[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Mayo Interview  (Read 27891 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Mayo Interview
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:15:34 PM »
Thanks for that link. You are right - it is interesting.

Especially eye-opening were Mayo's comments about Buzz. As tough as Buzz was on him and as much as it seemed they clashed, Mayo clearly looked at Buzz as a father figure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:21:58 PM »

Especially eye-opening were Mayo's comments about Buzz. As tough as Buzz was on him and as much as it seemed they clashed, Mayo clearly looked at Buzz as a father figure.

Just ask LW....

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:28:18 PM »

Of course, he did get sent home that one summer because he did not have a relationship with Buzz.......a lot changed once his mom got involved.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:33:42 PM »
Just ask LW....

Ask him what? And in what city's unemployment line might we find him? I see Scott Pilarz is back working at the high school level - maybe he'll hire Larry.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 05:09:22 PM »

Hold on.  I was told repeatedly that Buzz "mind-f*cked" him.  Maybe it is a Stockholm syndrome kind of thing...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »
Hold the Mayo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 05:12:06 PM »
Didn't Mayo say "it was a needed change" when Buzz left?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »

Hold on.  I was told repeatedly that Buzz "mind-f*cked" him.  Maybe it is a Stockholm syndrome kind of thing...

Well, of course he says nice things about. Buzz - if he doesn't, his PT this year will be....oh, that's right - never mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
Let me know when Todd goes back and finishes his MU degree.

Did that article say Todd is OJ Mayo's bro? Had no idea.  ::)

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 05:25:19 PM »
I'm going to miss broadcasters telling us that Todd is the brother of OJ Mayo.  That never got old. 

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 05:39:26 PM »
Wish him well. Hope he lands somewhere and gets some playing time.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 05:39:32 PM »

LOL.  Another nice offering Sultan.  Regarding Todd's quotes in the article - did you not also notice the quote where he said "in college I expected to be on the floor."  Do you feel 23 minutes a game and playing behind a guy who couldn't make a 2point FG to save his life was really satisfying Todd? Or in Todd's head he didn't feel he deserved to be on the floor more last season?

I'm sure Todd respects Buzz. That does not mean that he liked the way Buzz coached him last year, or perhaps years prior.  We all know an assistant coach encouraged Todd to go to Buzz and ask for more playing time.  Todd also said it was probably best for the coaching change to take place at the time Buzz left.  Additionally, Todd leaving MU, largely is due to Wojo not giving Todd the impression that the offense would be run through him...and Wojo not wanting to deal with Todd.  

So, by virtue of Todd saying nice things about Buzz - that doesn't mean he liked the way he was coached under Buzz - and the odd way in which Todd "left" - not declaring for the draft - but then just "deciding" in the middle of the summer he wasn't coming back - needed to be explained in some way.  Much like Buzz needed to explain his rationale for going to VaTech - as it didn't make a lot of sense on the surface.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 05:39:41 PM »
I'm going to miss broadcasters telling us that Todd is the brother of OJ Mayo.  That never got old. 

And often times it was...NBA STAR OJ Mayo (who was getting DNP's with the Bucks)
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 05:40:36 PM »
Didn't Mayo say "it was a needed change" when Buzz left?

Yes...he did...care to comment Sultan/Lenny?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 06:23:21 PM »
His loyalty to Buzz meant that if Buzz stayed, Mayo would have stayed.   "It was time for a change" so he could move on personally without any guilt. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »
His loyalty to Buzz meant that if Buzz stayed, Mayo would have stayed.   "It was time for a change" so he could move on personally without any guilt. 

LOL - Todd Mayo's quote about "It was time for a change and probably for the best," was specifically with regard to Buzz leaving, and the coaching change...at the time of the coaching change.  Had nothing to do with Todd being able to move on personally without any guilt.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 06:48:59 PM »
Bumstead was the only dude who would have him----barely.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »
Appreciate what Todd did,wished he had a bigger role but luckily we had a all american SG playing 37mpg  ;).  Good luck Todd

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 07:03:39 PM »
LOL - Todd Mayo's quote about "It was time for a change and probably for the best," was specifically with regard to Buzz leaving, and the coaching change...at the time of the coaching change.  Had nothing to do with Todd being able to move on personally without any guilt.

