[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU radio voice lobbies against impaired driving  (Read 724 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
MU radio voice lobbies against impaired driving
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/news/local/2014/08/28/mu-radio-voice-lobbies-impaired-driving/14750555/

MU radio voice lobbies against impaired driving

Radio broadcaster Steve "The Homer" True says he has few lingering physical effects from a crash with an impaired driver in Milwaukee last fall, but the incident left an indelible mark on him.

"One thing that has happened because of this, that I didn't anticipate, is that I have incredible emotion toward people who were in similar situations who died," True, the voice of Marquette University basketball, said Thursday in Green Bay, where he was part of the Governor's Conference on Highway Safety at the KI Convention Center.

"I know I should be dead, and I'm not. You can't help but think about other people who had the exact same situation, and their family members died."

True's story is included in a Wisconsin Department of Transportation video called "10 Stories. One Vision."

True was seriously injured in a two-car collision in Milwaukee in November when a car ran a red light and crashed into his Toyota Corolla. He initially was listed in critical condition at a hospital after the accident.

The 44-year-old driver of the car that hit True was charged with operating under the influence of a controlled substance, causing injury. That driver is due back in Milwaukee County Circuit Court next month.

True was released from the hospital after two days and was back on the job a short time later. He has shared his story with the DOT and said by speaking out, he and others can make a difference in reducing the number of people who drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

"It doesn't require making any judgment on anybody's behavior ... that has nothing to do with it," he said. "You can do whatever you want. But don't drive."

More than 220 people were killed, and 3,000 injured, in alcohol-related crashes in 2012, according to the most recent data from the state DOT. About 36 percent of all fatal crashes in Wisconsin were alcohol-related in 2012.

Aside from sleeping more, True said he has few ill effects from his crash.

"People say 'Well, you're old,' but I was old the day before the accident and I didn't sleep as much," the 59-year-old said. "Other than sleeping more, I've not had to adjust anything. I went back to work a week after the accident."

feedback