collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 college football thread  (Read 36088 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
2014-15 college football thread
« on: August 30, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
I know it's a touchy one especially with the whole power 5 thing but I still enjoy some college football. Going to see Northwestern play in a few hours. Go Cats.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: 2014-15 college football thread
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »
Funny thing about northwestern games. I have seen so much Marquette appearl here. Shorts, t shirts, jerseys and even a flag in someone's tailgate truck.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 02:17:29 PM »
Notre Dame conspiracy theory: Brian Kelly thought last season would be a waste of Everett's time at ND and wanted his potential all-american QB to be there when he had more of "his" team and more talent around, so he got Everett kicked out of school and allowed him to be there later.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:44:33 PM »
Watching the Vadgers shat the bed is always good

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 10:23:24 AM »
Went to the ND game (sorry Chili).  Golson very good (but it was Rice).

Best part was Mrs. Legs and I sat next to a charming MU nursing student who was sporting her gold MU t-shirt to go along with my blue MU hat.  Other than the few Rice fans in attendance, I think we were the only two without ND gear.  Small signs of rebellion.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »

Best part was Mrs. Legs and I sat next to a charming MU nursing student who was sporting her gold MU t-shirt to go along with my blue MU hat.  Other than the few Rice fans in attendance, I think we were the only two without ND gear.  Small signs of rebellion assimilation.

FIFY.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »
I know it's a touchy one especially with the whole power 5 thing but I still enjoy some college football. Going to see Northwestern play in a few hours. Go Cats.
While the power 5 thing is touchy, I love college football. 12 plus hours of me watching on every Saturday!

As for the Cats, there is problem with that program. Don't know if the players are tuning out the coaches. I would have that they would've had a bigger crowd. I think NIU will beat Northwestern on Saturday.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brandx

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »
While the power 5 thing is touchy, I love college football. 12 plus hours of me watching on every Saturday!

As for the Cats, there is problem with that program. Don't know if the players are tuning out the coaches. I would have that they would've had a bigger crowd. I think NIU will beat Northwestern on Saturday.

Now that games are running 3 1/2 - 4 hours, I don't care anymore. Not worth the investment of time.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 11:06:05 AM »

Hey, Rice was a bowl team last year and is picked by many to make another one this season. It's sad to see that this Saturday night will be the final time ND plays Michigan.  6:30 on NBC.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »
Now that games are running 3 1/2 - 4 hours, I don't care anymore. Not worth the investment of time.
The games are getting long. The NFL is turning into 3 1/2 hour games. I hope you feel the same about the NFL and MLB as those games are way too long. Really the case in MLB. It doesn't matter to me on Saturday's as you can always flip around to different network as there is always 7 to 11 games on at once on TV.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:10:49 AM by mupanther »
-Bill Walton

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 11:12:01 AM »

They had trouble stopping pretty much everyone last year.  And the same thing happened again on Saturday.  This is the same defensive coordinator that Wisconsin fired a few years back.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 11:14:58 AM »

They had trouble stopping pretty much everyone last year.  And the same thing happened again on Saturday.  This is the same defensive coordinator that Wisconsin fired a few years back.
There offense was slow to get going against a very poor defense last year in Cal who had one win last year and it was against a FCS school.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 11:15:55 AM »
The games are getting long. The NFL is turning into 3 1/2 hour games. I hope you feel the same about the NFL and MLB as those games are way too long. Really the case in MLB. It doesn't matter to me on Saturday's as you can always flip around to different network as there is always 7 to 11 games on at once on TV.

As a diehard MLB fan, I go into each game knowing there is no clock and that is the point.  I never understand how people that are baseball fans can complain about the time when that is part of the core of the game itself.  There is no constraint of time.

On Sunday night, you can watch an entire NFL game on Directv Sunday Ticket in about 24 minutes.  Not miss a single play.  Part of the reason the games are longer is due to the $$$$$.  The rights fees that are paid for games are insane, and the broadcasters that pay the fees have to recoup their $$$.  That means more ad insertions.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 11:28:22 AM »
There offense was slow to get going against a very poor defense last year in Cal who had one win last year and it was against a FCS school.

Simeon looked awful. His receivers were open all day and he couldn't hit them. Rotating 3 RBs didn't help either. They just need to let Green get in a groove. Fitz is in trouble if things don't pan out.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 12:19:51 PM »
Is it college football season again?   Didn't we just have one last year?   Why not have a world cup every year and college football every 4th year?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 12:33:04 PM »
Is it college football season again?   Didn't we just have one last year?   Why not have a world cup every year and college football every 4th year?

