[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Redskins name Banned?  (Read 26299 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Redskins name Banned?
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »
Not to pick nits, but only one of those is a supreme court decision and that one was a decision around the state and an organization with a design. Not a private citizen choosing to select letters/numbers that created something offensive.

Well, what the Supreme Court says is law, so there really doesn't need to be more than one Supreme Court ruling, unless they see need to clarify on another case brought before them. Although the specifics of that case involve one state and one particular message, it applies to all.

Apples and oranges to the trademark decision around Washington's nickname.
Oh, I agree, but since you guys started talking about how the principle ought to be the same for license plates ....

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
Well, what the Supreme Court says is law, so there really doesn't need to be more than one Supreme Court ruling, unless they see need to clarify on another case brought before them. Although the specifics of that case involve one state and one particular message, it applies to all.
Oh, I agree, but since you guys started talking about how the principle ought to be the same for license plates ....

Let me rephrase.....there is one supreme court ruling in the license plate area of concern but is not related to the original conceit....that if a person(not an organization or corporation) wanted to sue the state for violation of their 1st amendment protections because the state would not allow them their primary choice of customization.

So, while interesting, the articles you've provided do nothing to prove my original statement incorrect
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2017, 01:53:34 PM »
Let me rephrase.....there is one supreme court ruling in the license plate area of concern but is not related to the original conceit....that if a person(not an organization or corporation) wanted to sue the state for violation of their 1st amendment protections because the state would not allow them their primary choice of customization.

So, while interesting, the articles you've provided do nothing to prove my original statement incorrect

I'm not terribly interested in a long debate, so I'll leave it at this: The legal principle stated by the court here - that a license plate is government speech, not protected private speech - would not change on the basis of who seeks a personalized plate. The court wouldn't rule that a license plate is government speech when a group wants something on it, but private speech when Joe Blow wants to personalize it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2017, 03:47:56 PM »
I'm not terribly interested in a long debate, so I'll leave it at this: The legal principle stated by the court here - that a license plate is government speech, not protected private speech - would not change on the basis of who seeks a personalized plate. The court wouldn't rule that a license plate is government speech when a group wants something on it, but private speech when Joe Blow wants to personalize it.

I'm not a legal scholar but I'd argue that if Citizen's United were overturned (or this fictional legal fight overrode that precedent) that your last statement is incorrect.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2017, 08:17:07 AM »
Just talked to a friend who's a very important person on the U.S. Supreme Court.

Ginsburg, Kennedy or one of the other 7?

I mean, there are only 9 "important persons on the U.S. Supreme Court."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback