[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Todd Mayo is no longer with Marquette!  (Read 129948 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo is no longer with Marquette!
« Reply #150 on: July 31, 2014, 03:39:22 PM »
Yep....21 minutes as a freshman, and Buzz could only find 23 minutes a game for him as a junior, or 5 less minutes per game than the walk on in front of him...

Todd probably earned a little more rope due to his game at Wisconsin as a freshman - where he pretty much led us to the winner's circle.  Was so interesting to see Bo Ryan moving 3 different defenders onto Mayo - that game.

"A little more rope?"

So does "a little more rope" mean going on academic probation for a semester, coming back and still showing up late to class and having issues getting simple assignments done?

Does "a little more rope" mean being late to practice multiple times last year?

Does "a little more rope" mean being a senior, someone who would be looked upon to lead, and basically going AWOL this summer?

Buzz's biggest issue is that he kept Todd around.  He should have been gone after his freshman year.  It would have been better for Marquette, and probably for Todd, for him to have transferred to a JUCO or something at that point.  We could have used the scholarship elsewhere and team chemistry would have been much improved.

Stop banging on Buzz for how he used Mayo vis-a-vis Thomas last year.  In retrospect it is obvious...very obvious...why he made the decisions he did.

Black Swan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2014, 04:37:17 PM »
This is great news for Marquette basketball. Hopefully we have seen the last of "Todd Mayo type" people in this program. The only surprising thing here is that it took this long for him to be shown the door. I am very happy with the type of person that Wojo is recruiting. I suspect that these kids will work hard, listen and learn. Very good news.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »

"A little more rope?"

So does "a little more rope" mean going on academic probation for a semester, coming back and still showing up late to class and having issues getting simple assignments done?

Does "a little more rope" mean being late to practice multiple times last year?

Does "a little more rope" mean being a senior, someone who would be looked upon to lead, and basically going AWOL this summer?

Buzz's biggest issue is that he kept Todd around.  He should have been gone after his freshman year.  It would have been better for Marquette, and probably for Todd, for him to have transferred to a JUCO or something at that point.  We could have used the scholarship elsewhere and team chemistry would have been much improved.

Stop banging on Buzz for how he used Mayo vis-a-vis Thomas last year.  In retrospect it is obvious...very obvious...why he made the decisions he did.

Buzz recruited Todd to Marquette, okay?  Buzz was responsible for him being on campus.  Buzz needed to figure out a way to make it work.  And so, you are suggesting Buzz should have turned his back on Todd at the first hint of trouble/struggle?  Did you ever make mistakes as a 19-22 year old?  Let me guess, probably not?  LOL.  And let me guess, your childhood was so similar to Todd's, right?  Moving all over, 4 different high schools, no father figure in your life?

I am curious why you defended Vander so profusely, yet had such an issue with Todd. They aren't a whole lot different in any way, shape or form.  Todd never punched another student or got charged with any law breaking offenses at MU. Vander?  Nope.  Assault.  Yet you defended Vander all along during his MU career?  Why?

I don't fault Buzz for trying to stick with Todd....as his issues were generally things that harmed Todd, and Todd alone.  Struggling academically, after going to 4 different high schools in 4 years is to be expected.  Being late a few times to practice or class??  Wow.  Felony type stuff right there Sultan.  Self Righteous much?

And as for Buzz's usage of Jake over Todd?  NO, Jake Thomas should not have played more minutes than Todd Mayo..regardless of if Todd was late to practice.  Clarify though you mention Todd was late to practice multiple times?  Yet he got suspended for the one game he was late the week prior...Wisconsin.  So Buzz didn't stay consistent and suspend Todd for other games when he was late to practice prior to the game?  Seems odd...if he was late "multiple" times.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #153 on: July 31, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
Buzz recruited Todd to Marquette, okay?  Buzz was responsible for him being on campus.  Buzz needed to figure out a way to make it work.  And so, you are suggesting Buzz should have turned his back on Todd at the first hint of trouble/struggle?  Did you ever make mistakes as a 19-22 year old?  Let me guess, probably not?  LOL.  And let me guess, your childhood was so similar to Todd's, right?  Moving all over, 4 different high schools, no father figure in your life?

