[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Just saw this tweet RE MU Alum James Wright Foley  (Read 16148 times)

NoCheese

• Scholarship Player
Just saw this tweet RE MU Alum James Wright Foley
« on: August 19, 2014, 03:54:01 PM »
Very sad if true

Retweeted by Josh Marshall
 Jared Keller ‏@jaredbkeller  8m
Jesus Christ MT @BNONews: Islamic State, in video, beheads American journalist James Wright Foley who was kidnapped in 2012

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Just saw this tweet RE MU Alum James Wright Foley
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 04:04:26 PM »
It appears to be true. Sickening.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:06:47 PM »
There is incomprehensive evil in this world

RIP

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:26:31 PM »
RIP

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Sad to come to Scoop and see this news.  Jimmy was a classmate and friend. The nicest guy you would ever want to meet.  RIP Jimmy.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:06:06 PM »
unbelievable!!  well, i guess not but come on man.  these people(isis) will come for us if they are not stopped.  james foley-rip. and praying for peace to the family and friends :(
don't...don't don't don't don't

brandx

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »
unbelievable!!  well, i guess not but come on man.  these people(isis) will come for us if they are not stopped.  james foley-rip. and praying for peace to the family and friends :(

Praying for the family.

Incidently, they didn't "come for him". As a journalist, he knew full well the risk he was taking going into an area like that. Everyone likes to bash the media, but he is a great example of a fine man doing a very tough, demanding job. Many journalists die each year and we all owe them a debt of gratitude for the courageous work that they do.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 07:34:19 PM »
barbaric.   RIP Foley.   May the Lord be with you.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 07:49:48 PM »
Sickening. Foley was an astonishingly brave person willing to take incomprehensible risks in view of his principles. I'm proud to have gone to his alma mater. Rest in peace.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 07:55:40 PM »
talking about james foley on o'reilly show hosted by eric bollig.  just showed a replay of o'reilly's interview with foley back in may 2011.  what an experience.  getting away once would be good for me, but to go back for more? i realize he knew what he was getting into, but wtf?  it's not like he was doing missionary work.  does anyone know who published his stuff?  he was freelance

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 08:05:15 PM »
and now the megan kelly show

DarkWarrior

• Starter
James Foley
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 08:28:56 PM »
The independent news reporter James Foley who was beheaded by ISIS today as I understand it had attended Marquette University (As well as Northwestern).

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: James Foley
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »
RIP
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: James Foley
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 09:04:55 PM »
http://fox6now.com/2014/08/19/report-james-foley-marquette-university-alum-killed/

James Foley, journalist and Marquette University alum, beheaded by ISIS

MILWAUKEE (WITI/CNN) — A video released by ISIS shows the beheading of U.S. journalist and Marquette University alum James Foley and threatens the life of another American if President Barack Obama doesn’t end military operations in Iraq.

In the video posted Tuesday on YouTube, Foley is seen kneeling next to a man dressed in black. He reads a message, presumably scripted by his captors, that his “real killer” is America.

“I wish I had more time. I wish I could have the hope for freedom to see my family once again,” Foley can be heard saying in the video.

He is then shown being beheaded.

The National Security Council is aware of the video.

“The intelligence community is working as quickly as possible to determine its authenticity. If genuine, we are appalled by the brutal murder of an innocent American journalist and we express our deepest condolences to his family and friends. We will provide more information when it is available,” NSC spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said.

Foley was held captive in 2011 while reporting on the civil way in Libya. He lived to tell about it. In fact, he returned to the Marquette University campus to speak about his experience.

Foley returned to the Middle Easy to cover an uprising in Syria. On Thanksgiving Day 2012, he disappeared near the border with Turkey. He was reportedly forced into a vehicle by gunmen; he was not heard from again.

Once again, Marquette held a vigil for the family; one his parent attended.

“This is so very different, last time, within three weeks, we knew he was alive, where he was, who had him, we knew he was well,” said John Foley, James’ father.

“Because this one is much longer with such little information, it’s much more difficult,” said Diane Foley, James’ mother.

On Tuesday evening, the Facebook group set up to support Foley and his family, “Free James Foley,” posted a statement from Diane Foley. It read as follows:

We have never been prouder of our son Jim. He gave his life trying to expose the world to the suffering of the Syrian people.

We implore the kidnappers to spare the lives of the remaining hostages. Like Jim, they are innocents. They have no control over American government policy in Iraq, Syria or anywhere in the world.

We thank Jim for all the joy he gave us. He was an extraordinary son, brother, journalist and person. Please respect our privacy in the days ahead as we mourn and cherish Jim.

The video also shows another American journalist. His life is said by the militants in the video to hang in the balance, depending on what Obama does next.

The journalist is believed to be Steven Sotloff, who was kidnapped at the Syria-Turkey border in 2013. Sotloff is a contributor to Time and Foreign Policy magazines.

