[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: New Islamic centers in US  (Read 15849 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
New Islamic centers in US
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »
Looks like Minneapolis and Detroit have become centers for Islamic Radical Recruitment.  Actually, didn't UCONN have a guard from MN named EL-Amin about 15 years ago?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:06:46 PM by ATWizJr »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: New Islamic centers is US
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
Re: New Islamic centers in US
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:08:47 PM »
Looks like Minneapolis and Detroit have become centers for Islamic Radical Recruitment.  Actually, didn't UCONN have a guard from MN named EL-Amin about 15 years ago?

How can you post this comment without referring to the Cincy player Muhammed Jihad?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:15:39 PM »
Mpls has a large community of Eastern Africa immigrants who sought political asylum, etc over the years.  It is this communities children who have interest, are getting recruited and returning (i.e. grew up pretty much entirely in the states and finding connection with radical elements).  There have been some very good articles written about this situation many years old at this point....just now refocused due to the US citizen's death in Syria.  I am sure the folks from Minnie on this board are not surprised.

Don't know why Khalid El-amin has anything to do with the sad situation above.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 02:23:51 PM »
Other people sure do have funny names.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »
Detroit also has a huge Islamic community in the Dearborn area.  If I recall correctly, there was a constitutional case regarding a Dearborn Mosque's right to blast the call to prayer over loudspeakers 5 times a day.
Have some patience, FFS.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »
Mpls has a large community of Eastern Africa immigrants who sought political asylum, etc over the years.  It is this communities children who have interest, are getting recruited and returning (i.e. grew up pretty much entirely in the states and finding connection with radical elements).  There have been some very good articles written about this situation many years old at this point....just now refocused due to the US citizen's death in Syria.  I am sure the folks from Minnie on this board are not surprised.

Don't know why Khalid El-amin has anything to do with the sad situation above.

Having grown up in MKE in the 50's-60's on the south side, I didn't encounter many (any) persons of Islamic persuasion.  Most immigrants at that time were displaced persons from eastern Europe.  Met plenty of Scandinavians in my brief encounters in MN but no persons of Islamic persuasion.  Then saw that this kid from UConn had a middle eastern sounding name and was surprised he was from MN.  Now apparently two MN muslims have been killed in Syria. Not as odd as I thought to be living in the frozen north and to have emigrated from traditionally warmer climes.  I guess I would have expected Somalis to be attracted to warmer locales.

Just my naiveté..

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 02:27:49 PM »
Detroit also has a huge Islamic community in the Dearborn area.  If I recall correctly, there was a constitutional case regarding a Dearborn Mosque's right to blast the call to prayer over loudspeakers 5 times a day.
Decision?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 02:49:31 PM »
Decision?

It was allowed.  Now the fair citizens of Dearborn are awakened at 5:10 a.m. to the amplified voice of someone chanting "Allah Akbar".
Have some patience, FFS.

brandx

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 02:55:38 PM »
Moderator,

Can we just set up a "We Hate Muslims" thread where certain people can voice their displeasure - and the other 90% of us here can ignore?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »
Moderator,

Can we just set up a "We Hate Muslims" thread where certain people can voice their displeasure - and the other 90% of us here can ignore?
have yet to see any hate registered in this thread.  Like your suggestion about establishing an ignore feature, oh wait….

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 03:13:51 PM »
how tall are they?  Can they hit a 15-footer?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 03:21:21 PM »
how tall are they?  Can they hit a 15-footer?

Excellent catch!

Death on call

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »
Detroit/Dearborn has a ton of Muslims. We also have a sh!t load of Chaleans in metro Detroit which are Catholic Iraqis. No one outside the Detroit area knows what Chaleans are so trying to explain them is kind of funny, but they're good people.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:25:36 PM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 03:50:29 PM »
nm. nothing good can come from this thread
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 03:52:17 PM by Bleuteaux »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 03:54:59 PM »
Associating people with Arabic last names with radical terrorists is no more fair than associating everyone with an Italian last name with organized crime.

We are Marquette educated, and we are better than that. So let's not.

Catholic churches have been allowed to blast their bell chimes all over cities. I'll admit I'm glad I am not within earshot of the Muslim call to prayer every morning at 5 am but I see nothing unconstitutional about it.

Who is associating Arabic surnames with radical terror?  For myself, I was just surprised to learn that there was a sizable Arabic population in what I thought was a Scandinavian dominated locale.  Nothing more.  But I can see taking a closer look at the airport at young men that look like they may be of middle eastern descent and letting the old Busias through with little scrutiny , aina?

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 03:58:26 PM »
Detroit/Dearborn has a ton of Muslims. We also have a sh!t load of Chaleans in metro Detroit which are Catholic Iraqis. No one outside the Detroit area knows what Chaleans are so trying to explain them is kind of funny, but they're good people.

Met a few in Wisconsin. Good people. Sorry to see that they had to get kicked out of their homes.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 04:07:32 PM »
Met a few in Wisconsin. Good people. Sorry to see that they had to get kicked out of their homes.

Yeah, that would really suck being thrust into a place where you're the minority just because your government/region sucks. It'd be like if we had to go back to Conference USA /shudder.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »
In before the lock.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 04:40:37 PM »

A couple of our terps in Iraq were Chaldean. What was genuinely sad is that they knew their time in Iraq was over, especially those working with MNC-I. After thousands of years in Mesopotamia these good, decent people were being forced to flee because they followed the wrong God. The fortunate ones were those with family in Detroit, Toledo, and Chicago.

Say what you will but for centuries Iraq was a center of religious tolerance and pluralism, even under Saddam. During the Baathist era Jews and Christians openly worshipped and held positions of power and influence in both the public and private sectors. If there was religious discord it was between the minority Sunnis who held power and the majority Shiites who were socially and economically repressed.

One of the worst aspects of Bush's OIF Gambit was the loss of religious tolerance in Iraqi society. Americans are horrified by what happened to James Foley, and rightfully so, but anyone who has been in Iraq after 2004 has seen far worse on an order of magnitude that is incomprehensible.

What has been transpiring there in the name of God defies description and haunts the sleep of those who made it back. Every night every AFSOC dude I know downs a Prazosin to hold the wolves at bay.  

Death on call

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 04:55:45 PM »

I had never heard of Chaldeans until I became good friends with a guy from Detroit in college.  I thought it was a derogatory term until I found out what it meant.  Pretty sure Miss America a few years ago from Detroit was a member of that group.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »
I had never heard of Chaldeans until I became good friends with a guy from Detroit in college.  I thought it was a derogatory term until I found out what it meant.  Pretty sure Miss America a few years ago from Detroit was a member of that group.

It would be criminal to hide this behind a burqa. The guy who gets to unwrap this every night is a lucky man.

Death on call

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »
speaking of dearborn, their mulsim influence is quite large-so much so that this long time(35 years) successful wrestling coach was possibly fired for his religion-yes this happened in america-just saying

http://www.abpnews.com/archives/item/4266-christian-coach-says-muslim-principal-fired-him-over-religion
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
Crash, you rang, man?
[http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.contourcorsets.com/daily/towelhead.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.contourcorsets.com/daily/april2013.html&h=523&w=418&tbnid=QxfDULGYFQkl1M:&zoom=1&docid=C_k7Uls3lEX-2M&hl=en&ei=lNL_U9PcOZHJggSkmoGIDA&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CDkQMygSMBI]
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 09:38:21 AM »
A couple of our terps in Iraq were Chaldean. What was genuinely sad is that they knew their time in Iraq was over, especially those working with MNC-I. After thousands of years in Mesopotamia these good, decent people were being forced to flee because they followed the wrong God. The fortunate ones were those with family in Detroit, Toledo, and Chicago.

Muslims, Jews and Christians all follow the same god... otherwise, why all the fighting?

Think about it... kids argue about whose dad can beat up the other kid's dad, though nobody actually throws punches over it.  But siblings clamoring for attention from their parents won't hesitate to break out the claws and teeth.

That's what religious discord is... children of the same god fighting about who can be a better ass-kisser.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

feedback