'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: U 17 championship game thread  (Read 11290 times)

real chili 83

• All American
U 17 championship game thread
« on: August 16, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »
Just poured a glass of Woodford Reserve.  Looking forward to see Henry and Diamond bring home a trophy.

real chili 83

• All American
Re: U 17 championship game thread
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:11:37 PM »
Aussies have lots of traditionals.  ;)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:15:43 PM »
Aussies by 4 on some good shooting.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »
Nice put back by Stone

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 07:21:49 PM »
(Not gonna tell you the result, but the game was played earlier today  ;))
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »
(Not gonna tell you the result, but the game was played earlier today  ;))

They just fast forwarded through most of the first qtr.  missed their comeback.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:23:53 PM »
Seein' like its about 4:30 am in the Sandbox, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 07:25:04 PM »
Stone's lost his baby fat. Trainin' in The Quon must pay off, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 07:26:02 PM »
Nice touch at the ft line for stone

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »
Newman is tough

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »
Ellenson not a factor....at all.

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 09:21:02 PM »
It's pretty tough to be a factor if you really don't get minutes. Henry played nine minutes and those were all short stints. You can't really develop a rhythm if that's the case. He had a great experience, and hopefully we will see him wearing a Marquette uniform in the future. Being the part of a USA gold medal team is pretty special no matter what. Congratulations to Henry and the Ellenson family!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 10:53:40 PM »
Yes, most of his minutes were in the first half.

USA had some hot shooters.  Also, Stone neutralized their big scorer....he looked afraid to take the ball to the hoop against stone.  Probably also why Ellenson saw limited minutes.

Ellenson looks versatile...brought the ball up a few times.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 11:43:44 PM »
It's pretty tough to be a factor if you really don't get minutes. Henry played nine minutes and those were all short stints. You can't really develop a rhythm if that's the case. He had a great experience, and hopefully we will see him wearing a Marquette uniform in the future. Being the part of a USA gold medal team is pretty special no matter what. Congratulations to Henry and the Ellenson family!

According to many posters on scoop, short stints don't matter and are not an excuse. They claim you don't need to get into the flow of the game and should have a rhythm as soon as you enter.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 05:45:03 AM »
What--this has been Ners argument on Dawson, which was discounted by the Buzz/Derrick advocates. Either that is true, or it is not.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
According to many a handful of posters on scoop (who have never played the game at a decent level), short stints don't matter and are not an excuse. They claim you don't need to get into the flow of the game and should have a rhythm as soon as you enter.

Fixed.

hoops12 played at UW Plateville.  He understands.  As do most...even many of those who haven't played the game at a decent level - except the 5 Buzz blowhards last year who refused to acknowledge Buzz was awful, and refused to acknowledge Buzz had better options on the bench than those he started.  Thank God we won't be subjected to that crap again this year.  Last season went down for me as the most disappointing season in my 27 years of closely following MU hoops - even more disappointing than the 2003-2004 team missing the NCAA.

Bottom line is you can play a TON of very skilled guys for 3, 3 minute stints and they aren't going to show much in the way of production...just like Ellenson didn't in this game...and he's a consensus Top 10 recruit.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 09:09:23 AM »
While Ellenson was playing, there were other USA players that were hoti, especially Neman.  Newman got into a rhythm, and ended up with about 20 points int the first half.

If I recall correctly, Ellenson was first off the bench in the first half.  The U17 team looks to be very very deep in talent.  An outstanding class

One thing I noticed about Stone, he got beat on the baseline by his guy a couple of times.  Anomaly, or weakness?

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 11:40:56 AM »
What--this has been Ners argument on Dawson, which was discounted by the Buzz/Derrick advocates. Either that is true, or it is not.

You see Willie, there's these things called opinions.  Turns out anyone can have a different opinion, and those opinions can coexist on an internet forum without having to point out that there's opposing viewpoints on the forum.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 12:14:08 PM »
Fixed.

hoops12 played at UW Plateville.  He understands.  As do most...even many of those who haven't played the game at a decent level - except the 5 Buzz blowhards last year who refused to acknowledge Buzz was awful, and refused to acknowledge Buzz had better options on the bench than those he started.  Thank God we won't be subjected to that crap again this year.  Last season went down for me as the most disappointing season in my 27 years of closely following MU hoops - even more disappointing than the 2003-2004 team missing the NCAA.

Bottom line is you can play a TON of very skilled guys for 3, 3 minute stints and they aren't going to show much in the way of production...just like Ellenson didn't in this game...and he's a consensus Top 10 recruit.

You claim playing high school basketball qualifies you as an expert (I know guys who played past high school I wouldn't let coach a 4th grade girl's team, but that's another argument altogether) but if you really want to be one have someone explain John Pudner's numbers to you. While you were being seduced by your own "eye test" and the (as usual) wildly wrong predictions of a bunch of coaches, John was almost perfectly nailing last year's results with his Value Added system. You, the AP and the coaches drastically overrated our talent. He (and the numbers) didn't.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »
You see Willie, there's these things called opinions.  Turns out anyone can have a different opinion, and those opinions can coexist on an internet forum without having to point out that there's opposing viewpoints on the forum.
I get it now--everything here is an opinion. So, then all opinions have the same value without the irresponsible  name calling and arrogance that some exercise when they believe their opinion is more valuable than others. So I am sure that you do agree that the opinions should all co-exist, without any accompanying denigration. And of course, you can then police that also. It is clear now.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 01:35:21 PM »
I get it now--everything here is an opinion. So, then all opinions have the same value without the irresponsible  name calling and arrogance that some exercise when they believe their opinion is more valuable than others. So I am sure that you do agree that the opinions should all co-exist, without any accompanying denigration. And of course, you can then police that also. It is clear now.

Here's the thing about opinions, Willie - depending on their underpinnings they get more or less consideration. Want to argue about Derrick vs John, does a coach uses his time outs properly or whether one should vote for Romney or Obama, knock your socks off. Plenty of legit stuff on which to base your opinion and argue your point. When someone insists, though, that a suicide bomb is the fast track to heaven, that George W Bush ordered the strikes that brought down the towers or that our basketball coach purposely threw games I won't nod and concede that those statements are a matter of opinion, even though, technically at least, they are - because if a thing is crazy, it doesn't matter if it's also technically something else. Crazy trumps any other thing it might be. At least that's my opinion, LOL.

By the way, I'm not ascribing any of this craziness to you - I bring it up to make a point.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 01:37:24 PM »

So when you disagree with an opinion you can ask that person if they smoke a lot of pot, or call them "slurpy"/"low life bomb thrower", or sarcastically call someone the "all knowing guru", and that doesn't count as irresponsible name calling and arrogance?  Just making sure I've got this all figured out.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »
So when you disagree with an opinion you can ask that person if they smoke a lot of pot, or call them "slurpy"/"low life bomb thrower", or sarcastically call someone the "all knowing guru", and that doesn't count as irresponsible name calling and arrogance?  Just making sure I've got this all figured out.

Keep trying---you are the one that brought up internet forum protocol on opinions--I didn't. And I have previously addressed slurper. Bomb thrower came about when your boy Juwannaman called me stupid. Hey wait--they are all opinions on the internet so it is all OK. No, you do not have it figured out yet. And you are the one that was sarcastic. But it is OK--that is your opinion. All in the spirit of civil discourse.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »

Keep trying---you are the one that brought up internet forum protocol on opinions--I didn't. And I have previously addressed slurper. Bomb thrower came about when your boy Juwannaman called me stupid. Hey wait--they are all opinions on the internet so it is all OK. No, you do not have it figured out yet. And you are the one that was sarcastic. But it is OK--that is your opinion. All in the spirit of civil discourse.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brandx

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »

ENG, we CAN have nice things. Just put Willie on ignore.