[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[April 19, 2024, 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 16543 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Questions
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 12:29:35 PM »
Excellent!  it's been months since Scoop has had a Chicago v. Milwaukee mutual rant.  and once we start that, you know a "why'd MU drop football/should MU start a football team" thread can't be far behind.

Congrats to Wojo for getting the lay of the land transportation wise.

Haha awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 12:36:11 PM »
Dinner at the Berghoff

For all you out-of-towners, it is with great regret that I must report that the Berghoff, ain't quite the Berghoff anymore.  From their website:

"On February 28, 2006, The Berghoff closed its doors after 107 years of service to Chicago residents and visitors.

"We share the sadness that many feel about the closing of the restaurant," said Herman Berghoff when the news was announced in December 2005. "It's been an honor to be part of the fabric of Chicago, but after being in the business for over a half century, Jan and I feel that now is the right time to start a new chapter in our lives."

Upon hearing the news, thousands flocked to the restaurant for one last taste of The Berghoff. Lines spilled out the door and all the way to Clark Street with longtime customers as well as many Chicagoans who were discovering The Berghoff for the first time.

And then on that final day, news cameras rolled as the Berghoff sign was turned off and the restaurant was closed.

But not for good.

Today, the lights glow brightly as the Berghoff Catering & Restaurant Group, the Loop's newest casual dining experience. Berghoff Catering & Restaurant Group has taken the best of the original, historic Berghoff bar and enhanced the environment, décor and created an expanded menu that includes many contemporary dishes that are sure to become future favorites."

In short, the restaurant is gone, and the bar space has been reconfigured into "the Loop's newest casual dining experience."
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 01:56:15 PM »
The trick is getting off at touhy, taking that to Lincoln.  Going any farther than touhy the highway is always backed up.  Or you could avoid like 90% of rush hour traffic by taking Waukegan road in.  I know this because 4/5 years of college I was dating Chicago girls and driving to see them was a pain. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 02:03:29 PM »
I saw the entire MU coaching staff arriving in Chicago on train.  Questions:
1)  What were they doing in Chicago?
2)  Are we that poor that the coaches have to take the train?
By the way, Diener still looks like a 20-year old kid in that gold Marquette shirt!

It's 90 miles from Milwaukee, and it basically goes from MU's campus to downtown Chicago in 90 minutes.

What would you prefer? A bus to Mitchell, a flight to O'Hare, and a 2 hour bus trip from O'Hare to downtown?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:05:50 PM by Bleuteaux »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »
If it doesn't work with your schedule.

There are trains from Milwaukee to Chicago literally every hour on the hour.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 02:09:18 PM »
For all you out-of-towners, it is with great regret that I must report that the Berghoff, ain't quite the Berghoff anymore.  From their website:

"On February 28, 2006, The Berghoff closed its doors after 107 years of service to Chicago residents and visitors.

"We share the sadness that many feel about the closing of the restaurant," said Herman Berghoff when the news was announced in December 2005. "It's been an honor to be part of the fabric of Chicago, but after being in the business for over a half century, Jan and I feel that now is the right time to start a new chapter in our lives."

Upon hearing the news, thousands flocked to the restaurant for one last taste of The Berghoff. Lines spilled out the door and all the way to Clark Street with longtime customers as well as many Chicagoans who were discovering The Berghoff for the first time.

And then on that final day, news cameras rolled as the Berghoff sign was turned off and the restaurant was closed.

But not for good.

Today, the lights glow brightly as the Berghoff Catering & Restaurant Group, the Loop's newest casual dining experience. Berghoff Catering & Restaurant Group has taken the best of the original, historic Berghoff bar and enhanced the environment, décor and created an expanded menu that includes many contemporary dishes that are sure to become future favorites."

In short, the restaurant is gone, and the bar space has been reconfigured into "the Loop's newest casual dining experience."

In the battle of closed, formerly great German restaurants, John Ernst Cafe crushes The Berghoff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GOO

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
It may not happen often in the US and especially in the midwest, but trains can be very efficient for certain routs.  From the website:

14 Trains Daily between Chicago and Milwaukee

Now you can take the Hiawatha Service to Milwaukee's General Mitchell International Airport. There are seven roundtrips a day (six on Sunday) so you can have an easy trip from downtown Milwaukee or the northern suburbs of Chicago to catch a train to your flight.

In a quick ninety-minute trip, you can be in the center of either city. Onboard, you can spread out your paperwork, open a book, or take a quick nap. Quiet Car available on all Hiawatha trains.

In Chicago, connect to over 500 other destinations across North America.

For current news and information on the Amtrak Hiawathas — including special promotions, schools on trains, and airport logistics, please visit amtrakhiawatha.com.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
It's 90 miles from Milwaukee, and it basically goes from MU's campus to downtown Chicago in 90 minutes.

What would you prefer? A bus to Mitchell, a flight to O'Hare, and a 2 hour bus trip from O'Hare to downtown?

Not trying to call you out but who in their right mind would take a bus from ohare when the el would get you there in 30min?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »
It may not happen often in the US and especially in the midwest, but trains can be very efficient for certain routs.  From the website:

14 Trains Daily between Chicago and Milwaukee

Now you can take the Hiawatha Service to Milwaukee's General Mitchell International Airport. There are seven roundtrips a day (six on Sunday) so you can have an easy trip from downtown Milwaukee or the northern suburbs of Chicago to catch a train to your flight.

In a quick ninety-minute trip, you can be in the center of either city. Onboard, you can spread out your paperwork, open a book, or take a quick nap. Quiet Car available on all Hiawatha trains.

