[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A more optimistic Big East projection  (Read 10472 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: A more optimistic Big East projection
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 10:29:16 AM »
I would be absolutely stunned if the Big East added a school that had D1 football.   The whole purpose of the schism was to create a conference free of football with schools that played basketball at the highest level.   Adding UConn or Memphis, while good for basketball, completely craps on the original intent by bringing instability into the conference with two colleges who are looking to jump as soon as one of the big 5 football conferences comes asking.   
Do you really think that matters. If the p5 break away they may look to brings with and if the big east is the best available they'll take more than just uconn Memphis. As of now though uconn and Memphis are not heading to a p5 while the p5 is still with the ncca

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 10:31:14 AM »
I think there could be a time where we add football playing schools back in. But it wouldn't be till after another round of expansion by the power 5. If they snap up a team or two from the AAC and basically create a seperate football league from the Rest of D1A I think essentially the best remaining teams in the AAC would be no different from Villanova with respect for Football for all intents and purposes. At that point it would be find to add a Uconn or a Memphis if they aren't in the real football anymore.
Fair assessment

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
Do you really think that matters.

Yes, I think it matters because BE schools have said that it matters.

If the p5 break away they may look to brings with and if the big east is the best available they'll take more than just uconn Memphis. As of now though uconn and Memphis are not heading to a p5 while the p5 is still with the ncca

Honestly I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here.  But I think the AAC is going to match whatever the Power 5 do.  And if they leave, I think the AAC and the BE will be two of the conferences that will follow if invited. 

I think there could be a time where we add football playing schools back in. But it wouldn't be till after another round of expansion by the power 5. If they snap up a team or two from the AAC and basically create a seperate football league from the Rest of D1A I think essentially the best remaining teams in the AAC would be no different from Villanova with respect for Football for all intents and purposes. At that point it would be find to add a Uconn or a Memphis if they aren't in the real football anymore.

So what you are saying is, "we will invite football schools if they really aren't football schools any longer."  Perhaps.  I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 10:38:43 AM »
Yes, I think it matters because BE schools have said that it matters.

Honestly I am not quite sure what you are trying to say here.  But I think the AAC is going to match whatever the Power 5 do.  And if they leave, I think the AAC and the BE will be two of the conferences that will follow if invited. 

So what you are saying is, "we will invite football schools if they really aren't football schools any longer."  Perhaps.  I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Yes basically that's wat I mean, i agree with you about the last part

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 12:36:01 PM »
The Big East will expand again. Maybe not this year, or next, or even in four years, but it will expand again. I think right now they are waiting to see how all this power 5 stuff shakes out. The outcomes have the potential to shake up the landscape of college basketball. I don't think they will, but there is potential.

As for who would we add, I think you have several options that you could pursue. Some more likely than others.

VCU (they were decent before Shaka and I've heard Shaka is staying until the Florida job opens up)
Gonzaga (if they can negotiate the geography)
Saint Louis (little history, gonna suck next season, but great TV market)
Dayton (groan)
Wichita State (solid program, terrible TV market)
Rhode Island (Long shot, but they should be decent this season. If Hurley turns that program around, they fit our geographic profile nicely)
Saint Joe's (If nova doesn't mind sharing Philly)
Richmond (would rather have VCU but Richmond does match the private school model)
BYU (if they can negotiate the geography and they stay independent in football)
Saint Mary's (if they can negotiate the geography)
Notre Dame (very unlikely, next to impossible, but I know trying to get them back in the fold has been discussed by the BEast)
San Francisco (Long shot, geography is an issue)
Denver (Long shot, but they are already in the BEast for LAX)

Looking at this list, it makes me wonder if a west coast division of the Big East conference would be possible. Or some sort of partnership with the WCC. I think the WCC play a lot better basketball than people realize, they just don't get the publicity. Maybe adding the Big East brand would be enough to elevate some of those teams. This of course is unrealistic and a pipe dream, just thinking out loud.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »

They'll need more than that. What would that be, 75 teams? I think you've got add the MWC, Missouri Valley, WCC, A-10, and Conference USA at the very least. Add in the academies and ivies for some fun and that should be good.

That gets you to 145. Do they all play in the football format though? I don't know.

“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 08:28:08 AM »
The Big East will expand again. Maybe not this year, or next, or even in four years, but it will expand again. I think right now they are waiting to see how all this power 5 stuff shakes out. The outcomes have the potential to shake up the landscape of college basketball. I don't think they will, but there is potential.

As for who would we add, I think you have several options that you could pursue. Some more likely than others.

VCU (they were decent before Shaka and I've heard Shaka is staying until the Florida job opens up)
Gonzaga (if they can negotiate the geography)
Saint Louis (little history, gonna suck next season, but great TV market)
Dayton (groan)
Wichita State (solid program, terrible TV market)
Rhode Island (Long shot, but they should be decent this season. If Hurley turns that program around, they fit our geographic profile nicely)
Saint Joe's (If nova doesn't mind sharing Philly)
Richmond (would rather have VCU but Richmond does match the private school model)
BYU (if they can negotiate the geography and they stay independent in football)
Saint Mary's (if they can negotiate the geography)
Notre Dame (very unlikely, next to impossible, but I know trying to get them back in the fold has been discussed by the BEast)
San Francisco (Long shot, geography is an issue)
Denver (Long shot, but they are already in the BEast for LAX)

Looking at this list, it makes me wonder if a west coast division of the Big East conference would be possible. Or some sort of partnership with the WCC. I think the WCC play a lot better basketball than people realize, they just don't get the publicity. Maybe adding the Big East brand would be enough to elevate some of those teams. This of course is unrealistic and a pipe dream, just thinking out loud.

