[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ellenson Top 3  (Read 41003 times)

kmwtrucks

• All American
Re: Ellenson Top 3
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »
Coach k played at Army, Bell Self played at OK st, Izzo was a Div 3 all american, Boeheim played at Cuse. Cal played at UNC willmington and clarion. 

Crean Buzz never played any college ball at any level. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2014, 03:44:32 PM »
Why so?

We already knew before this that Kentucky, MSU, Duke, and UW among others were interested. That he has trimmed some of those should increase our confidence.

But like others here, I was, and am, most worried about Izzo.

And if we get both guys - looks to be a top 3 class.

Oh I am no less confident about landing Ellenson. But I am nearly 100% confident about him deciding in time for the early signing period. I'm about 75% confident about landing Ellenson.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
Oh I am no less confident about landing Ellenson. But I am nearly 100% confident about him deciding in time for the early signing period. I'm about 75% confident about landing Ellenson.
which is when?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2014, 03:52:55 PM »

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2014, 03:53:41 PM »
calhoun played at Umass-lowell, and then transferred to a D2 school where he was the best player for 2-3 yeras.

Bottom line.... all the coaches named were darn good players and in fact(to the point) know what it is like to have been a player.  Crean and Buzz, like chicos, only know what its like to pick up jocks.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2014, 04:07:03 PM »
You mean he isn't going to play defense?
I thought Ellenson played pretty good D on Diamond last year at the Concordia tourney. He guarded Diamond far better than Diamond guarded him. And that is the beauty of his game; if you follow him outside, he will take it to the hole with ease because of the athleticism. This guy is the total package. Not much weakness to his game at all. For a college comparison, I think he comes in as a freshman and plays much like Jon Leuer when he was a senior at UW.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »
Agree. Yes, Crean and Williams had legit success at MU. I get that. However, I love that Wojo has been a breath of fresh air. It seems as though Crean and Williams were trying to overcompensate for having never played the game... using tackling dummy drills, bootcamps, etc.

Now, MU has a coach who has played the game at an elite college level. Wojo seems much more relaxed and confident than our previous two coaches. I'm sure he's much easier to be around.

Tackle dummy drills have been used at Michigan State for 2 decades, that is where Crean brought it in from.  They are used at a number of schools.

I agree that Wojo is likely more of a player's coach, yet to believe many of the posters here over the last 6 years, one would think Buzz was as well.  Thing is, Buzz was a player's coach to some players, but not to others...same goes for Crean.   Question for Wojo will be whether that style can succeed over the long run with discipline, productivity, etc.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2014, 04:14:58 PM »
We sure Deiner doesn't have any eligibility left?

Wojo:  Hey, Travis, I just read an article that some coaches use a drill with tackling dummies to toughen their team up.  What do you think?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »
Coach k played at Army, Bell Self played at OK st, Izzo was a Div 3 all american, Boeheim played at Cuse. Cal played at UNC willmington and clarion.  

Crean Buzz never played any college ball at any level.  

However, he did start for Team Williams which had a really nice home floor out in Mequon, I hear.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:25:24 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »
Take out the word elite and that argument holds no water because most of those guys played in college. A guy who played vs a guy who watched practice at a junior college and swept the floor is quite a bit diffrent. I'm sure players will be able to relate to the player much more than the janitor.

I agree. But "elite" was in the first post on this subject. K was the closest ... a starter at Army, if one considers that elite. Williams was on the freshman team at NC, couldn't cut it and talked his way onto the coaching staff. Izzo ... Northern Michigan ... elite? Come on. Etc., etc.

I would say some kids might relate to a young coach like Wojo more because he is "like them" than because he played. That's why they relate to Shaka, too; he is "cool." But again, even this is over-generalizing.

I mean, does anybody here think a single recruit chooses UNC, Duke and MSU because Williams, K and Izzo "played" 1000 years ago? Come on!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
Tackle dummy drills have been used at Michigan State for 2 decades, that is where Crean brought it in from.  They are used at a number of schools.

I agree that Wojo is likely more of a player's coach, yet to believe many of the posters here over the last 6 years, one would think Buzz was as well.  Thing is, Buzz was a player's coach to some players, but not to others...same goes for Crean.   Question for Wojo will be whether that style can succeed over the long run with discipline, productivity, etc.
Don't think that Buzz is a players' coach.  He did appeal to some as a father figure, but not otherwise as a players' coach.  More of a tough displinarian who did single out specific players who he felt could take more criticism.  Not a negative.  Just who he is.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2014, 04:28:27 PM »

umm ...without counting to make exactly sure,  approx. half of this list did in fact play D1 ball.

As I say in a later comment ... I was responding to that certain coaches played "elite" level major ball. Not a one hear did, that's for sure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2014, 04:40:46 PM »

I mean, does anybody here think a single recruit chooses UNC, Duke and MSU because Williams, K and Izzo "played" 1000 years ago? Come on!

It's not because of the fact that they played, it's the fact that they have a diffrent outlook. They can understand the kids more/better. You're right that Izzo probably doesn't show up in a kids family room with his college stats, but he might say "look I played in college too. I wasn't that good which is why I went to Northern, but I played so I know what it's like. If you come to MSU I'll watch out for you because I understand what it takes to be a student athlete."  

Who knows what these coaches say and how they pitch these kids, but being a former player is another arrow in the quiver.
Bring back FFP!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2014, 04:57:23 PM »
Don't think that Buzz is a players' coach.  He did appeal to some as a father figure, but not otherwise as a players' coach.  More of a tough displinarian who did single out specific players who he felt could take more criticism.  Not a negative.  Just who he is.

Fair point, though I think it comes down to benchmark comparisons.  There were players that hated the rigid structure Crean put into place around classes, tutors, practice, etc, etc.  Felt like they had no freedom to do anything...as an example.  Don't get me wrong, Buzz had a regimented system, as well.  Players that played for both seemed to think one was more lax than the other, thus more of a "player's coach" in comparison.  There are certainly some coaches out there that are very lax that make Buzz look like an authoritarian.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »
However, he did start for Team Williams which had a really nice home floor out in Mequon, I hear.
Wojo:  Hey, Travis, I just read an article that some coaches use a drill with tackling dummies to toughen their team up.  What do you think?

On a roll.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2014, 05:31:43 PM »
I thought Ellenson played pretty good D on Diamond last year at the Concordia tourney. He guarded Diamond far better than Diamond guarded him. And that is the beauty of his game; if you follow him outside, he will take it to the hole with ease because of the athleticism. This guy is the total package. Not much weakness to his game at all. For a college comparison, I think he comes in as a freshman and plays much like Jon Leuer when he was a senior at UW.

I was just kidding cuz they compared him to Kevin Love.

I (and obviously many others) really apreciate your posts here. They are almost always 'must reading'..

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2014, 05:59:20 PM »
I agree. But "elite" was in the first post on this subject. K was the closest ... a starter at Army, if one considers that elite. Williams was on the freshman team at NC, couldn't cut it and talked his way onto the coaching staff. Izzo ... Northern Michigan ... elite? Come on. Etc., etc.

I would say some kids might relate to a young coach like Wojo more because he is "like them" than because he played. That's why they relate to Shaka, too; he is "cool." But again, even this is over-generalizing.

I think it's possible at the beginning of their career it was something that they might've thrown out there. But just like every resume things get old and pointless to have on there after awhile
Maigh Eo for Sam

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2014, 08:22:02 PM »
Would be a pretty good class for Marquette if Ellenson goes there.  Heldt looks like top 150 now and Noswoiak just inside top 100.  Nice first class for Wojo.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2014, 08:25:37 PM »
Why would Ellenson and Stone both declare their lists today?  Coincidence?   Special date?

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2014, 11:35:44 PM »
Izzo. Krzyzewski. Calipari. Calhoun. Boeheim. Ryan. Self. R. Williams. Smart. And, yes, Crean and B. Williams.

Just a handful of the dozens of highly successful current (or recent) coaches who never played college basketball at the elite level.

This is such an overrated dynamic. If it weren't, K and Cal wouldn't have top-10 recruiting classes every year.

Might it influence some recruits or please some players after a guy like Wojo arrives? Sure. But please. The list of great coaches who never played elite basketball is far longer than the list of great coaches who did. It's probably not even close.

FYI MU82 Boeheim played at Syracuse

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2014, 11:36:25 PM »
Would be a pretty good class for Marquette if Ellenson goes there.  Heldt looks like top 150 now and Noswoiak just inside top 100.  Nice first class for Wojo.

Not sure if this is an intentional downplay...but Heldt is 94 in the 247 composite which factors in all rankings. Noskowiak is 68.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »

Outstanding!

Death on call

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2014, 12:34:04 AM »
Why would Ellenson and Stone both declare their lists today?  Coincidence?   Special date?
Lol that is quite the coincidence I think

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2014, 09:01:49 AM »
Lol that is quite the coincidence I think
Technically, wasn't Ellenson on the 27th (although late) and Stone on the 28th?