[Today at 10:37:58 AM]

Where is Marquette? by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by tower912
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Todd Mayo is no longer with Marquette!  (Read 129965 times)

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
Re: Todd Mayo is no longer with Marquette!
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2014, 09:10:36 PM »
Some real funny comments here from what was written a year ago about Mayo.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2014, 09:18:47 PM »

See I don't see how this makes any sense.  Todd leaving right after Wojo started, or even back in May, would have made more sense for both parties.  He gets to start off his professional career in the right way.  And MU can try to find someone to take his scholarship.

Now both the program and him are behind the eight ball.

there was a time to cure period

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »
I think this means we are officially in a rebuilding year next season. But it may make us better in 15-16. All in all, if we had to lose a player, mayo would be on the short list of candidates for me
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »
Some real funny comments here from what was written a year ago about Mayo.

I'm sure you could select a couple to masturbate over, but most people here aren't surprised.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2014, 09:28:32 PM »
I think Chico and I called this a while back...not sure this was voluntary...

Ding ding....April 6, 2014. 

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43711.msg613603#msg613603

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2014, 09:28:55 PM »
Anyone wanna speculate when mikehunt reports this chit?

He already did so.  Said Todd it was "likely" that Todd would be playing in Europe.  Good chit as always from Mike Hunt.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2014, 09:29:43 PM »
So, he wasn't Creaned and he wasn't Buzz Cut, was he told to find a new house key?

Reverse Buzz Cut.   Some will know what I mean by that statement.  LW is chuckling somewhere.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »
So, he wasn't Creaned and he wasn't Buzz Cut, was he told to find a new house key?

Um ... WoJobbed?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »

See I don't see how this makes any sense.  Todd leaving right after Wojo started, or even back in May, would have made more sense for both parties.  He gets to start off his professional career in the right way.  And MU can try to find someone to take his scholarship.

Perhaps he needed the summer semesters in order to leave in good academic standing...?  That's what makes sense to me.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »
Perhaps he needed the summer semesters in order to leave in good academic standing...?  That's what makes sense to me.

He only took part in 1 session.  And I doubt Todd had any care about whether he was leaving MU in good academic standing or not.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
Perhaps he needed the summer semesters in order to leave in good academic standing...?  That's what makes sense to me.

That makes sense from MU's point of view (APR score), but why would that make sense from Todd's?  Is he going to finish his degree?

And is it worth it to forego pre draft camps, team tryouts, and a spot in the summer league?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2014, 10:01:06 PM »
Mayo's departure is a direct result of the moves last year to be eligible for the 2nd semester.

Recall midway through the first semester last year that he was declared ineligible according to NCAA rules. When that happens mid semester, its not a GPA issue--because the GPA isn't reported mid-semester. The most likely reason was that he dropped course load below the NCAA mandated minimum (6 or 12 credits--I can't recall which applied). That kept him out of the lineup first semester, but the move preserved the GPA in his remaining courses so he'd be eligible the 2nd semester.

The problem (which we all should have foreseen) was that Todd would have to carry a heavier course load 2nd semester and over the summer in order to reach the 60% of his degree to show academic progress--per the NCAA, you need to complete 60% of the credits required for a degree to be eligible as a senior. 

Having dropped a bunch of courses in the fall of his junior year, and probably not having taken a heavy load prior to that point, getting to that 60% mark before the fall 2014 semester began was likely a difficult proposition at best--and now that we're well into the summer term, likely realized it was impossible.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2014, 10:17:11 PM »
Mayo's departure is a direct result of the moves last year to be eligible for the 2nd semester.

Recall midway through the first semester last year that he was declared ineligible according to NCAA rules. When that happens mid semester, its not a GPA issue--because the GPA isn't reported mid-semester. The most likely reason was that he dropped course load below the NCAA mandated minimum (6 or 12 credits--I can't recall which applied). That kept him out of the lineup first semester, but the move preserved the GPA in his remaining courses so he'd be eligible the 2nd semester.

The problem (which we all should have foreseen) was that Todd would have to carry a heavier course load 2nd semester and over the summer in order to reach the 60% of his degree to show academic progress--per the NCAA, you need to complete 60% of the credits required for a degree to be eligible as a senior. 

Having dropped a bunch of courses in the fall of his junior year, and probably not having taken a heavy load prior to that point, getting to that 60% mark before the fall 2014 semester began was likely a difficult proposition at best--and now that we're well into the summer term, likely realized it was impossible.

