[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Which smoker to buy  (Read 161861 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Which smoker to buy
« Reply #425 on: May 23, 2017, 08:49:17 PM »
Oh, so you've been to Little Miss BBQ?

no i haven't-yet that is.  just looked them up.  they're near sky harbor.  very high ratings!  thanks for the suggestion though.  we will have to make it a destination when we are in/around or on our way to/from the airport.  we have a home in surprise-35 minutes west. 

hey dunks!  what's the word from the sonoran master chef  isn't that his old stompin grounds?
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #426 on: May 23, 2017, 10:19:13 PM »
One of Dave's newest restaurants is around 44th and France, down the block from my veterinarian. Well, my pet's. Heard it's good in the early goings; old Chatterbox spot.

Next time the pet goes in, I'll walk over for some QUE.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #427 on: May 24, 2017, 06:16:08 AM »
One of Dave's newest restaurants is around 44th and France, down the block from my veterinarian. Well, my pet's. Heard it's good in the early goings; old Chatterbox spot.

Next time the pet goes in, I'll walk over for some QUE.

Might head up to QFanatic for lunch today in Champlin.  You been there yet?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #428 on: May 25, 2017, 06:15:20 PM »
Whole Foods just opened up by me this week.

Pork belly goes for $6.99 or 7.99 for grass fed per pound.

Benny, how much do you pay at Costco?

I've seen it for $14 - $17 per pound....outrageous.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #429 on: May 25, 2017, 09:17:37 PM »
Rocket or others, have a pork belly recipe for an electric smoker??

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #430 on: May 25, 2017, 09:48:42 PM »
Rocket or others, have a pork belly recipe for an electric smoker??

honestly, i have only used this method 3 times and stuck with it since, 1)it works and 2) it's pretty good

apply sea salt and rub of your choice-wrap in saran wrap-refrigerate at least overnight.  i did freeze some to smoke later as well except i took the saran wrapped belly then wrapped in thick foil then vacuum sealed.  my eyes were bigger than my smoker.

set smoker temp to 225-230, hickory or apple chips

smoke to internal temp. of 165(3-4 hours), remove, wrap in foil and return to smoker for 2 more hours

wrap in towels and/or small cooler for 1 hour

here's the tricky part, it's very tempting to eat now and that's ok, but try to save some-put in fridge-next day, cut cross grain into 1/4" strips and either fry or put back on grill and heat thru, about 2 minutes per side

i like pretzel rolls, provolone....dill chips, onion and mayo.  bbq sauce(stubs original, sticky fingers or carolina kiss)   you'll find your own favorite toppings or just nothing at all?

i'm open to other methods, but this one has worked for me.  i smoked the frozen belly 2 mos. later and it was as good as fresh, but i'd prefer to smoke it all at once

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #431 on: May 26, 2017, 10:59:31 AM »

$2.89/lb (for the whole slab)... price hasn't changed in nearly two years.  Sometimes they cut it up into 1 inch strips and that's about another 40c/lb.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #432 on: May 26, 2017, 01:21:34 PM »

as benny said, costco sells it at a really nice price.  just curious-why would one want "grass fed" bacon?  wouldn't that be like kissing your sister?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #433 on: May 29, 2017, 05:09:29 PM »
Looking to buy my first smoker next weekend. Budget of 400 could go up but not thrilled to. Any suggestions of a solid smoker that's decently portable and good to start with?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 05:25:24 PM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #434 on: May 29, 2017, 05:16:24 PM »
Might head up to QFanatic for lunch today in Champlin.  You been there yet?

Did you make it? I have not been there yet. A couple of guys at the office say it's flat out incredible.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #435 on: May 29, 2017, 06:01:50 PM »
Looking to buy my first smoker next weekend. Budget of 400 could go up but not thrilled to. Any suggestions of a solid smoker that's decently portable and good to start with?

I have a Mastbuilt.  Very happy.  Got mine on closeout at Gander half off for $100. Only downside is you can't do competition with an electric. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 06:45:33 PM by real chili 83 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #436 on: May 29, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »

masterbuilt makes a nice reasonably priced electric smoker with a few different styles.  bradley has both electric and traditional wood smokers moderately priced.  then ya got your traegers starting just above your budget $400+

i'm on my 2nd masterbuilt~10 years total years total.  each around $200ish.  as chili stated, you can get a decent masterbuilt on sale somewhere.  i like the control with the electric(digital). i think benny's the man with the wood, 'ey?  wood fired that is :D  my next masterbuilt-i'm gonna splurge and get the one with the glass front.  i know, it probably gets all smoked up after the first few batches, but they look cool

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #437 on: May 29, 2017, 08:22:50 PM »
Nice thanks guys. How portable are those masterbuilts? Because I'd like to take it up to the lake or to my parents occasionally
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #438 on: May 29, 2017, 09:46:25 PM »
Nice thanks guys. How portable are those masterbuilts? Because I'd like to take it up to the lake or to my parents occasionally

Light and super portable. Even in  Prius

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #439 on: May 30, 2017, 10:01:23 AM »

they list the masterbuilt 30 shipping weight as 52lbs., but i move mine quite frequently and i would have guessed closer to 35-40 tops.  very portable, like a small fridge but lighter.  i'd go to gander mountain or home depot and check a few out, kick a few doors, lift 'em, then go home and order it online

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #440 on: July 12, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »
Just had ribs for lunch at Ted Cook's 19th Hole. 

Put it on the list.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #441 on: July 13, 2017, 09:50:58 AM »
Usually go with the standard, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chili, and brown sugar concoction, primarily on pork.  Any other ideas to switch up?

A little late to add, but didn't see it.  Create your own chili powder - buy a couple different bags of dried peppers (ancho and de arbol work well), cook them in a dry pan until crispy - keep a fan on.  Grind 'em up in a spice grinder or whatever.  Store in air-tight container. 
Add it to everything. 
Has a TON of flavor compared to store bought stuff. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #442 on: July 13, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »
I have a Mastbuilt.  Very happy.  Got mine on closeout at Gander half off for $100. Only downside is you can't do competition with an electric.

Made it there today. Pretty damned good.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #443 on: July 14, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
Just had ribs for lunch at Ted Cook's 19th Hole. 

Put it on the list.

does theodore deliver to waukesha??

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #444 on: August 08, 2017, 09:21:37 PM »
Summit 670 versus Napoleon Prestige Pro.  Both are fine grilling instruments.

Both have built in smoker boxes. Curious if anyone has one of these and can comment on how good of a job they do with low and slow smoking?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #445 on: September 14, 2017, 08:50:44 PM »
Went to Midwood Smokehouse in Ballantyne. Brisket was great. Got a tour of the kitchen and the smoker.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:40:07 AM by real QG chili 83 »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #446 on: September 18, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »
Now we are up to 50,000 views on this subject.  Beyond mid-west mentality, absurd.....it has been running for years, is it the Marquette obsession of all times?  It is like the blob, no killing it.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #447 on: September 18, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »
Having the annual fall smoked meat fest soon.  It will involve about 25 pounds of meat for 7 of us.  SPW and JB ready to strap on the feedbag.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #448 on: September 18, 2017, 07:45:41 PM »
Having the annual fall smoked meat fest soon.  It will involve about 25 pounds of meat for 7 of us.  SPW and JB ready to strap on the feedbag.

Never wished I lived in Minnesota - until I read this post.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #449 on: September 19, 2017, 09:31:08 AM »
Summit 670 versus Napoleon Prestige Pro.  Both are fine grilling instruments.

Both have built in smoker boxes. Curious if anyone has one of these and can comment on how good of a job they do with low and slow smoking?

I have a Napoleon Prestige Pro 500 and love it. It's all north american materials and all metal vs. Webers assembled in usa and not all metal which is why i went with it. I wanted something to put up with Chicago winters and not fall apart. The grill itself holds temps fantastic and even. For grill purposes gets hotter than hell for searing. Side burner gets over 1000 and main grill can get to 600 in about 5 min. Conversely, it holds temp perfectly too.
But I like to throw handfuls...

feedback