'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: SI.com article on Steve  (Read 10221 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: SI.com article on Steve
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 04:07:59 PM »
How much Luke Fischer have you watched since his departure from IU last year? My guess is none.

I got my heads up from the same folks that said Mayo wouldn't be on the team this year.....several months in advance of him not coming back.

My guess is they qualify for greater than "none"...I trust my sources.  He's going to be a good player, but he has a bit of a ways to go, most big men do.

ATVSandKARATE

• Scholarship Player
  • Deflections!
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »
Some of you are overvaluing Fischer at this stage in his career.  He has work to do.  He'll be a nice, solid add, but he has some strides he needs to make that he hasn't yet.
Perhaps they are, but I believe that Deonte and Duane will be a force to be reckoned with. Once conference starts, they will be extremely comfortable with the ways Coach Steve runs things. Them Double D's will be bouncing all over the court.

Also, this has nothing to do with the thread, but when I picture Deonte training this offseason, he is doing one arm pullups while texting with his other hand. We are going to be ok.
I have been thinking about you a lot since last weekend. A whole lot.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 04:35:43 PM »
when I picture Deonte training this offseason, he is doing one arm pullups while texting with his other hand. We are going to be ok.

MU should shoot that as a promo video. Hilarious.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »
Perhaps they are, but I believe that Deonte and Duane will be a force to be reckoned with. Once conference starts, they will be extremely comfortable with the ways Coach Steve runs things. Them Double D's will be bouncing all over the court.

Also, this has nothing to do with the thread, but when I picture Deonte training this offseason, he is doing one arm pullups while texting with his other hand. We are going to be ok.

I'm excited about this year.  Too many people, however, do the same thing here every year.  So and so got huge over the Summer. So and so is taking 10,000 shots every 30 minutes.  So and so's defense has improved so much.   The thing is, most kids should improve, and most kids do, but the eyes get a little big (as saucers) with some of the reports and what actually translates onto the court.  There are exceptions, of course, but typically it is a process and takes time.

Luke is a Sophomore with only 1 semester of play under his belt, and that was against lower DI competition for the most part.  Love the kids upside and work ethic.  Think he is going to be a solid Warrior, same for some of the kids you mentioned.  Think we will be young and inexperienced, which will lead to some frustrating basketball, some mindblowing basketball (both good and bad) and some greatness at times. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 05:07:41 PM »
I'm sure that this quote got Ners very excited, then bummed when he realized it wasn't true:

"...the lone experienced returnee is Deonte Burton."
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »
I'm excited about this year too because I am looking forward to watching the progression and growth from early to late in the year.  I am not expecting anything greater than the NIT however.  Too many hopes that too many players make huge leaps. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »
I just hope we have some guys that can just put the ball in the basket from mid range on a consistent basis for a change. That should help open up the inside and maybe Steve Taylor can get some good offensive rebounds and put them in. One can dream.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 07:10:41 PM »
I'm excited about this year too because I am looking forward to watching the progression and growth from early to late in the year.  I am not expecting anything greater than the NIT however.  Too many hopes that too many players make huge leaps. 

Considering all that was lost as the article points out...to make the NIT would be amazing....given that Buzz's most experienced team in his 6 years couldn't even qualify last season.   :D

I definitely think we'll make the NIT....and the NCAA would not surprise me...but losing Mayo really hurt.  Still counting on big things from Deonte...and look forward to seeing what Duane, Dawson and JJJ can do now that they all should get some reasonable playing time.  The potential is certainly there for the team to surprise...add in Luke and Steve Taylor too.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 07:15:26 PM »
I thought it was going to be with Steve Taylor Jr.

Gotta admit ... when I saw the headline I thought the exact same thing ... and wondered why in the world Seth Davis would be writing about SJT!

If Seth Davis wanted to write an article about Teve, then he would've wrote an article about Teve, not Steve!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »
How much Luke Fischer have you watched since his departure from IU last year? My guess is none.

It's not a matter of watching Fischer. It's a matter of being logical.

He wasn't a force at Indiana. He is in a new program with a brand new coaching staff. He enters with great expectations because of our lack of height.

It is logical to assume there will be a breaking-in period, perhaps a long one.

I hope he'll step right in and be a stud, and maybe he will be, but it is prudent and logical to be cautiously optimistic rather than have oversized expectations.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 10:48:33 PM »

He wasn't a force at Indiana. He is in a new program with a brand new coaching staff. He enters with great expectations because of our lack of height.

I hope he'll step right in and be a stud, and maybe he will be, but it is prudent and logical to be cautiously optimistic rather than have oversized expectations.

I was more just ribbing chicos but yeah, obviously the hope is he is beast right out of the gate but that's unlikely. One thing I know - he'll get his looks.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 11:10:27 PM »

I agree with your cautious optimism.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 11:36:02 PM »
"Our fan base and our program have a lot of pride. They tend to remember things."

I take this as clear proof Wojo follows Scoop closely.

Clearly referring to the 2006 CBE Championship.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »
Seth Davis does realize we went 9-9 in conf last year, right?  We weren't THAT bad.  I mean Wojo isn't taking over DePaul or even Seton Hall or the most recent edition of Butler.

And yes, while we lost production from that team, some would call that addition by subtraction and that team gave a lot of fans fits because of the talent sitting on the bench.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 10:35:22 AM »
Seth Davis does realize we went 9-9 in conf last year, right?  We weren't THAT bad.  I mean Wojo isn't taking over DePaul or even Seton Hall or the most recent edition of Butler.

And yes, while we lost production from that team, some would call that addition by subtraction and that team gave a lot of fans fits because of the talent sitting on the bench.

7 NCAA tournament wins in the last 4 years. A 2nd place and a championship in the best conference ever over the last 3 years. 7 RSCI top 100 players on the current roster. Moribund program? Major rebuild? No, just a Dookie (Seth Davis) setting the bar as low as possible for another Dookie. You could have seen this one coming from miles away.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2014, 10:48:24 AM »
7 NCAA tournament wins in the last 4 years. A 2nd place and a championship in the best conference ever over the last 3 years. 7 RSCI top 100 players on the current roster. Moribund program? Major rebuild? No, just a Dookie (Seth Davis) setting the bar as low as possible for another Dookie. You could have seen this one coming from miles away.

I love the low expectations!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t9SVhg6ZENw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t9SVhg6ZENw</a>

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »

I will give him credit for saying that our acedmics are on par with Duke.
Bring back FFP!!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »
I will give him credit for saying that our acedmics are on par with Duke.

I'm gonna assume "acedemics" was on purpose and nominate you for post of the day.

ATVSandKARATE

• Scholarship Player
  • Deflections!
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 03:34:23 PM »
I don't think they'll make the tourney, but it will be fun to watch them grow. Trey J and STJ are going to be fun to watch (I hope) and if you have realistic standards for this team, it can still be a fun season. They'll upset some teams, they'll lose some games they shouldn't, and the young guys will develop.

Also, we won't have to hear about God after every game.
I have been thinking about you a lot since last weekend. A whole lot.

feedback