[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Diamond Stone  (Read 242574 times)

ThatDude

• Starter
Re: Diamond Stone
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
Diamond Stone is a high quality I would really like to see Marquette recruit. On the other hand he is not a once in a generation player or even a once in 5 year or 10 years players. He is a top 10-15 recruit that comes along each year. I think we focus on him because he is local and thus we have a slightly higher probability than normal of recruiting him. Remember these kind of recruits are not a sure thing. Case in point Delvon Roe at Michigan State a few years back.

If he and his cousin both go to U Conn it would make a lot of sense for them. Wojo needs to keep making the case that Diamond is going to be the centerpiece here .  I think if Wojo had one year under his belt he could make the sale. In this case the family will go for the sure thing.

100% certain he goes to UCONN

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 09:38:15 AM »
Ollie is easily my favorite non-MU coach, glad Diamond is going there if not MU

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 09:54:34 AM »
This thread means it is Bucky for sure.
Yup!!

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »
Why do we constantly rip UCONN
They are the best basketball program over the last 2 decades? 
They are as blueblood as they come

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 10:05:38 AM »

The only reason people rip them is because of their conference.  But that seems to be pretty far down the list of DS's concerns.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 10:16:19 AM »
UConn is a perfectly fine choice for Diamond. Outside the BCS but like us, they will play plenty of high level games.  Makes more sense than the runner up, UW, if he in fact chooses to go to UConn.  At UW he sure wouldn't be a one and done.  At UConn he could be a one and done and they will treat him as such and try to get him to the NBA.  I would have thought that Kentucky would have been best, but at UConn he is more likely to be treated as the big man star right away I suppose. I'm sure UConn let him know he'd be featured, etc.

The reasoning behind UConn is questionable if it is due to a "past pipe line of bigs to the NBA."  The idea that a pipe line to the NBA for bigs still exists when there has been major change is questionable.  The change was to an unknown, not a known coach for getting bigs to the NBA.

Kind of like Buying a new Volvo now because historically they had safe reliable cars.  Given that ownership has changed at Volvo, I wouldn't bet on the past too much.  There maybe continuity and an emphasis on these factors, but it is a risk and an unknown. I'd prefer some historical results to prove it... thus, KY would seem safer if the NBA quickly is the goal, rather than UConn or UW.  

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 10:23:25 AM »

Because they cheat, and then are so stupid they get caught cheating.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 10:24:31 AM »

+1

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »
The non-use of teal is for the more sophisticated and discerning readers of Scoop. This is analogous to those of us who read Playboy just for the articles.

FIFY
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 11:13:33 AM »
The non-use of teal is for the more sophisticated and discerning readers of Scoop. This is analogous to those of us who read Playboy just for the articles.

Does Playboy have photos?

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 11:16:37 AM »
Ollie was an assistant for Calhoun starting in 2010 so I'm assuming that he helped recruit Andre Drummond who is expected to have a breakout year in the NBA this year. I remember when UCONN got him it was a major coup. Stone going to UCONN is not suprising at all.

A new breakout after his 13.5/13/2 breakout line last year.

I thought he'd be a solid player, but never a really good one what with his Derrick Wilson-esque shooting range.

(Open to response from anyone except Ners.)

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 11:17:01 AM »

MU cheated during the Al's years, straight from Allie McGuire's mouth, and confirmed by another player.  You think George just happened to show up here without even seeing the school.  And
in the 60's the school's campus was nothing.  Truly, they all cheat in many ways, even Wisconsin, did it during the Stu Jackson era.  Cheating goes on everyday in all these programs, you think
Kentucky kids really go to school 2nd semester?  Sam Bowie visited 2 schools back then, MU then Kentucky, who won out?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 11:37:43 AM »
I do not follow Uconn enough to know if they got caught cheating. However, they did get banned from NCAA tournament for a low graduation rate. Now, if they were cheating like North Carolina, then they would not have been banned. You can rag on them for the low graduation rate, but on the flip side they did not give players fake classes. The fact is we do not now how many North Carolinas there are out there. Uconn is much more honest than the programs that are run like North Carolina.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »

The only reason people rip them is because of their conference.  But that seems to be pretty far down the list of DS's concerns.

Again, if he goes there (as many say is a done deal, and done deals never blow up), it will be 96% because of Ollie.

That's what most of these kids do. They fall for a coach.

So many hate him now, but recruit after recruit talked about wanting to come to Marquette for "Coach Buzz." They didn't talk about Real Chili or Lalumiere Hall!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 11:45:03 AM »

MU cheated during the Al's years, straight from Allie McGuire's mouth, and confirmed by another player.  You think George just happened to show up here without even seeing the school.  And
in the 60's the school's campus was nothing.  Truly, they all cheat in many ways, even Wisconsin, did it during the Stu Jackson era.  Cheating goes on everyday in all these programs, you think
Kentucky kids really go to school 2nd semester?  Sam Bowie visited 2 schools back then, MU then Kentucky, who won out?

What?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »

Not saying you're misspeaking at all because I don't know enough about MU hoops history. Do you have a link to the Allie McGuire's quotes or some other way I can read his words? Very interested.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 02:23:58 PM »
UConn is a perfectly fine choice for Diamond. Outside the BCS but like us, they will play plenty of high level games.  Makes more sense than the runner up, UW, if he in fact chooses to go to UConn.  At UW he sure wouldn't be a one and done.  At UConn he could be a one and done and they will treat him as such and try to get him to the NBA.  I would have thought that Kentucky would have been best, but at UConn he is more likely to be treated as the big man star right away I suppose. I'm sure UConn let him know he'd be featured, etc.

The reasoning behind UConn is questionable if it is due to a "past pipe line of bigs to the NBA."  The idea that a pipe line to the NBA for bigs still exists when there has been major change is questionable.  The change was to an unknown, not a known coach for getting bigs to the NBA.

Kind of like Buying a new Volvo now because historically they had safe reliable cars.  Given that ownership has changed at Volvo, I wouldn't bet on the past too much.  There maybe continuity and an emphasis on these factors, but it is a risk and an unknown. I'd prefer some historical results to prove it... thus, KY would seem safer if the NBA quickly is the goal, rather than UConn or UW.  

"Runner up" UW.  Right.  Just like UW was the runner up for Tokoto.  And the runner up for Looney.

Anyhow, I think Kevin Ollie *might* know a thing or two about what it takes to make it to the NBA.  The better comparison would be if the only thing you cared about in a car was LED headlights and the top engineer and some higher ups at Audi left and took over at Mercedes, who more recently started going with LED headlights but now their ownership is changing, but the new ownership has experience in just what you are looking for, so you choose a Mercedes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 02:26:44 PM »
"Runner up" UW.  Right.  Just like UW was the runner up for Tokoto.  And the runner up for Looney.

Anyhow, I think Kevin Ollie *might* know a thing or two about what it takes to make it to the NBA.  The better comparison would be if the only thing you cared about in a car was LED headlights and the top engineer and some higher ups at Audi left and took over at Mercedes, who more recently started going with LED headlights but now their ownership is changing, but the new ownership has experience in just what you are looking for, so you choose a Mercedes.

I drive a Dodge Stratus, you completely lost me here

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »
I thought Stone said that he would not verbal until November?
Im calling BS on this whole thing, we all know somehow Ellenson and Stone will go to UW.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »

I'd like to see some direct quotes from Allie on this too.

As for Stone, if he isn't coming to MU then the second best choice is anyone who isn't the Vadgers.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »

Would like to see where Allie said that and who the other player might be. As for visiting the campus I do not think in the 60's many people visited the campuses. I did not visit any of the school I applied to in '79.
Goal is National Championship

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »
Not saying you're misspeaking at all because I don't know enough about MU hoops history. Do you have a link to the Allie McGuire's quotes or some other way I can read his words? Very interested.

Seriously guys, I worked with Allie in the summer, played ball with Allie, this is something that would never be brought up in a quote anywhere.  People talk, I got kicked off Dodd's board
because I made the same statement.  I heard it, believe it, and confirmed by another player.  Al had a couple of interesting rich friends.  As good a coach John Wooden was, was a better
coach with Sam Gilbert?  You think Jerry Tarkanian was a saint?  Do you think John Calipari is ?  Or for that matter Buzz Williams?  Do you really think Scott Monarch got fired for driving a
kid back to Chicago?  There was more to the story.  You think Duke or NC are clean?  Alumni want winners, it happens.  The coach may or may not know about it, but it happens.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2014, 07:33:12 PM »
They didn't talk about Real Chili

Well, clearly that's not the sort we want wearing the Blue and Gold of our beloved Warriors.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2014, 08:55:10 PM »
They didn't talk about Real Chili

Yes they did.  Al brought all the recruits to Real Chili.  He thought Blondie was hot.  He was always checking out her ankles.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »
Seriously guys, I worked with Allie in the summer, played ball with Allie, this is something that would never be brought up in a quote anywhere.  People talk, I got kicked off Dodd's board
because I made the same statement.  I heard it, believe it, and confirmed by another player.  Al had a couple of interesting rich friends.  As good a coach John Wooden was, was a better
coach with Sam Gilbert?  You think Jerry Tarkanian was a saint?  Do you think John Calipari is ?  Or for that matter Buzz Williams?  Do you really think Scott Monarch got fired for driving a
kid back to Chicago?  There was more to the story.  You think Duke or NC are clean?  Alumni want winners, it happens.  The coach may or may not know about it, but it happens.

Seriously, guy, you made it sound like it was some kind of public knowledge that Allie outed his dad for cheating.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Al "cheated." So many did back then. So many still do now.

feedback