[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Just saw this tweet RE MU Alum James Wright Foley  (Read 16147 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Just saw this tweet RE MU Alum James Wright Foley
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »
I knew Jim Foley at Marquette. He was an incredible person. This is beyond sad or tragic. Jim believed in all the good things that Marquette tries to instill like faith, service to others, and loving other people. He wanted to spend his days spreading the truth about oppressed people, which is how he was first kidnapped in Syria. How he ended up in the hands of Islamic revolutionaries is a story that will be told in time, I guess.

But today we saw pure evil. First in the hands of his murderers and then by the callous voyeurs who used a good man's death as entertainment. It was all heart wrenching and sad.

To bring this around to Marquette, Jim loved Marquette and Marquette basketball. He was a big MU fan and a big Celtics fan in the NBA. I don't know if he posted here, but it would not have surprised me. Big hoops fan and overall an incredibly intelligent guy. To know Foley was to love him.

I know this is just text on a message board, but believe me when I say he was a really great guy. More than just a footnote in a news story by a million miles. Everyone was his friend.

Please say a prayer for him and his family. Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam.

I appreciate this wonderful tribute. He sounds like a wonderful person, and I grieve for those like you who lost a friend and loved one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 07:27:16 AM »
Marquette grad Ben Tracy was doing a report on remembering Foley this morning on CBS. 

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 08:41:42 AM »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 09:23:15 AM »
He died a hero.  He died a martyr.  An epitaph that any can be proud of.   May he rest in peace and his family and loved ones find comfort. 

For what cause exactly?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 09:55:09 AM »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 09:57:45 AM »
For what cause exactly?

All of the freedoms that we enjoy and that ISIS hates us for.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 10:52:01 AM »
For what cause exactly?

How about we do something crazy and stay on topic for once.   Make this about honoring Mr. Foley and not degenerating into something else.    If you must, start another thread.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
The truth!

Thing is, those followers of ISIS, etc, believe what they are doing is every bit as noble and anyone dying for their cause...is a martyr, as well. 

Crazy world

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »
Thing is, those followers of ISIS, etc, believe what they are doing is every bit as noble and anyone dying for their cause...is a martyr, as well. 

And if you're consistent in what you preach we have no right to look down on their opinions or criticize their deeply held religious beliefs. I (and most others) differ. Call me judgemental - I'll wear that mantle proudly and let you stick up for the maniacs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »
For what cause exactly?

"Martyr" is a very strong word, and the first definition in most dictionaries ties it to someone killed for his/her religious beliefs.

Mr. Foley obviously was there for a cause he considered just, and he was seeking the truth despite great risks. In my mind, he showed great courage and died a hero.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 12:04:04 PM »
All of the freedoms that we enjoy and that ISIS hates us for.

But that's not what he wrote about.  He covered the people caught in the middle of conflict.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 12:14:47 PM »
Marquette grad Ben Tracy was doing a report on remembering Foley this morning on CBS. 

I saw that too.  As awful as this story is, it was nice seeing one MU alum reporting on the tragic death of another.  He mentioned their Marquette connection and that Foley credited his Jesuit education as a source of his values.  It made me proud to be an alum.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 12:23:47 PM »
Was Jim a hero?  He was not in the service.  He was not a police officer.  He was not a firefighter.  He wasn't even an IRC volunteer.  He was a journalist.  But unlike the sensationalist, fear-mongering, click-view generating, newspaper-selling "journalists" we encounter stateside on a daily basis, Jim was from the old-school of journalism, doing what reporters are supposed to do -- eliminate ignorance and expose truth.  I am positive that Jim made a difference for good.  But does that make him a hero?

Did Jim save someone's life?  Did he feed the hungered masses?  Did he mule a truckload of refugees out of a war zone?  Did he so much as even rescue a cat from a tree?

"Hero" is a title that can always be debated.  But one point that cannot be argued is that Jim followed his higher calling, and knowingly did so at the potential expense of his own life.  How many of us at one time considered the Peace Corps or missionary work and opted not to simply out of convenience or the luxuries we enjoy at home?  We have all had similar callings at some point in our life, but the vast majority of those calls go unanswered.  For answering his, Jim deserves respect.  But does respect alone make you a hero?

