'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New Scout Rankings  (Read 33717 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: New Scout Rankings
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2014, 11:45:06 AM »
The 3 cats who aren't matriculatin' cuz Bumstead wasn't wanted here no more don't bother me at all. For the record, I prefer Ellenson over Stone, anyway.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2014, 11:49:31 AM »
This was about a month and a half ago. So you can just cut the bs that you actually had a clue on this one. Wojo had made inroads with the ellensons well before this.

Yeah I have no clue.  All the stuff that I posted is, as you said, BS and I really am just taking complete shots in the dark.  Believe what you will.  I couldn't care less.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
The 3 cats who aren't matriculatin' cuz Bumstead wasn't wanted here no more don't bother me at all. For the record, I prefer Ellenson over Stone, anyway.

I'd prefer Stone, just because top-notch post players are so hard to find. But while Stone might only stay 1-2 years, Henry might be a 3-4 year guy.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »
I am thrilled with Wojo's recruiting to date. Better than I expected from a guy just a few months on the job. If he closes the deal on Henry and one of the other top-100s, it will have been a hell of a first class. Even if Henry goes elsewhere, I will remain confident that Wojo will put the program back on solid footing.
I agree with you. He has done very well so far and we are in the mix with lot's of quality players.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »
I'd prefer Stone, just because top-notch post players are so hard to find. But while Stone might only stay 1-2 years, Henry might be a 3-4 year guy.

Unless Henry has injury issues, ain't no way he's in college more than 2 years. He's doing things like leading the national team in scoring & rebounding while moving up in analysts' ratings.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2014, 12:08:08 PM »

The only one I care about is Hill. I think he has all the makings of a star. 2G scoring ability & athleticism together with PG handles and vision, topped off with what looks like a Crowder-type mentality all over the court. It would have been a phenomenal feat for Wojo to keep Hill in the fold though, he clearly wanted to play for Buzz no matter what if he was willing to follow to the high major dumpster that is VA Tech.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2014, 12:36:16 PM »
For the record, I prefer Ellenson over Stone, anyway.

Having seen both of them play, including once against each other, I'm with you.

And I swear this isn't any sort of sour grapes, but I have a feeling Stone won't be a 1-2 and done player. He's very good when he's fully switched on. I just haven't seen that enough yet from him.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »
Yeah I have no clue.  All the stuff that I posted is, as you said, BS and I really am just taking complete shots in the dark.  Believe what you will.  I couldn't care less.

I don't think you do have a clue. I feel like lots of posters feel like they have great connections/sources at MU and in the recruiting community. It makes them feel like they are more important and have all this inside info.They speak like they know what's going on behind the scenes. I have found that there are really 2 people with very good "insider" info on this board. The rest of the posters just know people who may or may not know anything, but mostly they are just speculating I feel. Wadesworld posts on June 3rd saying neither are coming...this might end up being true, but a lot of more connected people than him think we end up with Ellenson. Unless he had dinner at the Ellenson's on the 3rd and heard him say I'm 100% sure I'm not going to MU, he should stop passing his opinion off as a fact.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
Having seen both of them play, including once against each other, I'm with you.

And I swear this isn't any sort of sour grapes, but I have a feeling Stone won't be a 1-2 and done player. He's very good when he's fully switched on. I just haven't seen that enough yet from him.

I have no doubt whichever college coach gets the benefit of coaching him will have no problem bringing that out in him very quickly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2014, 12:48:21 PM »
I don't think you do have a clue. I feel like lots of posters feel like they have great connections/sources at MU and in the recruiting community. It makes them feel like they are more important and have all this inside info.They speak like they know what's going on behind the scenes. I have found that there are really 2 people with very good "insider" info on this board. The rest of the posters just know people who may or may not know anything, but mostly they are just speculating I feel. Wadesworld posts on June 3rd saying neither are coming...this might end up being true, but a lot of more connected people than him think we end up with Ellenson. Unless he had dinner at the Ellenson's on the 3rd and heard him say I'm 100% sure I'm not going to MU, he should stop passing his opinion off as a fact.

