[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A more optimistic Big East projection  (Read 10474 times)

tower912

• All American
A more optimistic Big East projection
« on: August 25, 2014, 03:56:52 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
Re: A more optimistic Big East projection
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 05:53:36 PM »
I'll have what he's having.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 06:16:43 PM »
I'll have what he's having.

He's a bright man.  As he points out - 7 Top 100 recruits on this roster.  And that doesn't even count my guy John Dawson who will be a very good player at MU before all is said and done.  Not sure if MU has ever had 7 Top 100s on the same roster?  Wojo will be so much better than Buzz was last year.  Buzz was so far off the grid last season, it skewed everyone's perception of where we can be as a program even this season - even with having lost our Top 3 scorers.

Would be shocked if team doesn't win at least 19 games.  Think 22 is a good possibility.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 06:18:29 PM »
If Marquette finishes top-5, while hopeful I am also realistic, that would be that Seton Hall, Butler, Creighton and Providence would all struggle mightily this year.  That would be pretty harsh on the Big East.  If Villanova and Georgetown are the only schools that make the tournament, you can guarantee the league seriously considers expansion.  

Round robin scheduling only works when you have competitive teams top-to-bottom.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:00:15 AM »
If Villanova and Georgetown are the only schools that make the tournament, you can guarantee the league seriously considers expansion.  

Unless UConn or Temple want to make a go of it, the Big East does not need to expand. No one at Fox Sports sees Dayton as driving TV ratings.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:12:42 AM »
Unless UConn or Temple want to make a go of it, the Big East does not need to expand. No one at Fox Sports sees Dayton as driving TV ratings.

Why Temple when you already have Villanova in the exact same market?    And why would you want to mess with any football playing schools?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:13:47 AM »

UCONN and/or Temple I don't even think crack the top-5 schools the league would (potentially) look at if the need for expansion is there.  These schools played with the football schools once, and they're not doing that again.  Fox Sports and the Big East want to continue (as well as re-build) a brand of elite basketball at the college level.  You're not going to accomplish that when you are treading water with getting 4 (or less) schools in the tournament.  If the conference lays an egg in March again this year, you can bet the league seriously considers expansion.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 08:37:02 AM »
The problem with saying MU had 7 top 100 guys is that only one of them have done anything consistent at the college level yet.  The article calls Juan and STJ "busts," and while I think that is a little harsh in the case of Taylor, it is true that neither has performed up to their ranking.And then you have Duane, Fischer and JJJ who obviously have incredible talent, but not too much experience.  Sandy Cohen is a freshman.

So you really only have one, proven guy - Deonte Burton.  

The non-conference schedule is going to likely going to be 9-3 at best.  (Losses @OSU, one in Orlando, UW).  10-2 would be incredible.  But 8-4 isn't out of the picture.  (Two losses in Orlando or ASU).  Then conference season.  I think at best you are looking at 11-7 there.  Give yourself a win in the BET...maybe two.

I think at best you are looking at 23 wins.  19 is more likely.   15 is the floor.  (8-4 pre conference, 7-11 in conference, no BET wins)

Now obviously this can all change if Duane or JJJ can shoot with consistency.  If Deonte takes that next step.  If Carlino or Juan provides the senior leadership we will need.  You could see something the equivalent of the midgets team.

But really most of all I am looking forward to seeing how this team grows.  Because I think 2015-16 is going to be big.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:15:25 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 08:41:27 AM »
UCONN and/or Temple I don't even think crack the top-5 schools the league would (potentially) look at if the need for expansion is there.  These schools played with the football schools once, and they're not doing that again.  Fox Sports and the Big East want to continue (as well as re-build) a brand of elite basketball at the college level.  You're not going to accomplish that when you are treading water with getting 4 (or less) schools in the tournament.  If the conference lays an egg in March again this year, you can bet the league seriously considers expansion.

What historically strong basketball only programs are going to be sure fire locks to consistently make the tournament that are not already in the Big East?  VCU?  They'll likely only be a basketball power so long as they have Shaka.  I just don't see a whole lot of value add schools the Big East could add.  Gonzaga?  Sure - but the geographic issues are so vast, not feasible. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »
If Marquette finishes top-5, while hopeful I am also realistic, that would be that Seton Hall, Butler, Creighton and Providence would all struggle mightily this year.  That would be pretty harsh on the Big East.  If Villanova and Georgetown are the only schools that make the tournament, you can guarantee the league seriously considers expansion.  

Round robin scheduling only works when you have competitive teams top-to-bottom.

So if we're good, everyone else sucks? Oooookay.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 08:58:45 AM »
Unless Fox is pushing the BE to add more content, I don't think the conference will be expanding anytime soon.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 09:10:43 AM »
The problem with saying MU had 7 top 100 guys is that only one of them have done anything consistent at the college level yet.  The article calls Juan and STJ "busts," and while I think that is a little harsh in the case of Taylor, it is true that neither has performed up to their ranking.And then you have Duane, Fischer and JJJ who obviously have incredible talent, but not too much experience.  Sandy Cohen is a freshman.