As a freelancer, Foley picked up work for a number of major media outlets, including Agence France-Presse and GlobalPost.

“On behalf of John and Diane Foley, and also GlobalPost, we deeply appreciate all of the messages of sympathy and support that have poured in since the news of Jim’s possible execution first broke,” Philip Balboni, GlobalPost CEO and co-founder, said in a published statement.

“We have been informed that the FBI is in the process of evaluating the video posted by the Islamic State to determine if it is authentic. Until we have that determination, we will not be in a position to make any further statement. We ask for your prayers for Jim and his family.”

Foley had previously been taken captive in Libya. He was detained there in April 2011 along with three other reporters and released six weeks later.

Afterward, he said that what saddened him most was knowing that he was causing his family to worry.

Foley grew up in New Hampshire and graduated from Northwestern University’s Medill School of Journalism in 2008. Like other young journalists who came of age after the September 11 terror attacks and American wars overseas, Foley was drawn to Iraq, Afghanistan and other areas of conflict.

Friends described Foley as fair, curious and impressively even-tempered.

“Everybody, everywhere, takes a liking to Jim as soon as they meet him,” journalist Clare Morgana Gillis wrote in a blog post about him in May 2013, six months after he disappeared in Syria.

“Men like him for his good humor and tendency to address everyone as ‘bro’ or ‘homie’ or ‘dude’ after the first handshake. Women like him for his broad smile, broad shoulders, and because, well, women just like him.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »
So effen sad.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 10:00:47 PM »
I was already finding this hard to process when I saw the headline, then it hit me that it was the same person I had seen posted about here. Sickening. Really really sad.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 10:02:41 PM »
RIP, Foley and may peace fill his parents' hearts.

No easy solution to the powder keg and mess that is the Middle East.
SS Marquette

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
A Patriot dies for Freedom...in this case World Freedom. Here is to Life, Liberty and to the Pursuit of Happiness that Mr. Foley stood up for time and again.  Justice will be served. Thank you for those who serve, whether in a uniform or with a microphone. As Gandhi said, in the history of the world, good always wins over evil.  

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 12:15:51 AM »
Not trying to trivialize this terrible event ... a scoop lurker (reads often but never posts) says that Foley was a poster here several years ago.  Same person also said that John Teff (MU '71), the current ambassador to Russia, also posted here.

Mike_Marquette

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 12:28:19 AM »
I knew Jim Foley at Marquette. He was an incredible person. This is beyond sad or tragic. Jim believed in all the good things that Marquette tries to instill like faith, service to others, and loving other people. He wanted to spend his days spreading the truth about oppressed people, which is how he was first kidnapped in Syria. How he ended up in the hands of Islamic revolutionaries is a story that will be told in time, I guess.

But today we saw pure evil. First in the hands of his murderers and then by the callous voyeurs who used a good man's death as entertainment. It was all heart wrenching and sad.

To bring this around to Marquette, Jim loved Marquette and Marquette basketball. He was a big MU fan and a big Celtics fan in the NBA. I don't know if he posted here, but it would not have surprised me. Big hoops fan and overall an incredibly intelligent guy. To know Foley was to love him.

I know this is just text on a message board, but believe me when I say he was a really great guy. More than just a footnote in a news story by a million miles. Everyone was his friend.

Please say a prayer for him and his family. Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 07:49:48 AM »
I knew Jim Foley at Marquette. He was an incredible person. This is beyond sad or tragic. Jim believed in all the good things that Marquette tries to instill like faith, service to others, and loving other people. He wanted to spend his days spreading the truth about oppressed people, which is how he was first kidnapped in Syria. How he ended up in the hands of Islamic revolutionaries is a story that will be told in time, I guess.

But today we saw pure evil. First in the hands of his murderers and then by the callous voyeurs who used a good man's death as entertainment. It was all heart wrenching and sad.

To bring this around to Marquette, Jim loved Marquette and Marquette basketball. He was a big MU fan and a big Celtics fan in the NBA. I don't know if he posted here, but it would not have surprised me. Big hoops fan and overall an incredibly intelligent guy. To know Foley was to love him.

I know this is just text on a message board, but believe me when I say he was a really great guy. More than just a footnote in a news story by a million miles. Everyone was his friend.

+1000.  Couldn't say it any better Mike.  Thanks for adding some additional background on Jimmy.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 08:46:29 AM »

This is beautiful, thank you for sharing your kind words.  Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam indeed.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »
My daughter was a freshman when James was a "super senior". She didn't really know him but they had close friends in common. They are all devastated. Mix poverty, ignorance and testosterone with religious fanaticism and the results can be beyond brutal.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 10:43:27 AM »
I'm sure Marquette will do something to officially honor his memory. The Marquette community already has.

edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:47:49 AM by lawwarrior12 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 12:20:14 PM »
He died a hero.  He died a martyr.  An epitaph that any can be proud of.   May he rest in peace and his family and loved ones find comfort. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.