Todd professed his personal loyalty to Buzz.   He said that since the people who recruited him were gone, he felt it was time to move on.   He also said that it was time for a change.   Please, for the love of all that is holy, do not make this another 3 thousand post crusade.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 07:13:57 PM »
Todd professed his personal loyalty to Buzz.   He said that since the people who recruited him were gone, he felt it was time to move on.   He also said that it was time for a change.   Please, for the love of all that is holy, do not make this another 3 thousand post crusade.   

Todd basically had to save some kind of face for essentially being asked to leave the program...what is he supposed to say?  Kind of just like Buzz had to come up with some B.S. reasons for why VaTech.  I loved Mayo as a player...from all reports though sounds like he was very high maintenance.  Point was, that if you were going to keep him around...why not maximize his minutes/talent..since you are paying the price of having to deal with some of the issues that came along with Todd?  Nobody in their right mind for one second would think Jake Thomas is a better basketball player than Todd.

And as for 3 thousand post crusade - no worries - never would have been necessary all of last season had you and 5 others relented at some point after we got game and game and game of data showing us we were going to suck if nothing changed in our backcourt.  But instead you and the 5 others continued on saying Buzz's teams always get better, blah, blah, blah.  NOne of Buzz's other teams ever played 4 on 5.  In reality...that starting lineup Buzz rolled out was more like playing 1 on 5 on the offensive end.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
Todd has no reason to save with Buzz.   According to you, everything else he said was true, but anything praising Buzz was a lie.   I had nothing to do with your posts last year.   I had you on ignore from approximately the second week of January through Buzz leaving town.   I saw what you wrote when it was quoted.  That is all.  I saw things differently than you.   I don't take it personally.   Why is so important that everyone be completely lockstep with you on a fansite?   And why do you make it an obsession when they don't?   
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:27:35 PM by tower912 »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 07:25:28 PM »
You need help.   

I'm not the one with a distorted sense of reality regarding what was going on last season with Buzz..and his coaching decisions.  I mean we just got Value Add data that showed the guy who played more minutes than any other player on the team was a 0.00 value add.  It sucks to have to pile on Derrick - should probably have just put you and the others on ignore all last season when it was clear you guys simply didn't get it...and apparently still don't..or are too prideful to acknowledge the flawed ways of your thinking last season.

Thank God we have this season to look forward to, and what I anticipate will be a solid coaching job, with a consistent rotation developed, and no more hyper manic subbing.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 07:29:02 PM »
I always thought more players should take the dleague and Europe approach. 160k in education is not worth it you don't get a degree, or you get a lower level (career prospect wise) without any experience. Take the 30k a year and play professionally if that's all you are looking to do with your life.

That said I think it's pretty obvious there is more to this story as to why mayo left besides loyalty to buzz.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 07:34:09 PM »
LOL.  Another nice offering Sultan.  Regarding Todd's quotes in the article - did you not also notice the quote where he said "in college I expected to be on the floor."  Do you feel 23 minutes a game and playing behind a guy who couldn't make a 2point FG to save his life was really satisfying Todd? Or in Todd's head he didn't feel he deserved to be on the floor more last season?

I'm sure Todd respects Buzz. That does not mean that he liked the way Buzz coached him last year, or perhaps years prior.  We all know an assistant coach encouraged Todd to go to Buzz and ask for more playing time.  Todd also said it was probably best for the coaching change to take place at the time Buzz left.  Additionally, Todd leaving MU, largely is due to Wojo not giving Todd the impression that the offense would be run through him...and Wojo not wanting to deal with Todd. 

So, by virtue of Todd saying nice things about Buzz - that doesn't mean he liked the way he was coached under Buzz - and the odd way in which Todd "left" - not declaring for the draft - but then just "deciding" in the middle of the summer he wasn't coming back - needed to be explained in some way.  Much like Buzz needed to explain his rationale for going to VaTech - as it didn't make a lot of sense on the surface.

It really is awesome that a minor response just springs you into action.  I really shouldn't get such a perverse joy out of your over-the-top responses, but I just can't help myself.

feedback