[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: ESPN Wisconsin Thinks MU Is An Afterthought  (Read 12267 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
ESPN Wisconsin Thinks MU Is An Afterthought
« on: July 30, 2014, 04:09:53 PM »
No mention of Luke Fisher or Denote Burton.  Or Philip Nolan, Or Jaymeel McKay.

Could it be because none appeared interested in UW and all were MU targets (players)?

Thinking about this, read this article.  It seems that all that matters is Bucky and MU is about as important as UW-Oshkosh as all MU gets is the obligatory afterthought.

And this from the home state website!

-----------------------------

Badgers basketball: UW targets among best NBA prospects

http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=45&post_id=39231

MADISON - The state of Wisconsin has produced some very good high school basketball players in recent years.

There was J.P. Tokoto (North Carolina) from Menomonee Falls and Sheboygan’s Sam Dekker (Wisconsin) in the class of 2012.

The following year, La Crosse’s Bronson Koenig decided to go to Wisconsin despite offers from most of the major programs in the country. There was also Dominican’s Duane Wilson (Marquette) and Onalaska’s Matt Thomas (Iowa State).  

In the class of 2014, Milwaukee Hamilton’s Kevon Looney chose UCLA over Duke, Kansas, Louisville and others, while Seymour’s Sandy Cohen picked Marquette.

But all of those players – and classes for that matter – will have to take a backseat to the 2015 group that is heading into their senior year this fall.  

4-star guard Brevin Pritzl (De Pere) committed to Bo Ryan and the Badgers earlier this year, while new Marquette coach Steve Wojciechowski has 4-star guard Nick Noskowiak (Sun Prairie) and 3-star forward Matt Heldt (Neenah) on board.

But it’s the top two players in the state that have every coach in the country salivating. 5-star center Diamond Stone (Dominican) is rated as the top player in the state by ESPN, and the No. 4 overall prospect in the entire country. And just a spot behind him in the national rankings is 5-star forward Henry Ellenson (Rice Lake), who tweeted on Tuesday that he had made the Team USA U-17 squad.

The Badgers are recruiting both heavily – as is Marquette, Kentucky, Duke and others. If UW does manage to get either player to commit, they may not be around long.

On Tuesday, ESPN’s Jeff Goodman published a story in which he names Stone (No. 3) and Ellenson (No. 6) among the top NBA prospects in the class of 2015.

On the 6-foot-10, 255-pound, Stone:

“He’s a legit big man who is skilled and can score in the post. Stone possesses good footwork and already has the body at 6-foot-10 and more than 250 pounds. Stone will make a college decision on Nov. 12 -- likely choosing from Wisconsin, Kentucky, Kansas, Marquette and UConn.”

On the 6-foot-10, 230-pound, Ellenson:

“He’s a long and skilled big man who has dropped significant weight in the past year. We’re not saying he’s going to be Dirk Nowitzki, but he’s got a similar skill set for someone his size. Ellenson can shoot and handle the ball at 6-foot-10, and rarely posts up nowadays. His older brother, Wally, recently transferred to Marquette -- and other schools squarely in the equation include Wisconsin and Michigan State. Duke, Kentucky, UNC and Michigan are also involved.”

Tums Festival

• All American
Re: ESPN Wisconsin Thinks MU Is An Afterthought
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »
It is a little strange they would omit the two highest rated players from the state's 2013 class. Then again ESPN is renown for their objectivity and fairness.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 04:35:02 PM »
That's the ESPN blog by their UW-Madison reporter. Nothing to get butthurt over.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 04:57:36 PM »
Heisenberg, your enthusiasm for MU is commendable but...

YOU'RE READING ESPN WI's UW BEAT WRITER'S BLOG!

This would be like complaining about Patriots coverage in Kevin Seifert's articles.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:23:46 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:14:42 PM »
It has been well documented that ESPN doesn't want any of its writers or coverage to acknowledge the Big East.  It officially doesn't exist to them.  When the old Big East refused the huge money deal a few years ago, they made their priority to destroy the league (convincing Syracuse and Pittsburgh to leave for the ACC).

