'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Musings on Marquette Recruiting  (Read 65666 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Musings on Marquette Recruiting
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
It seems like its been a rough few weeks on the recruiting trail. Terrance Mann is going to Florida State, Jimmy Whitt is going to Arkansas, Malik Beasley trimmed us from his list, Montague Gil-Caesar is heading to Mizzou, Donavan Mitchell is going to Louisville, Kerwin Roach put us in his top 10, than promptly removed us when he went down to 5. This got me thinking about the future and whose Wojo's priority recruits might be. I have very limited information, most drawing from what I have observed and heard from others. But I think the priority list shakes out like so.

The Top Priorities
Henry Ellenson- I think all of scoop has the Henry fever. Big enough to play the 5 but moves and shoots like a 2 or 3. Wojo seems to have serious in roads with the Ellenson clan and would take him over everyone. Ellenson has yet to trim his list.

Haanif Cheatham- If Ellenson is the top priority, it seems that an athletic wing is next on the list. Cheatham seems to be the best of those and received he most attention from the Marquette staff. We are currently in his top 6.

The Pipe Dream:
Diamond Stone- Contrary to popular belief, Wojo has been recruiting Stone. There seems to be less interest than before the regime change. I'm not holding my breath but stranger turns have happened. Stone has yet to trim his list.

If Not H2 (Henry/Haanif) than You:
Bryant Crawford- This 6"2 PG from DC is a true floor general. Others have suggested that young Mr. Noskowiak is more of a 2 and picking up Crawford would make some sense. We are currently in his top 7.

Levan "Shawn" Alston- A 6"3 shooter from Philly. Has kind of a Todd Mayo feel to his game but hopefully without the off the court baggage and old age. Stock has been rising lately. Currently in his top 6 with the likes of Temple, Notre Dame, and VCU.

Davon Dillard- A 6"5 wing from Gary, Indiana, the armpit of America. Has nasty athleticism and is fiercely competitive. Some reports of off the court issues including his coach benching him for long stretches due to attitude. The long benchings may be influencing his ranking, might be a sleeper pick.

Wojo May Have Cooled on Them:
Matt McQuaid- A 6"5 sharpshooter from Oklahoma. Committed to SMU and then decommitted several weeks later. As far as I have heard, Wojo hasn't reached out since the decommit.

Aaron Falzon- A 6"8 stretch 4 from Massachussets. Definitely values his education. Has set on campuses already with BC, Northwestern, and Harvard. Doesn't seem like Marquette will get one of the final two visits.

Josh Sharma- A 7 footer who happens to be buddies with the previously mentioned Falzon. Haven't heard of much mutual interest. BC, Stanford, and *gulp* Bucky seem to be the leaders.

Buzz Recruits that I don't Think Wojo is in On:
Legend Robertin (JUCO)
Corey Sanders
Jarvis Johnson
Jaylen Brown
Dwayne Bacon
E'Torrion Wilridge
Jordan Murphy
Travon Bunch
Cody Schwartz

I know some comments had been made about Wojo handing out offers like candy, but it seems to me like there are only a few serious offers out there. I think Wojo has clearly made Ellenson and Cheatham priorities and is keeping three others warm on the back burner. Any combination of those top 5 would give us a well rounded and highly ranked class. The lowest ranked player out of all of them is Davon Dillard a three star who is still inside the top 125 (and seems to be more talented than his ranking suggests). And even if we don't end up with anyone, Wojo has proven to be capable of working the transfer market.

All in all, I'm excited about the trajectory of our recruiting under Wojo. I am really excited to already have Noskowiak and Heldt already locked up (and Flory to boot). Next season might be rough, but 2015-2016 could be special.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Musings on Marquette Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:01:33 PM »
Breathe TAMU.   ;)

We got Ellenson.

Stone would be great, but not a deal killer.

In 2017, we will be NC.  Our current, awesome sophomore class will be seniors.  Nick will be a junior, and Matt will shine.  Henry (and Stone, if he is smart) will be high contributing Sophs.

Done deal.

Go down to the Corner, order a Shiner, and put it on my tab.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:11:28 PM »
Breathe TAMU.   ;)

We got Ellenson.