You had no problem going through my post history and finding that.  Feel free to continue on in your search and see what I have said I feel "fairly confident" about.  I'll let you decide whether or not it's a bunch of BS and I just happened to get lucky.  You'll believe what you want.

By the way, June 3rd was more than "about a month and a half ago."  Maybe my math is off though.  Things change in the recruiting world, especially shortly following a coaching change.  Again, I may be wrong about that and if Ellenson was never coming here when Buzz was here maybe in the recruiting world that means Ellenson would never come here with Wojo here.  I have changed my opinion on Ellenson based on what I have heard, and that is due to Buzz being gone and Wojo being here.  So no, I am not saying Ellenson is not coming.  I had been saying that, but Wojo has done a lot of work to change that.  Stone, however, is not, and has never been, coming to Marquette.

What do I know though?  I just throw out "BS" and see what sticks.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2014, 01:01:14 PM »
You had no problem going through my post history and finding that.  Feel free to continue on in your search and see what I have said I feel "fairly confident" about.  I'll let you decide whether or not it's a bunch of BS and I just happened to get lucky.  You'll believe what you want.

By the way, June 3rd was more than "about a month and a half ago."  Maybe my math is off though.  Things change in the recruiting world, especially shortly following a coaching change.  Again, I may be wrong about that and if Ellenson was never coming here when Buzz was here maybe in the recruiting world that means Ellenson would never come here with Wojo here.  I have changed my opinion on Ellenson based on what I have heard, and that is due to Buzz being gone and Wojo being here.  So no, I am not saying Ellenson is not coming.  I had been saying that, but Wojo has done a lot of work to change that.  Stone, however, is not, and has never been, coming to Marquette.

What do I know though?  I just throw out "BS" and see what sticks.

I didn't look through your post history, it was put up right on this thread. Buzz went to VATech on March 21st. Two and a half months is not very shortly after a coaching change. You made your statement on June 3rd that we weren't getting either. Recruiting is a very fluid situation and that's why when you say things like we are getting neither, it looks like you are throwing out BS, especially when it looks to be that there is a high likelihood you will be wrong. When you change your mind to now we have a chance, it proves your statement on June 3rd was BS. Things change, don't be so quick to pass things off as fact.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2014, 01:11:07 PM »
I didn't look through your post history, it was put up right on this thread. Buzz went to VATech on March 21st. Two and a half months is not very shortly after a coaching change. You made your statement on June 3rd that we weren't getting either. Recruiting is a very fluid situation and that's why when you say things like we are getting neither, it looks like you are throwing out BS, especially when it looks to be that there is a high likelihood you will be wrong. When you change your mind to now we have a chance, it proves your statement on June 3rd was BS. Things change, don't be so quick to pass things off as fact.

2 months (Wojo hired April 1, June 3 post) isn't shortly after a coaching change? Wow, okay. We'll just agree to disagree there.

Again, if you think I spew BS that's fine. Believe what you will. Doesn't make a difference to me. I'll continue to share what I feel is necessary and you can continue to think I don't know anything.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »

His statement on June 3rd may end up being innaccurate.  But that doesn't mean it was BS given the information at the time.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »

His statement on June 3rd may end up being innaccurate.  But that doesn't mean it was BS given the information at the time.

To say he is not coming here gives off the impression he is going elsewhere. Don't you think a statement like "it appears we are not currently in the running" is a more logical statement? When you pass off info like it is a fact, it really doesn't leave much wiggle room for your statement to change. To me it was his opinion and he was passing it off as factual. Clearly it has proven to be untrue, as we are now the likely favorite to land his services. I understand things change, that's why it is stupid to throw out such statements.

brandx

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
Unless Henry has injury issues, ain't no way he's in college more than 2 years. He's doing things like leading the national team in scoring & rebounding while moving up in analysts' ratings.

We'll see.

Right now, Stone's game (low post scorer/passer and rebounder) is more settled and advanced than Henry's game (probably a swing '4' at this point). He also has a more NBA ready body.

Henry's game is more versatile and two years is a long time, so I agree it is entirely possible that Henry may be ready in two years for the NBA, but we has a lot of work to do.

But he definitely is not a '3' in the NBA, so he still has work to be able play on a daily basis against big, strong guys.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2014, 01:34:56 PM »

Except he is not leading the national team in scoring or rebounding.

http://archive.usab.com/misc/14_mu17_usa.pdf

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »

Except he is not leading the national team in scoring or rebounding.

http://archive.usab.com/misc/14_mu17_usa.pdf

Thanks for sharing that link Sultan.  The one things I do like there with Henry is seeing how productive he has been in the minutes he is playing.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2014, 02:10:35 PM »
We'll see.

Right now, Stone's game (low post scorer/passer and rebounder) is more settled and advanced than Henry's game (probably a swing '4' at this point). He also has a more NBA ready body.

Henry's game is more versatile and two years is a long time, so I agree it is entirely possible that Henry may be ready in two years for the NBA, but we has a lot of work to do.

But he definitely is not a '3' in the NBA, so he still has work to be able play on a daily basis against big, strong guys.

I get what you're saying re: playing style. But look at just the last few years of RSCI top 10 guys. The vast majority went pro in 1 or 2 years. If the Scout ranking is any indication of his final RSCI rating, it would be an upset if he stays longer than 2.

https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2013-final

https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2012-final

https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2011-final

Henry has made a name for himself not just on the AAU scene but on the international scene as well. With his height, athleticism, and versatility, NBA GMs will be calling sooner rather than later.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2014, 02:12:40 PM »
If Henry comes to Marquette, my guess is that he plays here for two years with his brother...and then leaves.  (I hope he is that good.)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing that link Sultan.  The one things I do like there with Henry is seeing how productive he has been in the minutes he is playing.

Yep, he's averaging ~half the minutes as Stone but only 2 ppg less. And I am not knocking Stone one bit. Henry is playing at an elite level right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »
To say he is not coming here gives off the impression he is going elsewhere. Don't you think a statement like "it appears we are not currently in the running" is a more logical statement? When you pass off info like it is a fact, it really doesn't leave much wiggle room for your statement to change. To me it was his opinion and he was passing it off as factual. Clearly it has proven to be untrue, as we are now the likely favorite to land his services. I understand things change, that's why it is stupid to throw out such statements.

I also get frustrated when people pass off opinions as facts (see posts earlier in this thread) but wades rarely makes statements without some sort of insider knowledge to back it up. If I recall correctly he was the one who first posted about mayo leaving and about Buzz exiting stage left. He has proven that he knows what he's talking about. His delivery could use some work but it is not bs
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brandx

« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »
I get what you're saying re: playing style. But look at just the last few years of RSCI top 10 guys. The vast majority went pro in 1 or 2 years. If the Scout ranking is any indication of his final RSCI rating, it would be an upset if he stays longer than 2.

https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2013-final

https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2012-final

https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2011-final

Henry has made a name for himself not just on the AAU scene but on the international scene as well. With his height, athleticism, and versatility, NBA GMs will be calling sooner rather than later.

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you. I just don't think there are many legitimate 1-and-dones in this class. I saw where a scout from one NBA team said there is just one in the '15 class.

Henry has earned his ranking this year, but my guess is that he would have been around #20 in either of the last two years. Looney was in the 10-15 range and I would rate him above Ellenson.

But this isn't a knock at him. Ellenson's the one guy i am really hoping for at MU.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2014, 03:46:56 PM »
I was referring to today's game

http://archive.usab.com/mens/u17/14_mu17_game_05_box.html

That was yesterday's game.

In today's game Henry had 0 pts on 0/3 FG in 9 minutes.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2014, 03:51:06 PM »
I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you. I just don't think there are many legitimate 1-and-dones in this class. I saw where a scout from one NBA team said there is just one in the '15 class.

Henry has earned his ranking this year, but my guess is that he would have been around #20 in either of the last two years. Looney was in the 10-15 range and I would rate him above Ellenson.

But this isn't a knock at him. Ellenson's the one guy i am really hoping for at MU.

Totally reasonable