I am curious why you defended Vander so profusely, yet had such an issue with Todd. They aren't a whole lot different in any way, shape or form.  Todd never punched another student or got charged with any law breaking offenses at MU. Vander?  Nope.  Assault.  Yet you defended Vander all along during his MU career?  Why?

I don't fault Buzz for trying to stick with Todd....as his issues were generally things that harmed Todd, and Todd alone.  Struggling academically, after going to 4 different high schools in 4 years is to be expected.  Being late a few times to practice or class??  Wow.  Felony type stuff right there Sultan.  Self Righteous much?

And as for Buzz's usage of Jake over Todd?  NO, Jake Thomas should not have played more minutes than Todd Mayo..regardless of if Todd was late to practice.  Clarify though you mention Todd was late to practice multiple times?  Yet he got suspended for the one game he was late the week prior...Wisconsin.  So Buzz didn't stay consistent and suspend Todd for other games when he was late to practice prior to the game?  Seems odd...if he was late "multiple" times.

I agree with your first the paragraphs but not your last one. What motivation does any player have to follow the coach's directions if someone breaking those rules isn't disciplined for it? It may sacrifice weeks in the short term, but it gains them in the long term because players will buy into the coach's decisions and (in theory) play better.

I also think Jake getting as many minutes as he did was a necessary evil. Defenses already filled the lane enough. Jake was the only one who had enough consistent range to spread them out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2014, 05:36:21 PM »
There is so much Ners to wade through here....but I'll give it a go.

First, being academically ineligible isn't "the first hint of trouble."  It was the tip of the iceberg.  His habits were poor when he got to MU and continued his freshman year.  Yeah, being at four high schools certainly didn't help, but this is Marquette...not some JUCO.  Marquette isn't a rehab school for bad students.  It is a fairly decent, nationally ranked university.  He probably shouldn't have been here in the first place.

Second, of course I got into trouble.  But I was never on academic probation, and I can count the number of classes I missed on one hand.  Furthermore, I wasn't receiving a full tuition scholarship for playing a sport.  That is a privilege.  It requires you to do your part.  To be part of the team.  To show up on time.  To work in the classroom.

Third, Vander's issues all happened his first semester on campus.  Since then he was academically eligible, and to my knowledge never late to a practice.  You continuously attempt to compare the two, but in retrospect they simply aren't comparable.

And finally, you bang on me for not knowing basketball, let you basically just said that you would play a guy who was late to practice and a poor teammate.  Holy crap.  Fine.  Good luck with that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »

First, being academically ineligible isn't "the first hint of trouble."  It was the tip of the iceberg.  His habits were poor when he got to MU and continued his freshman year.  Yeah, being at four high schools certainly didn't help, but this is Marquette...not some JUCO.  Marquette isn't a rehab school for bad students.  It is a fairly decent, nationally ranked university.  He probably shouldn't have been here in the first place.

Second, of course I got into trouble.  But I was never on academic probation, and I can count the number of classes I missed on one hand.  Furthermore, I wasn't receiving a full tuition scholarship for playing a sport.  That is a privilege.  It requires you to do your part.  To be part of the team.  To show up on time.  To work in the classroom.

Third, Vander's issues all happened his first semester on campus.  Since then he was academically eligible, and to my knowledge never late to a practice.  You continuously attempt to compare the two, but in retrospect they simply aren't comparable.

And finally, you bang on me for not knowing basketball, let you basically just said that you would play a guy who was late to practice and a poor teammate.  Holy crap.  Fine.  Good luck with that.

He played for his high school varsity team Sultan.  Don't question his basketball knowledge.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #156 on: July 31, 2014, 06:23:36 PM »
I can count the number of classes I missed on one hand.  

well, that's only because that sonuvabitch Horton Roe took attendance!!

Death on call

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #157 on: July 31, 2014, 07:18:47 PM »
NBA GM's are not drafting 24 year old seniors unless their world beaters or can contribute to a franchise....

Todd didn't start over Jake Thomas... LMFAO Jake Thomas are you kidding me. He has 0% chance of playing in the NBA.

Nevada- WTF is the point of your response to my post?  I never said I think he'll play in the NBA, I made clear quite the opposite is my opinion, he can't play, and that's why the NBA won't consider him.  It's nothing to do with his age that they won't look at him.  Plus, the bold part is the point I was already making.  

CJ Wilcox will be 24 years old before next January 1, yet the Clippers took him in the FIRST round this year, which proves my point that the NBA is not going to shun any player just because a guy is already 23,24 years old when they enter the league.  Is CJ Wilcox being considered the second coming of Lebron?  Of course not, but the NBA people believe he has the game to play at their level.  Period, end of story.  Other than injuries, or character issues, a guy isn't getting passed over completely by the league simply because he's at the ripe old age of 23 or 24!!!  It may drop them a few rungs lower, but won't turn the NBA off based on that alone.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:54:32 PM by HutchwasClutch »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2014, 09:31:49 PM »

LOL - Laughable.  Still waiting for you to answer the question - If Todd got suspended for the arguably the biggest game of the season at Wisconsin for being late to practice - then why if he was late MULTIPLE times as you post, was he not then suspended for future games?  Inconsistent discipline on Buzz's part?

And regarding academics - guess what - all things don't come equally for different people in the academic setting.  Todd's upbringing made it that much more difficult for him to succeed academically.  Pretty sure Vander Blue went to 4 years of high school at Madison Memorial, no?  And let's face it, exceptions to admissions standards are made all across the country for talented basketball and football players.  So please, spare me the "It's a fairly decent nationally ranked university" crap. 

He played for his high school varsity team Sultan.  Don't question his basketball knowledge.

Nice Wades  -your basketball "knowledge" is on display comically here 365 days a year.  So now that we lost our 3 leading scorers from last year and have no bigs...considering you feel last year's team wasn't poorly coached by Buzz - what are you going to say when we are better than 17-15 this upcoming season with virtually no big men, and losing our 3 returning leading scorers and over 25 years of experience in the program?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2014, 09:43:52 PM »
And regarding academics - guess what - all things don't come equally for different people in the academic setting.  Todd's upbringing made it that much more difficult for him to succeed academically.  Pretty sure Vander Blue went to 4 years of high school at Madison Memorial, no?  And let's face it, exceptions to admissions standards are made all across the country for talented basketball and football players.  So please, spare me the "It's a fairly decent nationally ranked university" crap. 

We aren't talking about admission standards, we are talking about what they do when they are here.  Todd repeatedly showed that he either didn't have the aptitude, or the desire, to handle Marquette's academics.

So what exactly do you want Marquette to do? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2014, 10:37:17 PM »
Nice Wades  -your basketball "knowledge" is on display comically here 365 days a year.  So now that we lost our 3 leading scorers from last year and have no bigs...considering you feel last year's team wasn't poorly coached by Buzz - what are you going to say when we are better than 17-15 this upcoming season with virtually no big men, and losing our 3 returning leading scorers and over 25 years of experience in the program?

This is dumb even for you.  You mean teams graduate players year to year and sometimes get better?  Weird.  After graduating Jae Crowder and DJO, our 2 best players, 2 of the best players to play at Marquette in the last 20 years, we went from being a 2nd place BE team and S16 team to a BE champion and E8 team the next year.  How could that possibly happen Ners?

It's called player development kid.  I know you don't understand the idea that players actually get better outside of the 40 minutes of game time 30 times a year, but they actually do.  In fact, our players are hard at work getting better every day this summer, hitting the weight room, developing their skills in off season workouts, working on conditioning, fine tuning their fundamentals, etc.  As our very own Al McGuire once said, "The best thing about freshman is that they become sophomores."  I understand that you think a player can't get better from year to year, especially if they aren't getting 1,200 minutes of game time in a season, but the best coach in Marquette basketball history believed it.  But what does he know?  Ners played varsity high school basketball and players don't develop outside of games!

So to answer the question:
1) Player development (you will see, even players who didn't play 40 minutes/game can improve with an offseason and some practice).
2) Health.
3) New players on the roster.

I don't know how this is hard to understand.  But hey, what do I know, you played varsity basketball in high school and can still dunk.  They call you LBJ.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:39:09 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2014, 10:52:05 PM »
Nevada- WTF is the point of your response to my post?  I never said I think he'll play in the NBA, I made clear quite the opposite is my opinion, he can't play, and that's why the NBA won't consider him.  It's nothing to do with his age that they won't look at him.  Plus, the bold part is the point I was already making.  