Stone would be great, but not a deal killer.

In 2017, we will be NC.  Our current, awesome sophomore class will be seniors.  Nick will be a junior, and Matt will shine.  Henry (and Stone, if he is smart) will be high contributing Sophs.

Done deal.

Go down to the Corner, order a Shiner, and put it on my tab.

Did you mean to say in 2017 we will be "in" NC....Charlotte, Greensboro, maybe Raleigh?  Beautiful part of the country...can't imagine NC meant anything else. 

TAMU...Sharma is a STONE cold lock for the Badgers. 

augoman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 12:30:08 AM »
Nice post TAMU, thank you.  The kind I hope to enjoy everytime I visit Scoop.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:15:47 AM »
I think it is quite clear that Wojo is targeting Ellenson and Haanif. Hopefully, if they decide to go elsewhere that they do not drag the decision out to long as secondary recuits are falling off the list.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:30:25 AM »
Nice post TAMU, thank you.  The kind I hope to enjoy everytime I visit Scoop.

+1
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:55:05 AM »
In 2017, we will be NC. 

Jeesh, what a pessimist!

I mean, why aren't you saying we'll win 3 or 4 in a row?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:57:05 AM »
Did you mean to say in 2017 we will be "in" NC....Charlotte, Greensboro, maybe Raleigh?  Beautiful part of the country...can't imagine NC meant anything else. 

TAMU...Sharma is a STONE cold lock for the Badgers. 

This isn't true. Wisconsin definitely is the favorite for Sharma but Stanford has a legit shot

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 10:01:52 AM »
Haanif wished Noskowiak a happy bday on twitter this week and put #family.  Noskowiak replied with #mubb, looks like Wojo has us positioned nicely!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 10:05:52 AM »
If we get Henry and Haanif, it is an incredible first full recruiting class.

If we don't, as TAMU said, I'm nonetheless pleased with Wojo's initial efforts.

Very excited about the future of MU hoops.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 10:14:23 AM »
If we get Henry and Haanif, it is an incredible first full recruiting class.

If we don't, as TAMU said, I'm nonetheless pleased with Wojo's initial efforts.

Very excited about the future of MU hoops.

I think MU lands both.  Then I think we'll see the narrative start changing for MU basketball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 10:21:40 AM »
I think MU lands both.  Then I think we'll see the narrative start changing for MU basketball.

Not sure what you mean by this. What narrative? Whose narrative? What change? Please expound.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 10:23:07 AM »
Not sure what you mean by this. What narrative? Whose narrative? What change? Please expound.
Suspect he is referring to the Seth Davis article...?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 10:29:28 AM »

The "program in decline" narrative. Add four top 100 guys, including a top 10 big man, and the view will shift.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »
The "program in decline" narrative. Add four top 100 guys, including a top 10 big man, and the view will shift.

It would certainly mean an end to the narrative/meme of MU can't land a big recruit/big man in the middle
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »
It would certainly mean an end to the narrative/meme of MU can't land a big recruit/big man in the middle

...until he plays on the wing and then it all starts back up again.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
...until he plays on the wing and then it all starts back up again.

...even though Matt Heldt is #56 now in Scout

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 11:03:52 AM »
This isn't true. Wisconsin definitely is the favorite for Sharma but Stanford has a legit shot

Care to place a wager where he ends up?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »
...even though Matt Heldt is #56 now in Scout

...until he plays on the perimeter and we find a way to downplay the fact that he's a stretch post...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 11:17:51 AM »
Care to place a wager where he ends up?

Nope. Like I said, Wisconsin is the favorite but it isnt a lock. Ellenson to MU is likely as well but i would not place a wager on it.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 11:20:52 AM »
Posted this in the Hauser thread but will drop it here as well.

