[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: SI: Coaches say Buzz Williams, Bruce Pearl best hires this offseason  (Read 13904 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: SI: Coaches say Buzz Williams, Bruce Pearl best hires this offseason
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 10:22:23 PM »
For all y'all with short memories, Big Boy Howland coached UCLA to the Final Four in 2006, 2007, and 2008. We've never had a coach at good, old Marquette who came close to sniffin' that stuff. Everyone got a straight up woody when Too Tan Tommy soiled his Depends one time in New Orleans.

I'm not sure what your point is here ... that we missed out on a great hire because we didn't get Howland when he threw himself at us?

If that's what you believe, you are entitled to your opinion, and I know others have that opinion as well.

I am glad we didn't get a has-been who practically was run out of Dodge. No other college is beating his door down, either, which tells me something.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 11:11:51 PM »
I love Al - think he was the greatest - but his resume' as a head coach when he arrived at MU was anything but stellar. First 2 years at Belmont Abbey (with someone else's players) were by far his best - he was 24-3 and 21-2. His final two years he was 6-19 and 6-18. If Marquette doesn't come calling Al might have been back in the family business tending bar by the late 60s.

Or, alternatively, he could have gone to Lamar then Wagner

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 09:24:49 AM »
A lot of my family are Badger football fans.  To a person, when Beilema left and Gary Anderson took over, everyone thought it was fantastic.  Phrases like "breath of fresh air" were used.  Similar to what has been said here about Wojo.  Everything that Beleima did that was a negative was over-amplified.  Furthermore things that were a positive (toughness, boot camp, etc.) were now negatives.

One season and one game in and people are now questioning Anderson.  (And I think rightfully so.)  I wouldn't say they are missing Beleima, but they are wondering if Anderson is over his skis a little.

I really hope Wojo is going to be as good as people think he is.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
To tell both sides of the story, to this day TC claims that he never soiled his Depends, it was just accidental seepage from when his bronzer leaked in his luggage...

I always thought it had something to do with the team shooting 29% from the floor.  In all my years of watching basketball, I have yet to see a team win a basketball game that shot that poorly.  When you can't make shots, and then it snowballs, you're in trouble.

The week before, when we beat the #1 team in the country......nevermind, that was because of the players.  I keep getting the meme screwed up.  Loss to #2 KU because of coach, win over #1 UK coach nothing to do with it.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »
A lot of my family are Badger football fans.  To a person, when Beilema left and Gary Anderson took over, everyone thought it was fantastic.  Phrases like "breath of fresh air" were used.  Similar to what has been said here about Wojo.  Everything that Beleima did that was a negative was over-amplified.  Furthermore things that were a positive (toughness, boot camp, etc.) were now negatives.

One season and one game in and people are now questioning Anderson.  (And I think rightfully so.)  I wouldn't say they are missing Beleima, but they are wondering if Anderson is over his skis a little.

I really hope Wojo is going to be as good as people think he is.

Your wrong here.

GA is the transforming the Badger football team from a Dinosaur Power running team, to a team in the mold of the Oregon Ducks.   This is the transition year.  The badgers played best yesterday when they were innovative and quick with jet sweeps, tosses etc.     The worst thing to happen was the badgers were winning because when they lost everyone questions the coach.     I hate the badge just as much as the next guy, but to say that fans should "Rightfully" question the coach crazy talk.    Unless your Alabama, OSU, USC, Texas, LSU; you are not getting 5 star d line players across the board.  The best counter to the physicality is speed, and GA is converting the big lumbering D line of old at Wisconsin to a fit and fast team that can go sideline to sideline.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
Well I will point out that for a couple decades Wisconsin was quite successful as a "Dinosaur Power running team."  I mean they were coming off three straight Big Ten titles.  Furthermore I think Big Ten team chasing spread option type offenses are chasing fool's gold.  That type of football isn't played in the high schools up here, so you have to import or convert most players.  Michigan State showed last year that you can play a traditional, pro-set offense and be competitive on a national level.  Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State all have been incredibly successful playing that style.  So one could legitimately question whether or not the program needed to be transformed.

But regardless, that wasn't really my point.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »
I always thought it had something to do with the team shooting 29% from the floor.  In all my years of watching basketball, I have yet to see a team win a basketball game that shot that poorly.  When you can't make shots, and then it snowballs, you're in trouble.

The week before, when we beat the #1 team in the country......nevermind, that was because of the players.  I keep getting the meme screwed up.  Loss to #2 KU because of coach, win over #1 UK coach nothing to do with it.