Between that and the latest Stephen A. Smith garbage, I'm officially done with ESPN.  I will be watching FS1 from now on.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »
The way it is trending, at least in the short term, MU is an afterthought.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:25:34 PM »
It has been well documented that ESPN doesn't want any of its writers or coverage to acknowledge the Big East.  It officially doesn't exist to them.  When the old Big East refused the huge money deal a few years ago, they made their priority to destroy the league (convincing Syracuse and Pittsburgh to leave for the ACC).

Between that and the latest Stephen A. Smith garbage, I'm officially done with ESPN.  I will be watching FS1 from now on.

Please tell me you're only 10 years old.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:27:12 PM »
It has been well documented that ESPN doesn't want any of its writers or coverage to acknowledge the Big East.

"Well-documented?"

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 07:28:31 PM »

This would be like complaining about Patriots coverage in Kevin Seifert's articles.

Wasn't Kevin Seifert the Vikings beat writer for the Star-Tribune prior to joining espn.com?  I don't think he's ever had anything to do with N.E.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »

That makes it ok to forget about Luke Fisher and Denote Burton (and Philip Nolan and Jaymeel McKay) in his list of players but made sure he noted that THREE STAR Matt Heldt committed to MU.

Why not tell Bucky Fans  that both of the big basketball schools are competing for the two big prizes in the state.  Then argue the uw position?

Why be a second rate hack?  Is that his goal in life?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 08:40:37 PM »
It mentioned that UW got a four star commitment and MU has a 4 star and 3 star all from the State of WI. I see nothing wrong with that. Better than not mentioning Matt Heldt at all.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 10:17:04 PM »
I'm too busy getting all worked up about Wojo recruiting too many bigs to get all worked up about this article.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 05:44:56 AM »
i can see it...the article was definitely being written while being bent over by bucky, but espn?  they are slowly becoming the MessNBC of the sports world to me.  brevin pritzl?  seems like a great kid and all, but 4-star?  i'll admit that i've only seen him play a few times.  he has scored a lot of points through his junior year, but 4-star?  i'm open and ready to be proved wrong, but he just didn't seem to have a big ten(eleven, twelve,...) body.  yes, i know he's only 17ish, but you know how when you look at certain guys, you can tell by their frames, that they have the ability to get bigger.  not just taller though.  unless he gets barry bonds as his trainer...he may surprise as josh gasser did develop into a very solid player under bo. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 06:46:40 AM »
It mentioned that UW got a four star commitment and MU has a 4 star and 3 star all from the State of WI. I see nothing wrong with that. Better than not mentioning Matt Heldt at all.

I wasn't in any way dissin Heldt.  I was noting that he (purposely?) did not mention Luke Fisher and Denote Burton and made sure everyone knew Heldt was lower ranked. 

It came off and selective use of facts to make sure MU came off as poorly as possible.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 07:13:17 AM »
I wasn't in any way dissin Heldt.  I was noting that he (purposely?) did not mention Luke Fisher and Denote Burton and made sure everyone knew Heldt was lower ranked. 

It came off and selective use of facts to make sure MU came off as poorly as possible.

I'm assuming the reason Pritzl and Heldt were included over Burton or Fischer is that they are both in this year's class, the same as Stone and Ellenson.  Don't really think there is much here.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »
That makes it ok to forget about Luke Fisher and Denote Burton (and Philip Nolan and Jaymeel McKay) in his list of players but made sure he noted that THREE STAR Matt Heldt committed to MU.

Why not tell Bucky Fans  that both of the big basketball schools are competing for the two big prizes in the state.  Then argue the uw position?

Why be a second rate hack?  Is that his goal in life?

The purpose of the article was not to catalog and rank all players from Wisconsin. It was to highlight that while there have been some great players, none compare to Stone and Ellenson.  You don't have to list EVERY player from Wisconsin over the past few years to make that point.

So what if the guy didn't mention Fischer or Burton? He did mention Noskowiak, Heidt, Duane Wilson and Flory--and not in any manner derogatory to MU. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 08:35:54 AM »
I know this is going to hurt some people to admit:

MU is an afterthought in the state of Wisco.

