 years, to come in and play to mark the occasion.
Army paratroopers dropped out of a helicopter into the stadium before the game.

* When it was built in 1914, it was the largest athletic facility built since the Coliseum in Rome.  
* It was also the first football venue built with seating completely surrounding the field.
* The University of Michigan copied the Yale Bowl exactly, when they made "The Big House".  They later added a second deck.
* It was the first facility built to be named Bowl, which of course has been borrowed by all of college football for post-season games as well as the NFL.

For the first time in 20+ years, I actually went to a college football game and managed to squeak in some tailgating to boot.
And the cadets were great.  Completely into the game the entire time.  Beforehand, they gathered and marched into the game in formation through the Walter Camp gate.

Yale stuns Army 49-43 in overtime at Yale Bowl
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20140927/yale-stuns-army-49-43-in-overtime-at-yale-bowl

Yale Bowl, Class of 1954 Field  
http://www.yalebulldogs.com/information/facilities/yale_bowl/index

The historic Yale Bowl, with its Class of 1954 Field, is one of the true treasures in American sports and celebrates its 100th birthday in 2014. It was the largest athletic stadium in the world and the first football venue with seating completely surrounding the field when it opened on Nov. 21, 1914, for a game against Harvard.

The famous Bowl has been a college football landmark ever since, while also hosting National Football League Games, international soccer, lacrosse, tennis, concerts, TV advertisements, movies and the 1995 Special Olympic World Games.

The Bowl is 930 feet long and 750 feet wide and covers 12.5 acres. Its current seating capacity is 61,446 (it was 70,869 before alterations in 1994 and 2006), and every seat has an unobstructed view of the playing field. The original seating capacity was 60,617 with an undetermined amount of standing room and space to include temporary bleachers.

There have been crowds of over 70,000 on 20 occasions, the most recent on Nov. 19, 1983, for the 100th playing of The Game. The largest crowd to attend a Yale game at the Bowl was 80,000 for Army on Nov. 3, 1923. The 75,300 at the 1981 Yale-Harvard contest was the largest at a sporting event in New England in more than 50 years.

The NFL's New York Giants and Detroit Lions brought professional football to the Bowl for the first time in the summer of 1960. The Giants, who played the New York Jets in a number of memorable exhibition contests during the 70's, used the Bowl as their home field in 1973 and 1974 while Yankee Stadium was renovated.

The design for the Yale Bowl was proposed by Charles A. Ferry, Class of 1871, as a replacement for Yale Field, the 33,000-seat home of the football team from 1884 to 1914. The cost of the final product was $750,000.

Two additions to the legendary Bowl were dedicated during the 2009 season. The Kenney Center, named after four members of the Kenney family - former Yale football players Jerry P. ’63, Brian R. '60, Robert D. '67, Richard L. '71 and Jeffrey S. '93 - is a three-story building attached to the Bowl that houses team rooms and a reception area that opens up to the inside of the Bowl. Jensen Plaza, named after Irving '54, Colin '57, Erik '63 and Mark Jensen '67, includes the names of every Yale football player since 1872 and serves as the grand entrance.

The Sporting News selected the Bowl as one of the 40 best college football stadiums in its book, “Saturday Shrines.” ESPN.com’s list of America’s 100 most important sports venues also included the home of Yale Football.

The playing field, which honors the gifts from the Class of 1954, hosted its 600th collegiate football game on Nov. 23, 2014, when the Elis played Harvard.

The original “Bowl” has never lost its allure or mythical status.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:06:15 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2014, 09:38:39 AM »
I know it's vogue to project Jim Harbaugh to Michigan in 2015 but I don't see him leaving the NFL or Michigan offering. It would be somewhat more likely that John would get an offer and that he would accept. While hiring Jim would be problematic having John take over would be welcomed, I should think.

