'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Todd Mayo is no longer with Marquette!  (Read 129956 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo is no longer with Marquette!
« Reply #125 on: July 31, 2014, 10:17:53 AM »
  Buzz always had Todd on a short leash in games...one mistake and it was to the bench...and it killed Mayo's production.  .

According to that PT recap today Bart played him over 21 mpg as a freshman, the most of any frosh under Bart

River rat

• Team Captain
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »
Yes the back court was bereft of scorers and we have added whom?  Cohen, carlino?, and Wilson?  two guys who have never played a D1 game and a adequate player from BYU?  
i greatly disagree, those guys may do well but they are hardly proven replacements, especially early on against a really tuff pre-con schedule
A pre- tuned MAyo playing at the level he did in the second half of last years season would have been a huge boost that could have carried us over in many games just like it did last year...

per Paint touches....Mayo finishes the year averaging 15.7 points over his final 10 games. He leads a comeback in a win over Butler, plays almost-hero in a double-overtime loss at Providence and scores 20 or more points in the final three games

cleary just my opinion,but it hink peoples dislike of his body language jaded their feeling s about his game

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2014, 10:32:09 AM »
According to that PT recap today Bart played him over 21 mpg as a freshman, the most of any frosh under Bart

Yep....21 minutes as a freshman, and Buzz could only find 23 minutes a game for him as a junior, or 5 less minutes per game than the walk on in front of him...

Todd probably earned a little more rope due to his game at Wisconsin as a freshman - where he pretty much led us to the winner's circle.  Was so interesting to see Bo Ryan moving 3 different defenders onto Mayo - that game.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

tower912

• All American
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2014, 10:37:04 AM »
Todd had injury issues, late for practice issues, academic issues,  and if other reports are to be believed, being a good teammate issues.   It is a testament to Buzz's patience and rooting for the underdog that he was still on the team.    He averaged 15.7 pts over MU's last 10 games.  He could score.   BTW, what was MU's record over those games?  Did he make his teammates better?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2014, 10:40:24 AM »
The butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker...

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2014, 11:07:20 AM »
There is a lot more to this than we think. I wish Mr. Mayo well and hope he finds success in the D-League or overseas. My fear is that his advisors, like those of Vander Blue, have led him down a disappointing and dangerous path.

Alternatively, he has a bad case of sibling rivalry and thinks he's better than OJ.

I'm disappointed because I was hoping he would step up under Wojo and lead this team with the talent and ability we all think Todd had. That said, I also think the writing was on the wall for 2014-2015. We have so many guards that playing time was not guaranteed and nobody thought they owed Todd anything.

Good luck Todd. It's a tough world out there!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
Todd had injury issues, late for practice issues, academic issues,  and if other reports are to be believed, being a good teammate issues.   It is a testament to Buzz's patience and rooting for the underdog that he was still on the team.    He averaged 15.7 pts over MU's last 10 games.  He could score.   BTW, what was MU's record over those games?  Did he make his teammates better?

We should have won those last three (2OT @ Prov, 2OT vs. St. John's, @MSG vs. Xavier). Most frustrated I've ever been with Buzz (and I am/was a huge Buzz fan). Yanking his only scoring options as soon as they got on a roll. Mayo was the only reason we were even in that Providence game, he hit some MASSIVE shots. I wish I could get one of those memory erasers from Eternal Sunshine for those games. Oh well, onward and upward!

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2014, 11:35:03 AM »
Todd obviously was a strong offensive player who displayed an ability to perform when the game was on the line. That cannot be discounted. However, I think he played for himself most of the time. Given our weak back court last year, his self interest aligned with the team so we got those moments of brilliance. Also he was never a big assist guy and there was an opportunity for him to step up and create for others specifically Davante, which he did not do.

This is a new season and we have a new coach. Everything has been reset. The Triple Trio of JJJ, Deonte and Duane have just as much if not more talent than Todd and the new staff is giving them a chance. I am not sure Todd would have been a compatible player with them or Carlino. As he would have viewed this year as one long self showcase.

I think this is a classic case of addition by subtraction.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »
I will miss Todd next year.  I thought he appeared to be maturing as a student and a player.  I was optimistic that we were going to see close to, if not, his full potential next year.

Yes, he had academic and personal issues.  Lots of people do at his age.  Again, I thought he was heading towards the right trajectory. 

I am surprised at the timing of this.  I trust from others who have posted in this thread that this was unfortunately inevitable.  Sounds like he didn't make enough of a course correction after all. 

I'm just scratching my head mostly with the timing.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »
I will miss Todd next year.  I thought he appeared to be maturing as a student and a player.  I was optimistic that we were going to see close to, if not, his full potential next year.

Yes, he had academic and personal issues.  Lots of people do at his age.  Again, I thought he was heading towards the right trajectory. 

I am surprised at the timing of this.  I trust from others who have posted in this thread that this was unfortunately inevitable.  Sounds like he didn't make enough of a course correction after all. 

I'm just scratching my head mostly with the timing.

Yeah, same

Let's Go Warriors

• Team Captain
  • Lets Go Warriors(clap clap clap clap clap)...
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2014, 12:24:56 PM »
Yeah, same
Same for me.  I saw progress...

However, I tend to have a glass half full approach to almost every MU player ever.
Warrior As defined by Webster's:
A person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »
Yes the back court was bereft of scorers and we have added whom?  Cohen, carlino?, and Wilson?  two guys who have never played a D1 game and a adequate player from BYU?  
i greatly disagree, those guys may do well but they are hardly proven replacements, especially early on against a really tuff pre-con schedule
A pre- tuned MAyo playing at the level he did in the second half of last years season would have been a huge boost that could have carried us over in many games just like it did last year...

per Paint touches....Mayo finishes the year averaging 15.7 points over his final 10 games. He leads a comeback in a win over Butler, plays almost-hero in a double-overtime loss at Providence and scores 20 or more points in the final three games

cleary just my opinion,but it hink peoples dislike of his body language jaded their feeling s about his game

I think you make some valid points. Predicting how well Duane or Sandy will be is impossible because they have NOT played a single game yet. So, to make the assumption those two will be an uptick over Todd is premature at best.
Carlino will be fine and had we not added him we would be in a world of hurt. This is going to be a rough season with very little returning scoring. Wojo is going to have his work cut out for him.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2014, 12:44:53 PM »
I wish him the best. But the ceiling for a College Dropout trying to make a NBA team isnt high.

Markel Starks, Jahii Carson, Jamil Wilson all played more and arent in the league.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:46:43 PM by Nevada233 »

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2014, 01:10:58 PM »
Here's what I got...Mayo went AWOL all summer, nobody knew what he was up to, finally shows up yesterday and was told by Wojo that his services were no longer needed.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »
I've seen his age referenced a few times in this thread.  Give me a break, his being 23 now, 24 by next June would not be a "red flag" that you and others speak of.  The fact that his game is nowhere near good enough, consistent enough, is the red flag on him.  If a guy can play at an NBA level, you really think they're going to quibble about drafting a guy in his mid-20's to start his career?  Of course they're not going to.

NBA GM's are not drafting 24 year old seniors unless their world beaters or can contribute to a franchise....

Todd didn't start over Jake Thomas... LMFAO Jake Thomas are you kidding me. He has 0% chance of playing in the NBA.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2014, 01:16:45 PM »
Here's what I got...Mayo went AWOL all summer, nobody knew what he was up to, finally shows up yesterday and was told by Wojo that his services were no longer needed.

All of the underclassmen were working out and buying into wojo. Alot of them played in Milwuakees Pro Am (Todd played in Chicagos, Steve Taylor played in Chicago too but hes from there) and was looked at as an individual rather than a teammate. So he had to go. Word is not to many people (Players and Staff) are upset about his departure.

brandx

« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
NBA GM's are not drafting 24 year old seniors unless their world beaters or can contribute to a franchise....

Todd didn't start over Jake Thomas... LMFAO Jake Thomas are you kidding me. He has 0% chance of playing in the NBA.

+1

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2014, 02:15:16 PM »

I don't think he'll ever play in the NBA either, but the fact that Todd didn't start over Jake was more of an indicator of where Buzz' head was at last season than and indictment of Todd's ability.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2014, 02:20:39 PM »
Not to rehash too much, but as the story comes out about Todd as a teammate and a distraction, contrasted with Jake's reputation as being a good teammate and NOT a distraction, can there really be any doubt as to why Jake started?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »
Not to rehash too much, but as the story comes out about Todd as a teammate and a distraction, contrasted with Jake's reputation as being a good teammate and NOT a distraction, can there really be any doubt as to why Jake started?

Fine, I'll totally grant you that. It still has nothing to do with the raw talent level of the respective players (and I'm not a Jake hater).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
Fine, I'll totally grant you that. It still has nothing to do with the raw talent level of the respective players (and I'm not a Jake hater).

I 100% agree that Todd is a more talented player than Jake and would beat him 95 times out 100 1 on 1. 

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »

Where did you get this?  Is this from a source in the program or are you just assuming this is what happened?

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »

Indeed Todd Mayo is not winning any Sportsmanship Awards anytime soon. . Jake Thomas caused 0 distractions always showed up on time, passed his classes and wasnt a headache. So he started. Todd was the polar opposite, got sent home by brent for his issues also benched this year for showing up late to practice more than once.

At the end of the day Hard Work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

No one is saying Todd Can't play basketball..... But what I am saying is if im an NBA GM once I looked over his track record I would't take a risk on him.

You deal with headaches drama and etc from 17/18 year old lottery picks who can change your franchise not 23 year old non starters....

There isn't an NBA roster that he could start for or even contribute to at this point. None

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #148 on: July 31, 2014, 03:31:09 PM »
All of the underclassmen were working out and buying into wojo. Alot of them played in Milwuakees Pro Am (Todd played in Chicagos, Steve Taylor played in Chicago too but hes from there) and was looked at as an individual rather than a teammate. So he had to go. Word is not to many people (Players and Staff) are upset about his departure.

And Taylor wanted to play in Milwaukee, but he screwed up and registered in Chicago to play a game or two, not knowing that you can't register for two leagues.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #149 on: July 31, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »
Indeed Todd Mayo is not winning any Sportsmanship Awards anytime soon. . Jake Thomas caused 0 distractions always showed up on time, passed his classes and wasnt a headache. So he started. Todd was the polar opposite, got sent home by brent for his issues also benched this year for showing up late to practice more than once.

At the end of the day Hard Work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

No one is saying Todd Can't play basketball..... But what I am saying is if im an NBA GM once I looked over his track record I would't take a risk on him.

You deal with headaches drama and etc from 17/18 year old lottery picks who can change your franchise not 23 year old non starters....

There isn't an NBA roster that he could start for or even contribute to at this point. None

We do not disagree on his NBA prospects.

feedback