[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Redskins name Banned?  (Read 26289 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Redskins name Banned?
« on: August 09, 2014, 06:24:59 PM »
The Redskins name might be banned at TCF stadium to play the Vikings.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/07/gophers-seek-to-ban-redskins-name-at-tcf-stadium/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:15:27 PM by muwarrior69 »

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Redskins name Banned?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:34:19 PM »
Nah. The U is just trying to be cute. They're complete idiots on this one. Awful.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 07:04:44 PM »
Nah. The U is just trying to be cute. They're complete idiots on this one. Awful.

The commercial thet ran on wcco on Friday was.....pretty stupid.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »
From a state that elected Jesse Ventura and Al Franken, to a program that plays the Fighting Illini.....if the "U" is so upset, they won't allow Illinois' name any longer and will turn down the money they get from allowing the Washington football team to play there.  Blood money....but of course they won't.

Good to see Minnesota get in the news somehow, a first in what seems like a decade plus.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 12:27:08 PM »
if the "U" is so upset, they won't allow Illinois' name any longer and will turn down the money they get from allowing the Washington football team to play there.  Blood money....but of course they won't.

This is the acid test. If principle genuinely mattered they would cancel the contract.

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 12:28:31 PM »
From a state that elected Jesse Ventura and Al Franken, to a program that plays the Fighting Illini.....if the "U" is so upset, they won't allow Illinois' name any longer and will turn down the money they get from allowing the Washington football team to play there.  Blood money....but of course they won't.

Good to see Minnesota get in the news somehow, a first in what seems like a decade plus.

Silly.

There is is huge difference between a chief's name and a derogatory, racial slur.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 12:43:20 PM »
Silly.

There is is huge difference between a chief's name and a derogatory, racial slur.

I agree that Illiniwek in and of itself is benign but there is a lot of imagery and history around the Native theme that is inconsistent with a dignified rendering.

The real irony is that Minnesota wants to object to Redskins yet is perfectly happy to take Redskin dollars. They must be holding their nose all the way to the bank. Integrity is not in what one says but, rather, in what one does. If one is truly offended one correctly cancels the contract, Until that happens Minnesota is full of sh1t.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 12:50:14 PM »
I agree that Illiniwek in and of itself is benign but there is a lot of imagery and history around the Native theme that is inconsistent with a dignified rendering.

The real irony is that Minnesota wants to object to Redskins yet is perfectly happy to take Redskin dollars. They must be holding their nose all the way to the bank. Integrity is not in what one says but, rather, in what one does. If one is truly offended one correctly cancels the contract, Until that happens Minnesota is full of sh1t.

Keefe, its not "Minnesota".  It's a bunch of know it alls, think they know better than you, smarmy nerds. 

You know the type.  You are surrounded by them in Washington State. 

I have a friend who just moved to Seattle.  He said Washington makes Minnesota look conservative. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 01:01:57 PM »
Keefe, its not "Minnesota".  It's a bunch of know it alls, think they know better than you, smarmy nerds. 

You know the type.  You are surrounded by them in Washington State. 

I have a friend who just moved to Seattle.  He said Washington makes Minnesota look conservative. 

Chili, I should have been more precise. By Minnesota I meant the U and not the state - in the same way one refers to U of Michigan as simply Michigan.

Washington is bifurcated politically; The People's Democratic Republic of King County is so large and so radical that it makes Che Guevara blush.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »

Ding ding.  Let's see the hypocrisy exposed.  Turn down the money Minnesota, show your principled stance.  Ask Elizabeth Warren what she would do. 

Thanks for quoting Brand's nonsense again....it never gets old. 

real chili 83

• All American

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 06:26:38 PM »
Someone needs to prevent this woman's potential suicide due to Chief Illiniwek!  http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/04/04/indigenous-student-discusses-public-suicide-over-chief-illiniwek-pain-154316

Why won't the University of Minnesota and the Big Ten do something immediately!! 

Surely the University of Minnesota and the brave politician that wishes to ban the Redskins name for one game, can do far more good by refusing to allow Illinois so play games at the University of Minnesota....we're talking life and death here for this woman. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 09:27:45 PM »
In far more important Redskins news....

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/video-rg3-makes-fans-wish-come-true-richmond

Nice story, I wonder if the kid and others are horrified that he plays for the REDSkins? 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 07:24:00 AM »
I know he's a Badger but in a story on Bronson Koenig has he describes his feelings of Indian themed mascots:

So during postgame meals with family and friends Koenig asked questions.

"They would tell me how Native Americans were slaughtered — just like the Holocaust," Koenig said. "And nobody even talks about it."

Koenig isn't afraid to discuss that topic, or his feelings on Indian mascots that are used for athletic teams on the high school, college and professional levels.

"I am disappointed," he said. "I don't know if I would say angry but kind of angry because I feel like...and with the mascots and all that stuff I think people think it's OK to make fun of us.

"I don't want to go too far into it. But even other minorities...I feel sometimes like we are lowest of the low, among the minorities.

"And when a Native American kid sees that growing up and sees the disrespect, it lowers their self-esteem and puts them in a lower place in society. It's just not a good feeling....

"It's honoring them? It's not racist? How are you going to say that when you're not a Native American?"

His mother's Facebook page features the profile of an Indian, inside a circle, wearing a headdress with a slash through the circle. Outside the circle are the words: INDIANS ARE PEOPLE. NOT MASCOTS.

The worst, in Koenig's mind, is Redskins.

"That term comes from when we were skinned and our flesh was red," he said. "I don't see how that is honoring us in anyway.

"Is our skin red? Would it be OK for the Kansas City Negroes or the Blackskins? That's not OK at all."

When Greendeer attended Seymour in the late 1980s, the school's nickname was Indians. Today it is the Thunder.

"They found out they weren't proud of their mascot," Greendeer said. "They were proud of the people going to those schools. They were proud of the families putting in their own time to make the school successful.

"They are a snapshot of someone's imagination. Our real images belong to folks like Bronson, folks like myself, leaders in the community that have done things.

"Bronson breaks the mold and it is a big slap in the face to anyone who will sit there and stereotype his people, his culture, his way of life, his image, his identity."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 05:51:29 AM »
I know he's a Badger but in a story on Bronson Koenig has he describes his feelings of Indian themed mascots:

"They would tell me how Native Americans were slaughtered — just like the Holocaust," Koenig said. "And nobody even talks about it."

Koenig isn't afraid to discuss that topic, or his feelings on Indian mascots that are used for athletic teams on the high school, college and professional levels.

"I am disappointed," he said. "I don't know if I would say angry but kind of angry because I feel like...and with the mascots and all that stuff I think people think it's OK to make fun of us.

"I don't want to go too far into it. But even other minorities...I feel sometimes like we are lowest of the low, among the minorities.

"And when a Native American kid sees that growing up and sees the disrespect, it lowers their self-esteem and puts them in a lower place in society. It's just not a good feeling....

"It's honoring them? It's not racist? How are you going to say that when you're not a Native American?"

His mother's Facebook page features the profile of an Indian, inside a circle, wearing a headdress with a slash through the circle. Outside the circle are the words: INDIANS ARE PEOPLE. NOT MASCOTS.

"That term comes from when we were skinned and our flesh was red," he said. "I don't see how that is honoring us in anyway.

"Is our skin red? Would it be OK for the Kansas City Negroes or the Blackskins? That's not OK at all."

When Greendeer attended Seymour in the late 1980s, the school's nickname was Indians. Today it is the Thunder.

"They found out they weren't proud of their mascot," Greendeer said. "They were proud of the people going to those schools. They were proud of the families putting in their own time to make the school successful.

"They are a snapshot of someone's imagination. Our real images belong to folks like Bronson, folks like myself, leaders in the community that have done things.

"Bronson breaks the mold and it is a big slap in the face to anyone who will sit there and stereotype his people, his culture, his way of life, his image, his identity."

just wondering, if bronson is good enough and is drafted by the golden state warriors-will he tell them he will only go to their team if they change their name from "warriors" to the teacups or something benign, if that is even possible today?
don't...don't don't don't don't

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 08:52:17 AM »
just wondering, if bronson is good enough and is drafted by the golden state warriors-will he tell them he will only go to their team if they change their name from "warriors" to the teacups or something benign, if that is even possible today?

My teacup is offended by this.

brandx

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 11:20:21 AM »
My teacup is offended by this.

Many bridges are offended by the team's logo.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »

Bronson gets it. Chico doesn't. Fighting Illini does not = Redskins. Neither does Fighting Irish. Fighting Ni**gers does.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 01:51:38 PM »
alrighty then, is our gubmint going to have to rename many of their(our) defense aircraft and weaponry?

let's see here, Apache attack helicopters, lakota utility helicopters, huron transport aircraft, tomahawk cruise missiles...

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/twenty-u-s-weapons-named-after-native-americans-8b88e2c7ed12#.iawox6ve2

let's see here, now what names can we come up with that will sound nasty and not offend anyone?

rock utility aircraft, sun missiles, hat helicopters, this is really dumb.  my grandpa is from switzerland, so am i supposed to be offended by the swiss army knife?  i mean, come on-i want something warrior-like to be named after my ancestry...swiss chocolate just doesn't cut it

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 02:25:38 PM »
alrighty then, is our gubmint going to have to rename many of their(our) defense aircraft and weaponry?

let's see here, Apache attack helicopters, lakota utility helicopters, huron transport aircraft, tomahawk cruise missiles...

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/twenty-u-s-weapons-named-after-native-americans-8b88e2c7ed12#.iawox6ve2

let's see here, now what names can we come up with that will sound nasty and not offend anyone?

rock utility aircraft, sun missiles, hat helicopters, this is really dumb.  my grandpa is from switzerland, so am i supposed to be offended by the swiss army knife?  i mean, come on-i want something warrior-like to be named after my ancestry...swiss chocolate just doesn't cut it

Why is this so hard?
Redskin is a racial slur.
Swiss, Apache, Irish, Illini,  Lakota, etc., are not.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 02:46:53 PM »
Why is this so hard?
Redskin is a racial slur.
Swiss, Apache, Irish, Illini,  Lakota, etc., are not.

context my man, context.  used only in terms of football and describing the team/team name, it's really not offensive to most people.  to call someone this in a derogatory sense in vitriolic type acts, yes, it could be construed as a slur.  if used as a slur, it's a slur.  many say the term originated from the fact that a certain tribe painted themselves red, ready for war.  over time, yes, some have come up with some really nasty originations of the name.  so i'm back to context.  everything seems so easy to you pak, but sorry to tell ya, it's not that easy for many.  poll-8 of 10 do not want the football term "redskin" changed

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 03:16:04 PM »
context my man, context.  used only in terms of football and describing the team/team name, it's really not offensive to most people.  to call someone this in a derogatory sense in vitriolic type acts, yes, it could be construed as a slur.  if used as a slur, it's a slur.  many say the term originated from the fact that a certain tribe painted themselves red, ready for war.  over time, yes, some have come up with some really nasty originations of the name.  so i'm back to context.  everything seems so easy to you pak, but sorry to tell ya, it's not that easy for many.  poll-8 of 10 do not want the football term "redskin" changed

These are the same dumb arguments that have been brought up repeatedly.  So it is OK to use a slur as long as it is in the context of sport?  It is OK to use a slur as long as most people aren't offended?  Neither of those arguments make much of sense.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 03:30:12 PM »
everything seems so easy to you pak, but sorry to tell ya, it's not that easy for many.

True. When it comes to using racial slurs as team nicknames, it is easy for me.