Not sure why John is getting the speculation.  I get that he grew up there when Jack was coaching there, but he has nowhere near the connection to Michigan, or CFB in general, that Jim does.  And John always impressed me as a guy who had NFL goals and aspirations and will stay up in the big leagues.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2014, 10:25:50 AM »
Not sure why John is getting the speculation.  I get that he grew up there when Jack was coaching there, but he has nowhere near the connection to Michigan, or CFB in general, that Jim does.  And John always impressed me as a guy who had NFL goals and aspirations and will stay up in the big leagues.

I think John is getting the speculation because he is more likely to leave the NFL for college than Jim and his personality is much more collegial than his brother's. John is on record saying he would take the Michigan job. I think he was graduated from Pioneer High as his father was a long time assistant to St. Glenn.

The Michigan alumni network is livid right now and I really doubt Brandon and Hoke make it to New Year's Day - unless Michigan wins the Rose Bowl that afternoon.

There was a great line in the Bacon article Sultan linked that described Michigan fans,

"No fans are more passionate -- or more myopic. If their school wins a few games, they believe they'll never lose again. And if they lose a couple, the situation is hopeless."

I really thought he was writing about Scoop behavior during the Marquette season.

Death on call

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2014, 11:01:34 AM »
I think John is getting the speculation because he is more likely to leave the NFL for college than Jim and his personality is much more collegial than his brother's. John is on record saying he would take the Michigan job. I think he was graduated from Pioneer High as his father was a long time assistant to St. Glenn.

The Michigan alumni network is livid right now and I really doubt Brandon and Hoke make it to New Year's Day - unless Michigan wins the Rose Bowl that afternoon.

There was a great line in the Bacon article Sultan linked that described Michigan fans,

"No fans are more passionate -- or more myopic. If their school wins a few games, they believe they'll never lose again. And if they lose a couple, the situation is hopeless."

I really thought he was writing about Scoop behavior during the Marquette season.

Great thing about Bacon's article was that is was written before this weekend.

Also it is absolutely a trend in college football(basketball to a lesser extent) that the fans are just not following with where the leadership wants to go.  There is a recurring meme on the Penn State board I follow about the pink iPod that controls the music at Beaver stadium with a lot of grousing about the band being left out.  Both the NFL and college football need to realize that they are on the precipice of significant change if they are not careful.  The money train will not roll on forever.

Keefe, side question, does the Shane Morris concussion issue bloom into a full debacle for Hoke or does it get overlooked in the general turd dumpery that was the loss of the jug this weekend?  I thought Hoke's presser might have sealed his fate...."yeah I didn't know what was going on with him"
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2014, 11:05:41 AM »

Keefe, side question, does the Shane Morris concussion issue bloom into a full debacle for Hoke or does it get overlooked in the general turd dumpery that was the loss of the jug this weekend?  I thought Hoke's presser might have sealed his fate...."yeah I didn't know what was going on with him"

As you might have guessed, many in Blue Nation are jumping on the Morris issue as yet more fuel for an already raging bonfire. Hoke's comment was boneheaded but is very much secondary to the overall lack of success on the field.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2014, 01:11:38 PM »
As you might have guessed, many in Blue Nation are jumping on the Morris issue as yet more fuel for an already raging bonfire. Hoke's comment was boneheaded but is very much secondary to the overall lack of success on the field.

This was an interesting read on the injury issue.

http://mgoblog.com/content/not-michigan

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »

This was an interesting read on the injury issue.

http://mgoblog.com/content/not-michigan

Yea, I read that this am. I was too ashamed to post the link, actually. Say what you will about Canham, Bo and Carr - they were SOBs but they did things the right way. What's going on in A2 today is a betrayal.

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »
Yea, I read that this am. I was too ashamed to post the link, actually. Say what you will about Canham, Bo and Carr - they were SOBs but they did things the right way. What's going on in A2 today is a betrayal.

