[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Diamond Stone  (Read 242586 times)

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
Diamond Stone
« on: August 21, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »
Look for Diamond Stone to go to UCONN.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Diamond Stone
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »

Well, he wasn't really all that good. Overrated quite frankly.

Death on call

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »
I don't get that one, but as long as it's not Madison, I hope he does well.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:39:59 PM »
He must really want to play against East Carolina, Tulsa and Tulane...

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 05:55:17 PM »
I don't get that one, but as long as it's not Madison, I hope he does well.

What's not to get? A bushel of national titles ....  Okafor, Boone, Villanueva, Drummond, Thabeet, Adrien, Armstrong -- UConn has been exquisite in developing bigs into NBA-ready talent.  And he'd join Nolan who he likely knows pretty well.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »
What's not to get? A bushel of national titles ....  Okafor, Boone, Villanueva, Drummond, Thabeet, Adrien, Armstrong -- UConn has been exquisite in developing bigs into NBA-ready talent.  And he'd join Nolan who he likely knows pretty well.

Except that was all Calhoun. Even last year's national championship was mostly with Calhoun era players. I don't agree with the previous posters who insinuated it was a bad choice. But I don't think Ollie should get credit for Okafor, Boone, Villanueva, Drummond, etc.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »
Except that was all Calhoun. Even last year's national championship was mostly with Calhoun era players. I don't agree with the previous posters who insinuated it was a bad choice. But I don't think Ollie should get credit for Okafor, Boone, Villanueva, Drummond, etc.

The Stones have always wanted a school that was known to put bigs in the NBA.  It's why Georgetown was the front runner early, because there is a history of dominant, back to the basket low post players, and John Thompson is still around the program.  It's also why I thought he would eventually end up at Kentucky, because they put everybody (not just low post players) into the NBA.  But you could certainly do worse if that's what you're looking for (a history of putting bigs into the NBA) than UCONN, as NYWarrior has pointed out.  Doesn't necessarily have to do with whether or not the current coach is the one who got those players to the league.  The idea of a "pipeline" for bigs to the NBA was exactly what they have wanted.  This is exactly why MU and UW never had a shot.  What bigs have have they put into the NBA?  None.  This is a very important aspect in the Stones search.  It's what I've heard since day one and have heard ever since.  If the Stones are comfortable with the idea that although Kevin Ollie may not have been the one directly responsible for the bigs developing at UCONN, that he will have success developing Diamond into an NBA player, then he will have no problem going to UCONN.  I don't see why he'd have any questions about that, as he just won a Natty and played in the NBA himself.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:49:21 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ThatDude

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 07:46:38 PM »

I been saying UCONN for a while now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 07:58:25 PM »

Apparently, it doesn't matter to Stone who gets "credit." And it shouldn't really matter to anyone else at this point, either. Ollie did a great job last year. (I know you didn't say otherwise.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »
Well, he wasn't really all that good. Overrated quite frankly.

You have an opinion on everything, even things that you don't have a good feel for like Diamond Stone.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 08:31:22 PM »
You have an opinion on everything, even things that you don't have a good feel for like Diamond Stone.

I may be wrong but I think sarcasm is something you don't have a good feel for.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »
This thread means it is Bucky for sure.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 08:42:10 PM »
I may be wrong but I think sarcasm is something you don't have a good feel for.

I thought sarcasm was supposed to be in teal?  If it was sarcasm, then I was wrong

If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »
This has been my guess for awhile. Malik Newman also is interested in UCONN. Also, I think Calhoun is still around the program. May be hands off, but he's shown at games a lot.

Phillip Nolan is also there too.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »
Why would anyone be surprised that a top 10 player would want to commit to the defending national champions?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 09:50:02 PM »
Okafor, Boone, Villanueva, Drummond, Thabeet, Adrien, Armstrong -- UConn has been exquisite in developing bigs into NBA-ready talent.

Yeah, but those guys all played in the best conference in the country, competing against other top teams on a regular basis to help their development.  Stone will be playing in the AAC against Cincy, Memphis and the old NASCAR division of C-USA. Just my opinion, but if places like Kentucky, UNC or Duke were really options, I don't see the appeal of UConn in comparison.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 09:52:05 PM »
Yeah, but those guys all played in the best conference in the country, competing against other top teams on a regular basis to help their development.  Stone will be playing in the AAC against Cincy, Memphis and the old NASCAR division of C-USA. Just my opinion, but if places like Kentucky, UNC or Duke were really options, I don't see the appeal of UConn in comparison.