So you really only have one, proven guy - Deonte Burton.  

The non-conference schedule is going to likely going to be 9-3 at best.  (Losses @OSU, one in Orlando, UW).  10-2 would be incredible.  But 8-4 isn't out of the picture.  (Two losses in Orlando or ASU).  Then conference season.  I think at best you are looking at 9-5 there.  Give yourself a win in the BET...maybe two.

I think at best you are looking at 21 wins.  18 is more likely.   15 is the floor.  (8-4 pre conference, 7-7 in conference, no BET wins)

Now obviously this can all change if Duane or JJJ can shoot with consistency.  If Deonte takes that next step.  If Carlino or Juan provides the senior leadership we will need.  You could see something the equivalent of the midgets team.

But really most of all I am looking forward to seeing how this team grows.  Because I think 2015-16 is going to be big.  

You play 18 conference games not 14. you play the 9 other schools 2x so 18. So presumably you're saying the floor is 17 games and at best presumably your 9-5 prediction would be 11-7 so 23 wins would presumably be your best case scenario.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 09:13:46 AM »
You play 18 conference games not 14. you play the 9 other schools 2x so 18. So presumably you're saying the floor is 17 games and at best presumably your 9-5 prediction would be 11-7 so 23 wins would presumably be your best case scenario.

Good lord.  Thanks.  I edited my post.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:15:40 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 09:14:15 AM »

I maintain the best thing for this conference (as far as national perception and branding) is MU Nova and GTown setting themselves apart from the rest as the "kings" with a 4th and sometimes 5th spot up for grabs for the rest of the teams.  
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 09:19:25 AM »
I maintain the best thing for this conference (as far as national perception and branding) is MU Nova and GTown setting themselves apart from the rest as the "kings" with a 4th and sometimes 5th spot up for grabs for the rest of the teams.  

Just going out on a limb ... I'm guessing fans of the other 7 schools would not consider that the best thing for the conference!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 09:20:55 AM »

Umm, add in St. John's. SJU being top again would be huge for this league.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 09:23:05 AM »
Just going out on a limb ... I'm guessing fans of the other 7 schools would not consider that the best thing for the conference!

Haha I agree but this conference needs clear blue bloods and those three schools are the closest thing we have. Three with national titles, the three with the most NCAA appearances, the three out of four with recent final fours, the three with the most recent success.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 09:24:15 AM »
Umm, add in St. John's. SJU being top again would be huge for this league.

I agree it'd be big but I think we could get by fine with them as a one of those 4th or 5th teams often.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:39 AM »
What historically strong basketball only programs are going to be sure fire locks to consistently make the tournament that are not already in the Big East?  VCU?  They'll likely only be a basketball power so long as they have Shaka.  I just don't see a whole lot of value add schools the Big East could add.  Gonzaga?  Sure - but the geographic issues are so vast, not feasible. 
You make a very good point, there's really no basketball only
Schools that will consistently be good for a long nd consitient period. Once Shaka goes so does
VCu bball honestly. Maybe if you snag uconn Memphis somehow
If they were independent idk.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 09:59:50 AM »

I'm not advocating for anyone, but VCU has made the NCAA tournament 7 times since 2004.  Saint Louis has made it three consecutive years.  Dayton appears to be on the up and up as well.  There are certainly additions out there that would help balance out the bottom-feeders of the conference (DePaul, Seton Hall).

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 10:01:04 AM »
Why would the BE start adding football schools again?  I think the best school to add (who realistically would join) is Saint Louis.  Strong program recently, good school, attractive market, solid fan base.  I doubt they would drive ratings or create a ton of excitement going forward, but I wouldn't mind having them in our league.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »
Why would the BE start adding football schools again?  I think the best school to add (who realistically would join) is Saint Louis.  Strong program recently, good school, attractive market, solid fan base.  I doubt they would drive ratings or create a ton of excitement going forward, but I wouldn't mind having them in our league.
Larger markets, more exposure more
Money, stronger conference etc

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 10:20:55 AM »
I would be absolutely stunned if the Big East added a school that had D1 football.   The whole purpose of the schism was to create a conference free of football with schools that played basketball at the highest level.   Adding UConn or Memphis, while good for basketball, completely craps on the original intent by bringing instability into the conference with two colleges who are looking to jump as soon as one of the big 5 football conferences comes asking.   

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
I think there could be a time where we add football playing schools back in. But it wouldn't be till after another round of expansion by the power 5. If they snap up a team or two from the AAC and basically create a seperate football league from the Rest of D1A I think essentially the best remaining teams in the AAC would be no different from Villanova with respect for Football for all intents and purposes. At that point it would be find to add a Uconn or a Memphis if they aren't in the real football anymore.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 10:29:03 AM »
The Big East doesn't want football schools, and no good football schools are interested in the BE.  That's a good thing.

VCU is better than just Shaka.  Make a good hire after he leaves and they'll be fine.

St. Louis and Dayton I think lack the value added to interest current members.  I just don't see any of it happening anytime soon.