[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Todd Mayo is no longer with Marquette!  (Read 129945 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo is no longer with Marquette!
« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »
I had friends who maybe went to class 10 times per semester. This was back n the days that profs/instructors rarely took attendance.

My deal was this: If you make your lecture or instruction interesting and mandatory for tests, I will attend. If you just lecture from the book, I don't need to go to class. And it was amazing how many profs did just that.

I didn't used to be proud of this, but I kind of am now:

I set a record that can only be tied, never be beaten (by a student who graduates in four years). I went out for beverages every night of every finals week every semester for eight semesters.

I do get an asterisk, though. One night my first semester senior year, I was sick as hell but I wanted to keep the streak going, so I went out, drank about half a beer and went home.

The rest of 'em were multiple-hour, multiple-beverage efforts, though, so I figure I was allowed that one time I was a slacker.

Finals were slightly more stressful for me, especially in my junior and senior years when I lived off campus in apartments. Second semester junior year stands out in my memory. I was taking 5 classes and in all the final grade was based on some combination of papers and a final (a couple may have had a mid term thrown in). In each class, the final was worth something close to 50% of my final grade. I had missed LOTS of classes (Lenny's Tap was next door, we had an early spring and there was much celebrating over our NIT Championship) but I knew many people who were more diligent about class attendance than me. At a reasonable hour (10pm?) when they were finished studying for the following day's final one kind person from each of my classes would give me his/her notes. I was fortunate to have only one test per day throughout the week, all at 8am. At 10pm Sunday night my odyssey began. Study all night, take test from 8-10 am, stop at the Lanche for a couple, home by noon and right to bed. Up at 8pm, eat, borrow more notes for following day's test, another all nighter, take test, drink, sleep, etc. Thanks to a spread out exam schedule and friends who went to class and took good notes I had my best semester ever. Ah, college.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »
I had friends who maybe went to class 10 times per semester. This was back n the days that profs/instructors rarely took attendance.

My deal was this: If you make your lecture or instruction interesting and mandatory for tests, I will attend. If you just lecture from the book, I don't need to go to class. And it was amazing how many profs did just that.

I set a record that can only be tied, never be beaten (by a student who graduates in four years). I went out for beverages every night of every finals week every semester for eight semesters.

I do get an asterisk, though. One night my first semester senior year, I was sick as hell but I wanted to keep the streak going, so I went out, drank about half a beer and went home.

The rest of 'em were multiple-hour, multiple-beverage efforts, though, so I figure I was allowed that one time I was a slacker.

At the risk of being arrogant, how much of this was you and how much was the professor?

I'm about to pay $30,000 a year to send my daughter to college (week after next). And if she's so damn smart that she can read her way through college, then it is time to think about another college. My parents worked too hard for their money to send me to college and candidly, I worked too hard to get her an education in a local tavern. If the college isn't challenging the student, it's time for  either an attitude adjustment or a new college.

If you want an education at a bar, you need to be on the tap side, not on the customer side!

As a wise engineer once said to me, "It doesn't matter where you do, College is what you put into it."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #202 on: August 01, 2014, 03:40:10 PM »
Ners...this post exposes you as much bigger dork than any "water boy" or band member (I love the band) could ever hope to be. What a loser.

PRN...the feeling is mutual.  Let me know when you want to get together for a beer...would be fun to have a conversation in person.  Perhaps we can hoop first.  I'll be going to a few Marquette games this year - maybe we can plan to meet during one of those.  Let me know which you are going to attend as I know you'll go to a few being from Chicago. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Class71

• All American
« Reply #203 on: August 01, 2014, 03:49:46 PM »
Time to move on! Buzzard is long gone, Todd was largely never with us. As with so many, the talent was there but just too many other issues distracted him and the rest of us.

Now we have a new untested coach. We hope for the best but the coming year is a huge unknown. I would love to speculate but have really no bases with an untested coach and, a group of largely young untested players with a few veterans that have shown only limited success. Could we be a big winner this year, sure, stranger things have happened. I know for one, I have no clue until I see what magic Wojo has.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

MU82

• All American
« Reply #204 on: August 01, 2014, 04:20:24 PM »
Please don't take this the wrong way, but were you a Communications major?

Yep. So I had it relatively easy during finals week, especially by the time I was an upperclassman, because I had far more writing assignments than final exams. And I could do the writing in my sleep.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #205 on: August 01, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »
Finals were slightly more stressful for me, especially in my junior and senior years when I lived off campus in apartments. Second semester junior year stands out in my memory. I was taking 5 classes and in all the final grade was based on some combination of papers and a final (a couple may have had a mid term thrown in). In each class, the final was worth something close to 50% of my final grade. I had missed LOTS of classes (Lenny's Tap was next door, we had an early spring and there was much celebrating over our NIT Championship) but I knew many people who were more diligent about class attendance than me. At a reasonable hour (10pm?) when they were finished studying for the following day's final one kind person from each of my classes would give me his/her notes. I was fortunate to have only one test per day throughout the week, all at 8am. At 10pm Sunday night my odyssey began. Study all night, take test from 8-10 am, stop at the Lanche for a couple, home by noon and right to bed. Up at 8pm, eat, borrow more notes for following day's test, another all nighter, take test, drink, sleep, etc. Thanks to a spread out exam schedule and friends who went to class and took good notes I had my best semester ever. Ah, college.

That's a great system!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #206 on: August 01, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »
At the risk of being arrogant, how much of this was you and how much was the professor?

I'm about to pay $30,000 a year to send my daughter to college (week after next). And if she's so damn smart that she can read her way through college, then it is time to think about another college. My parents worked too hard for their money to send me to college and candidly, I worked too hard to get her an education in a local tavern. If the college isn't challenging the student, it's time for  either an attitude adjustment or a new college.

If you want an education at a bar, you need to be on the tap side, not on the customer side!

As a wise engineer once said to me, "It doesn't matter where you do, College is what you put into it."

I won't speak for anybody else, but this was 30+ years ago. I'm guessing things have changed besides the fact that tuition is now about 10x what I paid. For one thing, I'm told that most classes take attendance now and it's mandatory to attend.

If your daughter is a good student, she will fight the urge to have too much fun. But she will have fun. It's what college students do. It's in their job description.

I do agree with your engineer friend, but I will add this: As much fun as I had, I graduated in four years with decent grades and got a good-paying (for back then) job in my field right out of college. And that was smack dab in the middle of the 1982 recession, when jobs were in short supply.

So I must have done something right ... in addition to setting that awesome record that can only be tied and never be broken!

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »
Todd Jumped out the window. Best of luck to him playing in Delaware or Idaho for 15K a year. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:46:33 PM by Nevada233 »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #208 on: August 01, 2014, 05:38:48 PM »

I stand in awe.

Death on call

MU82

• All American
« Reply #209 on: August 01, 2014, 06:20:39 PM »
I stand in awe.

As Mark McGwire said as he approached the 60-HR mark in 2008: "I amaze myself."

And I didn't even need 'roids to complete my task!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2014, 07:57:24 PM »
Hmmmm... Lots of bragging here about how easy the MU degree was. Is that correct? I don't know except I have 24 CEU's from Marquette and remember that they did require attendance, and not much else.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2014, 08:02:58 PM »

All nighters were my specialty and my former roommates and buddies to this day give me crap.  I would go down to the Walgreen's on the corner of 16th and Wisconsin, load up on Dr. Pepper and Spaghettios and power through all night cramming for finals, usually doing pretty well.

Attendance....maybe they got stricter when I was there because most classes took attendance.   

Still remember the blizzard of '87 that cancelled finals for one day.  That was epic.  First time in MU history.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2014, 08:06:02 PM »
Hmmmm... Lots of bragging here about how easy the MU degree was. Is that correct? I don't know except I have 24 CEU's from Marquette and remember that they did require attendance, and not much else.

....and the check to clear.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »

Not at MU, but rather a similar quality institute, but I have a record that can also never be beaten. 

An entire semester, never attending class except for exam days.  Classes strategically chosen that did not require attendance.  Perfect 4.0 for the semester.  Classes.

Multivariable calculus
Economics
Theatre appreciation
World History
Organic Chemistry

To this day though I wonder what I missed in class, because although not tested, a lot of topics not in the book were expounded upon in class.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »
Not at MU, but rather a similar quality institute, but I have a record that can also never be beaten. 

An entire semester, never attending class except for exam days.  Classes strategically chosen that did not require attendance.  Perfect 4.0 for the semester.  Classes.

Organic Chemistry

Well, you went to lab.  Right?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2014, 09:10:41 PM »
Yep. So I had it relatively easy during finals week, especially by the time I was an upperclassman, because I had far more writing assignments than final exams. And I could do the writing in my sleep.

Gotcha. I had friends in Communications who would party all finals week because all they had to do was turn in a presentation etc. Not necessarily the same exams as the rest of us. One of them couldn't believe that the rest of us didn't love finals week as much.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2014, 09:15:53 PM »

Who said it was easy? Shouldn't surprise you that guys like 82, Chicos and myself could fill a blue book with some fairly decent BS after an all nighter. We're still doing it decades later without the benefit of any study whatsoever. Ok, maybe it's not always DECENT BS, but we are still at it.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2014, 09:17:39 PM »
Any y'all remove the center pages from those blue books to make 'em look like you actually "filled" the entire book?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2014, 09:47:49 PM »
Any y'all remove the center pages from those blue books to make 'em look like you actually "filled" the entire book?

What's a Blue Book?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2014, 10:24:46 PM »
I wouldn't think for a second to form opinions on someone playing the baritone - something I know virtually nothing about...as I've never played it.  Same with piano players.  Yes, I can recognize some play beautifully, but since I've never played either, I can't really comment on the nuances.  

And for what it is worth, I played a ton with all the guys on the team back in my day in the offseason, along with some Milwaukee Bucks, coached at all of MU's basketball camps while Mike Deane was there, as I always balled with Mike Rice and the guys on the team - and they knew I wasn't a stiff  - which is why they had me coaching at their camps.  No, it doesn't make me a D-1 college ballplayer, but it does give one a little better understanding of the game than one who hasn't played it a ton.

That said it doesn't mean you or the others don't make good points at times, nor does it mean you don't add value here - you guys do.  As you know I just refuse to believe Buzz did a good job last year, nor do I believe he truly was doing his best to win games.

So let me get this straight. In your opinion, this is the hierarchy of opinions on scoop:

The few former college basketball players on this site
Yourself (and anyone else who occasionally played pickup games with the basketball team back in the early 90s)
Everyone else
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »
So let me get this straight. In your opinion, this is the hierarchy of opinions on scoop:

Yourself (and anyone else who occasionally played pickup games with the basketball team back in the early 90s)
Everyone else

Those who played Strat-O-Matic Baseball in the McCormick Challenge
Everyone else

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2014, 11:36:09 PM »

Everyone else

I am delighted and will gladly accept the honor of being one of the elder masters here on this board. 8-)

(even if it was the 70's rather than the 90's)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2014, 12:10:49 AM »

I am delighted and will gladly accept the honor of being one of the elder masters here on this board. 8-)

(even if it was the 70's rather than the 90's)

x

Your reference to the '70's made me think of an athletic type shirt that was popular at MU back in the '70's. It was dark blue with the class year in large uniform style gold numbers. They sold them at that independent bookstore next to Grebe's. Everyone had those damn things; hell, even I had one. 

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2014, 08:41:05 AM »
This is why I can no longer take you seriously. You think that a guy with back to back to back S16,S16, E8 seasons should give a crap if you and Willie Warrior are "miffed" about the lineup he chooses to play? Really? One last time. He didn't play Derrick 30 minutes a game because he owed him or wanted to egotistically tell the world F you. He was trying to win games and from what he saw (and the numbers bear him out) Derrick was the best of a lot of substandard options available. He tried John D, Jamil and Todd at the point, all to no avail. The numbers prove JD wasn't ready, and as Henry has pointed out in the past, a 10 mpg guy likely gets even LESS efficient with more PT. Your "we couldn't have been much worse with Dawson" may be right from a won/loss standpoint, I suppose. Buzz could have thrown in the towel, sat Derrick and turned those heartbreaking OT losses down the stretch into blow out losses, but he was still trying to win games.

You accuse me of being anti Dawson and saying he'll never be good. That's an outright lie. I think he could BECOME a very good player. But NO WAY was he ready as a freshman.
Lenny, Lenny, you are letting your BuzzJock glasses color your vision. There are plenty of people other than Ners and I "miffed" at Buzz's rotations. Yeah, you can say that Buzz was trying to win games with Derrick, but maybe, just maybe, he was just a stubborn jerk who would not admit he was wrong. Your opinion on that is no more valid than anybody else's. And I have seen several other people speak to Buzz's stubbornness. One big question which people will not answer: Why was Buzz pointed to the door? Other than a few "He wasn't", there is more to the story which we probably never know. The guy was a jerk--evidenced by his bad mouthing the new BEast, in which he got his ass kicked, when he was supposed to win it.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2014, 09:01:13 AM »
He wasn't "pointed to the door."  I think people just got tired of him.

I once had a guy who worked for me who was a real high performer.  But he was a challenge to manage.  He wanted things done his way all of the time, didn't get along great with his coworkers, etc.  But his work product was stellar.  For a time I was worried that if we lost him, we would be in serious trouble.

Well after a couple of years of this, the demands and the drama just wore on me and the rest of the staff.  I stopped trying to make him happy.  I stopped listening to him complain.  He ended up leaving and we are just fine.  I should have done it earlier.

I think that is pretty much what happened with Buzz and Marquette.