Agreed on the thought about SLU not being good this year.  But I'm pretty sure we said the exact same thing last year.

I agree that the BE should not consider any football schools, but does anyone think that UCONN, Memphis, UMASS, or Cincy would consider dropping football completely or down to a D-1AA as things continue to shake out with the P5?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 08:33:19 AM »
I agree that the BE should not consider any football schools, but does anyone think that UCONN, Memphis, UMASS, or Cincy would consider dropping football completely or down to a D-1AA as things continue to shake out with the P5?

No.  I mean, eventually things might change to the point that they will, but I honestly can't see that on the horizon anytime soon.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 08:50:18 AM »

Cincinnati definitely is not dropping down football anytime soon, as they are in the process of upgrading Nippert Stadium.

The other three, I COULD (very unlikely) possibly see them dropping football a level (or altogether) in the distant future, but certainly not within 10 years. 

Memphis, in over 100 years of collegiate football, have been to SIX bowl games - they are a basketball school that sponsors football. 

UCONN is still trying to make a name for itself in football, and it's still a relatively young program (just under 15 years old) - they are a basketball school that sponsors football. 

UMASS just completed a transition to the FBS.  They are currently without a conference for football - they are a basketball school that sponsors football.

The order of likelihood of the respective teams dropping football:
1. UMASS (Until they get a conference for football, it's a distinct possibility in the next few years).
2a. UCONN (Likely will never happen)
2b. Memphis (Likely will never happen)
3. Cincinnati (Will never happen)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 09:24:34 AM »

Florida? Billy Donovan is 49 years old, he has a lucrative lifetime contract and he obviously loves it there because he has turned down multiple suitors.

And why wouldn't he love it there? Like coaches at Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, etc., he has the resources to build a national championship contender every year. Unlike them, however, he doesn't face anywhere near the amount of scrutiny because Florida is a football factory. Throw in the good weather, both as a place to live and as an environment to attract recruits, and you've got the whole package.

In many ways, Florida is the ideal college basketball job, so I can see why Shaka would want it. Unfortunately for Shaka, I also can see why Donovan would want it for, oh, another 25 or 30 years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »
The Big East doesn't want football schools, and no good football schools are interested in the BE.  That's a good thing.

VCU is better than just Shaka.  Make a good hire after he leaves and they'll be fine.

St. Louis and Dayton I think lack the value added to interest current members.  I just don't see any of it happening anytime soon.

I think SLU is all but in. Dayton I agree with you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2014, 10:16:32 AM »
Cincinnati definitely is not dropping down football anytime soon, as they are in the process of upgrading Nippert Stadium.

The other three, I COULD (very unlikely) possibly see them dropping football a level (or altogether) in the distant future, but certainly not within 10 years. 

Memphis, in over 100 years of collegiate football, have been to SIX bowl games - they are a basketball school that sponsors football. 

UCONN is still trying to make a name for itself in football, and it's still a relatively young program (just under 15 years old) - they are a basketball school that sponsors football. 

UMASS just completed a transition to the FBS.  They are currently without a conference for football - they are a basketball school that sponsors football.

The order of likelihood of the respective teams dropping football:
1. UMASS (Until they get a conference for football, it's a distinct possibility in the next few years).
2a. UCONN (Likely will never happen)
2b. Memphis (Likely will never happen)
3. Cincinnati (Will never happen)

I'm surprised Donovan didn't go after the providence job I mean the guys obviously an amazing coach and he could've turned his alma mater back into a huge power house
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2014, 10:16:48 AM »
Florida? Billy Donovan is 49 years old, he has a lucrative lifetime contract and he obviously loves it there because he has turned down multiple suitors.

And why wouldn't he love it there? Like coaches at Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, etc., he has the resources to build a national championship contender every year. Unlike them, however, he doesn't face anywhere near the amount of scrutiny because Florida is a football factory. Throw in the good weather, both as a place to live and as an environment to attract recruits, and you've got the whole package.

In many ways, Florida is the ideal college basketball job, so I can see why Shaka would want it. Unfortunately for Shaka, I also can see why Donovan would want it for, oh, another 25 or 30 years.

I agree, which is why I could see Shaka staying for awhile. But I could see Donovan leaving one day for the NBA. Also, I don't see Donovan coaching until he is 75-80
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
If Marquette finishes top-5, while hopeful I am also realistic, that would be that Seton Hall, Butler, Creighton and Providence would all struggle mightily this year.  That would be pretty harsh on the Big East.  If Villanova and Georgetown are the only schools that make the tournament, you can guarantee the league seriously considers expansion.  

Round robin scheduling only works when you have competitive teams top-to-bottom.
I think the round robin schedule is the best feature of the Big East. It has already helped the historically weaker schools. Over the next few years it will really start to take off.   One of the keys is for St. Johns to to become a strong program again. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 03:00:51 PM »
I agree, which is why I could see Shaka staying for awhile. But I could see Donovan leaving one day for the NBA. Also, I don't see Donovan coaching until he is 75-80

I can see Shaka staying for awhile, too.

Duke would seem a very nice opportunity. Folks assume they'll hire a former player, and maybe they will, but it sure would be hard to resist a guy like Shaka if he's available and interested and still winning when K hangs 'em up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson