[Today at 02:47:50 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by MUbiz
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Point guard or big by Jockey
[Today at 11:37:56 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:25:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 162741 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2016, 05:55:08 PM »
After I'm done brining, it goes on the smoker for an hour or so at 150.

Then it's back in the fridge for a day to firm up for slicing. 

I use the thinnest kitchen knife I have, it's a Wusthof 5" boning knife.  I end up with slices equivalent to thick cut commercial bacon....good stuff.

Once I slice it, I throw it in a pan with cold water for just a few minutes.  That's all it takes to get rid of the extra saltiness. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #301 on: August 30, 2016, 08:52:05 AM »
Anyone ever trying dry aging a steak @ home?  Seen a few videos where ya need mini fridge, a mini fan for air circulation, some salt, and patience.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #302 on: August 30, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
Anyone ever trying dry aging a steak @ home?  Seen a few videos where ya need mini fridge, a mini fan for air circulation, some salt, and patience.

Once with mixed results... it was good, but not otherworldly. 

The biggest DIY mistake has to be dry-aging a steak that's already been wet-aged to "maturity."  If you're going to dry-age at home, the best thing to do is to buy directly from the slaughterhouse or a specialty butcher who will sell you a fresh, subprimal cut*.   If this isn't possible, the next best thing would be to chat up the meat manager at Sam's or Costco to find out on which days they get their shipments and what the typical time frame is from slaughter-to-store.  Maybe they'll be able to set something aside for you or special order something... it will likely already be packaged to wet-age, but the sooner you can get it out of the bag and into your fridge, the better.

* Don't bother dry aging individual steaks... it's a waste of money.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #303 on: August 30, 2016, 02:45:19 PM »
I forgot to post the picture with my post from last night, so once I get it up here, you'll see that my belly is essentially in a brine solution as it is.

Out of curiosity, how thick do you slice and and how long do you rinse to make a meaningful difference?  I'm not up on the chemistry of swine fat, but I would think the osmotic action necessary to draw out the salt would take more than a simple pass through running water.  Nevertheless, this is why I do the fry test after pulling it out of the bags, and instead of having to rinse 80-100 slices of bacon, I'll soak it in cold water before it hits the smoker fry testing and soaking again if necessary until it hits the desired level of saltiness.

Cold soak, rinsing; tomato, tomahto.... both function to remove salt.

However, there's one major advantage to soaking instead of rinsing: I'm not reintroducing water to the bacon after smoking, which, being much more familiar with microbiology than swine physiology, will shorten the shelf-life of the bacon (because those self-lusting, single-cell bugs both hate salt and love moisture).  Creating a more hospitable medium for bacteria isn't an issue if you freeze or fry right away, but since smoke creates a hydrophobic barrier that essentially "locks in" the salt... so if the bacon is too salty after smoking (which draws out more moisture, thus concentrating the flavors from the earlier fry test and making it even saltier) - depending on how far the smoke permeates - rinsing may not even be an option at that point.

All this is not to say dry curing is better; brining is a perfectly fine method.  Just like dry-aging vs. wet-aging beef... method aside, in the end, you still have something that's going to mix with a little fire to put a smile on your face (and a party in your tummy).

love the scientific/biologic thought process here-now you're talkin my lingo.  i had a minor in microbiology and i didn't know this stuff 8-)  can't argue with chili's time-tested methods as he hasn't reported any loose deuces post consumption
don't...don't don't don't don't

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #304 on: August 30, 2016, 04:31:57 PM »
love the scientific/biologic thought process here-now you're talkin my lingo.  i had a minor in microbiology and i didn't know this stuff 8-)  can't argue with chili's time-tested methods as he hasn't reported any loose deuces post consumption

I might have said it here before, but you'd love America's Test Kitchen... it's essentially "kitchen meets scientific method."

Food, homebrewing and smoking are the way I satisfy my primal urges to do something sciency, engineery and play with fire.  My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I'm perfectly content wasting an entire Saturday in the kitchen making dinner for that evening.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #305 on: August 30, 2016, 04:58:26 PM »
The BBQ seminar I went to last spring would be of great interest to you.  It was taught by to PhD's in meat science, one from U of M and one from UW.  These dudes were on a cellular leven as they explained the art and science of smoking meat.  Very cool. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #306 on: August 30, 2016, 06:51:09 PM »
Agree with the boda yous.  The reactions of different foods to different seasonings, the changes of meat as it transitions thru the temperatures, combinations of different foods, sauces, etc is pretty cool. 

Speaking of cookin, have any of you guys made the beer can bacon cheeseburgers yet?  I did a couple of weeks ago.  I used the recipe by the bbq pit boys except smoked 'em instead of grilled and yesssireebob, they were tremendous.  I sautéed my inner mixture in a cayenne infused olive oil and wowww!  I did post some pics on my face book page-chili knows where to find that.  I'll try to post them here, but it may take me a week to do that again.  My chrome book took a shat and doing everything with my iPad is interesting

Note, Facebook shows the grilled ones, not the smoked ones, but same thing as doing smoked burgers

http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/beer-can-bacon-burgers/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:58:44 PM by rocket surgeon »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #307 on: August 30, 2016, 07:38:20 PM »
Agree with the boda yous.  The reactions of different foods to different seasonings, the changes of meat as it transitions thru the temperatures, combinations of different foods, sauces, etc is pretty cool. 

