[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Mayo Leaves Checkered Past at Marquette For NBA D-League  (Read 3739 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Todd Mayo Leaves Checkered Past at Marquette For NBA D-League
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:29:32 PM »
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2014/8/28/6073825/todd-mayo-leaves-checkered-past-at-marquette-for-nba-d-league

Todd Mayo Leaves Checkered Past at Marquette For NBA D-League

The brother of Milwaukee Bucks O.J. Mayo has left the Marquette Golden Eagles and chosen to pursue a career in the NBA D-League before heading to the 2015 NBA Draft.

P.J. Hairston chose the D-League when he was having issues with the NCAA and North Carolina. Former Texas A&M Aggie Jamal Jones decided to join the D-League this year after leaving A&M, because of differences with the program. It's clear that the NBA Development League is becoming a serious option for talented players who are running into issues at the collegiate level. The next name to add to this list of players is Todd Mayo, brother of Milwaukee Bucks guard O.J. Mayo.

Todd Mayo -- a 6'3" 195 pound guard -- was the leading scorer for the Marquette Golden Eagles last season, averaging 11.3 points per game. Mayo would have been a senior at Marquette this season, but decided to leave the program after running into multiple problems in his years with the Golden Eagles.

The talented guard was running into problem the first time he stepped on the Milwaukee campus of Marquette. Mayo was sent home to West Virginia by head coach Buzz Williams during his first summer on campus, to understand the value of his scholarship. Then, four days before Marquette's season opener during his sophomore season, Mayo was declared academically ineligible by the university.

The 6'3" guard would miss Marquette's first 10 games of that season from the academic suspension, but declared that he would be better after his return (via Painttouches.com), "It definitely was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my life, period," he told the media following the game. "If I didn’t do what I needed to do then I was never going to step on the court in (Division I) basketball again."

As a surprise to no one, Mayo's comments were received well at the time, but the suspensions wouldn't stop there. O.J. Mayo's little brother missed a practice in December of the following season and was suspended one-game by the program. A one-game suspension doesn't seem like much, but consider that it was Mayo's fourth suspension in three years.

Say what you will about O.J. Mayo, but it's clear that the Mayo family comes from a talented basketball background. However, it's unfortunate that both brothers -- O.J. and Todd -- have ran into a series of problems at their respective collegiate programs.

Even though Todd Mayo has decided to leave Marquette, it's important to bring up that he has left the program in good academic standing. His academic issues with Marquette probably factored into the decision, but Mayo is already 24-years-old and wants to get his professional career started. Joining the D-League draft this season will give Mayo a season of playing professionally before entering the 2015 NBA Draft.

Todd Mayo is a name to watch out for in the NBA D-League this upcoming season. His last name brings expectations and pressure, but Mayo has overcame enough during his life to deal with the pressure. He has a lot more to overcome if he wants to make it to the NBA and the NBA's Development League will be the place that Mayo either proves he deserves an NBA deal or doesn't.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo Leaves Checkered Past at Marquette For NBA D-League
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:34:14 PM »
http://hoopshabit.com/2014/08/27/nba-draft-blog-interview-todd-mayo/

NBA Draft Blog Interview with Todd Mayo

Late last month, Marquette guard Todd Mayo announced that he would be leaving the Golden Eagles’ basketball team to pursue a professional basketball career. A few days ago, it was announced that Mayo would enter the NBA Developmental League’s draft this fall.

Mayo was expected to be a big contributor to Steve Wojciechowski’s first Marquette team after averaging 11.3 points per game on 46 percent shooting off the bench last season. Mayo finished last season with three straight games of twenty or more points, including 26 points and 11 rebounds in a one-point loss to Providence.

With the new college season fast approaching, Mayo knew he had to make a decision on his future soon. “It had been on my mind after the new staff came in,” said Mayo. “It hurt to lose a father figure like Coach Williams.”

Though Mayo had his up and downs playing under Williams, it was the coach’s guidance which helped him to continue to develop as a player and a person. “It was all about hard work with Coach,” explained Mayo. “You had to learn to be an ‘everyday’ guy to play for him. He put so much into making me a better player and teaching me discipline.”

Now, as Mayo starts his preparation for the next level of his career, he knows that his game can be what teams are looking for. “Being a pro is all about ‘what do you do great?’” Mayo said. “I may not be the most athletic, or have the greatest handle, but I am an ‘everyday’ who is willing to do all I can to get better.  I am always willing to learn more to improve.”

As for where he wants to improve, Mayo is very open about his need to learn a lot more. “I really want to keep working on every area of my game, and focusing on being prepared when teams get to see me,” said Mayo. “I’m working on mastering my game, and it won’t always be easy. I didn’t start playing basketball until the tenth grade, so I know that there is still room for me to improve as a player.”

With the decision to leave school for a professional career, Mayo and his agent, Daniel Hazan of Hazan Sports Management, had to then decide if Mayo would go the International route or stay close to home in the D-League. “I felt being in the D-League, and in front of the eyes of NBA teams, was best because they could see me as I continue to get better,” explained Mayo. “While I could improve overseas, it could be tough for teams to see how my game is improving.”

Mayo had some former teammates to talk to about the D-League and their experiences, including former Marquette guards Vander Blue and Darius Johnson-Odom. Blue played in Idaho last year, and Johnson-Odom played for the Los Angeles D-Fenders and Springfield Armor during the past two seasons. Both players will able to earn ten-day contracts in the NBA from the D-League.

Also providing advice to Mayo was his brother OJ, a six-year NBA veteran, now with the Milwaukee Bucks. “He wasn’t happy with my decision to leave school, but he will always give me advice,” said Mayo. “He said I have to be a man now, and I always have to be willing to learn.”

Looking forward to his future, Mayo sees an opportunity for great growth. “I’m building a new brand now,” said Mayo. “My career at Marquette wasn’t always great, but it was a learning process. I just need to have a humble mindset and the sky’s the limit.”

D-League teams have already started to show interest in Mayo, and he will be having numerous private workouts with teams in the coming weeks.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:07:32 PM »
Building a new brand....I hate it when people say this about individuals, especially themselves.  Yes, there is truth to it, but that is part of the problem when as a team player you're worried about your brand.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:23:47 PM »
Wow, they got the oj mention in twice in the first two paragraphs. Who would of known they were related?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

source?

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:31:26 PM »
Wow, they got the oj mention in twice in the first two paragraphs. Who would of known they were related?

I know, right? I have a really short memory, so it was great that they made the reference about 20 times in the article.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »
Todd mayo and oj can both head to the d league.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 03:11:44 PM »
I leave Scoop for a couple of months and this happens! What did y'all do?

feedback