[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The thing you will miss most about Brent?  (Read 16239 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: The thing you will miss most about Brent?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »
Glad to see a doubling in Marquette's presence in Aggie territory.

There is a surprising amount of warriors in aggieland. A group of us band together to watch the warriors come out to play while downing some Shiners and sharing some brisket.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »
There is a lot I will miss but one thing that comes to mind are the crazy outfits. People showed up to game just to see what Brent's stylist (aka himself) had chosen that day

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 09:48:05 AM »
His dress sense was the male Tejas equivalent of an aging Benny Boythai hooker on Soi Cowboy - tacky and designed only to draw attention.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:50:53 AM by keefe »

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 09:48:52 AM »
Country roads. Doubt we'll see any of that from wojo.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 10:32:15 AM »
For me it has to be this:

Walking thru ORD and then ATL on the way to Florida for Easter break in 2013 seeing Jamil and Davonte plastered on the front page of USA Today.  My 5 year, so excited to see a pic of Davonte (Dad its the big guy!), while we were all the way down in Georgia.

Winning in March trumps all in CBB, because unfortunately, the sport has been reduced to a 4 week sport in the nation's eyes.  Buzz showed up when it counted.

I also cried like a baby after we beat St John's to clinch a tie of the Big East Regular Season Title.  Sure it was just a tie and sure it's not even really the Conf Title (the BET settles that) but to see MU at the top of the mountain (even with company) of the Nation's best conference was an amazing, amazing moment.  I'll never, ever forget that one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 10:34:11 AM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2014, 10:42:36 AM »
For me it has to be this:

Walking thru ORD and then ATL on the way to Florida for Easter break in 2013 seeing Jamil and Davonte plastered on the front page of USA Today.  My 5 year, so excited to see a pic of Davonte (Dad its the big guy!), while we were all the way down in Georgia.

Winning in March trumps all in CBB, because unfortunately, the sport has been reduced to a 4 week sport in the nation's eyes.  Buzz showed up when it counted.

I also cried like a baby after we beat St John's to clinch a tie of the Big East Regular Season Title.  Sure it was just a tie and sure it's not even really the Conf Title (the BET settles that) but to see MU at the top of the mountain (even with company) of the Nation's best conference was an amazing, amazing moment.  I'll never, ever forget that one.
I would disagree, conference tourney titles simply determine the auto bid to the NCAAs.  Regular season determines the true champ in most folks minds. 

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2014, 10:50:54 AM »
I'm not discounting his five good years on the basketball court, because I do appreciate those, but really the only thing I will miss is Buzz's Bunch.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »
I will will Bart's tender embrace. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2014, 11:16:20 AM »
I will will Bart's tender embrace. 

like this?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:17 AM »
Taking the chains off of Wesley, the midgets making the tourney, JUCOs Jimmy, Jae and DJO, back to back 14 win Big East seasons, the dance after DJO's tip dunk, Buzz's Bunch, the Big East regular season championship, "The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker...", as many NCAA tournament wins as our five previous coaches combined, the dance in Morgantown, "Throw a good pitch", positive articles about Buzz/MU in the national press, back to back to back S16,S16, E8, the program gaining a status not seen in 40 years.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »
His dress sense was the male equivalent of an aging thai hooker on Soi Cowboy - tacky and designed only to draw attention.

Disagree. Dude knew his stuff. Was rocking Ferragamos on court at one point.
We Are Marquette

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
The excitement about the state of Marquette basketball and the real belief that we might actually compete for a National Championship with him at the helm.

I am excited to see Wojo build off of that excitement and the stature of the program under Buzz.

As an aside, I think the petty, sarcastic remarks in response to this thread are tired. We all now know the guy was a fraud, but anyone who discounts the success Marquette enjoyed while Buzz was at the helm, one sole year notwithstanding, is letting emotion cloud rationality.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2014, 12:21:06 PM »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 12:25:06 PM »

Anyone with money can buy expensive clothing. The labels don't matter much if you don't know how to wear them. I often thought he looked like a polished turd in his four figure outfits.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 12:44:01 PM »

Commons

The guy put Vibram soles on Gucci loafers. C'mon...

Death on call

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »
The excitement about the state of Marquette basketball and the real belief that we might actually compete for a National Championship with him at the helm.

I am excited to see Wojo build off of that excitement and the stature of the program under Buzz.

As an aside, I think the petty, sarcastic remarks in response to this thread are tired. We all now know the guy was a fraud, but anyone who discounts the success Marquette enjoyed while Buzz was at the helm, one sole year notwithstanding, is letting emotion cloud rationality.

Speaking of emotion clouding rationality, you actually felt MU was or would be soon competing for a National Championship?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »
The donuts and burgers he'd give those of us who'd camp out for the UW and ND games... Of course I'm not a student anymore so I guess I'd miss those whether or not he was still coaching
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
Speaking of emotion clouding rationality, you actually felt MU was or would be soon competing for a National Championship?

He coached them to an Elite 8 after back to back S16s, won a conference title, and had put together a solid group of recruiting classes.

Why not?

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »

Back to back sweet 16's and then an elite 8. You can't get to much closer?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2014, 02:39:59 PM »

He coached them to an Elite 8 after back to back S16s, won a conference title, and had put together a solid group of recruiting classes.

Why not?

Before last season started it was not unreasonable to think that 3 top 60 players plus the addition of Diamond Stone could compete for a title, given Buzzard's previous three campaigns.  Remember it wasn't too long ago that Deonte was thought of "behind" Duane and JJJ. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

chapman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »
Exceeding preseason expectations becoming the norm.  Also a flaw, since he had no idea how to win as a favorite.  But it was fun a few years being picked near the bottom or middle and finishing middle or top.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2014, 04:14:02 PM »

Why not?

Because reaching an Elite Eight is a mile from a Final Four, as Florida has shown the last four seasons. And reaching a National Championship game is a mile from just making a Final Four, as we showed wonderfully in 2003. And winning a National Title is a mile away from playing in a Title contest as Butler calmly showed in successive seasons. Otherwise, you have a lot of "if" this and "maybe" that.

There's always hope I guess but a strong and stable program that sprinkles a random E8 amongst a few S16s with a once a decade conference title isn't remotely close to a National Title contender in my life.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:18:05 PM by Golden Avalanche »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »
Back to back sweet 16's and then an elite 8. You can't get to much closer?

Actually, you can get a lot closer.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 04:51:12 PM »
Because reaching an Elite Eight is a mile from a Final Four, as Florida has shown the last four seasons. And reaching a National Championship game is a mile from just making a Final Four, as we showed wonderfully in 2003. And winning a National Title is a mile away from playing in a Title contest as Butler calmly showed in successive seasons. Otherwise, you have a lot of "if" this and "maybe" that.

There's always hope I guess but a strong and stable program that sprinkles a random E8 amongst a few S16s with a once a decade conference title isn't remotely close to a National Title contender in my life.

Actually, Butler's campus is a few miles away from where they played for the national championship.

Look for IUPUI to be in the national championship game this year... they're only 3,600' from the championship game.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2014, 04:59:10 PM »

Reaching an Elite 8 isn't "a mile" from a Final 4.  It is one game.  Half the teams that make the E8 get to the Final Four.  (duh)

And MUCam said "contending" for a national title.  I would argue that being in a Final Four is contending for a national title.