That was sophomore year, not junior year. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/marquette-todd-mayo-academically-ineligible-latest-mishap-o-180725492--ncaab.html

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2014, 10:32:59 PM »
Don't know anything about team chemistry, relationship with Buzz, etc. Was counting on him for some O this year. He had some great moments - I think it was at the Jimmy V vs. UW when he had a thunderous jam. There was a game or two last year when he was the force. Best post I've seen on Todd referred to the unfulfilled potential - it's oh, so true. Good luck, Todd, but I don't see big things in your Bball future. I think this makes this year a "bridge year" but it's probably a step in Wojo's Dukification of MU.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2014, 10:37:46 PM »
Todd is 23 years old and will be 24 by the end of this NCAA season. Which is a huge red flag for NBA Gm's.

Todd also was not the prototypical Wojo recruit, he also felt entitled for the team to be ran through him this year and that wasnt gonna happen so it was his time to go.

Lets not be silly and think hes gonna be on a NBA roster any time soon but he did have some talent.

That armed with a super rich nba brother makes leaving school an easy decision.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2014, 10:48:43 PM »

I follow and agree with your logic.  The fact that Todd waited (?) until now is irrational and apparently consistent with his prior behavior.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2014, 10:57:26 PM »
I follow and agree with your logic.  The fact that Todd waited (?) until now is irrational and apparently consistent with his prior behavior.

Think more broadly....LW...Buzz...Mayo.   

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2014, 11:05:11 PM »
Todd is 23 years old and will be 24 by the end of this NCAA season. Which is a huge red flag for NBA Gm's.

Lets not be silly and think hes gonna be on a NBA roster any time soon but he did have some talent.

I've seen his age referenced a few times in this thread.  Give me a break, his being 23 now, 24 by next June would not be a "red flag" that you and others speak of.  The fact that his game is nowhere near good enough, consistent enough, is the red flag on him.  If a guy can play at an NBA level, you really think they're going to quibble about drafting a guy in his mid-20's to start his career?  Of course they're not going to.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2014, 11:14:51 PM »
My take on this is that Mayo realized that Wojo was not going to start him and that led to him quitting. As I said before everyone is happy with Wojo until they find out they are not starting or not playing much. To be honest the player I was worried the most about being unhappy with this year's playing time was JJJ. With Mayo leaving that gives a lot more opportunity to JJJ and I am happy with that.

You were worried about him being unhappy?!?  Is this CYO basketball we're following?  Whether Mayo would have stayed, or now that he's going, the onus is on Johnson alone to show whether or not he can play and contribute at this level.   And if he can play, he would/will find his way to minutes and a role.  Guys with talent are going to force coaches into giving them minutes.  Plus, there were only 10 other eligible players besides Johnson before Mayo left. 

I want Johnson to succeed like all of our players, and he obviously will get more opportunity now, but with or without Mayo's presence this year, JJJ will get his opportunity regardless.  Plus, as I stated, if a guy can play, a coach will find a way to get him in there. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2014, 11:18:13 PM »
It's not the right decision, but you gotta get what's yours. Best of luck to Todd personally and professionally. Hope he keeps himself out of trouble and can be a player and person Marquette is proud to own.

In related news, who here is happy that we have Wojo and were able to keep JJJ?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2014, 11:24:27 PM »
All these comments that are ripping Todd a new one disgust me. Yea he made some mistakes but you shouldn't be mad at him. He did nothing to you Personally. I wish the best of luck to Todd wherever he ends up.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2014, 11:33:32 PM »
Think more broadly....LW...Buzz...Mayo.   

Ok.  OK.  In my defense, I've been drinking Kiltlifters.   :)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2014, 11:35:59 PM »

Hopefully, in your defense, you are drinking that superb Scotch Ale from Pike Brewing and not that sludge from Four Peaks...

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2014, 11:58:54 PM »

Speaking of Kilts, saw the Outlander premier the other day for Starz down in San Diego...if you read the books you would get the kilt reference.  Pretty good series.

For Mayo...hope he does well in his new endeavors.  Also hope he has the good sense of just moving on, otherwise someone in Blacksburg might feel warm under the collar.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2014, 12:53:38 AM »
Mayo has always been very inconsistent and I don't think this will be too much of a loss. I'm actually excited he's leaving, as it opens the door for more playing time for JJJ. I now think JJJ is going to lead this team in scoring next year...he's a stud and I think we are all going to think of this as a blessing in disguise very early on next season.