'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Duke BBall Report: Steve Wojciechowski On Rebuilding At Marquette  (Read 8421 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
A bit patronizing about Milwaukee ... take a look at Durham Dukies!!!

Steve Wojciechowski On Rebuilding At Marquette

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/8/20/6047951/steve-wojciechowski-on-rebuilding-at-marquette

The Golden Eagles are probably going to be down, but it's hard to imagine it will last long with Wojo in the house.

In case you were wondering how Steve Wojciechowski plans to rebuild Marquette, there's no big secret: he's going to stick with the Duke template - no shortcuts.

What never occured to us, primarily because we aren't overly familiar with either city, is that Milwaukee might remind Wojo of his hometown of Baltimore.

That's kind of cool. Milwaukee, like Baltimore, is a bit battered in 2014, past the glory days, or at least the last glory days. There is a tremendous sense of place there - you don't have to spend a lot of time there to realize that.

So what to expect? We have no idea. We're not at all familiar with his players.

We are however, like most Duke fans, familiar with Wojo and we think you can reasonably expect this: his team will not be outplayed or outfought very often. If they can play with half the intensity he brought to the court, they'll do alright.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Duke BBall Report: Steve Wojciechowski On Rebuilding At Marquette
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
Yeah it's a bit patronizing.  But it's relatively accurate.  I like the term "sense of place."

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »
A bit patronizing about Milwaukee ... take a look at Durham Dukies!!!

Steve Wojciechowski On Rebuilding At Marquette

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/8/20/6047951/steve-wojciechowski-on-rebuilding-at-marquette

The Golden Eagles are probably going to be down, but it's hard to imagine it will last long with Wojo in the house.

In case you were wondering how Steve Wojciechowski plans to rebuild Marquette, there's no big secret: he's going to stick with the Duke template - no shortcuts.

What never occured to us, primarily because we aren't overly familiar with either city, is that Milwaukee might remind Wojo of his hometown of Baltimore.

That's kind of cool. Milwaukee, like Baltimore, is a bit battered in 2014, past the glory days, or at least the last glory days. There is a tremendous sense of place there - you don't have to spend a lot of time there to realize that.

So what to expect? We have no idea. We're not at all familiar with his players.

We are however, like most Duke fans, familiar with Wojo and we think you can reasonably expect this: his team will not be outplayed or outfought very often. If they can play with half the intensity he brought to the court, they'll do alright.
Typical east coast mentality that doesn't understand much between the coasts . Milwaukee is not in any way similar to a low rent city like Baltimore.

They know their guy Wojo though.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:16:50 PM »
Milwaukee and Baltimore are very similar.

About the same physical size.

About the same population.

About the same homeownership rates.

Milwaukee is more white....but it also has a higher number under the poverty line. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Typical east coast mentality that doesn't understand much between the coasts . Milwaukee is not in any way similar to a low rent city like Baltimore.

They know their guy Wojo though.

Not sure I agree. Being from DC my first take of Milwaukee was that it is very similar to Balmer.That's not entirely bad, either.

Death on call

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 09:02:28 PM »
They really wonder why the general populous hates them, sheesh. Never been to Durham, but outside of Duke how great is it? I've heard there's a great divide between campus and town, let's discuss that.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 09:04:31 PM »
Most people think Baltimore is what they see in The Wire
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 09:06:05 PM »
I'm also a Chocolate City-raised chap. Milwaukee probably was like Baltimore for a long while, but in my opinion, in 2014, MKE has decidedly more juice than Balmer, hon. Blue crabs notwithstanding.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »
Most people think Baltimore is what they see in The Wire

Nah. Baltimore actually is much more depressing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 09:15:24 PM »
They really wonder why the general populous hates them, sheesh. Never been to Durham, but outside of Duke how great is it? I've heard there's a great divide between campus and town, let's discuss that.

Duke is in chapel hill. Both Raleigh and Durham are great.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 09:22:11 PM »

Is this supposed to be in teal, or perhaps, carolina blue? You've lost credibility.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »
UNC is in Chapel Hill.  Duke is in Durham, which is no so good outside of the campus.  Raleigh is another world.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 09:56:38 PM »
Baltimore and Milwaukee, both with crazy tunnels.  Fort McKendry, and that I-43 ramp near the BC.   ;)

Wouldn't consider Durham great.  The Duke campus has a nice buffer to seclude it from a bad part of town..."bad part" including just about everything except for the newer developed areas close to Research Triangle Park and southern sections.  The favored Duke nightlife consists of going to Chapel Hill.  Doubt anyone could size up Durham to Milwaukee without lumping in the entire metro area.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 10:00:44 PM »
When you clicked on the link for the SI article, did anyone else throw up in their mouth when they saw Wojo surrounded by.... 4 morons in blue outfits?  Good lord, how embarrassing.

My point...duke fans make you want to vomit almost as much as ND fans.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 11:08:06 PM »
Baltimore and Milwaukee, both with crazy tunnels.  Fort McKendry, and that I-43 ramp near the BC.   ;)

Wouldn't consider Durham great.  The Duke campus has a nice buffer to seclude it from a bad part of town..."bad part" including just about everything except for the newer developed areas close to Research Triangle Park and southern sections.  The favored Duke nightlife consists of going to Chapel Hill.  Doubt anyone could size up Durham to Milwaukee without lumping in the entire metro area.

I spent almost two years traveling to the Triangle on business.  Chapel Hill is a nice college town with a cool main drag called Franklin St. with nice restaurants.  There exists one of the only (maybe the only) campus bars that regularly stocks Pappy, called The Crunkleton.

Duke's campus is nice, although there isn't as significant of a nightlife as in Chapel Hill.  Stray a little off campus in Durham in the wrong direction and it gets pretty bleak.  The downtown is experiencing a bit of a revival and it's worth it to catch a Durham Bulls game in the summer, but I liked Chapel Hill better.

Raleigh is about 30 minutes away on the freeway from either city without traffic and like another poster said, it is almost a world unto itself.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:43:17 PM by Wareagle »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 06:59:08 AM »
When you clicked on the link for the SI article, did anyone else throw up in their mouth when they saw Wojo surrounded by.... 4 morons in blue outfits?  Good lord, how embarrassing.

My point...duke fans make you want to vomit almost as much as ND fans.
Sorry, while I get your point, there is really no comparison to the vomiting velocity between Duke and ND fans. Duke fans: a slow leaky vomit; No Dick fans: a massive blast of the Exorcist Regan caliber.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 07:17:09 AM »

Durham is a hole.  I went there for training a few years ago and the Duke area is very very nice but it's an oasis in yuck city.  Bridgeport, CT was way nicer and that says something.  (See the Family Guy episode where Stewie & Brian find Santa's workshop at the North Pole.)

GOO

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »
I like Wojo's approach of not reaching and just signing guys to fill out the roster for next season.  No signing guys without knowing much about them, etc.

He has a longer term view than "next season" and more of a student athlete view.  I hope it works.  It would be refreshing.  Of course, it only works if there is more stability on the roster than the last decade and if we don't have a bunch of transfers each year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 09:49:17 AM »
I spent almost two years traveling to the Triangle on business.  Chapel Hill is a nice college town with a cool main drag called Franklin St. with nice restaurants.  There exists one of the only (maybe the only) campus bars that regularly stocks Pappy, called The Crunkleton.

Duke's campus is nice, although there isn't as significant of a nightlife as in Chapel Hill.  Stray a little off campus in Durham in the wrong direction and it gets pretty bleak.  The downtown is experiencing a bit of a revival and it's worth it to catch a Durham Bulls game in the summer, but I liked Chapel Hill better.

Raleigh is about 30 minutes away on the freeway from either city without traffic and like another poster said, it almost a world unto itself.

I agree with all of this. When we decided to move south from Chicago, we considered Chapel Hill before moving to Charlotte. (My wife chose between nursing jobs in the two towns.) We liked Chapel Hill a lot but saw little of interest in either Durham or Raleigh.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 10:38:12 AM »
I find it fascinating that they are so involved as to write columns about former assistants that are neither bitter nor condescending. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »
I agree with all of this. When we decided to move south from Chicago, we considered Chapel Hill before moving to Charlotte. (My wife chose between nursing jobs in the two towns.) We liked Chapel Hill a lot but saw little of interest in either Durham or Raleigh.

Shoulda gone with Charleston, SC. That place is so dope
Bring back FFP!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 12:34:49 PM »

Savannah, GA > Charleston, SC

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 01:16:50 PM »

We loved our visit to Charleston. Very pretty, and a great eating town.

Aside from being more expensive than Charlotte, however, it also didn't have the kind of hospital for my wife's specialty.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 01:45:29 PM »

Great for getting raped and shot in a gang initiation ritual?

I can't imagine sending a daughter to Duke....... and I went to Marquette (with the rest of you).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 01:59:35 PM »
Great for getting raped and shot in a gang initiation ritual?

I can't imagine sending a daughter to Duke....... and I went to Marquette (with the rest of you).

I'll leave it to keefe to do the usual photo montage but I thought I'd insert a Bella Knox comment. 
Maigh Eo for Sam