Sam Hauser ranked 77 in initial 247sports composite for 2016. Just outside the top 100 in Meyer's rankings.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »
It seems like its been a rough few weeks on the recruiting trail. Terrance Mann is going to Florida State, Jimmy Whitt is going to Arkansas, Malik Beasley trimmed us from his list, Montague Gil-Caesar is heading to Mizzou, Donavan Mitchell is going to Louisville, Kerwin Roach put us in his top 10, than promptly removed us when he went down to 5. This got me thinking about the future and whose Wojo's priority recruits might be. I have very limited information, most drawing from what I have observed and heard from others. But I think the priority list shakes out like so.

The Top Priorities
Henry Ellenson- I think all of scoop has the Henry fever. Big enough to play the 5 but moves and shoots like a 2 or 3. Wojo seems to have serious in roads with the Ellenson clan and would take him over everyone. Ellenson has yet to trim his list.

Haanif Cheatham- If Ellenson is the top priority, it seems that an athletic wing is next on the list. Cheatham seems to be the best of those and received he most attention from the Marquette staff. We are currently in his top 6.

The Pipe Dream:
Diamond Stone- Contrary to popular belief, Wojo has been recruiting Stone. There seems to be less interest than before the regime change. I'm not holding my breath but stranger turns have happened. Stone has yet to trim his list.

If Not H2 (Henry/Haanif) than You:
Bryant Crawford- This 6"2 PG from DC is a true floor general. Others have suggested that young Mr. Noskowiak is more of a 2 and picking up Crawford would make some sense. We are currently in his top 7.

Levan "Shawn" Alston- A 6"3 shooter from Philly. Has kind of a Todd Mayo feel to his game but hopefully without the off the court baggage and old age. Stock has been rising lately. Currently in his top 6 with the likes of Temple, Notre Dame, and VCU.

Davon Dillard- A 6"5 wing from Gary, Indiana, the armpit of America. Has nasty athleticism and is fiercely competitive. Some reports of off the court issues including his coach benching him for long stretches due to attitude. The long benchings may be influencing his ranking, might be a sleeper pick.

Wojo May Have Cooled on Them:
Matt McQuaid- A 6"5 sharpshooter from Oklahoma. Committed to SMU and then decommitted several weeks later. As far as I have heard, Wojo hasn't reached out since the decommit.

Aaron Falzon- A 6"8 stretch 4 from Massachussets. Definitely values his education. Has set on campuses already with BC, Northwestern, and Harvard. Doesn't seem like Marquette will get one of the final two visits.

Josh Sharma- A 7 footer who happens to be buddies with the previously mentioned Falzon. Haven't heard of much mutual interest. BC, Stanford, and *gulp* Bucky seem to be the leaders.

Buzz Recruits that I don't Think Wojo is in On:
Legend Robertin (JUCO)
Corey Sanders
Jarvis Johnson
Jaylen Brown
Dwayne Bacon
E'Torrion Wilridge
Jordan Murphy
Travon Bunch
Cody Schwartz

I know some comments had been made about Wojo handing out offers like candy, but it seems to me like there are only a few serious offers out there. I think Wojo has clearly made Ellenson and Cheatham priorities and is keeping three others warm on the back burner. Any combination of those top 5 would give us a well rounded and highly ranked class. The lowest ranked player out of all of them is Davon Dillard a three star who is still inside the top 125 (and seems to be more talented than his ranking suggests). And even if we don't end up with anyone, Wojo has proven to be capable of working the transfer market.

All in all, I'm excited about the trajectory of our recruiting under Wojo. I am really excited to already have Noskowiak and Heldt already locked up (and Flory to boot). Next season might be rough, but 2015-2016 could be special.

Great post! I think the guys you mention that we've missed on recently were all guys recently offered more or less.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 11:49:42 AM »

Right.  Obviously Wojo needs to prove it on the court with results, but I think landing a class like that shifts the whole storyline on the future of MU basketball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »
Posted this in the Hauser thread but will drop it here as well.

Sam Hauser ranked 77 in initial 247sports composite for 2016. Just outside the top 100 in Meyer's rankings.

and 4/4 crystal ball predictions point to MU. I know it means little at this point in the game, but having Mark Miller weighing in gives more reason for optimism.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
Right.  Obviously Wojo needs to prove it on the court with results, but I think landing a class like that shifts the whole storyline on the future of MU basketball.

Fair enough. Thanks.