The same teams they played against en route to a National Title last year. The same teams Dwyane Wade played against while at Marquette. Better teams than Paul George played against at Fresno State. Etc. "If Kentucky, UNC or Duke were really options." Yeah, I think they'd take a top 5 player and top 2 center in the country.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 10:41:11 PM »
Players go where they like the coach and where they feel they "fit."

I'm guessing that Stone loves Ollie - who seems like a great dude to play for, not to mention one who played many years at the highest level. UConn has a nice campus and a great campus arena, and its academics are, shall we say, not too stringent.

I'm also guessing that the coach of the defending national champion doesn't have to answer a whole lot of questions about the conference from a player who loves him to begin with.

Folks who think Stone would turn down UConn because of the conference are overthinking it big-time.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 11:57:47 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 11:23:38 PM »
The same teams they played against en route to a National Title last year. The same teams Dwyane Wade played against while at Marquette. Better teams than Paul George played against at Fresno State. Etc. "If Kentucky, UNC or Duke were really options." Yeah, I think they'd take a top 5 player and top 2 center in the country.

Trading Louisville and Rutgers for ECU, Tulane and Tulsa is going to be a step down from who they played last year, and Wade and George weren't being recruited by the blue bloods.  Regardless, I wasn't trying to say he shouldn't go there because the conference, we certainly aren't in a position to be conference snobs, I just think UConn's past reputation for sending big guys to the NBA was under different circumstances than they're in now.  The "hit it off with the coach" factor makes the most sense to me, but Stone certainly doesn't have to justify his decision to message board nerds like us.  Like I said, I hope he does well, and it will be more enjoyable to follow his career since we don't have to face him.

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 06:03:05 AM »
This entire recruiting story remind me when MU tried to recruit Joe Wolf during the Rick Majerus era. Wojo may indeed turn out to be a very good coach (fingers crossed) but ... Stone's choice...National Champion versus an unknown coach.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 06:48:22 AM »
This entire recruiting story remind me when MU tried to recruit Joe Wolf during the Rick Majerus era. Wojo may indeed turn out to be a very good coach (fingers crossed) but ... Stone's choice...National Champion versus an unknown coach.
Not really as MU was already out of it. It is Ollie vs Bo. He picked a young coach with NBA experience vs an old coach. Besides that his father pushing him towards UW worked against UW. 18 year olds generally do not want to do what their parents want them to do.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 08:22:20 AM »
Ollie was an assistant for Calhoun starting in 2010 so I'm assuming that he helped recruit Andre Drummond who is expected to have a breakout year in the NBA this year. I remember when UCONN got him it was a major coup. Stone going to UCONN is not suprising at all.
Bring back FFP!!!

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 08:32:38 AM »
Not really as MU was already out of it. It is Ollie vs Bo. He picked a young coach with NBA experience vs an old coach. Besides that his father pushing him towards UW worked against UW. 18 year olds generally do not want to do what their parents want them to do.
Can you post tweet/article/press conf. Where DS picked UConn please. I haven't seen it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 09:00:01 AM »
I thought sarcasm was supposed to be in teal?  If it was sarcasm, then I was wrong

The non-use of teal is for the more sophisticated and discerning readers of Scoop. This is analogous to those of us who read Playboy just for the articles.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 09:13:56 AM »
Diamond Stone is a high quality I would really like to see Marquette recruit. On the other hand he is not a once in a generation player or even a once in 5 year or 10 years players. He is a top 10-15 recruit that comes along each year. I think we focus on him because he is local and thus we have a slightly higher probability than normal of recruiting him. Remember these kind of recruits are not a sure thing. Case in point Delvon Roe at Michigan State a few years back.

If he and his cousin both go to U Conn it would make a lot of sense for them. Wojo needs to keep making the case that Diamond is going to be the centerpiece here .  I think if Wojo had one year under his belt he could make the sale. In this case the family will go for the sure thing.

feedback