Speaking of cookin, have any of you guys made the beer can bacon cheeseburgers yet?  I did a couple of weeks ago.  I used the recipe by the bbq pit boys except smoked 'em instead of grilled and yesssireebob, they were tremendous.  I sautéed my inner mixture in a cayenne infused olive oil and wowww!  I did post some pics on my face book page-chili knows where to find that.  I'll try to post them here, but it may take me a week to do that again.  My chrome book took a shat and doing everything with my iPad is interesting

Note, Facebook shows the grilled ones, not the smoked ones, but same thing as doing smoked burgers

http://bbqpitboys.com/recipes/beer-can-bacon-burgers/

Aren't those picks posted on the under boards?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #308 on: August 31, 2016, 05:11:44 AM »
Aren't those picks posted on the under boards?

Oh, maybe?  Which boards?  If they are pics of a cheese covered bacon wrapped hunk of ground animal, then yes.  If I did, pardon the senior moment

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2016, 10:33:32 PM »
Bacon heaven.

That's all I can say.  Turned out perfect.  Soaked it Saturday, smoked it Sunday, sliced it today.  Kids have been very happy last couple of mornings helping dad taste-test bacon.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2016, 10:40:38 PM »
Bacon heaven.

That's all I can say.  Turned out perfect.  Soaked it Saturday, smoked it Sunday, sliced it today.  Kids have been very happy last couple of mornings helping dad taste-test bacon.

Nothing like it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2016, 10:52:48 PM »
I see Dave Anderson has opened up a joint recently in hudson. Must try. 

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #312 on: September 25, 2016, 01:31:04 PM »
Need a new meat thermometer. Burned through a couple Taylor Made devices.

Looking at Oregon Scientific.  Any recommendations?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #313 on: September 25, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »

I've been using Redi chek et-732 with the wireless remote sensor.  Nice cheap contraption, works ok.  Amazon has it for about $35. There is a smoker temp probe connection as well, but I don't need that as my smoker has a digital temp and time setting.  I see they have a long range one as well, but how far do ya want to go? 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #314 on: September 25, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »

Taylor-made?  FORE!! 'Ey?  Smokes em long and straight Eyn'a?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #315 on: October 16, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
Wet curing 18 lbs of belly in anticipation of bbq next weekend.  Gonna do brisket, burnt ends, ribs and a pastrami.  Home made bacon and my award winning chili for an appetizer. 

3 to 1 odds JB goes into a meat coma by 3rd quarter.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #316 on: October 16, 2016, 03:06:38 PM »
Wet curing 18 lbs of belly in anticipation of bbq next weekend.  Gonna do brisket, burnt ends, ribs and a pastrami.  Home made bacon and my award winning chili for an appetizer. 

3 to 1 odds JB goes into a meat coma by 3rd quarter.

nice!!  better add some fiber to that carnivorous festival eyn'AHHHHHHHH and then get uncle johns monumental bathroom bible out, a box of wooden matches and let err rip! have the popsicles on standby.

i've got to do a wet cure.  just pulled a 1/2 brisket i smoked last march out of the freezer-ya'd never know

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #317 on: October 16, 2016, 03:50:36 PM »
Fiber......We got beans.   Famous Dave's recipe from his cook book.

I'll be in class all day on Monday down at St Thomas.  It could get ugly. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #318 on: October 16, 2016, 08:10:49 PM »
Fiber......We got beans.   Famous Dave's recipe from his cook book.

I'll be in class all day on Monday down at St Thomas.  It could get ugly.

depends?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #319 on: October 17, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »
Beans, beans da magical fruit. Da more ya eat, da more ya toot. Da more ya toot, da better ya feel, so eat yo beans at every meal, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #320 on: October 18, 2016, 07:46:39 PM »
Beans, beans da magical fruit. Da more ya eat, da more ya toot. Da more ya toot, da better ya feel, so eat yo beans at every meal, hey?

it's a bit "winded" at 15 minutes, but if you've never heard the classic, radio play by play of the
 "great crepitation contest of 1946" pitting the venerable paul boomer vs. the lord windesmear.  the announcer sounds like orson wells.  ranks right up there with some of the other classic, lone ranger, etc :D 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FyD95Hv7CU

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #321 on: October 26, 2016, 09:14:49 PM »
Recovering from Sunday's meat coma.

Most interesting meat on Sunday was lamb ribs. Really good. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #322 on: October 27, 2016, 01:46:35 PM »
Used leftover pulled smoked pork shoulder in chili for the first time this weekend.  Just fantastic. Used a slow cooker set on low overnight with a can of crushed tomatoes, beef broth, onions, and spices.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #323 on: October 27, 2016, 07:41:35 PM »
Used leftover pulled smoked pork shoulder in chili for the first time this weekend.  Just fantastic. Used a slow cooker set on low overnight with a can of crushed tomatoes, beef broth, onions, and spices.

there were leftovers? :o  that sounds like a great idea!  never thought of that one.  i usually cut up about 4-5 lbs of chuck roast along with 4-5lb. of ground beef-all my secret seasonings brown it all up then transfer to a crock pot for the night.  try serving it over a good home made mac n smoked gouda cheese-yes! 

next up-smoked pork shoulder chili-thanks

yo real-your feast sounded incredible

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #324 on: November 06, 2016, 04:09:11 AM »
Home made bacon for the tailgater at Lambeau today.