[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 162927 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #500 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »
I have not been particularly impressed with Hard 8 in my two trips there.  It was OK, but only OK, and rather pricey IMO.

I'd recommend this Pecan Lodge http://pecanlodge.com/

If you'll be anywhere near Austin, The Salt Lick https://saltlickbbq.com/

I really liked Pecan Lodge when I was down there for the Cotton Bowl last year. Great brewery right near there called Deep Ellum.
But I like to throw handfuls...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #501 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
I really liked Pecan Lodge when I was down there for the Cotton Bowl last year. Great brewery right near there called Deep Ellum.

That looks really good. Just worried it is on the other side of Dallas. I need to catch a flight from DFW the evening I will be there.  It looks highly rated. I'll need to find a way to make it work.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:58:23 PM by real chili 83 »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #502 on: November 25, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »
Anyone try a Frenched rack of pork Ribs?

Was in Sams pub yesterday to get pork belly.  Talked to the manager. They just started carrying them.  They can’t keep them in the store. He tore apart two coolers looking for them.   He ended giving me the Frenched rack for free.

Just outstanding service. His name is Chad and he is the GM at the Woodbury Sam’s Club.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #503 on: November 25, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »
Ya probably just got Chad’s ass chit-canned, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #504 on: November 25, 2017, 08:52:49 PM »
Nope. Kept me from going to Costco.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #505 on: November 26, 2017, 05:04:03 PM »
Anyone try a Frenched rack of pork Ribs?

Was in Sams pub yesterday to get pork belly.  Talked to the manager. They just started carrying them.  They can’t keep them in the store. He tore apart two coolers looking for them.   He ended giving me the Frenched rack for free.

Just outstanding service. His name is Chad and he is the GM at the Woodbury Sam’s Club.

what is a frenched rack of pork ribs? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #507 on: November 26, 2017, 06:26:10 PM »
It's essentially the pork version of rack of lamb

https://www.google.com/search?q=frenched+rack+of+pork&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjFzP_DtN3XAhVH0oMKHRDCARgQ_AUIEygC&biw=1024&bih=672&dpr=2#imgrc=Wh9VRamyT_DoGM:

Wow!  Nice!  It’s on my list-thanks. Speaking of lamb. Have you smoked any and I’m sure they have recipes online but if you have smoked it, what do you know?  I realize it can be a tough piece of meat, but there are tenderizers, etc.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #508 on: November 27, 2017, 10:28:36 AM »
Any smoked meat can be a meat worth smoking.  That being said, I have found - in general - that lamb is one of those "love-it-or-hate-it" type of meats.  So if you love it, go for it... but if you find raw lamb to be one of those "sour meats" and you're just trying to make lemonade out of lemons, you're probably better off buying a dozen lemons, smoking those and literally making some smoked lemonade.  Then add some whisky to it.  After the first glass, you'll have forgotten about the lamb.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #509 on: November 27, 2017, 09:51:34 PM »
https://masterbuilt.com/product/20078715-30-digital-electric-smoker-3/

Got it for $100 on clearance at Gander

just ordered my Christmas present-the 30" masterbuilt-$119.00 includes shipping!  amazon.  my other one-the one that may have some temp. issues, lasted 7-8 years, stored outside w/cover.  it still works, but might just cannibalize some parts for the new one and ya can't beat the price.  almost gave in to the 30" smart/RF model with the window, BUT   over twice the cost($260) with 4.0 stars and the "cheapy"(4.3 stars) did so well for me.  why mess with success?  i have to think that window gets charred up over time? 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #510 on: December 02, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »
Here you go Chili,

Tonights BBQ
Goal is National Championship

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #511 on: December 03, 2017, 06:06:47 AM »
Here you go Chili,

Tonights BBQ

That thing is a weapon.  Steak and eggs this morning too?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #512 on: December 03, 2017, 06:20:01 AM »
Ended up going to the Hard Eight in Coppell.  Brisket and jalapeño sausage were vey good.  If Pecan Lodge is a step above, I look forward to trying it next time.

Also tried, at TAMU's recommendation, Fargo's BBQ in Bryan.  Brisket was outstanding. Ribs were great too.  Mr. Fargo greated every guest every guest personally with a handshake and a big smile.  Keep this on your list if you find yourself in this part of Texas. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #513 on: December 04, 2017, 07:05:26 AM »
That thing is a weapon.  Steak and eggs this morning too?
Parents, wife and I took care of it...
Goal is National Championship

MU1992

• Walk-On
« Reply #514 on: December 08, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »
I am a long time reader but rarely post.  I need some gift advice.  My brother in law is an avid smoker (he has a weber smoker).  I was thinking of getting him an assortment of wood chips for his smoker.  Does anyone have any tips on what brand or type to buy and where to get it - preferably on-line?  Or any other gift ideas relating to smoking meet.

Thanks

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #515 on: December 08, 2017, 03:11:26 PM »
I am a long time reader but rarely post.  I need some gift advice.  My brother in law is an avid smoker (he has a weber smoker).  I was thinking of getting him an assortment of wood chips for his smoker.  Does anyone have any tips on what brand or type to buy and where to get it - preferably on-line?  Or any other gift ideas relating to smoking meet.

Thanks

a wireless thermometer? 

gift certificate to cabela's they have a lot of smoking accessories

a slab of brisket or pork belly or both

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #516 on: December 08, 2017, 03:18:15 PM »

Thanks

I second the wireless thermometer (if he doesn't have already); perhaps something with high & low temp alarms.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #517 on: December 08, 2017, 06:52:24 PM »
Nothing special about wood chips.  If it were a pellet burner, then we could talk. 

The thermometer is a great idea.  Consider one that can track multiple meats.  You can go fancy pants and get one with Bluetooth.  You can get super-fancy pants and track temps on your phone from anywhere.

There are plenty of on line BBQ retailers....perhaps an assortment of rubs,  I'll give a shout out to St. croix Valley.

If you want to order some high fallutin' look up Duroc breed of pork products.  Or a Kobe style brisket.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #518 on: December 20, 2017, 09:27:42 PM »

Thanks

What did you end up going with?

MU1992

• Walk-On
« Reply #519 on: December 21, 2017, 12:11:33 PM »
Thanks to all.  He already has the thermometer, so will have to go a different direction.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #520 on: December 21, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »
anybody out there make jerky in their smoker?  Want to try it and found a website that provides a pretty good how-to but thought I'd ask here first as there seem to be some pretty avid smokers here.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #521 on: December 22, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
Has anybody used a smoking gun before? Any good recipes with it?
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #522 on: December 22, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
anybody out there make jerky in their smoker?  Want to try it and found a website that provides a pretty good how-to but thought I'd ask here first as there seem to be some pretty avid smokers here.

Venison jersey and salmon jerkey

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #523 on: December 22, 2017, 05:02:37 PM »

i have, but prefer my dehydrator for jerky.  i like a little tougher/chewy consistency.  imho, it allows one to promote the ole parotid gland to go into hyper-goober which starts to break er down and allows one to literally chew the crap(flavor) out of it.  the smoker produces a dryer, almost crumbly quality that doesn't produce the same.  it's good, but not as good as what the dehydrator produces

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #524 on: January 14, 2018, 08:05:24 AM »
Did a brisket and pork belly yesterday at -2.  Pork belly was the star of the show.

The leftover belly and brisket are going into chili today.

Football and chili today!