Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bradley Center 33rd for college bball....ahead of the Kohl Hole  (Read 7180 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: Bradley Center 33rd for college bball....ahead of the Kohl Hole
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
Ironically, MU may be a few years away from Kohl Hole 2

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »
The review on the Bradley Center is funny, re: Adam Silver. Of course there will be debate with this type of ranking, but I don't know how USC Upstate is a top 15 college basketball arena, just no. Hey, MU is one ahead of IU, all that matters, boom!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:55:30 PM »
The review on the Bradley Center is funny, re: Adam Silver. Of course there will be debate with this type of ranking, but I don't know how USC Upstate is a top 15 college basketball arena, just no. Hey, MU is one ahead of IU, all that matters, boom!

I'd put the BC about 50 spots ahead of the AH....a total dump.  But the natives can't get over that it is "their dump" so they don't want to change it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 01:04:44 AM »
Don't tell my boss, but I burst out laughing when I saw Reed Arena up there at number 11. It might have been good back in the day, but it is sorely in need of an update....which it is getting next year!

Also, there have been no fans in Reed Arena since Turgeon left. Well, the women's games are well attended.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 06:53:01 AM »
I prefer the Kohl center over a hockey arena. The Kohl Center can get much louder than the BMO Harris Center can.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 08:49:05 AM »
I was stunned by this rankings, which suggests the guy really has not been to many college basketball venues.

Clearly the best, outside the Bradley Center, is Cameron Indoor Arena, home of Duke. I would argue Hinkle Fieldhouse and Memorial Gym in Nashville should be in the Top 10. The latter is a hellhole for opposing teams. 

I know SIU is an on-again, off-again mid-major but their arena being ranked significantly better than our's, Indiana's, Vanderbilt's or Duke's is, well, nuts.

Finally, get UD arena off that list! It's Dayton, forgodsakes. The only reason the world knows about the place is that UD somehow has a hold on its conferences and the NCAA and gets a boatload of games they don't deserve there!

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
I'm surprised we even made the list.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
This entire article is crap.

Rupp #1?  Only if you like watching hoops in a ginormous '70's era high school gym, complete with low-tech scoreboard.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:35:36 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 09:39:17 AM »
I'm surprised we even made the list.

Well it goes to 351 so I'd hope we'd place somewhere on it.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
I was stunned by this rankings, which suggests the guy really has not been to many college basketball venues.

Clearly the best, outside the Bradley Center, is Cameron Indoor Arena, home of Duke. I would argue Hinkle Fieldhouse and Memorial Gym in Nashville should be in the Top 10. The latter is a hellhole for opposing teams. 

I know SIU is an on-again, off-again mid-major but their arena being ranked significantly better than our's, Indiana's, Vanderbilt's or Duke's is, well, nuts.

Finally, get UD arena off that list! It's Dayton, forgodsakes. The only reason the world knows about the place is that UD somehow has a hold on its conferences and the NCAA and gets a boatload of games they don't deserve there!

In all honesty, have to disagree on some of this.  I've been to Cameron, Hinkle and Dayton.   Cameron is overplayed in my view.  It is fun, and for big games can get crazy down low, but what you see on camera and what happens in the rest of the building (it is small) aren't the same thing. 

Dayton, always supports their team, pretty consistent fans.  Not over the top, but knowledgeable.   Hinkle, aside from the historical magic, didn't think the crowds were anything special.  Depends who you play.

In my view it is important to see what the authors used as their criteria.  Also, it would be great to know which games they went to.  Attending a UNC vs Duke game is a lot different than a UNC Greesnboro vs Duke game.  Nevertheless, all 351 schools rated.  Give them a hat tip just for the 4 year effort.

Criteria used:  "Our reviews are based on several categories including: food & beverage in the arena, the overall atmosphere, the neighborhood in which the arena resides, the fans, the access (including traffic, parking, restrooms, and ability to move around in the arena), overall return on investment, and a catchall category for any extras. We use the rating of our correspondent as our primary ranking, with the crowd reviews of our members as the secondary factor. In cases where there is still a tie, we have an internal discussion to determine which arena experience might be slightly better."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 10:18:17 AM »
In all honesty, have to disagree on some of this.  I've been to Cameron, Hinkle and Dayton.   Cameron is overplayed in my view.  It is fun, and for big games can get crazy down low, but what you see on camera and what happens in the rest of the building (it is small) aren't the same thing. 

Dayton, always supports their team, pretty consistent fans.  Not over the top, but knowledgeable.   Hinkle, aside from the historical magic, didn't think the crowds were anything special.  Depends who you play.

In my view it is important to see what the authors used as their criteria.  Also, it would be great to know which games they went to.  Attending a UNC vs Duke game is a lot different than a UNC Greesnboro vs Duke game.  Nevertheless, all 351 schools rated.  Give them a hat tip just for the 4 year effort.

Criteria used:  "Our reviews are based on several categories including: food & beverage in the arena, the overall atmosphere, the neighborhood in which the arena resides, the fans, the access (including traffic, parking, restrooms, and ability to move around in the arena), overall return on investment, and a catchall category for any extras. We use the rating of our correspondent as our primary ranking, with the crowd reviews of our members as the secondary factor. In cases where there is still a tie, we have an internal discussion to determine which arena experience might be slightly better."

ABD

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 10:23:38 AM »
The dump that DePaul plays in was ranked 337.....generous IMO.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »
This entire article is crap.

Rupp #1?  Only if you like watching hoops in a ginormous '70's era high school gym, complete with low-tech scoreboard.

+1. Perhaps the crappiest facility we have ever seen a game in.  Total dump.  Heck, I'd much rather enjoy a game in the UWM Panther Arena downtown.  Frankly, Lexington itself blows chunks.  Now the surrounding countryside..... different story.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 11:43:55 AM »
+1. Perhaps the crappiest facility we have ever seen a game in.  Total dump.  Heck, I'd much rather enjoy a game in the UWM Panther Arena downtown.  Frankly, Lexington itself blows chunks.  Now the surrounding countryside..... different story.
I am not sure if there is a new Rupp arena, but it holds 24,000 people and is probably always sold out. It also has the Kentucky Basketball Museum attached to it and that is as good or not better than the museum at Lambeau Field.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »
I am not sure if there is a new Rupp arena, but it holds 24,000 people and is probably always sold out. It also has the Kentucky Basketball Museum attached to it and that is as good or not better than the museum at Lambeau Field.

So large and full makes a good arena?

And unless they have built it since the 2013 tourney, there is no new Rupp Arena.
Have some patience, FFS.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »

Memorial Stadium in Nashville is a toilet. I think it's worse than the Allstate Arena, but i admit i don't find it as bad as others. At least Allstate sells beer. I was really looking forward to seeing our game at Vanderbilt and once i got there, I was very disappointed.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »
Don't tell my boss, but I burst out laughing when I saw Reed Arena up there at number 11. It might have been good back in the day, but it is sorely in need of an update....which it is getting next year!

Also, there have been no fans in Reed Arena since Turgeon left. Well, the women's games are well attended.

So , if Jeff Orr comes to town with Texas Tech, everyone should be able to hear what he has to say.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 08:11:29 PM »
Memorial Stadium in Nashville is a toilet. I think it's worse than the Allstate Arena, but i admit i don't find it as bad as others. At least Allstate sells beer. I was really looking forward to seeing our game at Vanderbilt and once i got there, I was very disappointed.

PR Dreamin, I respectfully disagreed with you. If Beer is a required amenity, most of the college venues in the USA fail miserably.

The fact that Memorial Gym is a concrete monstrosity makes it wonderful. The place is noisy and irreverent. Try going in there when Vanderbilt is playing Tennessee or Kentucky. The place rocks. The year we went we weren't great and there was no natural rivalry between Marquette and Vanderbilt.

The sightlines are generally good and don't compare it to DeStink. At least Nashville supports Vanderbilt consistently.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 08:57:53 PM »
So , if Jeff Orr comes to town with Texas Tech, everyone should be able to hear what he has to say.

Bahahahaahaha. +1 to you good sir
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.