[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Mayo is no longer with Marquette!  (Read 130606 times)

Nevada233

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo is no longer with Marquette!
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »
"Todd Mayo is a player we needed to sign to compete for an NBA Championship...."

Said Nobody

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 05:57:40 PM »
Seems a little odd that yesterday he tweeted this:

But, who knows how quickly things can change.  That said, guess I'll be slightly skeptical until it is officially announced.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/073014aab.html

Official enough?  Good riddance Toddler.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »
I certainly wont miss a Career 8 PPG scorer.....

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »
Welp...that didn't last long: http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/073014aab.html

Still--makes me wonder what happened between his tweet yesterday and today.  

Guess it depends who "we" referred to in that tweet. Seems like his decision was made (or made for him) and nothing changed.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
While I do believe this is a significant setback for this coming season (how many players do we now have eligible - 9? 10?), as Todd provided scoring and even leadership, it forces the young kids to play more.  JaJuan gets more minutes, Duane gets more minutes, Cohen gets more (if any) minutes.  The only player on the roster that had more than one Stud of the Game last year is now Steve Taylor (w/2).

Hopefully, Deonte and Duane become the vocal leaders the team needs.

With that being said, the one concept that comes to mind when I now think of Todd is wasted unfulfilled potential.  There were always glimpses of something really special, but all the pistons never fired.  Whether it was academics, attitude, character, or circumstance, Todd never really got to show us what he had.  Unfortunate.

Best of luck to him.

brandx

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 06:04:01 PM »
He'll have a pro career. My not be an NBA career, but he will play and get paid to do so. Like Vander before him, I think we will continue to see more and more of this. Instead of going to class, following rules, etc. when everyone knows a huge percentage of these guys are only there to play basketball, they can instead go play basketball, and get paid to do it. Is that degree worth something down the road? Sure, but I completely get these decisions (assuming they're voluntary). They don't want to go to school, they want to play ball. Go ahead and get the degree later if you want.

The difference with Mayo - as opposed to high school kids - is that there will probably be a market for him in Europe.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 06:05:32 PM »
Guess it depends who "we" referred to in that tweet. Seems like his decision was made (or made for him) and nothing changed.

True, now that I re-read it, could be that he was actually saying "goodbye" to his teammates: Its been great, but time for new challenges, etc.

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/073014aab.html

Official enough?  Good riddance Toddler.

Yup--that's why I posted the link above.  Oh well--I was hoping that Todd could finally show the consistency this year and become a leader, but maybe he just wasn't built for that.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 06:07:49 PM »
 @GoodmanESPN @David_Harten You really expected Mayo to play a game for Wojo?  There was NO shot of that. None.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 06:09:05 PM »
I know it has been alluded to, but what was the "situation" with Todd and Buzz?  Did they get along or was there animosity?  

I always felt that Todd was a Buzz prototypical player (chip on shoulder, extremely athletic, etc.).  Didn't see him really fitting in with Wojo and his new style.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »
"Live by the Mayo, die by the Mayo" no longer...

brandx

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 06:12:50 PM »
Couple of '14 players back on the open market today - Ray Kasongo - 6'7" power forward who supposedly qualified grade-wise and Jaquan Lyles may not be admitted as well.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 06:17:40 PM »
Color me shocked that he's in good academic standing.
Given goodman's tweet saying mayo would have next to no playing time, I'm Taking solace in the fact that This is proof that wojo isn't going to do what buzz did and just play crapty players because they were seniors

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 06:23:38 PM »
Given goodman's tweet saying mayo would have next to no playing time, I'm Taking solace in the fact that This is proof that wojo isn't going to do what buzz did and just play crapty players because they were seniors

I don't think you understood what Goodman was saying.......it had nothing to do with his ability.....

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 06:25:40 PM »
I don't think you are reading the same Goodman tweet as others?  Or maybe grossly misinterpreting it...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 06:25:55 PM »
We all knew this was coming from the day we first noticed the WVU tattoo.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
Here's some Paint Touches tweets for those not on Twitter:

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  1m
In his last three MU games, Mayo averaged 22.3 points, 5.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists. 53% from 3. #mubb

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  7m
Lastly, Mayo has a lot of Dwight Buycks in him. Pro setting should open up a lot of things for him. Intrigued to see what happens....

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  11m
Hearing Marquette's '14-15 roster likely set. Not expecting anyone else to arrive (not surprising this late in the summer) to replace TM.

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  12m
After sitting behind DJO, Blue and Thomas for 3 years, was really intrigued to see what Mayo could do as the go-to guy.

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  18m
A source I spoke with last year was "amazed" Mayo had made it this far at MU with all his off-the-court incidents.

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  22m
Hm.. RT @GoodmanESPN @David_Harten You really expected Mayo to play a game for Wojo?  There was NO shot of that. None.

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  25m
Carlino's and Duane Wilson's ability to play off the ball as perimeter threats will help, but this is a big loss no matter how you slice it.

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  26m
Your table is ready, Jajuan Johnson.

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  27m
It is important to note that Mayo's already 23 years old. One only gets so long to make money; sensing Mayo may have wanted to get started.

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  30m
Marquette now has 9 eligible players on its roster to begin next season. Will be 10 (Luke Fischer) in second semester. #mubb

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  30m
MU release notes Mayo leaves program in good academic standing

Retweeted by Paint Touches
Andrew Gruman @AndrewGruman  ·  32m
Marquette's returning leading scorer is now Deonte Burton at 6.9 PPG. #mubb
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2014, 06:27:35 PM »
Dude went to 4 high schools,  the fact we got him to 3 seasons is a borderline miracle.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 06:28:18 PM »
I'll simply wish Todd the best going forward.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 06:28:44 PM »

Wojo is certainly not gonna just play players off seniority. Todd probably expected it to be his show and since its not. He gone

MaymonsPops

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »
This is fine if Todd wasn't interested in school... he wasn't going to boost his draft stock as a 23 year old this season so he should turn pro and make some money. I'm excited to get the young guys some good run this year. There is one thing I will dearly miss about Todd Mayo though. Quotes like the following (all pulled from the scoop):

"If we're looking for our Kemba Walker...he's wearing #4 for the Warriors."

"Todd Mayo, Marquette's Kemba Walker.
Take us to glory, Todd!!"

"When the "experts" say what this team can't do, Buzz puts that chip on their shoulder, and gets them to do something unexpected. Were the expectations too much this year? Did this team buy into the hype? Maybe, but I could see Buzz pushing the right buttons next week to get us into a Saturday night game. Mayo has the potential in him to have a Kemba Walker like week."

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2014, 06:37:18 PM »
Have any players who voluntarily quit school and gone D-League ever made the NBA?

I think Chico and I called this a while back...not sure this was voluntary...

Death on call

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2014, 06:38:53 PM »
So, he wasn't Creaned and he wasn't Buzz Cut, was he told to find a new house key?
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 06:42:03 PM »
Somewhere in America Jujuan Johnson is celebrating....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2014, 06:49:35 PM »
My gut is telling me that this was a wojo decision. Best of luck to Todd in his future endeavors. I hope he gets his cup of coffee one day
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
Won't miss his terrible defense and loose handle.

And most of his scoring seemed to happen when the team was in desparation mode.  He never seemed to do much early in games in scoring to affect the outcome.

feedback