[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If the power 5 were to leave  (Read 11569 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: If the power 5 were to leave
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
If I was running college sports, I'd be worried less about resentment and backlash and more about a rising disinterest.

As more schools—and their fans—get squeezed out of the picture, those same fans will find something else to spend their time and money on.

And that's the big question. The power 5 think that once the other schools are eliminated, they will become fans of power 5 schools. Plus, with no competition they can charge the crap out of power 5 alums.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:05:11 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
And that's the big question. The power 5 think that once the other schools are eliminated, they will become fans of power 5 schools. Plus, with no competition they can charge the crap out of power 5 alums.

I think the Power 5 are in for a rude awakening if that's what they're counting on. I can't imagine Memphis fans/alums will automatically start rooting for—and spending money on—Tennessee football. And that's just one of many, many, many examples across the country. Bringing it closer to home. If MU is pushed aside, there is no way on God's green earth that I would automatically start rooting for the Vadgers. 

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 01:09:16 PM »
I thought the goal of every sports league—college and pro—was to draw as many fans to stadiums and TVs as possible. Hard to see how all of this is good for the long-term health of college sports.

It's a typical example of people who want to make as much money as possible, damn the consequences for the future, IMO. "Don't get greedy" would apply here.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 01:10:31 PM »
I think the Power 5 are in for a rude awakening if that's what they're counting on. I can't imagine Memphis fans/alums will automatically start rooting for—and spending money on—Tennessee football. And that's just one of many, many, many examples across the country. Bringing it closer to home. If MU is pushed aside, there is no way on God's green earth that I would automatically start rooting for the Vadgers. 

I really hope that is the case. I really do. But I don't think it is.

Look at UW-Whitewater fans. They are all die hard badger fans even though their school's football team doesn't get any attention. I worked for D2 Grand Valley State. We won back to back championships in football but all anyone cared about was how the Wolverines sucked that season or that Michigan State had a chance at the Rose Bowl.

I think there might be some outrage at first but it will die down. The sad truth is, in many cases, this transition has already happened. University of Houston students are bigger Aggie and Longhorn fans than they are Cougar fans. UL-Lafayette and Monroe fans care a helluva lot more about LSU's season, than their own. FIU, FAU, and hell, even USF fans are split between Miami, Florida, and Florida State. Sure if their alma mater is good that year, they will get excited. But if they have a down year, they automatically tune out and see what the big state schools are doing.

This is just for football btw. I don't think basketball will change this much.
TAMU

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 01:13:28 PM »
The most short-sighted part of this by the P5 (why am I calling them by the name they gave themselves?) is that with 65 teams, more and more of them will have poorer seasons.

...and not just not making a bowl-game bad, but like 2-11 bad, especially if they only play themselves as 69% of the coaches surveyed by ESPN said.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
I don't have a lot of faith in humanity, so I think TAMU's fears are warranted.

I also wonder if the P5 will try / already accomplished to get as large a % of fan bases as possible so that when the split happens, it truly will be a very limited number of people who care or are turned off.

Getting the total # of times higher helps with that, but of course decreases revenue per school as more crap schools take away TV dollars.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 01:34:36 PM »

Look at UW-Whitewater fans. They are all die hard badger fans even though their school's football team doesn't get any attention. I worked for D2 Grand Valley State. We won back to back championships in football but all anyone cared about was how the Wolverines sucked that season or that Michigan State had a chance at the Rose Bowl.

I think there might be some outrage at first but it will die down. The sad truth is, in many cases, this transition has already happened. University of Houston students are bigger Aggie and Longhorn fans than they are Cougar fans. UL-Lafayette and Monroe fans care a helluva lot more about LSU's season, than their own. FIU, FAU, and hell, even USF fans are split between Miami, Florida, and Florida State. Sure if their alma mater is good that year, they will get excited. But if they have a down year, they automatically tune out and see what the big state schools are doing.