MU could win 15 National Championships in a row, and it wouldn't matter. UW is what most people like.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »
And the state of Wisconsin is an after-thought to the city of Milwaukee (or the metro area).  They're a bunch of hicks with cow crap on their shoes.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 09:04:54 AM »
Lots of chicago peeps like MU, just draw a circle around milwaukee and chicago and make that a new state.  Cool?  cool. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 09:25:32 AM »
Lots of chicago peeps like MU, just draw a circle around milwaukee and chicago and make that a new state.  Cool?  cool.  

chicago is a great place to visit, but otherwise, it'll be called "detroit-south" if they don't clean up their chit ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:09:30 PM by rocket surgeon »
don't...don't don't don't don't

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 09:25:52 AM »
And the state of Wisconsin is an after-thought to the city of Milwaukee (or the metro area).  They're a bunch of hicks with cow crap on their shoes.

Don't be butthurt. People like the Badgers. So what?

Even in Milwaukee, MU is an afterthought. Big. Deal.

Modern media isn't necessarily about "fair", it's bout sales/demand. There is more demand for Badgers coverage. This ain't new.

Again, MU could win every national title from now until forever, and people would still like the Badgers more. It's just the way it is.

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 01:04:41 PM »
I know this is going to hurt some people to admit:

MU is an afterthought in the state of Wisco.

MU could win 15 National Championships in a row, and it wouldn't matter. UW is what most people like.
[/qoute

Agree in general with the Wisconsin theory.

But if MU really won 15 NCs in a row, MU would be ellivated higher than UCLA, DUKE, Kentucky, Indiana, etc.......and far, far above Wisconsin as far as hoops supremecy is concerned. That would be an epic, unprecedented run in a era of hoops equality. MU would get 5 top ten recruits a year with that resume.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 01:27:43 PM »
Agree in general with the Wisconsin theory.

But if MU really won 15 NCs in a row, MU would be ellivated higher than UCLA, DUKE, Kentucky, Indiana, etc.......and far, far above Wisconsin as far as hoops supremecy is concerned. That would be an epic, unprecedented run in a era of hoops equality. MU would get 5 top ten recruits a year with that resume.

Yes and no.

If you look at North Carolina (as a state), there are not many Duke fans compared to UNC or even NC State.

Nationally, Duke gets a lot of pub and they have a big fanbase, but don't be mistaken, it's the "Tar heal State", just like Wisconsin will always be the "Badger State".

MU is never going to have the fanbase that UW has locally. It just won't happen.

Now, I don't say any of this to be a wet blanket, but just so people don't get so excited every time something appears to be "pro Badger". The vast majority of people in this state don't care about MU, so the media is going to reflect that.

The same way everything is PACKERS PACKERS PACKERS, and the Bucks don't get much coverage unless they are in a deep playoff run.

boyonthedock

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »
I don't find this article particularly dismissive of MU hoops, and if it was, one team went to the final four last year and the other... did not. But I'm ot gonna get twisted up in knots about an article that mentions 4 MU guys and has MU listed right behind bucky for Stone and Ellenson.

Also, I think Marquette would get Milwaukee over the 50/50 badgers/MU mark with the hypothetical 15 NCs, if not the whole state.

brandx

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »
i can see it...the article was definitely being written while being bent over by bucky, but espn?  they are slowly becoming the MessNBC of the sports world to me.  brevin pritzl?  seems like a great kid and all, but 4-star?  i'll admit that i've only seen him play a few times.  he has scored a lot of points through his junior year, but 4-star?  i'm open and ready to be proved wrong, but he just didn't seem to have a big ten(eleven, twelve,...) body.  yes, i know he's only 17ish, but you know how when you look at certain guys, you can tell by their frames, that they have the ability to get bigger.  not just taller though.  unless he gets barry bonds as his trainer...he may surprise as josh gasser did develop into a very solid player under bo. 

Yes - Scouts and Rivals both have him as a 4-star.

Do your homework instead of trying to be clever with MessNBC.

feedback