In Chicago, connect to over 500 other destinations across North America.

For current news and information on the Amtrak Hiawathas — including special promotions, schools on trains, and airport logistics, please visit amtrakhiawatha.com.

Far and away the easiest way to get from DT Milwaukee to DT Chicago. I mean, it's not even close. Anybody who doesn't know that has either never taken the train or has never tried to drive one way or the other during the daytime/early evening.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »
Probably goin' to Mastro's and then to see Motown The Musical, hey?

Motown the Musical closed a couple of weeks ago.  I am glad because the tourists getting out of the matinees clog up my walk to the train.  Nothing going on there until Newsies in December.
Have some patience, FFS.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »
Imagine the panic if Wojo goes on a recruiting trip to Michigan and takes the Lake Express!
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 02:54:35 PM »
Not trying to call you out but who in their right mind would take a bus from ohare when the el would get you there in 30min?

Well our OP would be beside himself if the team took the El instead of a chartered bus.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2014, 02:54:50 PM »
I saw the entire MU coaching staff arriving in Chicago on train.  Questions:
1)  What were they doing in Chicago?
2)  Are we that poor that the coaches have to take the train?
By the way, Diener still looks like a 20-year old kid in that gold Marquette shirt!

I like the fact that they were all taking the train. It is a very comfortable easy ride and avoids all the traffic. The train station is any easy walk from Marquette and it lets off in Union Station. It is also very inexpensive . I take it all the time myself.

From a recruiting standpoint Wojo and Company can tell Chicago recruits it is an easy train ride away and that they take it themselves frequently. The more time in Chicago the better.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
I imagine that the idea of taking a train is not foreign to Wojo since he comes from the east coast. 

There are routes in the NE (Boston, Phili, NYC, DC) and California where Amtrak beats a car, in my opinion.  San Diego to LA/Anaheim is one of them.  Nice ride via train. 

NY going north or south, I'd rather be on Amtrak.

Chicago to Milwaukee as well.

Maybe San Fran to LA, but I don't know, as I've never taken it. 

I'm sure that there are other routes, but those are the only one's I can think of where I'd rather be taking the train than driving. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 03:29:38 PM »

Now you can take the Hiawatha Service...

Amtrak's adoption of a noble Mohawk Chief's name for commercial purposes is a grave insult to the Iroquois Confederacy. This is nothing more than a blatant trade on Longfellow's bastardized view of native life and a proud warrior's heritage.

Death on call

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »
I imagine that the idea of taking a train is not foreign to Wojo since he comes from the east coast. 

There are routes in the NE (Boston, Phili, NYC, DC) and California where Amtrak beats a car, in my opinion.  San Diego to LA/Anaheim is one of them.  Nice ride via train. 

NY going north or south, I'd rather be on Amtrak.

Chicago to Milwaukee as well.

Maybe San Fran to LA, but I don't know, as I've never taken it. 

I'm sure that there are other routes, but those are the only one's I can think of where I'd rather be taking the train than driving. 

When taking the train in the Boston to Washington DC corridor, most people are not taking Amtrak unless travelling between cities from Boston-New York or New York-Washington DC for example.  I take the train into New York City regularly on Metro North, the Connecticut & New York Commuter rail lines.  I've stayed at a relative's house in suburban Boston and taken the T in, the commuter rail line.  I've ridden the commuter rail in Philadelphia a couple times too.
I used to take Amtrak to DC, 20 years ago, but I usually drive know because the cost has gotten out of hand.  You can fly cheaper to DC than Amtrak.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
Motown the Musical closed a couple of weeks ago.  I am glad because the tourists getting out of the matinees clog up my walk to the train.  Nothing going on there until Newsies in December.

It was a great show though. Especially when you grew up with it cause that's what my dad would play when he dropped me off at school.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »
Amtrak's adoption of a noble Mohawk Chief's name for commercial purposes is a grave insult to the Iroquois Confederacy. This is nothing more than a blatant trade on Longfellow's bastardized view of native life and a proud warrior's heritage.

Phil Simms would never take this train

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2014, 04:12:26 PM »
Phil Simms would never take this train

hahahaha that's good. Well played
Bring back FFP!!!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2014, 05:48:55 AM »

But not for good.

I believe it's been reported that the original "closing" was all a ruse to get rid of unionized employees who'd been there for decades.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2014, 06:25:13 AM »
Berghoff brings back memories.....when I used to work at 30 N. Lasalle, we'd go down to the Berghoff on Fridays for Oysters and Anchor Steam.

Downtown Chicago used to be a great place for happy hour...many, many places used to serve all kinds of free food along with drink specials.  We would go over to Cardozo's, and eat free pizza, and swill many an evening after work.  Damn, that place used to have an awesome Rueben too.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2014, 07:42:58 AM »
Used to work in Sears Tower and lunched at Berghoff about once a month.  Had an intern from Germany one summer, he went to lunch there almost every day to combat his homesickness.  Loved the place.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2014, 08:05:48 AM »
Sauceda gave Willie the air too.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2014, 09:30:01 AM »

Marquette's basketball coaches on the el?  We'd have to start scheduling home and aways with Grambling and NJIT once that happened!

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »
I believe it's been reported that the original "closing" was all a ruse to get rid of unionized employees who'd been there for decades.

When I hear "ruse", I think of a scheme involving reopening with nonunionized employees later which I don't think happened.  It very well could have been that operating with unionized employees made the restaurant's profit margin too low to justify the owner's investment of time and cash.