Hmmmmm. You might be right. I guess my opinion is influenced by where I live. Out here in the Bay Area, people barely care about Cal or Stanford. Too many other things to do. I guess you still see that unwavering passion for most of the schools in the Big 10 and SEC.

I don't want to suggest that college football will vanish. It obviously won't (although with more and more parents refusing to lets their kids play, football may be in trouble...but that's another discussion). But I do think you're starting to see students/alums/fans move away from college football and basketball. Fewer students are going to games. Heck, even Michigan and LSU are having problems selling tickets. Wow. And Duke basketball has struggled to sell out some games in recent years.

Basically, I wonder if the next generation gives a damn about sports like we older guys do.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2014, 01:37:13 PM »
I don't want to suggest that college football will vanish. It obviously won't (although with more and more parents refusing to lets their kids play, football may be in trouble...but that's another discussion). But I do think you're starting to see students/alums/fans move away from college football and basketball. Fewer students are going to games. Heck, even Michigan and LSU are having problems selling tickets. Wow. And Duke basketball has struggled to sell out some games in recent years.

Basically, I wonder if the next generation gives a damn about sports like we older guys do.

I think its more about the high quality of the television product than disinterest in the sport. 

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2014, 01:48:49 PM »

I think its more about the high quality of the television product than disinterest in the sport. 

Good point. But I also see fewer hard-core fanatics among today's students. Again, maybe that's just a West Coast thing.

However, I'm struck by a scene from the movie, 21 Jump Street, when Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill go back to school. When they were originally in high school, Tatum was the popular jock and Hill was the nerdy outsider. When they return, the jocks are now looked down on...and the nerds are the cool kids. I think there's a lot of truth in that.

Seems like fewer young people live and die with college or pro sports. Again, just my personal insight.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »
Good point. But I also see fewer hard-core fanatics among today's students. Again, maybe that's just a West Coast thing.

However, I'm struck by a scene from the movie, 21 Jump Street, when Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill go back to school. When they were originally in high school, Tatum was the popular jock and Hill was the nerdy outsider. When they return, the jocks are now looked down on...and the nerds are the cool kids. I think there's a lot of truth in that.

Seems like fewer young people live and die with college or pro sports. Again, just my personal insight.

One of my most favorite scenes.  It's also a bit true.  When I was a super senior at MU the freshmen that were bringing all the girls were very granola people. I mean they still played sports and watched them but not to the level I remember.  I know when I was in HS if you were a jock (I ran cross country and played varsity lacrosse 3yrs) you still needed to like music and stuff in order to be "in".  So I think it's been a slow transition. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »
One of my most favorite scenes.  It's also a bit true.  When I was a super senior at MU the freshmen that were bringing all the girls were very granola people. I mean they still played sports and watched them but not to the level I remember.  I know when I was in HS if you were a jock (I ran cross country and played varsity lacrosse 3yrs) you still needed to like music and stuff in order to be "in".  So I think it's been a slow transition. 

You must be younger than me. When I was in HS, it was 100% about sports. I played basketball and baseball. As jocks, we owned the school and were practically worshipped. Today, I'm probably not making it through the door at the popular parties.

Guess I'm just a dinosaur whose time has come and gone.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 02:16:29 PM »
You must be younger than me. When I was in HS, it was 100% about sports. I played basketball and baseball. As jocks, we owned the school and were practically worshipped. Today, I'm probably not making it through the door at the popular parties.

Well my super senior year ended this past may so I'd assume I'm one of the younger posters on the board.  It's also possible I just went to a very "unique" high school and lloydmooreslegs would probably vouch for the HS being "unique"
Maigh Eo for Sam

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 02:18:17 PM »

The Grand Valley State example is a good one. I agree with you that they are an afterthought in the greater scheme of things in Michigan. But over a long period of time the consistent success of all their sports program has driven to the school to greater visibility among potential applicants and they now enroll close to 25,000 students.

