collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 163133 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #225 on: November 27, 2015, 08:41:14 PM »
       holy schnikees-the pork belly turned as good if not better than everyone has tried to describe.  made it just as they suggested-score the fat side-give her a good rub, i then wrapped mine in saran and froze as i bought 20 lbs last sunday.  with thanksgiving coming, the last thing i wanted was a few pounds of pork belly competing with left over smoked turkey.  anyway, thawed overnight, unwrapped, added a little more fresh rub.  smoked at 225 for about 4 hours.  coincidentl, internal temp. was perfect 200. removed-couldn't resist a taste test-beautiful, re-wrapped in foil, added a little more rub, put into oven at 225 for another 3-4 hours.   
              slap my face!!  daddy's got a sweet tooth tonight!
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #226 on: November 27, 2015, 09:11:21 PM »
       holy schnikees-the pork belly turned as good if not better than everyone has tried to describe.  made it just as they suggested-score the fat side-give her a good rub, i then wrapped mine in saran and froze as i bought 20 lbs last sunday.  with thanksgiving coming, the last thing i wanted was a few pounds of pork belly competing with left over smoked turkey.  anyway, thawed overnight, unwrapped, added a little more fresh rub.  smoked at 225 for about 4 hours.  coincidentl, internal temp. was perfect 200. removed-couldn't resist a taste test-beautiful, re-wrapped in foil, added a little more rub, put into oven at 225 for another 3-4 hours.   
              slap my face!!  daddy's got a sweet tooth tonight!

Pics?????

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2015, 05:30:23 AM »
Pics?????

i'll give it another try-not good at all this paste and transfer and clip and forward and ctrl-finger twister, but since i don't have my techno kids around, i'm on my own with this crap

until then, looks like a rubbed slab of bacon without the white grease and red-ish hue.  in other words, a hunk of smoked meat, but i'll see what i can do here

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2015, 10:16:59 AM »
Though it wasn't smoked per se, I served up some left over pork belly (diced) with roasted Brussels sprouts with the turkey... to say it was a huge hit with everyone would be an understatement.  Simply tossed the pork belly and sprouts with a bit of renderings and olive oil, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and a touch of balsamic vinegar, 25 mins covered at 375 degF and 15 mins uncovered.  It was the only item on the table of which there were no leftovers; even the kids ate it.

It's official... smoked pork belly makes everything better: breakfast, vegetables, life in general*, etc.

*Statement not approved by the American Heart Association.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2015, 12:55:47 PM »
I'm going to make up a bunch of venison jerkey this coming weekend on the smoker.

I've always used Hi Mountain brand seasoning for jerkey. Curious if anyone has a recommendation for a different brand or for a different home-made recipe.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2015, 05:10:18 PM »
I'm going to make up a bunch of venison jerkey this coming weekend on the smoker.

I've always used Hi Mountain brand seasoning for jerkey. Curious if anyone has a recommendation for a different brand or for a different home-made recipe.

same here-hi mountain, but when i've been out of that and don't feel like running out, i've used my homemade pork rub.  people will ask me for the recipe-i don't have one, but i can mix it up for them. 

onion and garlic powder, southwest seasoning, cajun seasoning, a couple different chili powders, homegrown/dried serano, tobasco, jalapeno, habanero peppers, and cumin.  i go by appearance and smell, BUT, because of the peppers-i sometimes don't know how hot it's gonna be-i'm careful though.  if i had to guess-it's probably like  1 cup chili powder, 1 cup cumin, to 1/4 cup of all the others except the peppers.  the peppers are at your risk.  i need to smell the cumin, but have a nice orange-red color from the chili pepper.  i've made a lot of it over the years. 

i'll also mix some bread crumbs and romano cheese with some rub and shake country spare ribs coated in olive oil over it and bake-incredible!

back to your jerky seasoning-sometimes i've seasoned with worcestershire and fresh cracked pepper, garlic and onion powder.  beef bullion is optional

french onion soup mix with worcestershire and cracked pepper

bbq sauce(which-ever) with louisiana red hot.  i love stubbs original

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2016, 06:17:07 PM »
Whippin' out the smoker tomorrow.  High of 4

Got 6 pounds of pork belly and 8 pounds of brisket.

Pm me for reservations.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2016, 07:01:33 PM »
Whippin' out the smoker tomorrow.  High of 4

Got 6 pounds of pork belly and 8 pounds of brisket.

Pm me for reservations.

where is all that meat going?  do you have 20 people coming over?  good for you.  i still have about 8-10 lbs rubbed and wrapped in the freezer myself.  when the moment is right...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2016, 06:51:53 AM »
where is all that meat going?  do you have 20 people coming over?  good for you.  i still have about 8-10 lbs rubbed and wrapped in the freezer myself.  when the moment is right...

Some people are coming over. Both boys are home. Some will go back with them to school.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2016, 12:44:22 PM »
Some people are coming over. Both boys are home. Some will go back with them to school.

good thing-i didn't want to send the health dept. over there-you might not have had enough food

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #235 on: February 06, 2016, 05:57:16 AM »
  had to revive the smoker thread and bring it back to the top

throwing 10 lbs. of rubbed belly on ole smokey today.  next batch we will try some bacon.  we joined costco now and they just opened a new one out in new berlin-easier to get to.  last time i went, belly was all trimmed up nicely at $2.87/lb.  that's stealing boys

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #236 on: February 06, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »
That's a killer price. Half what I pay.

Pics? 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #237 on: February 06, 2016, 11:27:43 AM »
That's a killer price. Half what I pay.