CJ Wilcox will be 24 years old before next January 1, yet the Clippers took him in the FIRST round this year, which proves my point that the NBA is not going to shun any player just because a guy is already 23,24 years old when they enter the league.  Is CJ Wilcox being considered the second coming of Lebron?  Of course not, but the NBA people believe he has the game to play at their level.  Period, end of story.  Other than injuries, or character issues, a guy isn't getting passed over completely by the league simply because he's at the ripe old age of 23 or 24!!!  It may drop them a few rungs lower, but won't turn the NBA off based on that alone.

We agree todd mayo does not have next level talent..

That mixed with his baggage will never have him in the league.

Anyone around him even his brother can tell him hes got no chance. But I agree with you.

If you got the Goods and are 23,24 you can make a roster but not a player who didnt even start at last years 17-15 Marquette.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:16:47 PM by Nevada233 »

brandx

« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2014, 11:00:41 PM »
We agree todd mayo have next level talent..

That mixed with his baggage will never have him in the league.

Anyone around him even his brother can tell him hes got no chance. But I agree with you.

If you got the Goods and are 23,24 you can make a roster but not a player who didnt even start at last years 17-15 Marquette.

No we don't. He has never shown an NBA skillset.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2014, 11:17:36 PM »
No we don't. He has never shown an NBA skillset.

I surely meant does not have.... NBA Talent.

Europe at best.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2014, 11:53:40 PM »

I am curious why you defended Vander so profusely, yet had such an issue with Todd. They aren't a whole lot different in any way, shape or form.  Todd never punched another student or got charged with any law breaking offenses at MU. Vander?  Nope.  Assaiult.  Yet you defended Vander all along during his MU career? 

I punched multiple people in the face when I was at Marquette. Everyone of them deserved it.

But I NEVER acted like I was bigger than the program. Todd Mayo did. Vander didn't.

I wish Todd the best of luck, though I really do. I just don't think Marquette was the right fit for him. It happens. 
We Are Marquette

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2014, 12:16:10 AM »
I punched multiple people in the face when I was at Marquette. Everyone of them deserved it.

But I NEVER acted like I was bigger than the program. Todd Mayo did. Vander didn't.

I wish Todd the best of luck, though I really do. I just don't think Marquette was the right fit for him. It happens.  

Fighting's bad  
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2014, 01:59:21 AM »
Again, reminding you all that you are acting just as toolish as Todd has by ripping the kid. This is why scoop really pisses me off. A month ago he was going to be a 18 ppg scorer for MU now that hes gone all of these stories about how horrible a person he was come out. Now I know some stories about Todd myself but again, wish him nothing but the best in his endevors. Some of your REALLY disgust me with your comments.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2014, 05:17:45 AM »
I can count the number of classes I missed on one hand.

Me too.

I can count the number of classes I missed per week on one hand.

OK, maybe two hands.

Jeezus H ... how the hell did I graduate?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2014, 05:18:40 AM »
Alternatively, he has a bad case of sibling rivalry and thinks he's better than OJ.

Proof?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2014, 06:26:01 AM »
Where did you get this?  Is this from a source in the program or are you just assuming this is what happened?
Not an assumption. Mayo basically went AWOL and was told he was no longer on team when he did report.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2014, 07:39:28 AM »
This is dumb even for you.  You mean teams graduate players year to year and sometimes get better?  Weird.  After graduating Jae Crowder and DJO, our 2 best players, 2 of the best players to play at Marquette in the last 20 years, we went from being a 2nd place BE team and S16 team to a BE champion and E8 team the next year.  How could that possibly happen Ners?

It's called player development kid.  I know you don't understand the idea that players actually get better outside of the 40 minutes of game time 30 times a year, but they actually do.  In fact, our players are hard at work getting better every day this summer, hitting the weight room, developing their skills in off season workouts, working on conditioning, fine tuning their fundamentals, etc.  As our very own Al McGuire once said, "The best thing about freshman is that they become sophomores."  I understand that you think a player can't get better from year to year, especially if they aren't getting 1,200 minutes of game time in a season, but the best coach in Marquette basketball history believed it.  But what does he know?  Ners played varsity high school basketball and players don't develop outside of games!

So to answer the question:
1) Player development (you will see, even players who didn't play 40 minutes/game can improve with an offseason and some practice).
2) Health.
3) New players on the roster.

I don't know how this is hard to understand.  But hey, what do I know, you played varsity basketball in high school and can still dunk.  They call you LBJ.

You are a weird dude Wades.  I'm trying to figure out what you really believe.  You said in another thread, even if we had a space clogging big, that wasn't even a threat to score offensively - you'd think we might have a chance at the postseason....sounded to me like your expectation for the team this year is to miss the NIT again....

Trying to follow your logic, when last season we had a space eating big, AND a very efficient and effective scoring big, and you are convinced bigs are necessary to win at a high level in D-1 - yet we had them last season...and how did that work out?  What happened?  Where do you attribute blame for the poor season last season?  We all know you didn't assign blame in the backcourt, nor with Buzz - just trying to follow how you see the game?

And as for your 1, 2 and 3 reasons listed above.  Only 1 is valid - yes, players do get better in the offseason...yet, when the guys in front of them as freshman are so incredibly non-productive - the better course of action would have been to get the freshman more game experience and playing together for the future of the program.  Then again, Buzz didn't really care about that, because he was gone.  Please don't give me the garbage about "health."  MU was healthy all season long - perhaps other than Steve Taylor.  And as for new players on the roster - sorry, but Sandy Cohen and Matt Carlino, aren't exactly great replacements for Todd, Jamil, Davante, Chris, and even throw in Jake if you want.

However, what you will find this upcoming season, is that our backcourt play should be greatly improved, and with that alone the team will be able to exceed 17-15.

And btw, let me guess, you were in band in high school?  Or were you the water boy for the basketball team?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2014, 07:52:31 AM »
You are a weird dude Wades.  I'm trying to figure out what you really believe.  You said in another thread, even if we had a space clogging big, that wasn't even a threat to score offensively - you'd think we might have a chance at the postseason....sounded to me like your expectation for the team this year is to miss the NIT again....

Trying to follow your logic, when last season we had a space eating big, AND a very efficient and effective scoring big, and you are convinced bigs are necessary to win at a high level in D-1 - yet we had them last season...and how did that work out?  What happened?  Where do you attribute blame for the poor season last season?  We all know you didn't assign blame in the backcourt, nor with Buzz - just trying to follow how you see the game?

And as for your 1, 2 and 3 reasons listed above.  Only 1 is valid - yes, players do get better in the offseason...yet, when the guys in front of them as freshman are so incredibly non-productive - the better course of action would have been to get the freshman more game experience and playing together for the future of the program.  Then again, Buzz didn't really care about that, because he was gone.  Please don't give me the garbage about "health."  MU was healthy all season long - perhaps other than Steve Taylor.  And as for new players on the roster - sorry, but Sandy Cohen and Matt Carlino, aren't exactly great replacements for Todd, Jamil, Davante, Chris, and even throw in Jake if you want.

However, what you will find this upcoming season, is that our backcourt play should be greatly improved, and with that alone the team will be able to exceed 17-15.

And btw, let me guess, you were in band in high school?  Or were you the water boy for the basketball team?

Ners that is my fault on not clarifying.  I don't think a dominant big is necessary to win.  I just think having a 6'7" kid who is truly a wing as your center is not a recipe for success.  If Steve was a Jae Crowder type who was an animal down low and ate up every rebound despite being undersized, I would be more confident.  Steve has shown some ability to rebound and I hope he proves to be a stud down low, but I think he is more a wing than a big who this year will have to play like a big.  And if he gets into foul trouble that moves 6'4" Deonte Burton to the center spot.  I know Deonte can hold his own in the post, he is a freaking ox, but ANY 6'4" guy will struggle to keep a 6'10"-7' from getting some clean looks down low.

As far as health goes, I don't know about you, but I personally thought the loss of Duane Wilson to injury last year was a pretty big deal.  Maybe I'm wrong there and he stinks.

Matt Carlino is a great replacement.  He's exactly what last year's team was missing.  A senior who is willing to step up and take a big shot.  We will be much better in the back court with Carlino, a healthy Wilson, and a year in the weight room and gym for the other guys.

Buzz is at fault last year...not for playing the wrong guys, but for not getting the right guys on the roster.  I have never argued Derrick was a complete stud.  He was the best option for what we had on the roster last year.  It's not hard to understand.  I have said it over and over and over and over.  Maybe you will understand it this time.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2014, 08:05:14 AM »
Ners that is my fault on not clarifying.  I don't think a dominant big is necessary to win.  I just think having a 6'7" kid who is truly a wing as your center is not a recipe for success.  If Steve was a Jae Crowder type who was an animal down low and ate up every rebound despite being undersized, I would be more confident.  Steve has shown some ability to rebound and I hope he proves to be a stud down low, but I think he is more a wing than a big who this year will have to play like a big.  And if he gets into foul trouble that moves 6'4" Deonte Burton to the center spot.  I know Deonte can hold his own in the post, he is a freaking ox, but ANY 6'4" guy will struggle to keep a 6'10"-7' from getting some clean looks down low.

As far as health goes, I don't know about you, but I personally thought the loss of Duane Wilson to injury last year was a pretty big deal.  Maybe I'm wrong there and he stinks.

Matt Carlino is a great replacement.  He's exactly what last year's team was missing.  A senior who is willing to step up and take a big shot.  We will be much better in the back court with Carlino, a healthy Wilson, and a year in the weight room and gym for the other guys.

Buzz is at fault last year...not for playing the wrong guys, but for not getting the right guys on the roster.  I have never argued Derrick was a complete stud.  He was the best option for what we had on the roster last year.  It's not hard to understand.  I have said it over and over and over and over.  Maybe you will understand it this time.

Yes, I can agree with you that Jae Crowder was a stud at this level.  Also know the team of midgets and Lazar made the NCAA...much less not missing the NIT.  Guard play is key.  Buzz chose to play the most limited combination* of guards I've ever seen at this level max minutes last season.  My point all along last year, and one that you and the other few can't seem to grasp is:  It wasn't going to get worse playing Dawson and JJJ in place of Derrick and Jake 20 minutes a game...and Burton in place of Juan for 25 minutes a game.

And as for Duane being out last season, I really, really, really doubt that Buzz would have given him 30 minutes a game.  Deonte couldn't exceed 12 and he virtually dominated every game he was put in.  And, it was pretty well known that Duane was struggling in practice early on.  Not one of the returning players cited him as the most impressive newcomer.  Deonte and Dawson were the two players named by the vets.  I'm excited about what Duane can bring to the team, yet I'd be shocked if Buzz would have somehow rolled him out last season for 30.

Last point on that - You may recall Buzz basically saying in 2012-2013 season:  "Derrick really, should be starting over Junior, but Junior is my guy, and a senior, and I told Derrick - I'm going to roll with Junior, but I'll do the same for you next season."

Well....Buzz proved to be a man of his word in that account.  And I also think Buzz knew a large part of the fanbase was beyond miffed with his choice in the backcourt - and he egotistically either felt he was a good enough coach to win and overcome that and could give those critical of him in the fanbase a big F You - or, if he didn't win, it was still an F You, I'm in control here and this is my team.....and my bags are pretty much packed anyway.

I loved Buzz Years 1 through 5 and though he was a very good coach.  Yet his decision making last season was so poor, and so contrary to being a good coach - that is why I turned on him.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing..and damn well know Buzz knew better, and knew it was going to be really hard to win with those guys.  The program and team could have benefitted if he turned the keys over to the talented freshman class.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:28:07 AM by Ners »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2014, 08:15:13 AM »
Steve has shown some ability to rebound and I hope he proves to be a stud down low, but I think he is more a wing than a big who this year will have to play like a big.  And if he gets into foul trouble that moves 6'4" Deonte Burton to the center spot.  I know Deonte can hold his own in the post, he is a freaking ox, but ANY 6'4" guy will struggle to keep a 6'10"-7' from getting some clean looks down low.

The best way to deal with a size disadvantage is for the guards to make the entry pass difficult. I think we'll see a very aggressive man defense with some pressure. The biggest key for them to get through the first 8 games is rebounding. Steve, Juan, and Deonte have to hit the glass hard. Guards will have to chip in as well.

It will be difficult, but not impossible for this team. Still have a hunch they surprise us.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2014, 08:17:31 AM »
 It is a fairly decent, nationally ranked university.  

How dare you, sir. We are the Duke of the Midwest!
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.