2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:52:10 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by willie warrior
[Today at 12:45:02 PM]

MU Gear by Hards Alumni
[Today at 12:18:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 162902 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #350 on: December 07, 2016, 05:58:42 AM »
pardon my "where did i miss it",  but what does BGE stand for?  i may have to get one of those bad boys

Big Green Egg?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #351 on: December 07, 2016, 08:08:31 AM »
Si

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #352 on: December 07, 2016, 10:26:24 AM »
Sorry to throw water on smokers but smokers, like sugar,  likely increase various cancer risks considerably. I am not a doctor but I am a two time cancer surviver with considerable first hand knowledge on the subject.

True almost anything has some risk and yes we are all going to die from something but cancer is a horrible way to go. I have seen far too many fall to this disease.

I assume you're referring to HCA's, which only manifest at high temperatures, and PAH's, which are produced from incomplete combustion.  What this thread is generally about is smoking, i.e. slow-cooking at temps below 250 degF, the flesh of tasty animals well below temps required for the formation of HCA's.  So HCA's are more of a concern for those on the grilling forum where temps do hit 500+ degF.  But that's not us.

However, slow cooking with hardwood typically entails incomplete combustion which will lead to the presence of PAH's in the cooking chamber.  Now, most of us aren't smoldering the wood the entire time... typically, there's a big burst of smoke at the beginning, but once things warm up, combustion becomes much more efficient and PAH levels drop.  PAH's are lipophilic (can't penetrate fat) and therefore have great difficulty penetrating the majority of tasty animal flesh cuts most choose to smoke, especially bacon, which is basically one big lump of fat.  Hence, I also coat my non-bacon meats with some sort of oil or fat (like bacon or belly drippings).  You can also minimize PAH's by not putting meats in the chamber until the fire reaches a steady temp and making sure your fuel source is well seasoned (i.e. dry).

The science around HCAs and PAHs isn't as dicey as some of the other purported links between cancer and smoked/grilled meats, but it is still far from proven science.  Nevertheless, it is certainly good advice to enjoy everything in moderation. 

Except bacon, of course.  You can pig out on that stuff.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #353 on: December 07, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »
What he said.  ^^^

Let's eat!!!

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #354 on: December 07, 2016, 07:15:55 PM »
benny beat me to it...huh?  i was holding my breath until the end though-phew, cuz i am very carnivorous and smoked lipophilic animal parts are pretty tasty

oh yeah, and BGE-i knew there was an egg in there, but you sure it ain't called a BFE ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #355 on: December 08, 2016, 05:02:05 PM »
patient of mine used to own a meat/butcher shop, etc...they used to make all their own sausage, brats, andouille, hams...he told me about these vacuum tumblers.  said kosh industries or something like that, up in minnesota is a big provider, manufacturer of all kinds of these.  from industrial to smaller versions.  supposed to make a nice piece of meat, tenderizing, marinating, giving one the ability to get the smoke to penetrate the meat deeper??  anyone heard or used such a device?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #356 on: December 08, 2016, 05:36:01 PM »
patient of mine used to own a meat/butcher shop, etc...they used to make all their own sausage, brats, andouille, hams...he told me about these vacuum tumblers.  said kosh industries or something like that, up in minnesota is a big provider, manufacturer of all kinds of these.  from industrial to smaller versions.  supposed to make a nice piece of meat, tenderizing, marinating, giving one the ability to get the smoke to penetrate the meat deeper??  anyone heard or used such a device?

You might want to ping Saint Paul Warrior.  He's well connected and active in the Mn BBQ society, and a master KCBS judge.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #357 on: December 08, 2016, 06:58:44 PM »
You might want to ping Saint Paul Warrior.  He's well connected and active in the Mn BBQ society, and a master KCBS judge.

thanks for the info.  i don't think i'm quite ready to talk smokin with the "grand pooba" of the minnesota bbq scene. i'm probably still in the "weenies on a stick" level compared to him. i'm going to do some research so i might have half a clue first.  i was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with one, but thanks chili dog 8-)

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #358 on: December 10, 2016, 03:12:41 AM »
 Which got me wondering, what auger do you guys use for ice fishing?   Check it out on Google, its even more interesting than smokers.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #359 on: December 28, 2016, 07:02:24 PM »
Thanks Rocket for sharing some links on electric smokers,  I got one for Xmas and broke it into today with a 7lb bone in pork shoulder (divided into two pieces to help speed up cooking). 

Tried a few new techniques this time around,  namely cooking much lower than I usually do,  namely about 225* with hickory chips every hour for 6 hours,  then another 3 hours in the oven,  this time uncovered with no wrapping to keep the bark. Then in a paper bag to rest for an hour. 

Worked like a charm,  firm thick bark,  meat was still very juicy,  and pulled very easily,  but a little firmer than usual for me,  as I usually wrapped the meat to help build steam and speed up the cook.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #360 on: December 28, 2016, 07:19:33 PM »
Thanks Rocket for sharing some links on electric smokers,  I got one for Xmas and broke it into today with a 7lb bone in pork shoulder (divided into two pieces to help speed up cooking). 

Tried a few new techniques this time around,  namely cooking much lower than I usually do,  namely about 225* with hickory chips every hour for 6 hours,  then another 3 hours in the oven,  this time uncovered with no wrapping to keep the bark. Then in a paper bag to rest for an hour. 

Worked like a charm,  firm thick bark,  meat was still very juicy,  and pulled very easily,  but a little firmer than usual for me,  as I usually wrapped the meat to help build steam and speed up the cook.

glad i could help.  225 is a great low n slow temp.

i made a 8 lb. beef brisket(chopped garlic, cracked pepper and lawrys the night before) and an 8 lb. pork shoulder(secret chili/cumin/cayenne rub over night) for my family Christmas party on the 17th (mom n dad go south on the 24th until april) i started both of them at about 7 a.m. wrapped the beefer in parchment paper at about noon put back into smoker and continued to cook both at about 195-200 until 5 p.m.  i thought i'd have plenty of leftovers to take to the office on monday...nope.  the shoulder, surprisingly was the most popular though. both were incredible!

i usually back off the chips after the first 4-5 hours, keep the vents closed and the only time i opened the door was to remove and wrap the beef. 

next on the menu-smoked porchetta

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #361 on: January 20, 2017, 06:48:23 PM »
Oh baby, I.  Got what I need.

It's soak, fry and smoke night at the B house.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
I have been operating under the assumption that meat(I assume any/most meats) won't absorb any more smoke after about an hour or so. Any truth to that?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #363 on: January 20, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »
That's directionally correct.  Wet meat (easy never) will reject smoke sooner.  Dry meat on the surface will absorb more. I keep smoke going throughout the 8-12 horse for a brisket....doesn't hurt. 

SPW, do you want to weigh in here?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #364 on: January 21, 2017, 12:26:30 AM »
That's directionally correct.  Wet meat (easy never) will reject smoke sooner.  Dry meat on the surface will absorb more. I keep smoke going throughout the 8-12 horse for a brisket....doesn't hurt. 

SPW, do you want to weigh in here?

This where I've been talking to a former meat Einstein. The vacuum tumbler helps introduce the smoke and seasonings in deeper by a combo of pressure and osmosis.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #365 on: January 21, 2017, 07:42:38 AM »
What vacuum tumbler?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #366 on: January 25, 2017, 11:04:57 PM »
What vacuum tumbler?

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier chili.  I've got a guy who used to have his own butcher shop, meat market.  He used to make a lot of stuff-sausage, hams, etc...he's going to be dropping off a book for me on the evolution of sausage making, meat preservation...he mentioned to me a specific brand of vacuum meat tumbler that I believe is made up around your area-kosh industries or something like that.  Anywho, I just googled vacuum tumbles and found this-

https://www.waltonsinc.com/equipment/vacuum-tumblers

After I see his book, I will relay the best info I can gather

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #367 on: January 25, 2017, 11:29:03 PM »
Just scanned that waltons(everything but the meat) web site-wow!  Check out the smoking and grilling section-like a kid in a candy store

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #368 on: January 26, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »
Ugh... marinades. 

This is the smoke thread, rocket... not the let's-see-what-other-inventions-Ron-Popeil-has-to-offer-for-the-lazy-soccer-mom-who-doesn't-want-to-learn-to-cook-for-her-husband-who-would-rather-eat-at-McDonald's.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #369 on: January 26, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »
Might give this a shot this weekend...making burnt ends with a chuck roast.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smoking/comments/5q35r9/decided_to_make_some_burnt_ends_with_a_chuck/

reddit.com/r/smoking is a great resource too

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #370 on: January 26, 2017, 11:17:49 AM »
Thanks for the post reinko - for hippy-dippy reasons, I don't really do pork (I know, I know) so beef and bird ideas for the smoker are at a premium.  If you don't mind, report back on how it goes this weekend and any tips because that looks my super bowl go-to.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2017, 03:03:41 PM »
thanks for the info.  i don't think i'm quite ready to talk smokin with the "grand pooba" of the minnesota bbq scene. i'm probably still in the "weenies on a stick" level compared to him. i'm going to do some research so i might have half a clue first.  i was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with one, but thanks chili dog 8-)

Let's not get carried away here with grand pooba talk.  I am just a cog in the wheel with the MN BBQ Society.  Have been a judge for many years with KCBS.  Usually smoking some type of meat every other weekend or so.  I am not too familiar with the difference between wet mean and dry meat.  I do know many cooks argue about wet wood vs dry wood.  Those last 2 sentences sure sound awkward.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #372 on: January 26, 2017, 03:15:26 PM »
Knot ewhen a nanosecond ta tink 'bout it, wet wood is definitely better, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #373 on: January 26, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »
Let's not get carried away here with grand pooba talk.  I am just a cog in the wheel with the MN BBQ Society.  Have been a judge for many years with KCBS.  Usually smoking some type of meat every other weekend or so.  I am not too familiar with the difference between wet mean and dry meat.  I do know many cooks argue about wet wood vs dry wood.  Those last 2 sentences sure sound awkward.

What's awkward is that in a discussion of wet vs. dry (which is all about temperature), you left out the part about cooks arguing over how long their probe should be and which hole it goes into.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #374 on: January 26, 2017, 08:33:01 PM »
Smoker will be going full tilt on super bowl Sunday. Brisket, shoulder, ribs.  Meat coma.