When I look at a school like Houston, the real killer for them was the death of the old Southwest Conference and all its traditional rivalries. We are very lucky here at MU to have created the New Big East on our own terms with like minded institutions. I continue to believe over time our conference and the rivalries that develop will be on of our key assets.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2014, 02:22:02 PM »
The Grand Valley State example is a good one. I agree with you that they are an afterthought in the greater scheme of things in Michigan. But over a long period of time the consistent success of all their sports program has driven to the school to greater visibility among potential applicants and they now enroll close to 25,000 students.

When I look at a school like Houston, the real killer for them was the death of the old Southwest Conference and all its traditional rivalries. We are very lucky here at MU to have created the New Big East on our own terms with like minded institutions. I continue to believe over time our conference and the rivalries that develop will be on of our key assets.

I thought Houston was hit with NCAA sanctions? Maybe this is completely false and I dreamed it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
I thought Houston was hit with NCAA sanctions? Maybe this is completely false and I dreamed it.

I think you're thinking of SMU
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2014, 02:57:22 PM »

Having looked at Grand Valley in 1983-84 and turned down my parents offer of a car if I went there instead of MU, and then having lived near it since 1989, I can agree that athletics are part of the growth, but an even larger reason for the expansion is the insular nature of west Michigan.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »
Having looked at Grand Valley in 1983-84 and turned down my parents offer of a car if I went there instead of MU, and then having lived near it since 1989, I can agree that athletics are part of the growth, but an even larger reason for the expansion is the insular nature of west Michigan.   
Agreed. I do think they feed on each other though.

brandx

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 03:38:40 PM »

Same here. I was popular because I was an athlete - certainly not for my charming personality. But the smartest nerd.... he didn't have a chance with the girls.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 03:41:51 PM »

I think the difference is in the process, and the likelihood of a resulting backlash.  Some schools - UW-Whitewater, FAU - never were competitive at a high D-1 level.  Other schools - Houston and USF - have had varying degrees of success, but (especially Houston) have gradually faded.  Those kinds of processes don't cause backlashes by fans against the "power" schools, because there's nothing to lash out against.  Instead, fans of the less successful schools gravitate toward the power schools, which never really did anything to cause the less successful schools' demise.

On the other hand, if the "Power 5" suddenly take a definitive action to "eliminate" large numbers of previously successful high D-1 programs, it could cause a huge backlash.  IMHO, very few MU fans would suddenly become UW-Madison fans...because UW-Madison (and the other "power" schools) would have taken a clear action to cause MU's demise.  The resulting anger would take quite a long time to dissipate....

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »
The P5 must believe that fans of displaced teams will simply shift their support to a P5 school. I just don't see that.

If MU gets lost in the shuffle, I'm not automatically rooting for the Vadgers...or any other school I have no real connection with. I'd probably get back into the NBA or perhaps the NHL. Or maybe I'd further cut back on my college/pro sports devotion. There are only so many hours in the day. And as we all get busier, that leaves less time for watching/following sports.

Have to believe I'm not alone.

Frankly, that's already happening with me. My precious free time is increasingly reserved for my running (thinking about participating in a marathon next year), biking, or hiking.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2014, 08:09:27 PM »

Lot of excitement tonight at Houston's first game at their new on campus stadium. 40,000 fans are loud.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2014, 08:20:38 PM »
Lot of excitement tonight at Houston's first game at their new on campus stadium. 40,000 fans are loud.

Mack Rhoades has done a good job....he was my best man at my wedding and a very good man.  UH is a tough place to be an AD at.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2014, 10:08:59 PM »

Good. I hope they can revitalize their fan base. The more passionate fan bases, the better for collegiate sports
TAMU

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2014, 10:36:05 PM »

I don't know what kind of drugs those leaders are taking, but man they must be powerful.

Makes me wonder where they got their education, because it is illogical and lacks fundamental knowledge about the economic drivers in college sports.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2014, 10:38:11 PM »

Except all the above cases you are referring to have been that way for decades.  Those schools have saturated their market…there is not additional market for them to win.