Those of you who have seen the stills, the transcript, what did you see?  You saw the facial expressions of a proud American, defiant to his captors, reading a statement contrary to his own purported beliefs.  It was   Ask yourself this: if death is imminent, would you give in?  If you've stood for principle your entire life, would you abandon that principle in your last moments?  A true martyr does not forsake his cause because he fears death.

So why did Jim give in?  Certainly, he was not the one who feared death.  Certainly, he was intelligent enough to understand the ramifications of his final words.  Certainly, he was not trying to protect himself.  Time will tell, but stepping back from the emotion of what happened - though admittedly difficult to do - allows a person to see that Jim was very likely protecting someone else.  Who, how and why will hopefully be answered in time, but Jim lived his life knowing that this was the fate he may someday face, and to allege that he selfishly, futilely relinquished at the hands of his captors defies every bit of logic that remains after a senseless act such as this.  When his call was coming to an end, do you really think he just hung up the phone, or perhaps, did he surreptitiously pass the receiver to someone else?

Again, whether Jim lived as a hero can be debated.  But let's withhold complete judgement for the time being, because it's quite probable that in death, he is... if not to you, personally, at least to someone who is now able to carry forward Jim's spirit because of the sacrifice he made.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 12:41:49 PM »
Thoughtful and insightful. Thanks, Benny.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2014, 12:57:04 PM »
And if you're consistent in what you preach we have no right to look down on their opinions or criticize their deeply held religious beliefs. I (and most others) differ. Call me judgemental - I'll wear that mantle proudly and let you stick up for the maniacs.

That's why I didn't criticize it.  I said it's a crazy world.  I work with a number of Muslims, took a number of Islam courses at MU and KU as part of my minor and Masters degree.  Some wonderful people.  Unfortunately, religious fanaticism from any group, any religion can lead to some behaviors that others don't agree with.  I'm not going to paint all of them with a broad brush.  The act, itself, is heinous in my opinion and based on my upbringing, which I'm told is WASCish.  My point was, others in this world will find their actions acceptable.  Thus, it is a crazy world.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »
That's why I didn't criticize it.  I said it's a crazy world.  I work with a number of Muslims, took a number of Islam courses at MU and KU as part of my minor and Masters degree.  Some wonderful people.  Unfortunately, religious fanaticism from any group, any religion can lead to some behaviors that others don't agree with.  I'm not going to paint all of them with a broad brush.  The act, itself, is heinous in my opinion and based on my upbringing, which I'm told is WASCish.  My point was, others in this world will find their actions acceptable.  Thus, it is a crazy world.

Yes, some in the world consider beheadings, rape and enslavement in the name of religion to be acceptable and who are we to judge. What a crock.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2014, 01:02:47 PM »
How about we do something crazy and stay on topic for once.   Make this about honoring Mr. Foley and not degenerating into something else.    If you must, start another thread.

Uh, I did stay on topic. You wrote he died a martyr. I asked what cause you consider him to be a martyr for in his death.

I understand you're defensive, likely as a result of not knowing who or what you are in life, but not every question need be construed as some sort of vault opening you perceive to be a slight either to you or someone who has a nebulous connection to you. It was just a question.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »

Thanks for referencing my term chics
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2014, 03:39:41 PM »
I just saw a story that the Pope called Jim Foley's family today to express his condolences.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 04:25:26 PM »
I just saw a story that the Pope called Jim Foley's family today to express his condolences.

Cool Pope keeps doing it big!

Not a Catholic but I'm a big fan of Pope Francis' work thus far.  Dude gets it.  Little things help.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 04:31:05 PM »

I f*cking LOVE Pope Francis.

That guy is amazing.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2022, 05:58:36 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/14/politics/isis-beatle-convicted-on-all-counts/index.html

It looks like his last killer has now been convicted. Did not know this guy was involved in Foley's murder. I thought that news was worth the bump.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2022, 11:23:37 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/14/politics/isis-beatle-convicted-on-all-counts/index.html

It looks like his last killer has now been convicted. Did not know this guy was involved in Foley's murder. I thought that news was worth the bump.

Thanks for this I  was not even aware he was still out there

feedback