Hopefully you'll be making similar impassioned pleas for Buzz and why we lost to Syracuse in the Elite 8 game...11 years after the game happened.  Good Lord Chicos...enough already!  I'm starting to believe you legitimately fell in love with Tom Crean while working with him.  I mean you protect and defend the man more than what a typical wife would of her husband.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 10:15:55 AM »
Hopefully you'll be making similar impassioned pleas for Buzz and why we lost to Syracuse in the Elite 8 game...11 years after the game happened.  Good Lord Chicos...enough already!  I'm starting to believe you legitimately fell in love with Tom Crean while working with him.  I mean you protect and defend the man more than what a typical wife would of her husband.

Says the guy with an 9 month old quote from a poster who is no longer here as his signature.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 12:55:46 PM »
Says the guy with an 9 month old quote from a poster who is no longer here as his signature.   

Having a rough day dude?  One, this post makes no sense.  And two, your post on the Hannif to announce on 9/5 to Johnny Basketball was straight up dickish.

And as for my signature...so what?  The site isn't missing out on any good analysis offered by BrewCity77.....that post in and of itself highlights the fact.  And lastly, someone who wants to hurl insults and barbs at my takes/and posts (as BrewCity did frequently), but can't take it being reciprocated...and has to pick up their ball and go home and leave the site?  Really?  Man up. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »
I always thought it had something to do with the team shooting 29% from the floor.  In all my years of watching basketball, I have yet to see a team win a basketball game that shot that poorly.  When you can't make shots, and then it snowballs, you're in trouble.

The week before, when we beat the #1 team in the country......nevermind, that was because of the players.  I keep getting the meme screwed up.  Loss to #2 KU because of coach, win over #1 UK coach nothing to do with it.

Okay, so maybe there's three sides to the story.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:12:00 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »
I always thought it had something to do with the team shooting 29% from the floor.  In all my years of watching basketball, I have yet to see a team win a basketball game that shot that poorly.  When you can't make shots, and then it snowballs, you're in trouble.

The week before, when we beat the #1 team in the country......nevermind, that was because of the players.  I keep getting the meme screwed up.  Loss to #2 KU because of coach, win over #1 UK coach nothing to do with it.

Speaking of soiling shorts and jump shot woes, wasn't Buzz in charge when Marquette put up an NCAA Tournament record worst shooting performance in the biggest game to date of his coaching career?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 02:18:57 PM »

Sure...of course did Buzz's team knock off #1 the week before to get us in the Final Four?

But yes, coaches can't shoot for players, or play defense,  etc, 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »

Well, you know what I always say about the NCAA tournament:

It is the ultimate crapshoot ... if saying that helps my narrative.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2014, 08:26:47 PM »
Speaking of soiling shorts and jump shot woes, wasn't Buzz in charge when Marquette put up an NCAA Tournament record worst shooting performance in the biggest game to date of his coaching career?

I remember it well. Buzz was in charge. It was in the round AFTER the same Syracuse team completely dismantled a #1 seed that had two senior 4 stars, a McDonald's AA point guard, the country's top 6th man and two guys drafted in the top 4. Biggest disappointments in the tourney that year. Wasn't TC in charge of that train wreck?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2014, 09:34:30 PM »
I remember it well. Buzz was in charge. It was in the round AFTER the same Syracuse team completely dismantled a #1 seed that had two senior 4 stars, a McDonald's AA point guard, the country's top 6th man and two guys drafted in the top 4. Biggest disappointments in the tourney that year. Wasn't TC in charge of that train wreck?

I have a feeling Golden Avalanche at this time regrets his post.  The egg IU laid against Syracuse was even worse considering the above, than was the one MU laid.  As I recall IU was ranked #1 in the country for a decent part of that season. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »

He belittles Buzz's outstanding record at MU in the NCAAs by saying he was lucky - it's a crapshoot.

He excuses TC's mostly awful record at MU in the NCAAs by saying he was unlucky - it's a crapshoot.

The only time he doesn't harp on the luck factor in the NCAAs is when he talks of 2003, the ultimate Crean outlier. Crapshoot? Lucky? No, that was the greatest accomplishment at Marquette by anyone not named Al McGuire.

It's ironic. It's hypocritical. It's Chico logic.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2014, 09:13:34 AM »
I have a feeling Golden Avalanche at this time regrets his post.  The egg IU laid against Syracuse was even worse considering the above, than was the one MU laid.  As I recall IU was ranked #1 in the country for a decent part of that season. 

Unlike you, I deal in reality and rationality which never results in regret.

The point, which I should have known to be well above yours and others' wage rate, is every young coach has one particular game their fanbase will always remember as being a debacle of their coaching abilities. The deflection and ignorance of some fans goes to show just how deeply these embarrassing losses linger in their childish bellies.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2014, 10:46:57 AM »
Your wrong here.

GA is the transforming the Badger football team from a Dinosaur Power running team, to a team in the mold of the Oregon Ducks.   This is the transition year.  The badgers played best yesterday when they were innovative and quick with jet sweeps, tosses etc.     The worst thing to happen was the badgers were winning because when they lost everyone questions the coach.     I hate the badge just as much as the next guy, but to say that fans should "Rightfully" question the coach crazy talk.    Unless your Alabama, OSU, USC, Texas, LSU; you are not getting 5 star d line players across the board.  The best counter to the physicality is speed, and GA is converting the big lumbering D line of old at Wisconsin to a fit and fast team that can go sideline to sideline.   

I'll believe it when I see it.  Getting speed up to Wisconsin has and will always be difficult.  The stock in the state is big, powerful, white guys from which to build huge offensive and defensive lines.  It's easy to say he wants to do that, but we'll see.

I haven't been impressed by a Wisconsin QB that came into the program from day one (not Russell Wilson rent a player) in 20 years, either.  Yes, I know a few got to the NFL, but I'm spoiled with talented QB's out here in the Pac 12, so my bar is set high. 

The coaching staff looked pathetic in the second half, and I giggled.  It's always fun to watch them shat themselves.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 10:47:53 AM »

Which it is.....doesn't need to help my narrative at all, it is the ultimate crapshoot. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2014, 10:52:54 AM »
What an odd topic. As I understand it (h/t chicos) it is wholly improper to make a judgment on a coach until 5 years have elapsed. Are all these coaches psychics?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2014, 10:54:28 AM »
He belittles Buzz's outstanding record at MU in the NCAAs by saying he was lucky - it's a crapshoot.

He excuses TC's mostly awful record at MU in the NCAAs by saying he was unlucky - it's a crapshoot.

The only time he doesn't harp on the luck factor in the NCAAs is when he talks of 2003, the ultimate Crean outlier. Crapshoot? Lucky? No, that was the greatest accomplishment at Marquette by anyone not named Al McGuire.

It's ironic. It's hypocritical. It's Chico logic.

You still have reading problems apparently.  Oh well.

This just in (actually not just in, have said it often), the run in 2003....was a crapshoot, just like any other run.  There was luck involved, just like any other run.  If you would like, please feel free to thumb tack it to the top so you don't forget.

No hypocrisy, treating them the same.  Players ultimately win, and you need some luck as well.  How the other team plays might have something to do with it also....just a hunch. 

What I challenge here, Lenny, is the idea that you and others love to push about the KU loss and ignore what happened 6 days earlier in the biggest win in 35 years for this program.  Now, that is hypocrisy.  The boys did not play well against KU, they played exceptionally well against UK.   Then, I play the same game as you guys do, solely to show your hypocrisy, you go into the fetal position.  Irony.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »
Time to move on. Good luck to Buzz but who cares what he does at this point. He is yesterday's newspaper.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36:29 PM »
Time to move on. Good luck to Buzz but who cares what he does at this point. He is yesterday's newspaper.

Agreed.  Can't we all just move on now?  Both Tom Crean and Buzz Williams did really positive things with our program.  They both experienced a very high level of success, as well as national recognition.  Anyone that says that they did not enjoy the runs under both coaches are liars.

Could we have gone farther with both?  Of course - what program couldn't.  We tend to focus more on could have happened (or in some posters' cases, SHOULD have happened), rather than what has happened (which is pretty darn good if you ask me). 

Crean and Buzz are both gone.  We have Wojo now.  Let's get excited and look forward to the day where we can list the reasons as to why we aren't National Champions under his watch...   ::)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2014, 08:37:39 AM »
Unlike you, I deal in reality and rationality which never results in regret.

The point, which I should have known to be well above yours and others' wage rate, is every young coach has one particular game their fanbase will always remember as being a debacle of their coaching abilities. The deflection and ignorance of some fans goes to show just how deeply these embarrassing losses linger in their childish bellies.

If your point was every young coach has one particular game their fanbase will always remember as being a debacle of their coaching abilities - why didn't you make that point originally?  LOL.  Nice, typical, weak way to try to backpedal from your ill-conceived post (just as Lenny's pointed out to you and owned you in his post.)

Anyone who knows your history here knows you ride Crean's jock in a similar way as Chicos.  Sad thing with guys like you is that you can't even be objective about the reality of the coaching performance of your man crush - Crean was awful in that game against Kansas, much like he was against Syracuse 2 years ago.  Buzz was awful all of last season.  I loved Buzz, supported him, but certainly didn't let my mancrush on him, skew my view of his performance.  That's the reality I live in - you? 

And btw - your arrogance regarding wage rate and reality/rationality is just flat out cheesy.  New Jersey cheesy.  Then again, wouldn't expect much more from a Jersey dude.  You been hanging with "The Situation" this summer? 

feedback