[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Alabama A&M At The Al....  (Read 11280 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Alabama A&M At The Al....
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »
Does our fanbase ever not complain about something?

You should read Scoop more often.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »

No students and right before Christmas and a crap opponent?   I commend MU for putting some high-grade lipstick on this pig of a game.

+1

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »

No students and right before Christmas and a crap opponent?   I commend MU for putting some high-grade lipstick on this pig of a game.

tapping into the obvious fan desire to see mens bball games at the Al by putting a game there that couldn't have been played at the BMO and then re-charging your fan base for it is not putting lipstick on anything, the Al was their only choice, they didnt do anything creative or value added -

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
Well they can't offer the game to season ticket holders because there are more season ticket holders than there are seats at the AL right? So instead you do what's fair and put them all up for sale. I don't see what's wrong with that.... Aren't season ticket holders already getting a defacto free game this year anyway with the exhibition? (17th game)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 01:36:00 PM by mujivitz06 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2014, 01:38:24 PM »

The better question is does any fan base ever not complain about something. I've worked at four different universities, across four different conferences, including one in D2. All fans do is complain. Myself included
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 01:39:49 PM »
Then don't schedule the game. They already have the number of BC dates they need revenue wise, and this game will be a RPI drag.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2014, 01:41:38 PM »
Then don't schedule the game. They already have the number of BC dates they need revenue wise, and this game will be a RPI drag.

They were a game short.  A coach is always going to want something scheduled, even if it is with a poor opponent.

Maybe they were working on something "better," and this was the fall back.  Who knows?

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »
Well they can't offer the game to season ticket holders because there are more season ticket holders than there are seats at the AL right? So instead you do what's fair and put them all up for sale. I don't see what's wrong with that.... Aren't season ticket holders already getting a defacto free game this year anyway with the exhibition? (17th game)

Exactly.  And as mentioned before, the amount of home games from last year has not decreased, so season ticket holders this year really are not missing anything.

I think the appropriate way to look at this is its an additional game AL seats less than there are ticket holders.  It would take forever to go through based on points and decide who wants to go and who doesn't.  Sell the tickets and bring in some extra $.  Should be a fun environment, cupcake or not.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »
MU has just made lemonade out of a lemon of a game. Instead of a boring, student-less, homogenized, non-conf game, there should at least be some spark over at the Al. I'll give the school credit for doing this.

It will at least amp up the MU fans that go, that's for sure. Will seem like a high school gym compared to the BC.

Only downside, no alcohol. Oh well. Even I can dry out for one night a year.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 02:01:25 PM »
There is no negative in having a game this year at the Al with an inferior opponent.  For one, our team will be young and (mostly) inexperienced.  Giving them a cupcake to boost their confidence is very advantageous.  Secondly, I don't care if Marquette was playing UCLA in late December.  Students go home for break, and there is simply not enough season ticket holders/die hards to get a near sell-out crowd for the game at the Bradley Center. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »

Then they wouldn't be fans, they'd be cheerleaders.   8-)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »
This sounds like a great idea and a way to turn a blah game into a mini-event.

I wish I could go!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 03:16:46 PM »
Any guesses on how far down the points totem pole tix will get?

I have 93 points.  I'll certainly grab 2 if they're available. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 03:18:38 PM »
I love that we might be able to watch a real men's game at the AL, love it!  Just saying that those giving MU credit for this decision are missing the point, there was a scheduling conflict removing BMO from consideration.  So this whole at least they're spicing up an otherwise boring game is not applicable, IMO.  

They COULD HAVE EASILY distributed these tickets for free.  They are already making them AVAIL FOR PURCHASE along the priority point lines (read the email), instead of making you pay, you'd just have to log in at your time slot and select 1 or 2 tickets.  Just as "fair" and without the bad taste of charging your fan base for a game that should have already been included

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »
Or, abandon the caste system for one freaking game, and just have this game go on sale to STH at one time.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
They COULD HAVE EASILY distributed these tickets for free.  They are already making them AVAIL FOR PURCHASE along the priority point lines (read the email), instead of making you pay, you'd just have to log in at your time slot and select 1 or 2 tickets.  Just as "fair" and without the bad taste of charging your fan base for a game that should have already been included

No students, no alcohol, and going by points?  So much for the smaller venue being louder.  Just more blue-haired.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »
Or, abandon the caste system for one freaking game, and just have this game go on sale to STH at one time.

I'll you one thing!  If I'm the STH of the Game, I want a re-do.  I want my day in the sun in front of 14,000 indifferent BMO BC fans, not a paltry 3,700 AMC fans!

An outrage!!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »
Awesome.  I have been hoping they would do something like this for a long time.  When you only get 5,000 at the BC for a no-name, weekday, winter non-conference game, you might as well put it in the Al and have it be packed rather than 5,000 people dispersed amongst 18,000 seats.

I agree, but doesn't Marquette have like 11,000 season ticket holders? You going to cover the revenue from ticket sales? Would only be 200K...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 04:17:58 PM »
I agree, but doesn't Marquette have like 11,000 season ticket holders? You going to cover the revenue from ticket sales? Would only be 200K...

probably about what they are paying Alabama A&M?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »
probably about what they are paying Alabama A&M?

The way we slum on buy games, probably about $200.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 05:23:04 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but based on my understanding of what has been posted above, the revenue from those season ticket holders are already had.  The amount the season tickets cost would be unaffected whether this game was on the schedule or not.

The revenue this game has to cover are those that would be buying single-game tickets at the Bradley Center. 

Having the game at the AL allows revenue to be covered by both single-game ticket buyers as well as season ticket holders who still want to go to the game at the AL.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 07:09:54 PM »
Love playing a game in the al. Hate that it's Alabama A&M

What quality of opponent were you expecting for a game at the Al?  ?-(

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:29 PM »
What quality of opponent were you expecting for a game at the Al?  ?-(

Expecting? About this. But was hoping for a mid major that at least had a prayer of being a sub 300 RPI team.

Hoping? Would love to see a marquis game at the Al. I know it can't happen because judging on the reaction to missing this game, season ticket holders would throw a fit. But I think the atmosphere would be amazing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »

+100, this is a stupid idea.  What is the upside exactly?  None.  You changed the venue for a bad non-conference game, period.  

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 07:29:09 PM »
Expecting? About this. But was hoping for a mid major that at least had a prayer of being a sub 300 RPI team.

Hoping? Would love to see a marquis game at the Al. I know it can't happen because judging on the reaction to missing this game, season ticket holders would throw a fit. But I think the atmosphere would be amazing.

A marquee game at the Al?  Why?  Because MU has plenty of money from their one major athletic revenue generator, they can afford to flush revenue from a marquee game down the toilet?  Not to mention screwing some 16,000 fans from the chance of seeing that marquee opponent?

This is a bad idea if it were a mid-major, let alone a marquee team.

The atmosphere is plenty good at the BC when we've been good and played good teams.  We don't have to dream about a great Al atmosphere.