[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 162941 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #325 on: November 06, 2016, 09:37:16 PM »
Home made bacon for the tailgater at Lambeau today.

Nice!  My FIL makes his own bacon and its fantastic... I just think its a little salty for my taste.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #326 on: November 07, 2016, 10:35:09 AM »
The thing I like most about homemade bacon... the fact that it's water content is much lower than packaged bacon makes it easy to separate a few strips while it's still frozen, for those mornings when you need want some bacon but don't quite want need a full pound.  Just slam the frozen, pre-sliced slab against the countertop, peel off what you need, and throw the rest back in the freezer.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #327 on: November 07, 2016, 01:13:09 PM »
The thing I like most about homemade bacon... the fact that it's water content is much lower than packaged bacon makes it easy to separate a few strips while it's still frozen, for those mornings when you need want some bacon but don't quite want need a full pound.  Just slam the frozen, pre-sliced slab against the countertop, peel off what you need, and throw the rest back in the freezer.

Or don't freeze it in the first place.  Unless you only eat bacon like once a month, it won't go bad in the fridge.

And if you only eat bacon once a month, what is wrong with you?
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #328 on: November 07, 2016, 08:16:35 PM »
Or don't freeze it in the first place.  Unless you only eat bacon like once a month, it won't go bad in the fridge.

And if you only eat bacon once a month, what is wrong with you?

Some of us who still have three kids in the house full time simply don't have space in the fridge for 10+ lbs of bacon, chick.

And if you're buying less than 10 lbs. of bacon at a time, for shame.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #329 on: December 03, 2016, 07:00:31 PM »
A quick question if someone wouldn't mind answering.

If someone is just going to be smoking a few times a year (mostly pheasant) and has never used a smoker, is it worth getting a BGE? Not necessarily cost being the biggest factor but ease of use, etc.

Figured one of you all would be able to give insight.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #330 on: December 04, 2016, 10:43:57 AM »
If that's all you are using it for, I'd get an electric smoker.

The egg is terrific, and fairly easy to use.  You can get very precise with an egg if you buy accessories to control airflow and temperature.  The downsize to an egg is its size and cost.

If you plan to use the egg for grilling and smoking, it's tough to beat.  If you are using it to smoke infrequently, go with the electric smoker.  Super simple to use.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #331 on: December 04, 2016, 10:48:57 AM »
If that's all you are using it for, I'd get an electric smoker.

The egg is terrific, and fairly easy to use.  You can get very precise with an egg if you buy accessories to control airflow and temperature.  The downsize to an egg is its size and cost.

If you plan to use the egg a lot for grilling and smoking, it's tough to beat.  If you are using it to smoke infrequently, go with the electric smoker.  Super simple to use.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #332 on: December 04, 2016, 11:27:01 AM »
If you can afford it and the accessories, get the Egg.

You'll find yourself using it for damn near everything

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #333 on: December 04, 2016, 04:11:36 PM »
Thanks guys. Any good recs for a electric smoker. Maybe starting with that and if end up using a ton will shell out the $ for an egg later on.

TIA

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #334 on: December 05, 2016, 08:16:55 AM »
Thanks guys. Any good recs for a electric smoker. Maybe starting with that and if end up using a ton will shell out the $ for an egg later on.

TIA

Mine is a Materbuilt.  You can get the base model for $150.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #335 on: December 05, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »
For a once-or-twice-a-year?  Get the cheapest box you can from Menards when they go on sale (which happens to be RIGHT NOW).  $70 is a small price to pay in order to gauge whether this is something you'd consider as a weekend and holiday obsession hobby.

Otherwise, you're not going to find a world of difference with electrics until you hit the $250+ price point, and frankly, if you're going to spend that kind of money, you should really endeavor for justifying an egg or a barrel/firebox smoker.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #336 on: December 05, 2016, 12:58:56 PM »
Benny, what do you use?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #337 on: December 05, 2016, 10:49:13 PM »
CharGriller Pro with side box and seasoned cherry, exclusively.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #338 on: December 06, 2016, 05:29:07 AM »
don't...don't don't don't don't

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #339 on: December 06, 2016, 05:47:15 AM »
37,000 views since the beginning of August, what the hell are you people talking about?
I  have never opened the thread, I  thought it would go away peacefully, die of its owne accord, but no, it lives on and grows like the blob.
14 pages that I have never read,  I  wonder if I  went to the wrong University.  I must be on another planet, so much interest in "smokers".  What a world it must be living in Wisconsin these days, pontoon boats and smokers, oh boy.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #340 on: December 06, 2016, 06:27:46 AM »
37,000 views since the beginning of August, what the hell are you people talking about?
I  have never opened the thread, I  thought it would go away peacefully, die of its owne accord, but no, it lives on and grows like the blob.
14 pages that I have never read,  I  wonder if I  went to the wrong University.  I must be on another planet, so much interest in "smokers".  What a world it must be living in Wisconsin these days, pontoon boats and smokers, oh boy.

Thanks for stopping by.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #341 on: December 06, 2016, 06:59:14 AM »
Thanks for stopping by.

Any time, my pleasure, just had Italian smoked wild bore salami, not my thing, wife loved it, there are hillybillies everywhere and not just in Texas and Virginia.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #342 on: December 06, 2016, 07:30:02 AM »
great advice from the "real" master-the masterbuilts are super easy to use, especially for starting out and inexpensive.  also check out their website.

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070210-30-Inch-Electric-Analog/dp/B0034VXAY0/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1481022994&sr=1-2&keywords=masterbuilt+electric+smoker

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910-30-Inch-Electric-Controller/dp/B00104WRCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1481022994&sr=1-1&keywords=masterbuilt+electric+smoker
       this is the one that i've had for 3-4 years.  next one will be the bluetooth

and then they have a portable for $99-

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20073716-Portable-Electric-Smoker/dp/B01FJVSX30/ref=sr_1_8?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1481022994&sr=1-8&keywords=masterbuilt+electric+smoker

and last but not least-an electric "egg-like" for $82

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20078616-Electric-Bullet-Smoker/dp/B01FJVSWFY/ref=sr_1_12?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1481022994&sr=1-12&keywords=masterbuilt+electric+smoker

these prices are probably a little better than gander mountain or company direct.

Rocket, I have never smoked on an electric smoker before, what are your overall thoughts?  I am looking for something to just make it easier/cleaner, thus being able to do it more often, without sacrificing too much flavor. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #343 on: December 06, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »

Any time, my pleasure, just had Italian smoked wild bore salami, not my thing, wife loved it, there are hillybillies everywhere and not just in Texas and Virginia.

Comical.

Besides the fact that - other than rocket about whom I am not sure - the top contributors to this thread are living in Illinois, Minnesota and Washington.... that someone would essentially equate his wife to a hillybilly (which in this case amounts to vociferous resentment of his own wife, be it deliberate or subconscious) on a public forum has to be a new level of achievement for smoked meats.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #344 on: December 06, 2016, 04:40:02 PM »
Sorry to throw water on smokers but smokers, like sugar,  likely increase various cancer risks considerably. I am not a doctor but I am a two time cancer surviver with considerable first hand knowledge on the subject.

True almost anything has some risk and yes we are all going to die from something but cancer is a horrible way to go. I have seen far too many fall to this disease. 
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

reinko

• All American
« Reply #345 on: December 06, 2016, 06:03:26 PM »
Sorry to throw water on smokers but smokers, like sugar,  likely increase various cancer risks considerably. I am not a doctor but I am a two time cancer surviver with considerable first hand knowledge on the subject.

True almost anything has some risk and yes we are all going to die from something but cancer is a horrible way to go. I have seen far too many fall to this disease.

You can get cancer from meat? Thought I just had to worry about heart disease and high cholesterol.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #346 on: December 06, 2016, 06:27:51 PM »
Rocket, I have never smoked on an electric smoker before, what are your overall thoughts?  I am looking for something to just make it easier/cleaner, thus being able to do it more often, without sacrificing too much flavor.

the "smokin purists" probably cringe, but i love the electric because i can control the temperature like an oven.  if your want to make cleaning easier, tin foil, tin foil and more tin foil.  also, spray down anything not tin foiled with pam or some other spray oil.  and, clean it more often. 

as for the flavor, chili could probably tell you more about that, but it still burns the wood of your choice. i haven't had many people turn down a good piece of smoked meat(or fish). i think it's like people who still believe the charcoal grill is the only way to go. doing a pork shoulder or belly and beef brisket for Christmas.

i love the side loader, as most decent smokers have, so you don't have to open the doors to add chips.

this may be somewhat biased as i've never used anything but an electric, but i believe they do a nice job
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 06:33:12 PM by rocket surgeon »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #347 on: December 06, 2016, 10:00:19 PM »
Comical.

Besides the fact that - other than rocket about whom I am not sure - the top contributors to this thread are living in Illinois, Minnesota and Washington.... that someone would essentially equate his wife to a hillybilly (which in this case amounts to vociferous resentment of his own wife, be it deliberate or subconscious) on a public forum has to be a new level of achievement for smoked meats.

Sorry for mixing thoughts, hillbilly reference is to my man, Buzz. (Texas and Wisconsin)   BTW, great book on the subject of hillbillies is HILLBILLY ELEGY by J.D. Vance

I like absurd comedy, most scoopers take life very literally and seriously, the whole smoker debate is total absurdity and therefore hilarious, unless we take it seriously.

In Italy the smoked wild-bore salami is highly regarded, giving another perspective on sophisticated Italians and sophisticated hillbillies.  I know, probably way too complicated.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #348 on: December 07, 2016, 02:26:04 AM »
the "smokin purists" probably cringe, but i love the electric because i can control the temperature like an oven.  if your want to make cleaning easier, tin foil, tin foil and more tin foil.  also, spray down anything not tin foiled with pam or some other spray oil.  and, clean it more often. 

as for the flavor, chili could probably tell you more about that, but it still burns the wood of your choice. i haven't had many people turn down a good piece of smoked meat(or fish). i think it's like people who still believe the charcoal grill is the only way to go. doing a pork shoulder or belly and beef brisket for Christmas.

i love the side loader, as most decent smokers have, so you don't have to open the doors to add chips.

this may be somewhat biased as i've never used anything but an electric, but i believe they do a nice job

I love my electric smoker.  Simple to use, very easy to control temps, and great flavor. 

A BGE is super intriguing.  With the right accessories, it is incredibly versatile as a smoker, grill, and oven.  You can dial down the temps to cold smoking (I use for bacon), or dial it us to 600+ degrees for killer steaks. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #349 on: December 07, 2016, 04:42:57 AM »
I love my electric smoker.  Simple to use, very easy to control temps, and great flavor. 

A BGE is super intriguing.  With the right accessories, it is incredibly versatile as a smoker, grill, and oven.  You can dial down the temps to cold smoking (I use for bacon), or dial it us to 600+ degrees for killer steaks.

pardon my "where did i miss it",  but what does BGE stand for?  i may have to get one of those bad boys