Better yet, cancel both
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »
Better yet, cancel both

Ah yes.  Wade's tradition of going into threads with subjects he doesn't like and trashing the subject matter.

You are SOOOOO cool.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 12:44:47 PM »

Ah yes.  Wade's tradition of going into threads with subjects he doesn't like and trashing the subject matter.

You are SOOOOO cool.

Thanks brotha.

Nothing to say about Tower doing the same thing right above me, which I even quoted. But hey that's cool.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »
nm
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »
Thanks brotha.

Nothing to say about Tower doing the same thing right above me, which I even quoted. But hey that's cool.

No because you do it often.  He doesn't.  Otherwise I wouldn't have used the word "tradition."  

Seriously, why is it so difficult for you to stay out of subjects that people obviously care about, but you don't?  I find fishing deathly boring, but do I trash fishing in the Scoop fishing thread?  I have no desire to play Clash of Clans, but do I trash it in that thread?

We get it.  You don't like college football.  Do you think we care that you don't?  Do you think that would somehow change our opinion?  NOPE!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 01:04:42 PM »

No because you do it often.  He doesn't.  Otherwise I wouldn't have used the word "tradition."  

Seriously, why is it so difficult for you to stay out of subjects that people obviously care about, but you don't?  I find fishing deathly boring, but do I trash fishing in the Scoop fishing thread?  I have no desire to play Clash of Clans, but do I trash it in that thread?

We get it.  You don't like college football.  Do you think we care that you don't?  Do you think that would somehow change our opinion?  NOPE!!

You are a better man than me, Sultan.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 01:15:42 PM »
Agree about Fitz being in trouble if he can't get it going this season.  Simeon played as expected, no better no worse.  Receivers dropped some catches, some poor play calling (looked like Fitz testing runners/blockers more than making appropriate calls).  Cats got going in the second half but defense was a disappointment throughout.  For an award-winning defensive player Fitz doesn't have a stand-out defensive back (maybe Chichi) this year.  Kicking team sucks big time.  No punter, poor placekicker.  Sure miss Budzien from Hartland.
I was in my usual seats, don't know how many more games I can make this season as lots of travel conflicts.  Might have to sell some good tickets.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 06:43:03 PM »
As a diehard MLB fan, I go into each game knowing there is no clock and that is the point.  I never understand how people that are baseball fans can complain about the time when that is part of the core of the game itself.  There is no constraint of time.

On Sunday night, you can watch an entire NFL game on Directv Sunday Ticket in about 24 minutes.  Not miss a single play.  Part of the reason the games are longer is due to the $$$$$.  The rights fees that are paid for games are insane, and the broadcasters that pay the fees have to recoup their $$$.  That means more ad insertions.

The other 36 minutes is dead time; that is why basketball is so much more fun to play and watch. Even when the clock is stopped for free throws you are still on edge especially near the end of the game. As for MLB there is always something going on; even when the batter calls time as he is trying to break the pitchers rhythm; or if the defense shifts to the right or left to expose a hitters weakness. For me baseball is just as much a mental game as physical. A no hitter or perfect game is just as exciting as a 17 to 15 slugfest. And of all the sports baseball is the most difficult.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:45:46 PM by muwarrior69 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 07:21:36 PM »
The other 36 minutes is dead time; that is why basketball is so much more fun to play and watch. Even when the clock is stopped for free throws you are still on edge especially near the end of the game. As for MLB there is always something going on; even when the batter calls time as he is trying to break the pitchers rhythm; or if the defense shifts to the right or left to expose a hitters weakness. For me baseball is just as much a mental game as physical. A no hitter or perfect game is just as exciting as a 17 to 15 slugfest. And of all the sports baseball is the most difficult.

Football is the perfect television sport.  I find it painful to be there in person without some heavy alcoholic beverages if the game doesn't "mean something" (i.e. Super Bowl, BCS, etc).  So much farting around, grab ass, etc.  I get it, I played football, but one never appreciates the wasted time until they are at the game with the huddles, the timeouts, the media timeouts.  That doesn't mean there are great moments in a football game in person that I don't get excited about...I do, but when you think about the actual action on the field compared to non-action, it is pretty eye opening.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »
We still gonna pretend the big ten is not overrated as a conference at football?

feedback