Pics?

i'll give the pics another college try.  i just got back from costco-they had about 6 nice bellies about 11-13 lbs each, nice trimmed fat layer $2.85/lb.  quite a number of beef briskets-huge ones~$3.79/lb.  i didn't buy any today as i have that 10 lbs smoked, now i'm going to wrap in foil with some juice and continue to cook at about 200 for a few more hours.  i'll get some pics but i'm such a techno nerd, i don't know how to get 'em onto this site.  my boys did it for me last time(s)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2016, 11:52:31 AM »
got a pic on my i-pad...now what eh'na?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2016, 09:40:32 PM »
Bro, how ya doing workin' that CAD CAM gizmo, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2016, 06:57:05 AM »
Bro, how ya doing workin' that CAD CAM gizmo, hey?

good question-almost got one, but when i did some math-my lab cost per crown on average is about $70.  lab in california, not in taiwan.  lots of $70's into $135k eh'na?  i'm a little better at math than downloading pics and moving files.  smoke a mean belly and/or brisket though.  next time, i'll just invite everyone over

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #241 on: February 20, 2016, 11:23:57 AM »

got 'er filled with meat this morning- 4lbs beef brisket (from a 16 ib slab) 5 ibs brats and 6 ibs of southern style

pork ribs.  i bought a 16 ib. slab of beef($3.89/ib at costco), but since i'm a beef brisket virgin, i didn't want to

potentially ruin the whole thing.  so i cut it into 4 sections, rubbed and wrapped the other 12 ibs and put it in the

freezer.  i figured i have enough meat in the smoker to last me a few days anyway.  actually, i'm going to freeze

the pork ribs for another day also.  what i do next is my absolute favorite-mix my pork rub with bread crumbs

and romano cheese.  roll the ribs in olive oil, put rub mixture in a plastic bowl with a lid-shake 1 or 2 ribs at a

time. put into a greased ceramic baking dish. pour a little more of the mixture over the ribs-bake at 350 for an

hour or so-ya can hardly overdo these. eating these bad boys will make a grown man cry

(chili-check your pm's)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #242 on: February 20, 2016, 03:15:19 PM »
Sounds like you might be sportin' some wood, eh?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #243 on: February 20, 2016, 03:16:07 PM »
What are southern style ribs.  Country style?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #244 on: February 21, 2016, 05:59:27 AM »
What are southern style ribs.  Country style?

yeah, same thing except when ya rub and/or smoke 'em, they become Suthin style, but same cut

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »
good question-almost got one, but when i did some math-my lab cost per crown on average is about $70.  lab in california, not in taiwan.  lots of $70's into $135k eh'na?

Efficiency and being able to take more visits in the same amount of time worked is the sell. Buy it, bruh!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2016, 06:11:56 PM »
Efficiency and being able to take more visits in the same amount of time worked is the sell. Buy it, bruh!

there are a lot of pros, but at this point in my career, it's another "gadget" to incorporate into the routine.  i don't consider myself old(mid 50's), but i'm looking at selling the practice in a few(2-3) years, working part time in arizona.  i'm not sure how old everyone is around here, but as one does age, changes aren't as comfortable, so why?  they are really cool and i was probably a good mood away from writing the check and....i snoozed.  if one is having 2nd thoughts on a investment into the 6 digits??  i've taken on and paid off a lot of notes.  time for me to sit back and ride the bus, Eh'na?

cons-
    if the crown don't fit, you must....re-appoint-bummer.  but but but you said ONE visit.  now your cost is above what a lab would charge you and $$time$$  i can prep a crown in 30 minutes, cement it in 15-done, next

cost-$130-160k +? 
   training

i do appreciate the challenge though-damn, now ya got me thinking again :-\ :-\

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2016, 06:39:56 PM »
Beats scratchin' wax doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2016, 06:59:31 PM »

you fackin crack me up man!  when i first got out of school, my dad had an oven and a centrifuge.  we probably did our own full cast non-precious crowns, inlays and onlays until about 1995. i even made my own wedding ringS with that stuff. lost 2 of them, one playing softball and the other riding my motorcycle.  same wife of 32 years-had to clarify :-[ i did talk him into getting rid of the patient's pedals at the end of the chairs for the drills and the ash trays in the waiting room though

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2016, 08:05:14 PM »
there are a lot of pros, but at this point in my career, it's another "gadget" to incorporate into the routine.  i don't consider myself old(mid 50's), but i'm looking at selling the practice in a few(2-3) years, working part time in arizona.  i'm not sure how old everyone is around here, but as one does age, changes aren't as comfortable, so why?  they are really cool and i was probably a good mood away from writing the check and....i snoozed.  if one is having 2nd thoughts on a investment into the 6 digits??  i've taken on and paid off a lot of notes.  time for me to sit back and ride the bus, Eh'na?

cons-
    if the crown don't fit, you must....re-appoint-bummer.  but but but you said ONE visit.  now your cost is above what a lab would charge you and $$time$$  i can prep a crown in 30 minutes, cement it in 15-done, next

cost-$130-160k +? 
   training

i do appreciate the challenge though-damn, now ya got me thinking again :-\ :-\

If the crown don't fit, grab another block and mill that puppy up. But, it'll fit.

If selling, your financials may look better after running through additional revenue thanks to more time... and the buyer purchases a piece of state of the art (ahem...) technology.

Training... comes bundled with your purchase.

True dat. You don't see many DJ's who hunt lions on expensive trips, a''inal?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback