[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 163060 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #475 on: October 05, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »
How's that holding up? I'm liking the looks of those things.

Through 2 summers and 1 Chicago winter it's still great. I do have a cover for it as my old condo had southern exposure on the deck but not a single issue with it. Wouldn't trade it.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #476 on: October 06, 2017, 09:37:51 AM »
It's a rusty mess, it's time. I budgeted to repair, and we're talking a couple hundred. Might as well get something bigger and new.

Your grill or spouse?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #477 on: October 15, 2017, 07:42:25 AM »
20+ lbs on smoker this morning. Belly, brisket, burnt ends.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #478 on: October 22, 2017, 03:24:56 AM »
just making sure i'm not missing anything here-

https://www.charbroil.com/digital-electric-smoker-stand?gdffi=e1085c8ad7a9423dba5a6854163ded82&gdfms=9A7650AA61084598B676A5A86051B268&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg7HPBRDUARIsAMeR_0gRXn8KAy5-BqamXpLRXIkQcFqboTCuQuGOS8QgMYH6nZaV3BZx7g8aAlBrEALw_wcB

30" electric, digital char boil smoker for $39.00??  yes i realize it's a charboil, but...even if it's like a bic pen, i can get 4-5 of these to equal one masterbuilt.  one minor detail however-how well does it smoke the animal remains??
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #479 on: October 22, 2017, 07:25:20 AM »
just making sure i'm not missing anything here-

https://www.charbroil.com/digital-electric-smoker-stand?gdffi=e1085c8ad7a9423dba5a6854163ded82&gdfms=9A7650AA61084598B676A5A86051B268&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg7HPBRDUARIsAMeR_0gRXn8KAy5-BqamXpLRXIkQcFqboTCuQuGOS8QgMYH6nZaV3BZx7g8aAlBrEALw_wcB

30" electric, digital char boil smoker for $39.00??  yes i realize it's a charboil, but...even if it's like a bic pen, i can get 4-5 of these to equal one masterbuilt.  one minor detail however-how well does it smoke the animal remains??

$30 for the stand only.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #480 on: October 22, 2017, 11:34:57 AM »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #481 on: October 22, 2017, 05:06:11 PM »
$30 for the stand only.

in other words, i was missing something there-no such thing as a free lunch, enn'a?  thanks

jfmu

• Starter

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #483 on: November 11, 2017, 04:44:48 PM »
I've made these and they are delicious.

https://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/pork-belly-burnt-ends

thanks for the recipe-just picked up, trimmed and rubbed 16 lb beef brisket and 12 lb. pork belly-both $2.99/lb at costco.  gotta try some belly burnt ends

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #484 on: November 11, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »
Anyone have recommendations on where to buy good beef ribs near North Shore Chicago.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #485 on: November 12, 2017, 06:05:34 PM »
Anyone have recommendations on where to buy good beef ribs near North Shore Chicago.

sorry-no help with the north shore, i'm a cheese head and my beef ribs are the best round these parts anyway.  there is a small little cafe up here in waukesha owned by oprah's niece or cousin or something and she has really good ribs, excellent fish frys and southern style dishes.  one has to call ahead for her beef ribs because they go FAST!  it's called pat's rib place

anyway-i'm also letting you know i made your pork belly burnt ends-WOW!  makes a great appetizer or meal.  thanks!

now a question for you smoke heads-since i smoked approximately 30 lbs of animal carcass this afternoon, there is no way i'm going to be able consume 1/2 of it over the next few days.  i'm taking some to the office for the staff to munch on...i vacuum sealed a few slabs-how long would that safely last in the refrigerator?  or have any of you frozen sealed smoked meats and how is the quality as such?  i would rather give it away than see it lose it's appeal via freezing and not be worth the bother

thanks guys

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #486 on: November 12, 2017, 06:54:01 PM »
I usually don’t have much for leftovers. I use frozen brisket for chili.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #487 on: November 12, 2017, 07:03:07 PM »
thanks for the recipe-just picked up, trimmed and rubbed 16 lb beef brisket and 12 lb. pork belly-both $2.99/lb at costco.  gotta try some belly burnt ends

We have a Costco opening this week. For those prices, I might convert

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #488 on: November 12, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »
We have a Costco opening this week. For those prices, I might convert

as i said a few weeks ago, i bought a beautiful trimmed brisket from sendiks.  opened the pak, rubbed it(fill in wise cracks here) and threw it on the smoker-turned out fantastic, but it was $9.00/lb.  i might have trimmed 1 lb, no more than 2 of fat from this bad boy-do the math-send someone you know who is a member in to do some scouting.  nice thing about costco is they have memberships where if you spend enough over the course of the year, you get money back.  so the membership essentially pays for itself.  i don't go real often, but for meat, misc stuff, got my 70" big screen, carpet shampoo'er, etc so i should be getting some money back this yeAR

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #489 on: November 12, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »
I usually don’t have much for leftovers. I use frozen brisket for chili.

ok, but when ya licked your fingers-was it still acceptable?  how long would be the safest in the fridge vacuum sealed in your opinion?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #490 on: November 12, 2017, 07:55:21 PM »
  ok, but when ya licked your fingers-was it still acceptable?  how long would be the safest in the fridge vacuum sealed in your opinion?b

Truly vacuum sealed? A year....for chili. Truly, months if sealed well

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #491 on: November 12, 2017, 08:07:22 PM »
as i said a few weeks ago, i bought a beautiful trimmed brisket from sendiks.  opened the pak, rubbed it(fill in wise cracks here) and threw it on the smoker-turned out fantastic, but it was $9.00/lb.  i might have trimmed 1 lb, no more than 2 of fat from this bad boy-do the math-send someone you know who is a member in to do some scouting.  nice thing about costco is they have memberships where if you spend enough over the course of the year, you get money back.  so the membership essentially pays for itself.  i don't go real often, but for meat, misc stuff, got my 70" big screen, carpet shampoo'er, etc so i should be getting some money back this yeAR

If you're gonna smoke your own meat, it only makes sense to rub it first.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #492 on: November 12, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »
Heading through Dallas later this month.  Looking for a BBQ recommendation..

Hard 8 is on the list.   Other suggestions?

Final destination is College Station.  C&J, Wooohoooo!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #493 on: November 12, 2017, 08:08:26 PM »
Orr hire some babe ta due it four ya, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #494 on: November 12, 2017, 08:09:43 PM »

i've got a real nice nesco-sucks the chrome...well, it's very highly rated ;)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #495 on: November 12, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »
It ain't the meat, it's the motion.

South Side Johnny

it ain't the meat it's the motion southside johnny
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 08:16:56 PM by real chili 83 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #496 on: November 12, 2017, 08:11:37 PM »
If you're gonna smoke your own meat, it only makes sense to rub it first.

that's what i'm talkin about!    cuz he can, eyyn'hnaaa

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #497 on: November 13, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »

This is probably correct.  For most people, any way.  It's all about keeping spores and bacteria from falling on the meat while transferring.... you're not going to sterilize the meat at smoking temps, but if the cow was healthy when it was butchered and you didn't score the meat or inject it with anything at the outset, it is possible that under the correct conditions the meat could be kept for more than a couple years without too much loss in quality when vacuum sealed.  (That's how they are able to package those shelf-stable smoked salmon pouches into holiday gift boxes with expiration dates 4-5 years out... well that and a sh|t ton of preservatives.)  But absent a clean-room and proper sterilization materials/procedures, a few months in the fridge should be the top end of expectations.

That said, common conditions/packaging in the freezer?  Years.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #498 on: November 13, 2017, 07:04:27 PM »
This is probably correct.  For most people, any way.  It's all about keeping spores and bacteria from falling on the meat while transferring.... you're not going to sterilize the meat at smoking temps, but if the cow was healthy when it was butchered and you didn't score the meat or inject it with anything at the outset, it is possible that under the correct conditions the meat could be kept for more than a couple years without too much loss in quality when vacuum sealed.  (That's how they are able to package those shelf-stable smoked salmon pouches into holiday gift boxes with expiration dates 4-5 years out... well that and a sh|t ton of preservatives.)  But absent a clean-room and proper sterilization materials/procedures, a few months in the fridge should be the top end of expectations.

That said, common conditions/packaging in the freezer?  Years.

thanks benny and chili-i feel much better as i didn't want to give away too much of it, but i also didn't want to feel like i had to pig(no pun intended) this stuff down within a week.  i want to enjoy it as it should be.  i usually rub and wrap and freeze, then pull out what i can safely eat within the next few days and smoke. i also didn't want to compromise much of the taste by freezing post smoking.  and i didn't score any of the goods  thanks again!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #499 on: November 14, 2017, 03:12:17 PM »
Heading through Dallas later this month.  Looking for a BBQ recommendation..

Hard 8 is on the list.   Other suggestions?

Final destination is College Station.  C&J, Wooohoooo!

I have not been particularly impressed with Hard 8 in my two trips there.  It was OK, but only OK, and rather pricey IMO.

I'd recommend this Pecan Lodge http://pecanlodge.com/

If you'll be anywhere near Austin, The Salt Lick https://saltlickbbq.com/
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.