Surprised that you haven't posted about the similarities between Hoke and Crean.    Not succeeding at a storied program, clapping ineffectually from the bench, poor in-game adjustments, blaming other for failure, recruiting classes that don't pan out or get worse........  You could have some real fun with this.  

(Now where did I leave my popcorn?)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 01:47:41 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »
Hoke is a dead ringer for Jeff Garland, Larry David's friend and agent on Curb Your Enthusiasm. He was very good on that show, but his foul mouthed wife was an hilarious scene stealer.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2014, 07:19:08 PM »
I don't care if NU loses the rest of their games so long as they dismantle wisconsin on saturday.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2014, 05:00:53 PM »
Is there anyone who doesn't like Pat Fitzgerald and his coachin' style?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brandx

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2014, 05:17:44 PM »
I don't care if NU loses the rest of their games so long as they dismantle wisconsin on saturday.

UW isn't very good. Average defense and terrible QB. Maybe 7-5 only because of Gordon and easy schedule.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2014, 06:25:01 PM »
1, 2, 3, 4 all lose this weekend

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
1, 2, 3, 4 all lose this weekend

No matter which ranking you're using, pretty sure Florida state won.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2014, 06:54:27 PM »

The Cats did me proud today but they still have ND and Illinois on the schedule.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2014, 07:08:13 PM »
No matter which ranking you're using, pretty sure Florida state won.

Coaches poll had Alabama #1, but you are correct.....should have stated depending on what rankings one uses, 1 thru 4 lost today (representing 3 teams)....the irony to me is FSU appears to be the most overrated of the bunch other than Oregon
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:11:22 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2014, 07:21:13 PM »
Coaches poll had Alabama #1, but you are correct.....should have stated depending on what rankings one uses, 1 thru 4 lost today (representing 3 teams)....the irony to me is FSU appears to be the most overrated of the bunch other than Oregon

I'm really not trying to argue here, I legitimately don't understand what you're saying... Are you saying the top 4 teams in the coaches poll lost today? Or are you saying, between multiple polls, the top 4 teams lost today?

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2014, 10:09:56 AM »
I'm really not trying to argue here, I legitimately don't understand what you're saying... Are you saying the top 4 teams in the coaches poll lost today? Or are you saying, between multiple polls, the top 4 teams lost today?

He is saying "I am Chicos, and therefore I NEVER [wait for Chicos linking to several threads where he does admit that he was wrong, so I should not use NEVER] simply admit that I am wrong about anything, even a simple, inadvertent and understandable misstatement."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »
He is saying "I am Chicos, and therefore I NEVER [wait for Chicos linking to several threads where he does admit that he was wrong, so I should not use NEVER] simply admit that I am wrong about anything, even a simple, inadvertent and understandable misstatement."

Legs...I was wrong

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2014, 12:48:59 PM »
What a great day! College football is the greatest sport, good luck matching that drama NFL.  :D

2:30 games had high drama with Stanford-ND on NBC, Roll Tide-Hotty Toddy on CBS and Gus Johnson on Fox with TCU and Bommer Sonner.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2014, 01:03:37 PM »
What a great day! College football is the greatest sport, good luck matching that drama NFL.  :D

2:30 games had high drama with Stanford-ND on NBC, Roll Tide-Hotty Toddy on CBS and Gus Johnson on Fox with TCU and Bommer Sonner.

Haha!  Drama NFL, there's none of the same issues in college football I guess.  At least in the NFL a champion is determined on the field and not by some computers.  Can you imagine having a split Super Bowl champion?  What a joke.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »
Keep up.  The college football champion will not be "determined...by some computers."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2014, 01:10:05 PM »
Keep up.  The college football champion will not be "determined...by some computers."

Except it will be and it has been.  4 teams get into the playoffs.  That doesn't even put the best team from each major conference in contention for a National Title.  Not to mention what about a "mid major" that beats somebody from a "Power 6" conference in non-conference and goes undefeated?  No chance they're getting a shot at a National Title.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter