[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: ESPN Wisconsin Thinks MU Is An Afterthought  (Read 12264 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: ESPN Wisconsin Thinks MU Is An Afterthought
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »
Yes - Scouts and Rivals both have him as a 4-star.

Do your homework instead of trying to be clever with MessNBC.

easy brandy. first off, i was just asking about the star thing.  if he's a legit 4-star, good for him-thanks, kind of.  wow, isn't that what this board is for?  a little information exchange?  people are so damn quick to lift their leg on this board if you're not in the club.  2nd, so what if i was being clever with Msnbc-hit a nerve? ?-( 
don't...don't don't don't don't

brandx

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 03:45:11 PM »
easy brandy. first off, i was just asking about the star thing.  if he's a legit 4-star, good for him-thanks, kind of.  wow, isn't that what this board is for?  a little information exchange?  people are so damn quick to lift their leg on this board if you're not in the club.  2nd, so what if i was being clever with Msnbc-hit a nerve? ?-( 

I'm not saying you're wrong - but the scouts see him as a 4-star. I agree with you as to whether he is that good. Maybe a step up from Jake Thomas or Riley Lachance.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »
I am pretty sure that Pritzel was a three star when he committed to UW. The next rankings moved him up to a 4 star. Wojo also offered him a scholarship.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 09:09:41 PM »
I am pretty sure that Pritzel was a three star when he committed to UW. The next rankings moved him up to a 4 star. Wojo also offered him a scholarship.

He also had a pretty good summer. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »
I know this is going to hurt some people to admit:

MU is an afterthought in the state of Wisco.

MU could win 15 National Championships in a row, and it wouldn't matter. UW is what most people like.

I'll tell you what: Let's win the 15 straight titles and then see what happens!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 01:46:57 AM »

The following year, La Crosse’s Bronson Koenig decided to go to Wisconsin despite offers from most of the major programs in the country.

I laughed at this until I looked it up. Does he dabble in LAX?

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »
Besides the Bucks; public interest is tied to wins and losses with Marquette than anyone else.   I can always judge how big Marquette is with the general public when I go to large festivals such as State Fair.
Last year at State Fair I would say that for every 3 Badger hat/shirt, their was 1 Marquette hat (Which is a very good ratio when you consider that State Fair draws people from across the state who might have never heard of Marquette).
This year at State Fair I would say the ratio was more like 15 to 1.    Which is the worst that I have seen it in the past 12 years of going to state fair. 

Marquette and the Bucks are always going to be treated like Supplements.  Sometimes you take them when you hear good reviews about them, but your not going to be taking them everyday like you would your heart medication (Packers, Badgers, Brewers).       
This is okay because I have always said as long as the young people thought we were cool than things would be alright.   
As someone who works at a diverse high school I can tell you that Marquette is still considered the edgier school, the cool one.  If the Badgers are CNN than Marquette is MTV.   I think a lot of this had to do with Buzz.  We recruited players that were not saints, but could ball and make it to the league.   With WOJO I am worried that the cool factor might start running dry.  We are recruiting a different type of player, and I think we are probably going to be more like Mike Brey ND teams (Not bad, but Vanilla).    In the meantime I am worried that with a Diamond Stone commit for the badgers, which looks like a real possibility, they will get that inner city cred factor that could make them the ultimate hot bed for recruits.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 01:32:46 PM »
Besides the Bucks; public interest is tied to wins and losses with Marquette than anyone else.   I can always judge how big Marquette is with the general public when I go to large festivals such as State Fair.
Last year at State Fair I would say that for every 3 Badger hat/shirt, their was 1 Marquette hat (Which is a very good ratio when you consider that State Fair draws people from across the state who might have never heard of Marquette).
This year at State Fair I would say the ratio was more like 15 to 1.    Which is the worst that I have seen it in the past 12 years of going to state fair. 

Marquette and the Bucks are always going to be treated like Supplements.  Sometimes you take them when you hear good reviews about them, but your not going to be taking them everyday like you would your heart medication (Packers, Badgers, Brewers).       
This is okay because I have always said as long as the young people thought we were cool than things would be alright.   
As someone who works at a diverse high school I can tell you that Marquette is still considered the edgier school, the cool one.  If the Badgers are CNN than Marquette is MTV.   I think a lot of this had to do with Buzz.  We recruited players that were not saints, but could ball and make it to the league.   With WOJO I am worried that the cool factor might start running dry.  We are recruiting a different type of player, and I think we are probably going to be more like Mike Brey ND teams (Not bad, but Vanilla).    In the meantime I am worried that with a Diamond Stone commit for the badgers, which looks like a real possibility, they will get that inner city cred factor that could make them the ultimate hot bed for recruits.
In general I agree with what your saying.I think these things go in fairly long cycles. If you look back into the 70s , the Badgers were a joke in basketball and football and no one cared. The university administration in Madison was trying to emulate Northwestern and holding athletes to the academic standards similar to the student body at large. Marquette was a Basketball blue blood and a very clear number 2 after UCLA. There was no cable or internet in those days, The networks and  newspapers focused primarily on Marquette.

A couple of things happened at Wisconsin. In the 80s, They lowered the standard for Athletes and upped the academic standard for regular students. The football team started to show some life. The school became a much more sought after institution to attend.  When Donna Shalala took ove in the late 80sr, she brought in  Pat Richter to take sports to the next level in order to raise more money for the endowment. This culminated in the Badgers winning the Rose Bowl and becoming a football force. This provided the rocket fuel for the basketball program to take off. So now with their large entrench alumni base and success the Badgers are definitely more in media focus than Us. That is to be expected.

On the other hand we have fully recovered from our dark days. We have built a very strong program and our academics are on the rise. We are a very desirable school in many respects. As you say we are considered more edgy.  As a result we still get a solid amount of media coverage. Our media coverage ebbs and flows with our success.  Right now Wisconsin is doing well and we are obviously down so the differential is a little wide than recent years.I don't think Diamond Stone going to Wisconsin will radically change their image and street cred as long as Bo is their coach. They are a Big Ten program and will always have that going for the.

feedback