[Today at 08:40:42 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: John Oliver  (Read 16782 times)

jesmu84

• All American
John Oliver
« on: August 04, 2014, 08:16:42 PM »
Really enjoying his show. Here's this week's on media/advertising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_F5GxCwizc&feature=youtu.be

Mods - if this is too inflammatory a topic, you have my apologies.

brandx

Re: John Oliver
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »
Really enjoying his show. Here's this week's on media/advertising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_F5GxCwizc&feature=youtu.be

Mods - if this is too inflammatory a topic, you have my apologies.

Enjoy it as well.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:23:50 AM »
I'm read summaries of several of his shows and was in tears laughing just reading that.  I don't have HBO so won't be able to watch.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 08:31:57 AM »
His 5 minutes on the NY Port Authority this week was hilarious.  Sometimes leans a little too far left for my tastes, but is regularly very funny and I have caught every episode so far.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 09:59:05 AM »
I'm read summaries of several of his shows and was in tears laughing just reading that.  I don't have HBO so won't be able to watch.

Luckily for you, HBO is putting his episodes on YouTube, like the clip I posted above.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 10:58:39 AM »
His 5 minutes on the NY Port Authority this week was hilarious.  Sometimes leans a little too far left for my tastes, but is regularly very funny and I have caught every episode so far.

Is his show simply a take-off of the Daily Show?

I love Oliver's role in Community.  I believe he his character is an accurate representation of the quintessential college professor, be that at a community college or major university.

[Edited for clarification.]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 11:00:41 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
Is his show simply a take-off of the Daily Show?

A little bit more in depth on topics than the Daily Show...which IMO misses Oliver quite a bit.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »
His 5 minutes on the NY Port Authority this week was hilarious.  Sometimes leans a little too far left for my tastes, but is regularly very funny and I have caught every episode so far.

That is an understatement, he is far left.  Nevertheless I love his show as it is very funny and he is largely fair in his description of the facts.  He doesn't resort into name calling or announcing the right is dangerous and wants people to die for their benefit.  Instead he portrays their positions as somewhat reasonable and then portrays his leftist position as far more reasonable.  (see his argument about the death penalty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kye2oX-b39E )

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 12:37:48 PM »

A little bit more in depth on topics than the Daily Show...which IMO misses Oliver quite a bit.

Daily Show hasn't been the same since Colbert left. Too bad for Comedy Central that Oliver got this HBO show before Colbert took Letterman's spot. He could have transitioned quite nicely to Colbert's slot.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
Daily Show hasn't been the same since Colbert left. Too bad for Comedy Central that Oliver got this HBO show before Colbert took Letterman's spot. He could have transitioned quite nicely to Colbert's slot.

Yeah I'm not sure I can take Larry Wilmore in heavier doses.  But of course I will probably be checking out Colbert first.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 03:30:16 PM »
That is an understatement, he is far left.

He's English - most of what he says is super middle of the road, common thinking for anyone not living in the non-USA developed world.

That's the best part of the show - he's able to use his 'outsider' perspective to point out the absurdities that pass for 'common knowledge' in American politics. His episode on nuclear weapons was fantastic.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »
So Professor Duncan probably won't be back when Yahoo takes over Community? 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »
So Professor Duncan probably won't be back when Yahoo takes over Community? 

From Comic-Con 2014 via Variety:

Last season featured Jonathan Banks, who will likely not return thanks to his commitment to AMC’s “Better Call Saul,” but Harmon says he will soon sit down with the writers to discuss season six’s cast.

“It’s contractually possible for John Oliver to come back,” Harmon said of the British thesp’s recurring role as Professor Ian Duncan. “We’re not gonna tear him away from his amazing HBO show, but…”

“He does it once a week!” McHale pointed out.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »
The show is solid, but I will say for whatever reason I really don't care for John Oliver's delivery. I watch the show in spite of it. Colbert, in my opinion, is the exact opposite.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

brandx

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »
The show is solid, but I will say for whatever reason I really don't care for John Oliver's delivery. I watch the show in spite of it. Colbert, in my opinion, is the exact opposite.

Agreed. Like and watch Oliver, but the delivery is too frantic. That worked for 5 minute segments on TDS, but don't care for it in 30 minute doses.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 04:07:36 PM »
Agreed. Like and watch Oliver, but the delivery is too frantic. That worked for 5 minute segments on TDS, but don't care for it in 30 minute doses.

His wife, who is gorgeous, agrees with you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gskZizjEak