Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[Today at 10:44:37 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by onepost
[Today at 10:09:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Musings on Marquette Recruiting  (Read 65890 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Musings on Marquette Recruiting
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »
Erik Williams was 2009 you idiot!

Sorry, I didn't mean that, just didn't think there was enough controversy in this thread. Thanks for compiling the list.

NEVER CORRECT THE KEEPER OF THE LIST!

fixed

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »
I think the honors belong to Lloyd Moore.  ;)

Word.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2014, 01:37:48 PM »
I don't think he will be a starter. I think he will be competing for a starting spot. I also don't base it on youtube videos, I base it on what I have been told by people who are smarter than I am that I trust.

Ellenson had a bad break at Minnesota. He contended with injuries and was a Tubby Smith recruit playing for Baby Pitino. Multiple sources have said that Ellenson and Baby Pitino did not see eye to eye and was benched as a result. He is better than his box score suggests.
I have been told by some old friends who still work for the athletic department that Wally is the best athlete on the team. Even better than Bane. He is lacking in some fundamentals but if Wojo can teach him (something I trust Wojo to do a helluva lot more than I trusted Buzz to do) than my friends believe that he could be good enough to challenge for a starting spot. At very least he can get some highlight dunks on Fox Sports Live.

This was from over two years ago when he was shorter and about half as athletic as he is now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NytGbkU3aQM

Jaybee, what's your take on this....highlighted portion?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2014, 01:45:17 PM »
And where are Nick and Matt now? Overall it seems like mu's perception by recruits is below 50 but still seen as a legitimate spot for top 100. Interesting that despite buzz always talking about how he loved unheralded players he actually recruited more top 100 guys here in 6 years than Crean did in 9yrs.  I guess you could argue that it had to do with the perception of Marquette built up by Crean but I just find it interesting
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2014, 02:21:09 PM »
Pretty crazy that the best MU player of this era - and maybe ever - D-Wade, wasn't ranked at all. Neither, apparently, was Lazar, who played 3 years in the league. Neither (out of HS, anyway) were JFB, Jae and DJO.

Throw in a PG even of Acker's ability (as a senior) and a big like Gardner, and you have a 7-player rotation that would have contended for multiple national titles. And, seemingly, not a ranked player among them.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:41:35 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
Pretty crazy that the best MU player of this era - and maybe ever - D-Wade, wasn't ranked at all. Neither, apparently, was Lazar, who played 3 years in the league. Neither (one of HS, anyway) were JFB, Jae and DJO.

Throw in a PG even of Acker's ability (as a senior) and a big like Gardner, and you have a 7-player rotation that would have contended for multiple national titles. And, seemingly, not a ranked player among them.

Didn't even think about that, a 13-man roster from when RSCI rankings began to now of our best unranked (RSCI) players would be cool to put together. And you're right, it would definitely compete for a national championship just based on the players above.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2014, 02:56:35 PM »
Didn't even think about that, a 13-man roster from when RSCI rankings began to now of our best unranked (RSCI) players would be cool to put together. And you're right, it would definitely compete for a national championship just based on the players above.

I thought DJO was a top 100 player or at least sought after and someone screwed up paper work.  I could've sworn buzz said that once
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »

Bama wrote a nice piece on this topic (ranked vs unranked success) here:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2012/07/buzz-unmatched-in-turning-non-prospects.html

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
I thought DJO was a top 100 player or at least sought after and someone screwed up paper work.  I could've sworn buzz said that once

I think the legend goes that DJO blew up the first year in JUCO, but everyone thought he had to be a 2 year player and teams like UK (or similar tier) were starting to show serious interest. But Buzz had an inside track on the knowledge the DJO would be approved for a 1 year stay and was on him for that year's spring signing instead of the following year's class, and we still had an open scholly. He was definitely not an RSCI top 100 player out of HS for one reason or another.

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2014, 03:22:56 PM »
Pretty crazy that the best MU player of this era - and maybe ever - D-Wade, wasn't ranked at all. Neither, apparently, was Lazar, who played 3 years in the league. Neither (out of HS, anyway) were JFB, Jae and DJO.

ummm,  the lie created by Tom Cream lives on.  Dwade was extremely highly regarded.  While not highly recruited due to the fact that the Big 5 conferences did not allow scholarships under the old prop 48 rule.  Lesser conferences did, hence MU was one of the biggest names available to recruit a Dwade while other were not going to recruit what they couldnt have. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2014, 03:25:08 PM »
I think the legend goes that DJO blew up the first year in JUCO, but everyone thought he had to be a 2 year player and teams like UK (or similar tier) were starting to show serious interest. But Buzz had an inside track on the knowledge the DJO would be approved for a 1 year stay and was on him for that year's spring signing instead of the following year's class, and we still had an open scholly. He was definitely not an RSCI top 100 player out of HS for one reason or another.

The NCAA clearinghouse wouldn't approve a class that he took in high school forcing him to go to a JUCO, but at the last minute they approved him, when is when Buzz jumped in.

He was a mid-major recruit in high school with some nibbles from lower level high major programs.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2014, 03:28:40 PM »

ummm,  the lie created by Tom Cream lives on.  Dwade was extremely highly regarded.  While not highly recruited due to the fact that the Big 5 conferences did not allow scholarships under the old prop 48 rule.  Lesser conferences did, hence MU was one of the biggest names available to recruit a Dwade while other were not going to recruit what they couldnt have. 

I agree we got lucky that the competition for his services was limited (the best thing to happen to MU hoops in the last quarter century), but the fact remains he was not an RSCI top 100 player, which is I believe is what MU82 was commenting on.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2014, 03:46:52 PM »
Bama wrote a nice piece on this topic (ranked vs unranked success) here:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2012/07/buzz-unmatched-in-turning-non-prospects.html

When he was winning, people called him eccentric.   When he was losing, they called him crazy. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »
I agree we got lucky that the competition for his services was limited (the best thing to happen to MU hoops in the last quarter century), but the fact remains he was not an RSCI top 100 player, which is I believe is what MU82 was commenting on.

Exactly. Please don't call me a liar. Wade WASN'T ranked. That's what the comment was about.

I actually know Rob Judson quite well and he was an Illinois assistant when Wade was in high school. He told me Illinois and every other program knew all about Wade's talent but that for most of them their hands were tied. He still thinks there might have been a way for Illinois to get him on campus, but they never aggressively pursued their options.

DePaul was the one that really dropped the ball on Wade - showed him too little interest until too late - wasted their time pursuing the likes of Eddy Curry!

As for the pros, the Bulls could have moved up in the draft to get Wade but the Raptors asked for Donyell Marshall in the deal and Paxson wouldn't give him up. I know this for a fact.

So both DePaul and the Bulls blew chances to keep Wade in Chicago ... and Marquette and the Heat are eternally grateful!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »
Some of those poor kids he was jumping over going up to the rim should have just gotten out of the way. He can get up.

I remember seeing him as a freshman at Minny and being shocked at his athleticism. Had not been familiar with him.

brandx

« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2014, 04:29:07 PM »
I think the honors belong to Lloyd Moore.  ;)

He just wanted to be the second coming of Larry Petty.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
I know there was some who thought we were still in the running for Dwayne Bacon. Found this today

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Dwayne-Bacon-Trims-His-List-To-10-30344951

Didn't make the cut.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2014, 04:03:45 PM »
I know there was some who thought we were still in the running for Dwayne Bacon. Found this today

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Dwayne-Bacon-Trims-His-List-To-10-30344951

Didn't make the cut.
dont think wojo was on him. i think he was just mainly going for henry haanif,whitt,watson.

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2014, 04:15:55 PM »
dont think wojo was on him. i think he was just mainly going for henry haanif,whitt,watson.

Wojo didn't go after Glynn Watson either. Once he got Noskowiak he had no need for Watson.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2014, 05:46:37 PM »

I think Wojo currently has 8 "offers" out: Bryant Crawford, Matt McQuaid, Haanif Cheathum, Levan Alston, Davon Dillard, Henry Ellenson, Aaron Falzon, and Josh Sharma. McQuaid, Falzon, and Sharma seem to be going elsewhere. Haanif and Henry seem to be the top priorities.

I have heard from someone I trust that Wojo did reach out to Bacon, Stone, and Gil-Caesar. He got the thanks but no thanks.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2014, 09:13:08 PM »

All true.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »

True, he was not an RSCI top 100 player. He had big time problems at home (Mom went to jail and he had to move in with his Dad) and in the classroom. Many services overlooked him, but he blew up his senior year (scored like 81 points in a 2 game Christmas tournament) and Bob Gibbons had him at 55 in his spring rankings. Couldn't play his freshmen year, but reports were he dominated senior star Brian Wardle in practice and wowed the Bucks players in pick up games. Nobody who really followed MU hoops was at all surprised when he starred from day one his sophomore year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2014, 09:39:51 PM »
True, he was not an RSCI top 100 player. He had big time problems at home (Mom went to jail and he had to move in with his Dad) and in the classroom. Many services overlooked him, but he blew up his senior year (scored like 81 points in a 2 game Christmas tournament) and Bob Gibbons had him at 55 in his spring rankings. Couldn't play his freshmen year, but reports were he dominated senior star Brian Wardle in practice and wowed the Bucks players in pick up games. Nobody who really followed MU hoops was at all surprised when he starred from day one his sophomore year.

This is true.  I still remember being in grade school and hearing my dad tell someone about this freshman who wasn't eligible but was dominating practice while we were out shoveling a neighbor's driveway and thinking "Yeah, alright  ::)."  20-some months later we were leaving the Metrodome planning our trip to New Orleans.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »
And where are Nick and Matt now? Overall it seems like mu's perception by recruits is below 50 but still seen as a legitimate spot for top 100. Interesting that despite buzz always talking about how he loved unheralded players he actually recruited more top 100 guys here in 6 years than Crean did in 9yrs.  I guess you could argue that it had to do with the perception of Marquette built up by Crean but I just find it interesting

Not surprising, the first few years for Crean he was recruiting off a losing team, come play in CUSA and practice in the old gym.   Buzz never had to deal with any of that.

Compare Crean's last 6 years to Buzz's 6 years and you're going to get a more balanced comparison as the Big East came into play, the Al McGuire Center, and some success on the court to leverage.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »
Thanks guys. Updated through here.

Maybe repurpose this page to keep some of this for posterity?

You're missing Tyshawn, Nick Williams, etc.....all of whom would have been at MU.